Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Chakan posted:

Buddy, you have no idea.

I took a look at the twitter account mentioned, AltaFoxCapital, and it didn't take long for me to find a link to an outline of why the proposal to tax billionaires was wrong-headed. Looking through the website it seems like they're focused almost exclusively with the idea that the stock price should be higher. Not surprising, but the fig leaf of "being magic players" falls away as soon as you realize that nothing they care about has anything to do with magic as a game and everything to do with MTG as a product they believe is undervalued in the market.

Likewise, their "Our Ideas" section is several one-sentence vague concepts that suggest things are bad at Wizards and they have solutions to modernize and reinvest in the business.

e: some people are talking about this in the TG as an Industry thread

I mean, don't criticize them for lacking detail then fail to link their 100 page very detailed report where they explain themselves.. Which, frankly, makes perfectly good points throughout. And realistically their goal isn't to get the board seat and have it happen. More like to change the aim of a giant containership a little bit and see if it improves things 12 to 24 months later.

Who can honestly say hasbro has been good for wotc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, don't criticize them for lacking detail then fail to link their 100 page very detailed report where they explain themselves.. Which, frankly, makes perfectly good points throughout. And realistically their goal isn't to get the board seat and have it happen. More like to change the aim of a giant containership a little bit and see if it improves things 12 to 24 months later.

Years MtG was published while WotC was an independent entity: 6 (up to Mercadian Masques, more or less).
Years MtG was published while WotC was a Hasbro division: 23.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, don't criticize them for lacking detail then fail to link their 100 page very detailed report where they explain themselves..

Must’ve missed that on the page, thought I looked pretty hard. Sorry.

Still, my problems with the way that wotc has been run are based in the idea that the game should be more profitable and focus on the growth of the brand. I would rather the quality of the game come first, which it’s starkly evident that this group disagrees with.

It doesn’t help that I am disgusted by rich people. I guess I should admit that people who argue against modest tax increases for billionaires should be put in the stocks and run out of town.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Yeah they make some good points, but it sounds like some investment firm douchebags trying to wrestle a lucrative portion of the business (WotC) away from Hasbro so they can loot the poo poo out of it and GeNeRaTe VaLuE fOr ThE sHaReHoLdErS before parachuting away. The game is fine where it is imo.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
There’s no wresting away or anything. If Hasbro spins off Wizards current shareholders of Hasbro will get shares of both the separate company and legacy Hasbro.

I’d prefer Wizards to be its own separate company. It’s clearly the fastest growing and most profitable part of Hasbro and would rather the company be able to properly use that money to invest in the future instead of subsidizing Hasbro’s other businesses

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I can promise you Hasbro cares more about Magic than a hedge fund, and it’s wild to see people jumping head over heels for one just because it’s related to the hobby they have.

“Hasbro bad” is not an argument for rich investment douchebags. It’s exactly what those NFT assholes were doing. “Hasbro/Wizards doesn’t know how to run Magic, but if you BUY ALL OUR NFT CARDS you can make the perfect game, better than Hasbro!!!”

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 18, 2022

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

I can promise you Hasbro cares more about Magic than a hedge fund, and it’s wild to see people jumping head over heels for one just because it’s related to the hobby they have.

That’s just the wrong framing. The question is whether an independent WotC would care more about Magic than Hasbro does and I think it’s pretty clear that it would

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Adun posted:

That’s just the wrong framing. The question is whether an independent WotC would care more about Magic than Hasbro does and I think it’s pretty clear that it would

Why?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Would Jon Finkle scrap a game he doesn't play anymore for parts?
I ask you!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Presumably because Magic is a large part of Hasbro's income but load-bearing to a new WotC's income.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Adun posted:

No

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I think the even more important question is what do you mean by “care about magic?” As a player I care about Magic in a much different way than a corporation. Caring more about magic likely means relying on it more heavily for revenue which could ultimately make things worse for us consumers.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Presumably because Magic is a large part of Hasbro's income but load-bearing to a new WotC's income.

I'll rephrase it: why should an independent WotC care less about profit?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Aranan posted:

Hideaway weirdly also means the thing with hideaway enters the battlefield tapped.

Hideaway literally only exists because the reminder text is shorter than the rules text would've been.

I'm not sure why they thought the juice was worth the squeeze

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Because they’ll actually have to think long term instead of Hasbro treating it like a cash cow that requires very little investment.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'll rephrase it: why should an independent WotC care less about profit?

"Because Jon Finkle :swoon:" I believe is the argument being made here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Michael Jordan of magic.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Hideaway literally only exists because the reminder text is shorter than the rules text would've been.

Sometimes you need keywords for a file and don't want the community to come up with the names. That's how we have people asking the difference between "Slow Lands", "Slow Duals", and "Tango Lands"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Adun posted:

Because they’ll actually have to think long term instead of Hasbro treating it like a cash cow that requires very little investment.

Hasbro has kept the property for more twenty years. How is this not thinking long term?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Michael Jordan of magic.

Michael Jordan would 100% scrab the NBA to pad his bank account out of spite that any player would dare continue to play the game and challenge his status as GOAT.

...Unless they bet him he couldn't.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Adun posted:

I hate to break it to you man but if this were to happen, Finkle & Co. would release MORE Secret Lairs because they’re proven to be an easy way to print money, which is the literal only thing a hedge fund cares about.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Hedge fund... "think long term" :cawg:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

YggdrasilTM posted:

Hasbro has kept the property for more twenty years. How is this not thinking long term?

I think they’ve been pretty clearly underinvesting in Magic? Especially on the digital side of Arena and MTGO.

Even Hasbro clearly thinks that the future of the company is Wizards, why else would they promote the guy running that division to be the CEO? I think there’s a pretty convincing argument that soon Hasbro will be a Magic the Gathering company with a toys business bolted onto it, which probably doesn’t make any sense, especially with Hasbro’s strategy of just like paying high fixed costs for rights to make branded toys.

GonSmithe posted:

I hate to break it to you man but if this were to happen, Finkle & Co. would release MORE Secret Lairs because they’re proven to be an easy way to print money, which is the literal only thing a hedge fund cares about.

I hate to break it you man but what do you think Hasbro cares about

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Love to have an investment firm swoop in on a long-term successful enterprise so they can take control and really improve a product in every way like they usually do

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Reynold posted:

Love to have an investment firm swoop in on a long-term successful enterprise so they can take control and really improve a product in every way like they usually do

Wizards is like a $10bio company. This tiny hedge fund can’t “take control”

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Wizards/MTG generates a lot of cash and instead of plowing that back into investment in the game or making Arena better or improving printing to not gently caress up foils Hasbro has been using that money to buy Peppa Pig and to buy IP that they can then force WotC to make games around like GI Joe.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

“Activist investor” is the dumbest poo poo I’ve ever heard

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah I’m an activist. What? Police brutality? Climate change? No, I give companies money and tell them how to make more money so I make more money

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah I’m an activist. What? Police brutality? Climate change? No, I give companies money and tell them how to make more money so I make more money

Going to actively invest in SA (buy several banner ads) so I can become a mod and ban people who post things like "The question is whether an independent WotC would care more about Magic than Hasbro does and I think it’s pretty clear that it would"

e:VVV lol

Chakan fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 18, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chakan posted:

Going to actively invest in SA (buy several banner ads) so I can become a mod and ban people who post things like "The question is whether an independent WotC would care more about Magic than Hasbro does and I think it’s pretty clear that it would"

The Virgin Free Palestine vs. the Chad Free WotC

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Virgin Free Palestine vs. the Chad Free WotC

Lol

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
We’re all spending thousands of dollars on a kids game while the world burns. The moral superiority is a bit weird.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I vaguely recall hearing/reading that it was a larger mechanic that was present on more cards early in design, but got pruned back to only be on those lands. Who knows, though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adun posted:

We’re all spending thousands of dollars on a kids game while the world burns. The moral superiority is a bit weird.

I will happily feel morally superior to literal capitalists thank you very much

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I’m a thousandaire

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You guys are spending thousands on this game?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
You guys are only spending thousands on this game?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

You guys are spending on this game?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you guys game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chakan posted:

e:VVV lol

I mean technically it’s true, a separate WotC basically only has two product lines (MtG and D&D) and would care about MtG a lot more just by virtue of not sharing time thinking about Transformers or MLP. Now would that care be represented in shutting down Secret Lairs, rebuilding a Magic professional league, etc? I sincerely doubt it.