Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chillyrabbit posted:

But I do agree that 20+ people, the pretty extensive damage and the fact that they actually confronted police at a roadblock by being there to throw smoke bombs instead of you know actually being afraid of being arrested and spending the time to blockade a road to throw stuff at police. Who in the dark have no problem shooting at you since they can't tell if you are throwing a grenade or rock. Strains the belief of it being locals/anti-pipeline crowd.

That part of the account is what gives it away as fake imo such a silly narrative "our hero officers bravely fought through the traps" like any actual group organized to have done this, who wasn't aligned with the police, would have been capable of just killing the police rather than assaulting them

maybe somebody at the rcmp rewatched SPIRAL: FROM THE BOOK OF SAW recently i dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

rip that lich, you're honking 3am truck horns at the angels in heaven now

Liches dont go to heaven. she's been banished back to the negative energy plane

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Liches dont go to heaven. she's been banished back to the negative energy plane

Liches themselves don’t but the undying and deathless do.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

completely unrelated to the convoy poo poo, but things are getting wild in northern BC

https://twitter.com/kainagata/status/1494467416855703554

gee, what convenient timing

now this here is an effective pipeline protest

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

That part of the account is what gives it away as fake imo such a silly narrative "our hero officers bravely fought through the traps" like any actual group organized to have done this, who wasn't aligned with the police, would have been capable of just killing the police rather than assaulting them

maybe somebody at the rcmp rewatched SPIRAL: FROM THE BOOK OF SAW recently i dunno

yeah this is true. if this really was a group going full gurilla warfare those cops would be dead from the ambush

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Chillyrabbit posted:

Have there ever been any actual ecoterroism perpetuated by an eco group? because off hand I always keep thinking of the French false flag sinking that ship

ELF is the only thing that comes to mind

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Liberation_Front

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

Have there ever been any actual ecoterroism perpetuated by an eco group? because off hand I always keep thinking of the French false flag sinking that ship
there was that goon who built a bomb to blow up some cows at a dairy farm to save the environment but then got cold feet when he found out that his friends who said they would help him weren't being serious and then got permabanned for posting about it

this website truly is a rich tapestry

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

there was that goon who built a bomb to blow up some cows at a dairy farm to save the environment but then got cold feet when he found out that his friends who said they would help him weren't being serious and then got permabanned for posting about it

this website truly is a rich tapestry

that’s got to be a trailer park boys episode

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
They aren't try threatening capital. They have the support of capital. loving Elon Musk is cheering them on. Capital wants health mandates gone. These people are so loving dumb

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They’re oafs, this is what oafs do.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm sure ol' musky thought it was hilarious the one industry they were hurting was his competitors

if these guys had hosed with a tesla production line... well actually not sure if anyone would have noticed, but he'd be pissed and calling them communists if that had happened

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Opposing the use of the emergencies act isn't necessarily siding with the convoy. Just like opposing violent police crackdown isn't necessarily in support of the convoy.

But I do think it is incorrect to think of protest in terms of 'rights' as a principle, and as upheld by the state. The ability to protest and to sway politics doesn't stem from a universal human right granted by the liberal capitalist state. Instead it is an aspect of power, and that should be very clear after the last three weeks. Groups with significant power are granted much more leeway by the state. As people have noted, the current protest has really only begun to face push back after their protest began to interrupt the flow of capital, when they became a challenge to a more powerful group.

On the other side, we have seen all through history the state and capital have no issues ignoring the 'rights' of marginalized groups, especially those who are in the way of capitalist development. The law and the principle of universal rights is only applied when it benefits power.

So when talking about the imposition of the emergencies act, we shouldn't think of the legal system as a neutral ground that is being corrupted in a way that will be used against opposition groups in the future. The legal system is a tool of the liberal capitalist state, it is not neutral and has always been used to legitimate and defend the hegemonic order. The legal system can be a ground of contestation, but the success of struggle in that realm doesn't spring from principles of human rights, it springs from the relative power of the social groups and classes using the legal system as an avenue of struggle. The same is true of protest.

Basically it's about power, not precedent.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm extremely dumb at this stuff but the way i see it is capital is not a perfectly homogenous group, no more than the left or the convoy is. this thing had the support of some capital that would benefit from destabilizing entrenched capital in canada. this lead to some interesting things like the auto industry owners and unions allying themselves on this.

makes me dream of how different things could be if the regionalism in canada wasn't so strong, it really is used as a wedge to divide a lot of potential allies (and yes i'm completely ignoring the complications of intersectionality in all this).

it's extremely telling that a lot of canadian leftists correctly pointed out how there are truckers that are exploited in ontario while the mainstream media has barely mentioned them at all through all this.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
checkpoints are in place. can’t get into wellington without declaring your intention, kent street exit just closed totally. morning commute was a nightmare

will the chuds hold the line over the weekend? time will tell I suppose

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
would have been wild if they did this, uh, three weeks ago

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck Rodgers posted:

Opposing the use of the emergencies act isn't necessarily siding with the convoy. Just like opposing violent police crackdown isn't necessarily in support of the convoy.

But I do think it is incorrect to think of protest in terms of 'rights' as a principle, and as upheld by the state. The ability to protest and to sway politics doesn't stem from a universal human right granted by the liberal capitalist state. Instead it is an aspect of power, and that should be very clear after the last three weeks. Groups with significant power are granted much more leeway by the state. As people have noted, the current protest has really only begun to face push back after their protest began to interrupt the flow of capital, when they became a challenge to a more powerful group.

On the other side, we have seen all through history the state and capital have no issues ignoring the 'rights' of marginalized groups, especially those who are in the way of capitalist development. The law and the principle of universal rights is only applied when it benefits power.

So when talking about the imposition of the emergencies act, we shouldn't think of the legal system as a neutral ground that is being corrupted in a way that will be used against opposition groups in the future. The legal system is a tool of the liberal capitalist state, it is not neutral and has always been used to legitimate and defend the hegemonic order. The legal system can be a ground of contestation, but the success of struggle in that realm doesn't spring from principles of human rights, it springs from the relative power of the social groups and classes using the legal system as an avenue of struggle. The same is true of protest.

they didn't need the emergencies act to tear gas g20 protestors. they are cracking the shrinkwrap on it now because they are anticipating much bigger unrest in the future

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

they didn't need the emergencies act to tear gas g20 protestors. they are cracking the shrinkwrap on it now because they are anticipating much bigger unrest in the future

yep it's absolutely going to be used against the left. i'm deliberately trying to avoid hyperbole like "can't wait to have my assets frozen for donating to greenpeace" but orgs and participants that engage in direct action, no matter how conscious they are to avoid harming ordinary people, are going to be targeted in the future, especially if this ends up entrenched in law.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

yep it's absolutely going to be used against the left. i'm deliberately trying to avoid hyperbole like "can't wait to have my assets frozen for donating to greenpeace" but orgs and participants that engage in direct action, no matter how conscious they are to avoid harming ordinary people, are going to be targeted in the future, especially if this ends up entrenched in law.

the left is never going to beat money using money

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
more accurately, the polices behaviour here is motivating the federal level to take a more active role in suppressing unrest. this is a centralization of authority rather than any notable change in power

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cold on a Cob posted:

It might be closer to home. What if you've donated to the Wet'suwet'en CGL blockade group? Or camp Morningstar in MB? Will your accounts be frozen then? It doesn't seem like a coincidence that this CGL stuff is happening now.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Donate by mailing in cash

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

would have been wild if they did this, uh, three weeks ago

nobody cared 3 weeks ago because it hadn't made anyone who mattered lose money yet

they made a mistake by blocking the bridges, that actually did something and so now the indifferent thumb of god is reaching down from olympus to crush them for daring to tread in his domain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they tried to come to toronto two weeks ago and the police here set up barricades and checkpoints around queens park, and lo, they hosed right back off after a day because they couldn't get dug in. ops could have trivially done the same, and they didn't, for whatever reason, and now we're on week 3, the chief of police has resigned, city hall is melting down, and the prime minister has invoked the emergencies act

for want of some barricades and a couple checkpoints

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fried Watermelon posted:

Donate by mailing in cash

I'm new at this. I thought supporting my favourite rebels was as easy as ordering throwing knives on amazon

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

infernal machines posted:

they tried to come to toronto two weeks ago and the police here set up barricades and checkpoints around queens park, and lo, they hosed right back off after a day because they couldn't get dug in. ops could have trivially done the same, and they didn't, for whatever reason, and now we're on week 3, the chief of police has resigned, city hall is melting down, and the prime minister has invoked the emergencies act

for want of some barricades and a couple checkpoints

Yes, exactly. Even if you hate the chuds, the emergency act was never needed to stomp on them. God knows what nonsense the federal government is going to get up to while they have this power

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

email every NDP MP and tell them to vote against it. they can technically still vote it down

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Yeah my point is that it's not the use of the emergencies act that is the problem. As you point out they didn't need it in the past, and they wouldn't have needed it in the future to crackdown on movements that are threatening to capital. They absolutely will use it, because the use of it now legitimates abuses of power in the future. But they would have found another way to legitimate crackdowns on future unrest if they didn't have the emergencies act precedent.

The legal system is a tool of power, and the way to oppose it's use is not to reference and debate principles of universal human rights, it's to build and organize a power base that is capable of confronting the liberal capitalist state

E: and of course opposing it's use now can be part of that struggle

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Karach posted:

Yes, exactly. Even if you hate the chuds, the emergency act was never needed to stomp on them. God knows what nonsense the federal government is going to get up to while they have this power

imo the Emergencies Act wasn't necessitated by the chuds but the complete inability of Ottawa police to do anything about it. The emergency was the lack of police discipline in Ottawa.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Another Bill posted:

imo the Emergencies Act wasn't necessitated by the chuds but the complete inability of Ottawa police to do anything about it. The emergency was the lack of police discipline in Ottawa.

How has the act actually helped them to clear the protestors? What powers did the government lack before that the act gave them? I've been unclear on this even after reading various news pieces.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Duck Rodgers posted:

this is a good post

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

How has the act actually helped them to clear the protestors? What powers did the government lack before that the act gave them? I've been unclear on this even after reading various news pieces.

it lets them use the rcmp for things that are in the jurisdiction of local police who are doing nothing

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Mighty convenient that there's a massive escalation in violence at one of the longest running and most publicized protests in the country, one which the right-wing have been increasingly trotting out as a screeching *whattabout* point over the past week - even as enforcement has ramped up against the Armed domestic terror cells blockading major border crossings.

Mighty convenient they managed to assault personnel with axes, bomb trucks, flip heavy equipment and injure an RCMP officer, and escape like ghosts without a trace. That no footage was taken in TYOOL 2022 where everyone carries a high definition camera phone at all times.

Might convenient that all this happens right as the Feds very loudly invoke the Emergency Act and grant the RCMP unprecedented enforcement powers - an event which has been blared on news media all week long. Truly, this is the perfect moment for protestors who have been entirely non-violent for over half a decade to decide that it is time to seriously start some poo poo.

Mighty convenient timing, indeed.

Certainly, nothing like this has ever happened before.

quote:

The RCMP bombed an oilsite in Alberta on October 14, 1998, on the instructions of the Alberta Energy Co. No injuries were caused or intended. The Crown lawyers, representing the government, accepted that the allegations were true. An Alberta farmer was blamed for the bombing. He had been complaining about oil pollution causing a nuisance. The court held him and another farmer without bail.

quote:

In April 1971, a team of RCMP officers broke into the storage facilities of Richelieu Explosives, and stole an unspecified amount of dynamite. A year later, in April 1972, officers hid four cases of dynamite in Mont Saint-Grégoire, in an attempt to link the explosives with the FLQ. This was later admitted by Solicitor General Francis Fox on October 31, 1977.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rime posted:

Mighty convenient that there's a massive escalation in violence at one of the longest running and most publicized protests in the country, one which the right-wing have been increasingly trotting out as a screeching *whattabout* point over the past week - even as enforcement has ramped up against the Armed domestic terror cells blockading major border crossings.

Mighty convenient they managed to assault personnel with axes, bomb trucks, flip heavy equipment and injure an RCMP officer, and escape like ghosts without a trace. That no footage was taken in TYOOL 2022 where everyone carries a high definition camera phone at all times.

Might convenient that all this happens right as the Feds very loudly invoke the Emergency Act and grant the RCMP unprecedented enforcement powers - an event which has been blared on news media all week long. Truly, this is the perfect moment for protestors who have been entirely non-violent for over half a decade to decide that it is time to seriously start some poo poo.

Mighty convenient timing, indeed.

Certainly, nothing like this has ever happened before.

And on top of all that, the twenty protesters somehow teleported their way into a remote site 69 km from the nearest town with only one road in or out, a road that is swarming with cops. Clearly these protesters are somehow superhuman in their strength, speed, and invisibility, which is only further cause for concern and demands a higher level of police militarization.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Those are just the times their schemes backfired and got revealed. I'm sure 99% of the bullshit the RCMP get up to is not documented

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

And on top of all that, the twenty protesters somehow teleported their way into a remote site 69 km from the nearest town with only one road in or out, a road that is swarming with cops. Clearly these protesters are somehow superhuman in their strength, speed, and invisibility, which is only further cause for concern and demands a higher level of police militarization.

I found a picture of the incident

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rutibex posted:

it lets them use the rcmp for things that are in the jurisdiction of local police who are doing nothing

Isnt it Ottawa police clearing the Ottawa protests right now?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karach posted:

they probably got dragged into a meeting where the feds told them "either you clear out your friends peacefully or the rcmp do it violently"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Karach posted:

They needed the foundation for RCMP to take over, establish a chain of command under the Feds with just them, OPP and PPS because OPS refuses to follow orders which has been talked around since the start but not specifically addressed or explicitly stated to the public.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Feb 18, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Karach posted:

It's OPS, OPP, RCMP, and various other GTA area police forces. There is an entire gang of London police roving out there for example.

That's London, Ontario, for the Americans ready to burst in with their hot take. Not the big clock and fuzzy hats one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Ok but we've also seen RCMP hugging protestors in Coutts, and in MB they refused to do anything about the blockade for ages.

How does putting the RCMP in charge help?

I'm just trying to put the puzzle together here.