Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

let's not even talk about the fact that the Ancient Sith Dagger Of Legend only works because a giant space station from like 30 years ago crashed in the exact location to perfectly align with the shape of the dagger lol

lmao would you indulge me and please explain because I'm imagining the Death Star II rolling around Endor like a hosed up spherical cookie cutter and it happens to roll over a stormtrooper bunker somewhere and cookie-cuts out a perfect evil lightsabre out of a comms console or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

lmao would you indulge me and please explain because I'm imagining the Death Star II rolling around Endor like a hosed up spherical cookie cutter and it happens to roll over a stormtrooper bunker somewhere and cookie-cuts out a perfect evil lightsabre out of a comms console or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Crusader posted:

engadget has an article up discussing today’s episode and postulates that it’s the spore drive cramping a lot of the secondary character development we ordinarily see… which I’m not sure I really agree with? imo they could have downtime between jumps/action, it’s not a setting problem in my mind

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1494311171054358532?s=21

this is a really silly take. They can extend stretch spore jumps exactly as much as they need through infinite means and even if they didn't they can still inset long moments of just talking and character building. They find time in the middle of literal battles and action scenes with a timer counting down to have drawn out whisper emotion convos and poo poo. Side characters are being disserviced by the writers period, it has nothing to do with them teleporting too fast. In all Trek, travel times and distances are entirely arbitrary according to the episode at hands' needs; if they need twenty minutes before backup arrives then there will be twenty minutes before backup arrives whether everyone has spore drives or spacehorse-drawn-carriages.

If anything since this is Burnham & the Band, not Arcade Fire, everything else becomes secondary to the lead singer.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

that plus this lmao, your thing would have been objectively less idiotic

e: the dagger, when lined up with that specific piece of wreckage, points to another specific piece of wreckage (the throne room) where the HolocronWayfinder is actually located

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: the dagger, when lined up with that specific piece of wreckage, points to another specific piece of wreckage (the throne room) where the HolocronWayfinder is actually located

Not that this isn’t stupid but it’s not way more stupid than “everything in the universe is connected by a mystical energy field which makes sure that what morally should happen does in fact happen,” aka the premise of the entirety of Star Wars. It’s just a lazy-rear end presentation of the concept that God the Force will be with you always, because the movie was made by people who had no confidence in it, no desire to make it, and in one case no actual ongoing biological existence.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the dagger CAN work because of the force and prescience and poo poo but it's DUMB on it's face and was a big mistake

The wreckage setpiece is cool though and metal in Star Wars is and has always been magic so it surviving is nbd

I'm surprised to hear such fire against Rogue One though

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

Rogue One isn't bad, but the rewrites and re-shoots stick out like a sore thumb, and the movie feels oddly bloated. (I think it's the sequence on Jedha that is just overly long and drags quite a bit.) It leans a bit too heavily into fan-service and some retcons, and the score is miserable. I don't really blame Giacchino for the score, though, as he had literally a month to compose and record the score after he replaced Alexandre Desplat.

Also, zombie Tarkin was a mistake.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So anyway, Star Trek.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah the spore drive has nothing to do with there not being enough downtime for the show to breathe and get some character moments in. The older shows had no problem with just cutting over hours or days of travel time in order to advance the plot. Even if they needed an excuse for downtime, it would be trivial to say "oh we had to put into starbase for repairs" or "we have to hang out at this spot for a few days to conduct observations" or whatever. It's entirely a writing decision.

Timby posted:

STOP REMINDING ME OF THESE THINGS

God. Really, I enjoyed Star Trek '09, and I also like most of Into Darkness outside of some incredibly clumsy dialogue and for how it basically resets all of the growth Kirk and Spock made in the first movie, and I appreciate JJ Abrams for doing what was needed to bring Trek back from the dead. But its success ultimately resulted in Alex Kurtzman becoming God King of Trek on TV and ... I don't know if that's a trade I'd be willing to make.

Alright I'm sorry but I gotta drop this anecdote:

I went to say TROS with a few friends, and on our way out of the theater one of them said "um... remember earlier in the movie when they showed the First Order going around abducting children to serve on their ships? Did... we just see countless thousands of child soldiers get killed in that final battle?" and we all had a :stare: moment as we took that in.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That said my own taste is that Discovery's fourth season is the best so far. I didn't care for the Klingon plot or spending fully a third of the season in the mirror universe in the first season, I hated the Section 31 and red angel bits in the second season, and I think things are moving a lot faster now that we're not bogged down in third season's "here's how the far-far-future is different" stuff. And also honestly I find Burnham's character works better as the actual captain than as the person constantly telling the captain what should be happening.

Are there still dumb writing decisions? Yeah sure (lol my friend and I were yelling at the screen when we watched that scene with the simulation in the spore drive room, "WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS WAIT UNTIL *AFTER* THE EVACUATION???") but that applies to just about all space opera.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That said my own taste is that Discovery's fourth season is the best so far. I didn't care for the Klingon plot or spending fully a third of the season in the mirror universe in the first season, I hated the Section 31 and red angel bits in the second season, and I think things are moving a lot faster now that we're not bogged down in third season's "here's how the far-far-future is different" stuff. And also honestly I find Burnham's character works better as the actual captain than as the person constantly telling the captain what should be happening.

Are there still dumb writing decisions? Yeah sure (lol my friend and I were yelling at the screen when we watched that scene with the simulation in the spore drive room, "WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS WAIT UNTIL *AFTER* THE EVACUATION???") but that applies to just about all space opera.

I get irrationally angry over detached nacelles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

So anyway, Star Trek.

No!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

oh no discovery is going to get seven seasons isnt it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

skasion posted:

Not that this isn’t stupid but it’s not way more stupid than “everything in the universe is connected by a mystical energy field which makes sure that what morally should happen does in fact happen,” aka the premise of the entirety of Star Wars. It’s just a lazy-rear end presentation of the concept that God the Force will be with you always, because the movie was made by people who had no confidence in it, no desire to make it, and in one case no actual ongoing biological existence.

I just think it's an incredibly stupid contrivance that added absolutely nothing to the plot. In fact it actively detracted from it by introducing that stupid bullshit fake-out with C3PO. There was no reason for it whatsoever, they could very easily have gone "well our records show the Emperor kept his Wayfinder in his throne's cupholder because it was his favorite Sith Artifact" and had the same motivation to go check out the Death Star wreckage. And while I agree with the whole premise of the Force thing, I also agree that it's vaguely a stand-in for god - which means the whole "works in mysterious ways" thing holds a lot more weight than what was essentially a plot point from a Dan Brown novel or National Treasure film

The_Doctor posted:

So anyway, Star Trek.

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiine

As one of the "reading the plot beats here, too bored to watch anymore" Disco people: is that Engadget article right about it? Book and some other guy want to blow up the mining rig, but everyone else is worried that will ignite a war? Nobody has chimed in that maybe a species advanced enough to harvest material on that kind of scale might be a bit understanding when they come to find why the rig stopped working and find a galaxy full of people going "uh well you're kind of killing us all"?

Like, I know modern humans would mostly not give a poo poo if the mice in the field they're building a house in complain, but I dunno. Seems pretty dumb.

VVVVV i just like you folks I don't want to go to a new thread :(

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 17, 2022

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Its going to be star wars derails every season cause the show sucks SNW better be good you fuckers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tiberius Christ posted:

Its going to be star wars derails every season cause the show sucks SNW better be good you fuckers

SNW is going to be a lot like The Force Awakens in that it’s gonna be a tired, corporate rear end, overengineered attempt to recapture the wild, chaotic imaginative life of a bygone artwork that genuinely tried to do something new and different. People might like it for a while, but in the end it is coming from a place of repetition. If we only bring this thing and that thing and Spock back, Star Trek will become an epoch-making hit again. Not even the idea of “returning to the the original series” is new, Enterprise did it a generation ago and…it was mostly tedious and crap.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiberius Christ posted:

oh no discovery is going to get seven seasons isnt it

I hope it goes eight just to make everyone really salty about it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Thoughts on the most recent Disco

Absolutely insane that they didn't just take Michael off the mission and put Nahn in temporary command of the ship. She'd have blown up Book's ship and prevented them from setting off the weapon. The whole "he must be stopped by any means necessary! But you're authorized as his girlfriend to really take it to the absolute brink." and then they set the weapon off anyways and Michael and Nahn are like "yeah ok, dang, we missed" but otherwise don't seem that upset that the "must be stopped at all costs" directive by the president was in fact not stopped.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

As one of the "reading the plot beats here, too bored to watch anymore" Disco people: is that Engadget article right about it? Book and some other guy want to blow up the mining rig, but everyone else is worried that will ignite a war? Nobody has chimed in that maybe a species advanced enough to harvest material on that kind of scale might be a bit understanding when they come to find why the rig stopped working and find a galaxy full of people going "uh well you're kind of killing us all"?

Like, I know modern humans would mostly not give a poo poo if the mice in the field they're building a house in complain, but I dunno. Seems pretty dumb.

This is correct. Nobody has suggested this, but I don't think that's that big of a plot hole to be honest. They've discovered that the miners have technology capable of basically destroying the federation. You'd want to be cautious in how you make first contact with that group, because yeah they might be understanding but also they might not. So the Federation policy of trying diplomacy first is not a bad one IMO.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 18, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I remember doing that in World of Warcraft in highschool, stuck some staff in this model city, lights up some junk, then you go find the treasure and secret boss or whatever. Love that this is loot dagger from world of warcraft, except for the little detail of the little compass ruler thingy poking out there.

The Bloop posted:

It's because it's the only one that directly diminishes an OT movie. Prequel movies changed stuff and made it worse but they didn't touch the originals. Well, Lucas hosed with them, but the prequel events had enough of a gap for you to use your imagination to fill it in with something better. Rogue One throws out all of the cool ideas you had of what went down before the opening scene of New Hope, replaced it with something that kind of just didn't need to BE at all, violated the right for the dead to cease working for their masters using digital necromancy, and then turned one of the most iconic villains and intros into a cornball raver light show while people clown on vader by playing hot-potato with a USB stick with the death star plans on it, leading right into New Hope. I also just don't buy if they literally caught Leia red handed fleeing the scene of a crime after a terrorist attack that Vader would hesitate to just blast the hell out of that ship, gently caress even boarding.

The_Doctor posted:

So anyway, Star Trek.

Cracked me up when the reason for why Nahn was back as the commander-babysitter was because of good ol fashioned alien stereotyping. Barzans are just good at duty!

Unfortunately Burnham is always stronger than duty or anything, so she was there to ruin the day while bullying her way all the way through as always. They spent so long on her conceding to using the attack I almost thought maybe Michael wouldn't get her way. Instead Nahn learned that she should be more like Michael.

And again that article about travel times seems silly when they are finding time for side characters right here at the end after the climax/failure of the episode! They can plop that stuff in wherever. At least we got to see Tarka eat some poo poo. I really hope no matter whatever else happens, he either dies or otherwise doesn't get to go home to his shittyverse.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Timby posted:

Mission: Impossible III is essentially the reason Paramount wanted Abrams to do Trek '09. Paramount was incredibly sore after the very expensive disaster that was the production of Mission: Impossible 2 (short version is that John Woo and Tom Cruise are both insane, and the movie went wildly over-schedule and over-budget; Stuart "Star Trek: Nemesis" Baird had to be brought in to salvage the movie in editing after Woo turned in a cut that was something like 3.5 hours long and reportedly "incomprehensible") and the executives impressed with how Abrams made M:I 3 quickly, on-time and actually rather significantly under-budget.

Successfully revitalizes a tarnished brand
Casts people broadly well liked in their roles
Made one of the actual weakest movies in the series despite it's revitalizing influence

Abrams is nothing if not consistent, the Mission Impossible people just cut him off from further influence after he did his job injecting life back into their property

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I know it won't go this way but it would be hilarious if Ten-C absolutely just did not care and were like "yeah we got a ton more where that came from just send another one out"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is correct. Nobody has suggested this, but I don't think that's that big of a plot hole to be honest. They've discovered that the miners have technology capable of basically destroying the federation. You'd want to be cautious in how you make first contact with that group, because yeah they might be understanding but also they might not. So the Federation policy of trying diplomacy first is not a bad one IMO.

You also know literally nothing about 10-C, sending a diplomatic mission first will gather intelligence absolutely essential for a military response. And they might be friendly. Going in with a Vulcan Hello is begging for trouble, and you don't even know how much trouble.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

pik_d posted:

I know it won't go this way but it would be hilarious if Ten-C absolutely just did not care and were like "yeah we got a ton more where that came from just send another one out"

It's crazy to me that isn't the obvious thing. If they know it's mining equipment... why would this super advanced thing not have multiple drills. This smartest man in the galaxy is a real donkey brain.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Khanstant posted:

i don't know why but I'm cracking up at the idea for Death Star II ruins. after Jedi everyone just fuckin leaves, the ewoks down there with just this colossal space trash heap occasionally raining hell upon them.

now im remembering they already did a death star planet ahaha. i think they they deserve some credit for not making the next logical step of a Death Star Star

like a giant Death Star with orbiting regular-size Death Stars and the giant one itself is just made of Death Stars all the way down, like the arcade game Asteroids but more like stepping on a pregnant black widow filled with enough baby spiders to paint your shoe and ankle with baby spiders that can shoot planet-destroying lasers. Also, its center is a singularity exactly like the one in Interstellar, because some people still think staring into the maw of a black hole in place of a plot hasn't been done enough (no insult intended toward Interstellar itself, only the trend)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For certain the Star Death Star will have four Planet Death Stars act as the points of the death laser

pik_d posted:

I was surprised they even let his little weapon work, I figured it was going to just immediately reform before their eyes if it reacted beyond a shiver. Judging from their reaction of saying that was their "first contact," rather than leaving it open to their saw one of their minor space drills somewhere blinked out and they kicked on the backup casually, I take it they intend to have these aliens deliberately not care about the damage. I still think it will be most interesting if the entity still just doesn't even notice because even the extra-galactic portal mass effect aliens don't register as cosmic intelligence/life.

Still an assumption on my part to think super-aliens, given Tarka has been around for so much maybe the whole DMA thing dies into whatever he's not telling people about his universe stranding.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 18, 2022

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
DMA is just more tech stolen and poorly used by the Pakleds.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Please shut the gently caress up about Star Wars, there are several Star Wars threads you can talk about far inferior Sci fi series in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I remember doing that in World of Warcraft in highschool, stuck some staff in this model city, lights up some junk, then you go find the treasure and secret boss or whatever. Love that this is loot dagger from world of warcraft, except for the little detail of the little compass ruler thingy poking out there.

Have you ever seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
Not even at its most hippy dippiest would Starfleet allow Michael to keep her command after that performance

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Peachfart posted:

Please shut the gently caress up about Star Wars, there are several Star Wars threads you can talk about far inferior Sci fi series in.

But we already use those to mock ST: Discovery? :confused:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm glad they remembered they have cloaking technology. Still disappointed they have it at all though. Should've just handwaved it away by saying now that more planets are rejoining the Federation, we are removing cloak from our ships because treaties or some poo poo.

Book has some solid motivation, but Tarka's of wanting to go to the paradise parallel universe is paper thin. At least it let's him be the selfish villain in the duo. They should've blown Booker up after he shot at them. Or even before that. I appreciate that they tried a lot of diplomacy and it worked(except for Tarka) but lol cmon.

Haha Saru has a crush. Go meditate on that rear end Saru.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/MRe4c7X.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Eovh3OP.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QPfMPm3.mp4

I love Booker's silly modular spore jumping ship

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I thought we were done talking about star wars

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I thought we were done talking about star wars

Eh, this is more late Season 2/early Season 3 Battlestar Galactica more than Star Wars.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, this is more late Season 2/early Season 3 Battlestar Galactica more than Star Wars.

That's clearly the Ionian Nebula-levels of stupid from Season 4 :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So the rule is just 'something has to spin' I guess.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Am I watching Discovery Ball Z?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There needs to be ability cooldown bars floating beside the ships

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It'll get at least seven series and every single one will be utterly different from the other
Beyond the characters, it doesn't even feel related to series 1 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Taear posted:

It'll get at least seven series and every single one will be utterly different from the other
Beyond the characters, it doesn't even feel related to series 1 now

Looking forward to the 'Whose the best Captain' debates a decade from now.