Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
What do you bet that the most land mechanic is that you're walking on clouds that constantly move

Edit: mist

JosephSkunk fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
if that was attached to how they do terrain everywhere else, it'd mean doing a constant number crunch like the landmass was a huge jello mold... i think.

if so that'd be a hell of a computational thing

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'm hoping the new mechanic is something to do with verticality, cuz the screenshots we've seen have made the mistlands look really uneven and full of peaks and pits. Climbing rope? Glider made of moth wings? Sirtling-powered jetpack?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Rope climbing would be rad and fit well with Mistlands

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
Deathsquito bug repellent, craftable using ooze as an ingredient.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hookshot shookshot hookshot!!!!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Based on the current mechanics and engine, im going to guess something like limited levitation

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
An acceptable milestone on our journey to “Morrowind 2”

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'm hoping the new mechanic is something to do with verticality, cuz the screenshots we've seen have made the mistlands look really uneven and full of peaks and pits. Climbing rope? Glider made of moth wings? Sirtling-powered jetpack?

thematically, climbing rope would make far more sense for the mountain biome, which desperately needs some kind of improvement in vertical movement because sprinting up steep slopes only to have your stamina run out just before you reach the top is the only time ive wanted to blow my brains out in this game

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

causticBeet posted:

An acceptable milestone on our journey to “Morrowind 2”

Morrowind 2: Morrowinder

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is Valheim Plus the best option for increasing inventory slots that wont break with every minor patch? Can I still join vanilla servers while using valheim plus?

Does anyone know if this mod still works? After having the 7x sailing map reveal radius I can't go back to default it's unbearable.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

thematically, climbing rope would make far more sense for the mountain biome, which desperately needs some kind of improvement in vertical movement because sprinting up steep slopes only to have your stamina run out just before you reach the top is the only time ive wanted to blow my brains out in this game

That was what the pickaxe was for. You could always tell when I went up a mountain because it'd have tiny alcoves in each cliff face.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

sometimes you're on an important mission but you see a hillside that feels homey and you just have to oblige

:3:

That's lovely and it's also exactly what I was talking about earlier at the top of last page.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nordick posted:

:3:

That's lovely and it's also exactly what I was talking about earlier at the top of last page.

I can get behind that though it requires that you have the building bug too. You could dot an entire map with great looking towns in great looking vistas.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
We're about to start a second group playthrough and I am hype.

Especially as I'm playing on a proper PC with a good graphics card this time rather than a potato.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Imagine for a moment that they bought the code from Worlds Adrift, and one could craft spidermanesque grappling hooks. God knows that Bossa isn't using it.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 13, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Got a barle farm going before I got siver ore #1. Lucked into a chest and set up a quick wall around a plot in the plains. Hopefully I do the same with some linen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

One of our players managed to tame wolves before we'd smelted our first bronze lol

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That's a game changer. I still haven't tamed any wolves yet. Keeping my boars alive is hard enough on its own.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ErKeL posted:

That's a game changer. I still haven't tamed any wolves yet. Keeping my boars alive is hard enough on its own.

Wolves will generally keep themselves very well populated. It actually gets kind of annoying.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ErKeL posted:

It is, to the point that it's contributed to some friction in the group unfortunately. Fingers crossed we'll resolve it.

Boars take care of themselves as long as you double fence them. Getting them enclosed in the first place is the trick!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

ErKeL posted:

I have tamed boars or wolves and then lost them too many times :smith:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3131694291117614096
* Pause function in singleplayer

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm tempted to turn this on because I'm about to start exploring the mountains and it seems like a good idea to not prevent all the caves from spawning.

Those of you who have been using the test versions up till now, is stability generally a pressing issue or is it usually not a huge problem?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Valheim - You stirred the cauldron

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think tonight I'm going to rebuild my house for the... Third time?

I think it's the third.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eifert Posting posted:

I think tonight I'm going to rebuild my house for the... Third time?

I think it's the third.

Are you really tied to the location for some reason? I would just find a new place whenever I felt like I outgrew my base.

Also do you have pictures of each rebuild for comparison?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I built my second place right next to the first since moving materials is a pain. I'm thinking I'm going to level and rebuild on the same spot too. Might re-check some areas but I don't think there's anywhere on my island that really stands out as superior. I have a bunch of deer and boar spawns and it's safe. Forest is fuckin troll infested and they spawn right at the border with meadows.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
That's why you build in the plains, the Fulings take care of any wondering trolls.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've built in each biome and my favorite is building in a meadows/forest adjacent to plains. I can extend a wall/moat/earth mound into the plains for barley/flax planting but still have easy access to handy lower level stuff like thistle, red berries, etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm still barely venturing into the forest. Anyway nothing stopping me from building more later.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Though I would only try that once you can handle the occasional skeeter. Building on that border and feeling safe behind some walls and moats has worked poorly for me in the past. Stupid tall walls of earth around you can prevent mosquitos from even being interested in the first place and plains crops can pass through portals so I tend to just make a big, ugly box of dirt with fields of crops and a portal inside then bring it all back home where the processing stations are.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

bird food bathtub posted:

Though I would only try that once you can handle the occasional skeeter. Building on that border and feeling safe behind some walls and moats has worked poorly for me in the past. Stupid tall walls of earth around you can prevent mosquitos from even being interested in the first place and plains crops can pass through portals so I tend to just make a big, ugly box of dirt with fields of crops and a portal inside then bring it all back home where the processing stations are.

Manmade island in a plains biome with a portal on it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

While I'm Posting instead of Chopping, how many clicks of raising the ground do you need to make a safe wall/building platform? I think I'm making mine excessively high.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Lox can climb a bit more than you'd expect, luring one to your wall would be a good test. Fulings get stopped by lower walls in my experience.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Grand Fromage posted:

While I'm Posting instead of Chopping, how many clicks of raising the ground do you need to make a safe wall/building platform? I think I'm making mine excessively high.

digging is far safer and easier in most situations. a trench and fence is enough for drat near anything until late game

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I decided to try taming wovles since I've never done it before. Lassoed a pair from the mountains, led them a short distance to a pen I had built for them. It took like 45 minutes to tame them because they kept detecting me and almost breaking through the stakewalls I had set up, but it worked. So I went off to get some more meat and breed them.

I came back to find a troll had spawned in the exact same spot, right next to the pen, for the second night in a row. I run over to kill it and it immediately starts attacking my wolves (or more accurately, clipping though the walls to damage them). It loving ignored me as I stabbed it in the back so it could kill the wolves that hadn't even been tame for 5 minutes

So I spam workbenches around the perimeter to deter enemy spawns. This actually made things worse, as now I would find roaming packs of greydwarves right in the middle of the base when I never did before. What's more, I come to realize that my wolves won't settle down no matter how long I wait. Eventually I figured out that they were going nuts trying to destroy the workbenches. That they had no line of sight to. That were there to keep them from getting loving smashed by trolls.

I'm not sure it's even worth trying again honestly. Say what you want about the slow update cycle or whatever, but it's becoming really clear that the devs got incredibly lucky with the release and are either completely clueless about or hysterically afraid of making the game more fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve found that building anywhere but the meadows and on top of a plains spire can be tough. There’s just too much coming at you all the time. I’ve built small outposts in the Black Forest and mountains for chopping and mining before but never a true home. I think the mountains are actually easier than the forest because the spawn rate is lower but all the cliffs, sharp edges, and giant rocks add their own annoyances.

Plus the meadows just nails a picturesque and homey feeling. Even when it’s raining and stormy it feels right to just go inside, cook on your fire for a while, and go back outside later. Once you’re established in the plains it can replicate some of that but then a horde happens and now you’re running from 2 berserkers and 6 fulings :gonk: (hence building on a spire).

Jabarto posted:

I'm not sure it's even worth trying again honestly. Say what you want about the slow update cycle or whatever, but it's becoming really clear that the devs got incredibly lucky with the release and are either completely clueless about or hysterically afraid of making the game more fun.

Taming animals is just weird and bad right now. I’ve only ever done it for lox because they mostly just stand around unless you get really really close and by that point you can build stone walls to keep them in and everything else out.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 18, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Greydwarves detect workbenches from like 15 miles, it's ridiculous. When you pick your spot in the Meadows make sure it's a long loving way from any Black Forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Use workbenches to establish good spacing for spawn suppression, then replace them with torches that are part way up a tree or on a stone column. They count as 'player base structures' even when unlit.

Set up like this they're very robust and can create a huge pocket of no enemy spawns in most biomes.

It's easier if you're on a peninsula or otherwise surrounded by water.