Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Can anyone with an average computer who ran WH2 fine on say medium settings give some feedback on how WH3 performs? If it's a lot worse I might hold fire till some optimization patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

GolfHole posted:

Why do the cutscenes look straight out of 2002's Warcraft III.

Is this a weird graphics setting... or a design choice.

design choice. They went for more cartoony over realism.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

Can anyone with an average computer who ran WH2 fine on say medium settings give some feedback on how WH3 performs? If it's a lot worse I might hold fire till some optimization patches.

I can give you more details if you want, but I have a computer with a 1070 TI and a decent processor, it ran WH2 fine on medium settings with large unit size while I had my browser open. It runs WH3 better on ultra unit size and looks better at medium settings IMO.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Vagabong posted:

You're talking about melee automatically being put before missile units when you draw them up? I'm sure its in, i just had to turn off because it was messing with my gunpowder checker boarding as Cathay.
Nah, I'm talking about the slightly more sophisticated thing of your units defaulting to the most strategically sensible position when you click and drag, i.e. missiles at the rear, spears deployed to guard your flanks and so one

Communist Thoughts posted:

I thought there was supposed to be 3Ks autoformations when you click and drag but it doesn't seem to be a thing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

My 1060 is handling it OK, some of the maps seem very unoptimized but it looks nice enough and runs well enough for the most part. Little bit worse I think, but far from unplayable.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My initial impression is that I probably like the launch version of this less than I liked the launch version of 2, though that could just be that I keep trying to play as Kislev when I don't think I like hybrid units really at all. Despite the tutorial, I think this game's going to be a lot less accessible to new players than either of the previous games, especially if they don't change the recommended beginner campaigns away from Katarin and Daemon Prince. Speaking of Katarin, I'm getting my rear end kicked in the supporter race, so even aside from not liking the roster I'm obviously doing something wrong here. I think I'll try Zhao Ming next since that's at least kind of a generalist faction with a relatively easy start position and see how that goes.

Frog Act posted:

I'm enjoying this and all but I've played fewer and fewer hours in every TW game as they've come out over the years and I think it's all the missions and narrative framing in the main campaign. I wish they'd do more of a medieval 2 thing for some factions where they didn't have to manage a bunch of superfluous mechanics. like when I recently reinstalled WH2 after a year or so and discovered dwarfs had this whole thing with grudges on top of the forge stuff, the empire had all this politicking, etc it kind of turned me off because my fondest memories of Total War are M2, M2: Stainless Steel, and Shogun 2 with a realm divide reducer/eliminator mod where the story and motivation came from emergent things rather than structured mechanics. I hope I can find my way around my feelings on those because I enjoy the fantasy battles a lot

There might be something to do this. I liked how the DLC factions got more complicated over time in 2, and when they talked about the baseline being at that level of mechanics for 3 I thought that was really exciting, but in practice I might actually be looking for something a little more vanilla to start with.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It might only annoy me but its a shame that all the demon characters sound the same with a booming evil voice even the cheerful fat man and sexy androgynous one

Too many TW warhams chars are just interchangeable deep man voice

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

PerilPastry posted:

Nah, I'm talking about the slightly more sophisticated thing of your units defaulting to the most strategically sensible position when you click and drag, i.e. missiles at the rear, spears deployed to guard your flanks and so one

I might misunderstand but it seems to do that though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I like the different faction campaign mechanics and some of the general additions to the campaign a lot more than I do the unit rosters tbh, but then I also really liked the SFO campaign layer and found the base TW2 one dull as ditchwater.

Haven't started the chaos realms stuff yet so we will see how annoying that is.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sinteres posted:

My initial impression is that I probably like the launch version of this less than I liked the launch version of 2, though that could just be that I keep trying to play as Kislev when I don't think I like hybrid units really at all. Despite the tutorial, I think this game's going to be a lot less accessible to new players than either of the previous games, especially if they don't change the recommended beginner campaigns away from Katarin and Daemon Prince. Speaking of Katarin, I'm getting my rear end kicked in the supporter race, so even aside from not liking the roster I'm obviously doing something wrong here. I think I'll try Zhao Ming next since that's at least kind of a generalist faction with a relatively easy start position and see how that goes.

There might be something to do this. I liked how the DLC factions got more complicated over time in 2, and when they talked about the baseline being at that level of mechanics for 3 I thought that was really exciting, but in practice I might actually be looking for something a little more vanilla to start with.

Yeah it just, for me, detracts from the fundamental purpose of total war games, which is map painting and engaging in long-term diplomatic and gepolitical rivalries while improving my military capacity according to my own goals. In a Stainless Steel game as Venice, for example, you have like ten directions you can potentially go, naval invasions, focusing on trade, working to appropriate the college of cardinals, sailing around to hire mercenaries and high-profit trade hubs, etc in ways which are facilitated by game mechanics but aren't explicitly dictated to the player. I've always had a bit more fun with that than "a wizard is telling you to kill the guy next door so you can do a series of story-based missions" which feels very much like a Total War Warhammer thing and not so much a Total War thing though I'll grant the recent games focused on that more and more which is probably why I didn't like them that much

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Anyone else struggling with Kairos campaign? I'm trying it on VH/N and Miao Ying keeps rocking up to me with a full stack I can't beat before I can even fill my army with 20 units. I also find settlement battles as Tzeench pretty tough because of their combination of frail melee and short range missile units. Tips welcome!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Noir89 posted:

I might misunderstand but it seems to do that though?

That's weird. For me clicking and dragging just dumps every unit into a line with no discernible reason to it, unlike 3K. And even activating formations manually just splits everyone into a melee/missile binary which is still mostly a jumbled mess.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing some of the story wave based levels really shows how much I rely on tar pits to be able to parse what is happening in a fight. Having enemies spawning in everywhere around you makes me lose the thread of the fight really easily.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Weird, I haven't done any changes for formations etc except turning off "skirmish mode on by default" regarding ranged since I started as Slaanesh so no ranged units at all. Tried with Cathay so it's not something to do with kislevs hybrid units loving it up?

edit: My screen is from a custom battle I took right now just to test it since I was curious, if that helps.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I think I'm gonna have to pass on ogres and try a different faction until they fix this camp thing, they absolutely need to be something you can deconstruct and rebuild because they're the source of all of your best units, money, and meat, so having to redo that every time you expand your borders (especially since they're so important, being in your own borders without being in a camp radius fucks you over and causes attrition unless you have a huge store of meat). Gonna try Cathay now I reckon

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

1stGear posted:

Are flying units not able to capture points? Had a battle where I sent my Demon Prince to grab a supply point, but even when he landed, it wasn't changing.
Ca has said that they cannot. Might be in a tool-tip or something in the game but I'm not sure.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

PerilPastry posted:

That's weird. For me clicking and dragging just dumps every unit into a line with no discernible reason to it, unlike 3K. And even activating formations manually just splits everyone into a melee/missile binary which is still mostly a jumbled mess.

messing around with it now, it actually does seem to sort units somewhat but seems to only seperate melee from ranged with not a lot of rhyme or reason beyond that, so like i had a line of pink horrors randomly mixed with flamers and the soulgrinder.
so i think rather than having the clever 3k setup its just that the game automatically uses that melee front formation from all the warhams

on another note: does anyone have any idea how winds work now? as tzeentch i never have any magic winds

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ca has said that they cannot. Might be in a tool-tip or something in the game but I'm not sure.

It's unfortunate but it's probably vital for balance. If you could just fly in and cap points you'd never have a single resource again

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Playing the tutorial campaign right now, and my impression of Kislev is a faction that sounds cool on paper but in actual combat it's tricky to play on tutor strengths. When I think 'hybrid' unit I think versatile, but the units don't feel as versatile in practice so far. Some of them get absolutely shredded in melee despite appearing like they should at least hold their own.

I get the impression you're meant to use the support buildings and heroes to augment the performance of your forces.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's unfortunate but it's probably vital for balance. If you could just fly in and cap points you'd never have a single resource again

On the other hand, it's a reduction in viable tactics. Require the units to land (which would pretty much limit it to Lords and Heroes) and disable it in multiplayer.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Are you guys playing the tutorial on very hard difficulties or something? I felt really powerful with kislev. I basically avoided all the cavalry though and just massed infantry

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
How do you manage Kislev's devotion minigame? Your opponent ticks up overtime but you can only get points while the invocation is running, which needs devotion, and you're losing both in the early game because you're fighting kislevites

is the answer that it's bad because I feel like that's the answer

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Somebody asking if anybody started as Cathay, yo. I've had a really smoothh VH/N campaign up to Turn 33 so far by allying with Cathay, actually seeking confeds, tidying up what comes for my balance and armies, then keeping extra armies on the wall after the endless Chaos/Norscan armies break a wall and I get to resettle it for free. Now that I've got all 3 I've pulled Meow down south to decapitate the dissenters(stalled them with a half stack and some heroic pyrrhic victory microfests) and start painting my borders, maybe nail the rest of the confeds. I put really early gold into getting starting treaties with Zhao, I predict 2 LLs shortly. I might even skip the portal stuff, though I've been taking -attrition on Meow(-30% skills, -10% ancillary) in preparation. Just depends on how you get into them, I've been very low preview and streamer hype so I can discover how things work and maintain my sense of blind wonder longer. The issue is that I'm such a veteran VH/Legendary campaign diff guy that I know I can win if I maintain map momentum and keep building up so if the portals don't appear in my land or adjacent to Meow or with the Quest Battle teleport prompt.. lol at marching multiple turns into the northern buttlands.

I really like the minor settlement fights. They really pull you out of your comfort zone but are totally manageable with TWWH fundamentals. You can also exploit the AI pretty easily if you want a boost, and I might change my tune when I get to campaigns without Cathay's strengths. But I was also a psychopath that liked major settlement sieges in TWWH2, I dunno, it's all just part of the game to me and my favorite battles are heavily micro intensive or in the case of WH2 I'd speed run taking them walls to keep it interesting after I stopped treating each siege like a puzzle to solve where I took as little damage as possible. My Cathay stacks tend to be an Empire approach with almost 50/50 melee/ranged where the melee screen for ranged, I've been able to approach and seize points steadily and set up good firing lines in every minor so far. My ranged is a bit heavy ATM because I wanted to try Iron Hails out, I'll probably go 60/40 melee/ranged when I get the time to pause Meow's stack and turn all of it to T3+.

Some random Cathay thoughts:

1) Caravans are way too easy if you get even light RNG, I've had "you find lost dudes, recruit them at no cost?" events pop twice for two caravans fairly quickly and the ogres that try to rob them can never bring the numbers to be threatening because I'm +5-6 units over the base caravan size. I love the idea of the caravan of course, I think it's very fun to try to win half stack vs half stack battles since the game goes to hard 20 v 20(or more) eventually. Just needs a balancing pass or a separate pool of events as your caravan gets stronger. Feels too "can't lose" once your caravan lord has some quality skill points and is decked out in gear, especially since he feeds you amazing purples.

2) Cathay tech tree is pretty cool but easy to game and it's more beneficial to maintain Balance than to get any one benefit that +1 yin or yang would give. This also makes the building game for Cathay more interesting, if silly. Have totally spent time with empty building slots waiting for a pair to be open, a research to complete or to recruit a lord and immediately rebalance. Maybe they could make Balanced a little worse or even a little better but then bleed more benefits into being nearly balanced to smooth out the curve because right now there's +yin(bad), +yang(bad) or Balanced(Insanely Great) and I'd rather see ++Yin(Bad), ++Yang(bad), +yin(benefit, drawback), +yang(benefit, drawback) and balanced(good, bit better by comparison.) The yin/yang in battles is pretty cool and good to use, dunno about MP tho.

3) The wall is another cool idea I like for the same "chance to fight battles that aren't hard 20v20" and "playing siege but I defend for once." There are some silly problems: taking per turn attrition as the people holed up in a massive supremely well stocked defensible position because literally tariff's cavemen are banging their clubs on the worthless chaos ground outside, letting armies sneak past my solid wall because of the above, enemy heroes doing the same(there's a pair of tzeentch blob birds loitering in my Cathay and all my current heroes are army duty.) The real problem though is that like the caravans the threats don't scale. You can slap down -40% upkeep real easily and toss a 10 stack on each gate and just hoover up free money, items and reserve leveled lords as Kurgan 7 stacks unga bunga into their deaths endlessly. There's some 20 stacks out there from named WoC/Norsca factions occupying the lovely red clime towns but they never approach. Kairos did come by once but I mentioned how stupidly bugged Tzeentch AI is at the moment, Meow broke both his necks.

4) Maybe I like minors because Meow and presumably Zhao are pretty overstatted. Somebody mentioned in the last page that their Meow would get chunked randomly during sieges? I find that as long as you don't dragon recklessly she's very safe to solo large chunks of the enemy army, or to force them to split forces during minors. She can't cap, but I just walked up and decapitated their leader. I got a magic item to summon ancestral warriors twice a battle with a range limit so she can dissect and stall tons of units. I primarily stick with human form, you might get chunked randomly if you go dragon and become Large while also making it possible for a lot more units(and ranged) to attack you simultaneously. The old "don't reflexively put every Lord on a mount" problem of WH2.

All stuff I hope to see smoothed over in balance patches.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 18, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Panfilo posted:

Playing the tutorial campaign right now, and my impression of Kislev is a faction that sounds cool on paper but in actual combat it's tricky to play on tutor strengths. When I think 'hybrid' unit I think versatile, but the units don't feel as versatile in practice so far. Some of them get absolutely shredded in melee despite appearing like they should at least hold their own.

I get the impression you're meant to use the support buildings and heroes to augment the performance of your forces.

From my time with Kislev I think the 'hybrid' designation is pretty misleading. Yes, most of their units have both a melee and a ranged attack, but for every unit they are much better at one than the other - Kossars will get rocked if you try to commit them to melee against melee troops, Armored Kossars don't have enough ammo to actually play a ranged game but are a good strong frontline, Streltsi melee is mostly a funny gimmick and they're pretty much just Armored Handgunners. Ice Guard are the only true hybrid infantry in the roster, imo, but they're T4+ so they should be flexible.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

Miao Ying seems fairly strong in her dragon form, but then in sieges she'll go from tanking everything to getting chunked to below half hp randomly.

From fighting tzeentch I think this is that the ai has figured out focus fire, so a lord without missile resist can get absolutely bodied very quickly if its in range of multiple shooters.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

How do you manage Kislev's devotion minigame? Your opponent ticks up overtime but you can only get points while the invocation is running, which needs devotion, and you're losing both in the early game because you're fighting kislevites

You just build a church in every settlement. I lost the first race to 50, but after that I blew past the other faction.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Theswarms posted:

From fighting tzeentch I think this is that the ai has figured out focus fire, so a lord without missile resist can get absolutely bodied very quickly if its in range of multiple shooters.

Been playing as Kairos and been on the other end of this. Definitely seems to be a thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think the idea is that the priest guy ends up being pretty strong in that regard. I'm hoping my gets better once I secure my provinces and I can start fighting chaos. I did lose the race to the first two points though

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gamerofthegame posted:

The Church building chain generates supporters. So in addition to those gained from the Invocations you can also start gaining a steady income of supporters. That being said Rasputin absolutely kicked my rear end early in my Katarin campaign, I only got ahead because he never expanded beyond his starting province while I head tier 3 churches in every minor settlement.

Edit: Thematically it kinda makes sense that it's harder for Katarin because she's not supposed to be very popular, still kind of a pain because those diplomacy bonuses are great in the early game.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Gamerofthegame posted:

Run the invocation that gives supporters for winning battles before attacking a series of settlements / at the start of a chaos incursion, build lots of the buildings that give passive devotion / supporters (they cost devotion but pay off over time), keep your income high and pay $5k to dump your opponent's supporters every 15 turns

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Gamerofthegame posted:

You lose supporters each turn until you wrap up the eastern oblast, I believe, so you want to take that asap. Legend shows the idea in the first part of his kislev campaign. No cheese strats or anything, just seems easy to get underwater in the supporter race with kostaltyn if you don’t grab it fast. Once you get past the first milestone (50 supporters), you can more easily take a big lead and he’s not an issue.

My kislev question - does the income from farms bonus for the hallowed wood stack? Like should each of the 4 settlements in the eastern oblast have a farm and a forest to maximize income?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Tirranek posted:

Been playing as Kairos and been on the other end of this. Definitely seems to be a thing.

Its insane how much higher priority the 10% missile resist skill is now

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Haven’t been able to play much but going heavy on gorgers with Skrag is pretty fun. Those guys are mean.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

My kislev question - does the income from farms bonus for the hallowed wood stack? Like should each of the 4 settlements in the eastern oblast have a farm and a forest to maximize income?
No. The bonus from hallowed woods applies only to the local region, not province. They are like bretonnian farms in that regard. So if you're going to have a hallowed wood, you want a farm in that same region. I haven't decided if I need garrison buildings in all of my lands yet. Probably, but I'm not sure. But if you do, that gives you two free slots per settlement, which means one gets farms+hallowed wood, another gets both recruitment buildings, and the last two get churches and markets. I think that's how I'm going to build it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Scott Forstall posted:

It's local region not local province so each hallowed wood only affects the farm in its own settlement. Like the Bretonnian windmills.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Kanos posted:

From my time with Kislev I think the 'hybrid' designation is pretty misleading. Yes, most of their units have both a melee and a ranged attack, but for every unit they are much better at one than the other - Kossars will get rocked if you try to commit them to melee against melee troops, Armored Kossars don't have enough ammo to actually play a ranged game but are a good strong frontline, Streltsi melee is mostly a funny gimmick and they're pretty much just Armored Handgunners. Ice Guard are the only true hybrid infantry in the roster, imo, but they're T4+ so they should be flexible.
Another thing people need to be aware of (unless they changed this) is that ranged attacks drain stamina faster than melee. For a hybrid unit doing a lot of both they are going to get pooped out rather quickly. It's most evident on missile chariot units which are going to be going all mad max on enemy formations. I know Kislev has a few buffs that help with stamina so there's that.

Another thing I took for granted over hybrid units like sea guard is shields. I get the impression you ought to shoot melee units but charge ranged units if possible to minimize damage received.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
On another note, props to the developers to adding transparency to otherwise opaque mechanics, such as diplomacy and magic. A lot of spells that would ordinarily give a vague description of damage now give the actual values. While I'm still figuring it out, diplomacy also feels more straightforward and flexible which gives the player more agency with alliances.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Ogre events:

The Butchers discover ketchup. Do you roll with it, or do you tell them to miss you with that nasty vegetable poo poo?
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sv0c81/the_man_who_came_up_with_the_ogre_events_needs_a/

Skrag eats My Little Pony
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/suubft/skrag_encounters_odly_colored_horses_sorry_shitty/

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Dr Christmas posted:

Ogre events:

The Butchers discover ketchup. Do you roll with it, or do you tell them to miss you with that nasty vegetable poo poo?
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sv0c81/the_man_who_came_up_with_the_ogre_events_needs_a/

Skrag eats My Little Pony
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/suubft/skrag_encounters_odly_colored_horses_sorry_shitty/

as ku'gath my plaguebearers learned to chant The Brown Note, making enemy forces poo poo themselves in the local province

i also won a battle and ku'gath shouted 'NURGLE'S LOVE SHIELDS US!' on the victory screen :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Finished the prologue, thought it was fun but under written imo. Really could have fleshed Yuri's development out a bit more.

I'm playing a campaign as Katarin now, enjoying Kislev as I've always loved hybrid units. I enjoy the minor settlement battles so far, but I have to say, the constant stream of tower replacements is a real ball ache. Tone that down a bit and I'd be happy.

Game rocks really, I mean it's TW so it's inevitably gonna have bafflingly terrible design choices and infuriating "bugs" that never get fixed, but on the whole it's more WH and that's a lot of fun. Can't wait for IE