Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

I am and generally loathe to spend real money on this game and play pretty casually, but I still kinda anal about using card packs efficiently. So while I’m saving gold for the mini-set, should I avoid opening packs from brawls and the Book of Mercenaries, lest I get an epic or legendary from the mini set?

I have 830 gold, and so probably won’t get enough to buy the mini expansion before the month rolls over. I don’t think that’ll affect anything.

The mini set is fixed set of cards, not packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Excelzior posted:

Avenge (4) is ridiculous, you get permanent golden minion upgrades for that kind of sacrifice and instead you get a lovely 2/1 whelp and maybe a +2/+2 on a lovely minion if it miraculously survived?

Based on average placement Onyxia is like the 10th best hero in the game. Probably doesn't take 1st or 2nd a lot but places well.

It's only Avenge (4) for the first proc really, because the whelp dies and triggers an Avenge, so it's 3 more after that. The whelps do WORK with other Avenge cards and act as a natural tiebreaker when you trade out your last minion and it triggers, so you win more early rounds than you normally might. Your buddy should be in the 100/100 range by the end of the game.

Much better/worse depending on the tribes in the game.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Mr Beens posted:

The mini set is fixed set of cards, not packs

Unless they've changed something recently, you can also open them in the current expansion's packs.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dr Christmas posted:

I am and generally loathe to spend real money on this game and play pretty casually, but I still kinda anal about using card packs efficiently. So while I’m saving gold for the mini-set, should I avoid opening packs from brawls and the Book of Mercenaries, lest I get an epic or legendary from the mini set?

I have 830 gold, and so probably won’t get enough to buy the mini expansion before the month rolls over. I don’t think that’ll affect anything.

Yea, if you don't want to chance 'wasting' the gold then you'd want to wait until you bought the set.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I know I have posted this list before but it is just brutalizing Diamond Wild while I watch bad TV and get drunk. This is a beast and I love it. A better or more attentive player will have better luck and i'm at a 72% win rate lol:

### ShadowBurst
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Leper Gnome
# 2x (1) Shadowbomber
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (1) Undertaker
# 2x (1) Voidtouched Attendant
# 2x (2) Defias Leper
# 2x (2) Kobold Sandtrooper
# 2x (2) Mind Blast
# 2x (2) Shadow Visions
# 2x (2) Twilight Deceptor
# 2x (3) Shadowed Spirit
# 2x (4) Frenzied Felwing
# 2x (4) Lifedrinker
# 1x (5) Darkbishop Benedictus
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
#
AAEBAaSrBAKvBLv3Aw6hBJIF9g6RD9HBAu/xAvOnA7q2A5vNA9fOA6HoA6P3A633A42BBAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gently caress me but Quest Hunter is a fun deck to play

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lmao okay I admit I was wrong about onyxia, she can be really oppressive if you highroll a bunch of Reborns and tokens to farm a lovely lobby

Spicy Pretzel Mustard, game only lasted 9 turns

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Surprised that those are winning stats, seen a lot of losing boards that have higher. Grats on the spicy pretzel mustard!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah so this is the easiest legend climb I have ever experienced...

Feel like this meta is worse than Roguestone, at least I could tech against and outplay those decks and generally have fun in the mirrors, now it's all pure RNG generation and trying to dodge a couple of cards that just instawin matchups regardless of game state.

Would like to see this year thrown out like Witchwood tbh. Thankfully the vast majority of what makes ramp druid viable is rotating, but stuff like Kazakusan on 6, Trogg or Snowfall Guardian->Parrot->Parrot are too degenerate to exist, especially if they are moving to a board based meta design-wise like they indicated. Year of the Gryphon is not a healthy foundation for that kind of standard, the offending parties should just be banished to wild like Genn and Baku.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Firebert posted:

Yeah so this is the easiest legend climb I have ever experienced...

What's your list?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Sloppy posted:

What's your list?

Kibler's list

https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/dragon-priest-kibler-onyxias-lair/

I'm pretty sure the Raise dead is wrong, you pretty much never need the triple Lightmaw anymore since aggressive druid has fallen off the map in the d5-legend ranks, Call of the Grave is probably better atm

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Firebert posted:

Feel like this meta is worse than Roguestone, at least I could tech against and outplay those decks and generally have fun in the mirrors, now it's all pure RNG generation and trying to dodge a couple of cards that just instawin matchups regardless of game state.

Would like to see this year thrown out like Witchwood tbh. Thankfully the vast majority of what makes ramp druid viable is rotating, but stuff like Kazakusan on 6, Trogg or Snowfall Guardian->Parrot->Parrot are too degenerate to exist, especially if they are moving to a board based meta design-wise like they indicated. Year of the Gryphon is not a healthy foundation for that kind of standard, the offending parties should just be banished to wild like Genn and Baku.

I have to agree. I thought Kazakusan would be a fun memish card that I could play without too much seriousness, but it turned out to be busted and unfun to play as or against. I may try some battlegrounds for awhile until a nerf or new set.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The All Caster vs Anointed Ones special mercenaries task appears to be bugged at the moment. Good job as ever.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Wanna play kazak treasures at T5/6? In Standard? Boi do I have news for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz9VD7NDBsk

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Tin Tim posted:

Wanna play kazak treasures at T5/6? In Standard? Boi do I have news for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz9VD7NDBsk

God drat but Dane does some beautiful things to this game

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
watching him be the trickster god of wild for anyone who wants to break into legend w/ pirate warrior is a thing to behold

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah Kazukusan was beautiful when it was thought to be a meme card, but when it's the primary win condition of 40%+ of the meta it becomes intolerable quick.

I pretty much lost all motivation to play the game after the mini set and I couldn't really put a finger on why, but after watching this old guardian video I think he hits the nail on the head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHCguFD-QQ

basically Kazakusan decks have created an extremely polarized rock / paper / scissors meta where pretty much every game you play (no matter what deck you pick) is either an extremely favored or an extremely unfavored matchup.. there's no toss up matchups in the meta, it's all matchmaking wins or losses.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

enki42 posted:

Unless they've changed something recently, you can also open them in the current expansion's packs.

Yeah, though at least for Onyxia, buying the set doesn't count for dupe protection. If you buy the set and then a few packs the new rares and epics is super hi to show up.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Kazukusan rules

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

kasakusanstone, less so

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I dont think anything really needs to change with the core rotation so close, though

Just one more month of feasting on ramp/spell druids until the game gets a shakeup

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Despite the degenerate meta the miniset got me engaged got me engaged in a big way, mostly playing Wild Mecha'thun/Owl OTK decks but nonetheless.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Been only playing draft lately. Idk, none of my decks seem to be doing well at all. Kazakusan is miserable to play against and it makes me miss roguestone tbh.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

ferroque posted:

Been only playing draft lately. Idk, none of my decks seem to be doing well at all. Kazakusan is miserable to play against and it makes me miss roguestone tbh.

Unless you enjoy Kaza Druid/aggro Hunter or Priest/CWarrior there's no point in Standard right now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Guff hero card was a mistake

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
What hopes do you all have for the new Core set? I'd like to see Enrage Warrior support, maybe a new (or revived old) Mage archetype as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Boatswain posted:

What hopes do you all have for the new Core set? I'd like to see Enrage Warrior support, maybe a new (or revived old) Mage archetype as well.

I hope they keep supporting big mage since it was pretty viable before the miniset.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
having zero idea how the post-rotation meta might look, i'd like to see some of the classic naxx dudes, eg sludge belcher, loatheb, feugen/stalagg, death's bite, or reincarnate, and a couple of brm dragon synergy cards like corruptor or technician

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

-Dirty rat
-Loatheb
-Thaurisan
-1/4 taunt tortollan
-Tess

Some I'd like to stay:
-Wandmaker
-Taelan Fordring
-Armor vendor

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

RatHat posted:

I legitimately didn't know his battlecry gave you a mana crystal until like two days ago. I wonder how much play he'd see if they just cut that or the card draw to make the classic turn 2/3 hero card feel worse.

When Pigs Cry fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 23, 2022

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

RatHat posted:

This is kind of funny in retrospect of Blizzard killing Celestial Alignment for Guff to see play :v:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chernabog posted:

-Dirty rat
-Loatheb
-Thaurisan
-1/4 taunt tortollan
-Tess

Some I'd like to stay:
-Wandmaker
-Taelan Fordring
-Armor vendor

give me Tess and Spectral Cutlass in standard and let me burgle all of the things plz

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Apparently Grandmasters starts this week, and drops are enabled. Max of 4 packs, 2 for the qualifying weeks, 2 for playoffs.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just got my 1000th win with Priest and the game highlighted this achievement by transforming my regular Anduin portrait into ... a portrait frame with a plain gray background.

Super stoked. The appreciation I felt was so overwhelming, I almost cried.
Such a well polished game.
Thank you Team 5 for celebrating this milestone so appropriately.

FAAAAAAAAAAAART.

Yeah yeah, no one gives a gently caress. I know.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

can't make the achievement frames too fancy to overshadow the money portraits when you're spamming the store with new cosmetics every week

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is that 1000 hours of playing priest?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

mcbexx posted:

Just got my 1000th win with Priest and the game highlighted this achievement by transforming my regular Anduin portrait into ... a portrait frame with a plain gray background.

Super stoked. The appreciation I felt was so overwhelming, I almost cried.
Such a well polished game.
Thank you Team 5 for celebrating this milestone so appropriately.

FAAAAAAAAAAAART.

Yeah yeah, no one gives a gently caress. I know.

Same thing happened to me getting Hunter a few weeks back, glad to see it's still not fixed. Much like the tavern brawls, which haven't shown me the instructions for like two months now.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Doing the Chi-ji Mercenaries Event, and banging my head against the task where you have to beat the Heroic Anointed Blades in a Felwood with only casters, who have a disadvantage against the bosses. I’ve managed to beat them once, with a boon giving casters Divine Shield, only to lean about a bug(?) where getting boons invalidates the task.

They’ve updated the mode, but there’s still no use for excess coins for maxed-out mercenaries, right? They could at least deprioritize their tasks from appearing on the board.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

Doing the Chi-ji Mercenaries Event, and banging my head against the task where you have to beat the Heroic Anointed Blades in a Felwood with only casters, who have a disadvantage against the bosses. I’ve managed to beat them once, with a boon giving casters Divine Shield, only to lean about a bug(?) where getting boons invalidates the task.

They’ve updated the mode, but there’s still no use for excess coins for maxed-out mercenaries, right? They could at least deprioritize their tasks from appearing on the board.

I have a bug as well with the heroic Ivus task with 3 beasts. I have beat it two times already and they haven’t counted because I had a beast dead. Like what the hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I don't even have access to Alterac Valley in Mercenaries, or the area before it, and I can't be bothered slogging through everything to open it up just for an event with no rewards outside mercs. The mode is dead to me outside of the odd daily quest.