Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

schreibs posted:

Frozen Kirkland Signature chicken breasts I bought were not individually wrapped anymore. It made me irrationally angry. :sever:

Yeah I just noticed that today. They’re even loving advertising on the bag less plastic.

Cool now I get to put my more freezer burned chicken into another more plastic than the original zip lock bag to put in the sink to thaw it.

You made the chicken worse and now I’m using more plastic. Great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Reusable plastic bags homie. Maybe try using some braincells next time.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Gaius Marius posted:

Reusable plastic bags homie. Maybe try using some braincells next time.

Gross. You can wash your own raw chicken bags.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I love reusable bags.

They give me a sense of superiority over others in my belief that I'm saving the environment as I throw them in the garbage after a single use.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Buy unfrozen chicken and freeze it yourself? I buy the regular BS chicken breasts and marinate them in the same vacuum bags I use to sous vide and freeze them. Easy peasy, also I can inspect the chicken to see if it's just full of saline and gonna piss everywhere whereas prefrozen all looks the same (freezer burnt).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bum the Sad posted:

Cool now I get to put my more freezer burned chicken into another more plastic than the original zip lock bag to put in the sink to thaw it.

i will never understand how a person can look at raw meat and think "it makes sense to put this in the kitchen sink, one of the grossest surfaces in a home". bonus points if you're an extra gross weirdo who does this and then runs hot tap water over the package that the meat's in :barf:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Professional sanitation classes tell you to thaw packaged things by putting them in a bowl or pot and continuously running tap water over them until thawed. In the sink. Those same sanitation classes also warn not to "wash or clean" unpackaged raw chicken because the risk of showing salmonella via splash zone.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gaius Marius posted:

Good we shouldn't be wasting plastic on such frivolities.

This. Every time I find individually plastic wrapped poo poo in a bigger bag it upsets me.

Also God what ever did people do 40 years ago before everything started getting individually wrapped. How did they llllliiiiivvvveee

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 17, 2022

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i will never understand how a person can look at raw meat and think "it makes sense to put this in the kitchen sink, one of the grossest surfaces in a home". bonus points if you're an extra gross weirdo who does this and then runs hot tap water over the package that the meat's in :barf:

yeah

you're supposed to use cold water

the hot water will cook the chicken and it'll turn all grey and weird

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

silicone thrills posted:

Also God what ever did people do 40 years ago before everything started getting individually wrapped. How did they llllliiiiivvvveee

40-60 years ago people were more likely to live in an area with a small neighborhood grocer/butcher and families were more likely to have a dedicated person doing semi-daily shopping for fresh food.

Groceries have been shifting to longer outdate windows and preservation/packaging techniques partly because the way we’ve done our food shopping has changed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BadSamaritan posted:

40-60 years ago people were more likely to live in an area with a small neighborhood grocer/butcher and families were more likely to have a dedicated person doing semi-daily shopping for fresh food.

Groceries have been shifting to longer outdate windows and preservation/packaging techniques partly because the way we’ve done our food shopping has changed.

Seems like it's not workin out very well for people or the environment.

But this is the Costco thread so I'm just gonna lol and say good for Costco for course correcting where they can.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Seems like it's not workin out very well for people or the environment.

But this is the Costco thread so I'm just gonna lol and say good for Costco for course correcting where they can.

Yeah, agreed. Would appreciate a shortened work week so household chores wouldn’t need to be done in bulk and convenience packaging wasn’t as prominent in my life, but I do appreciate being able to have my own career and bank account.

Also I like goin to the Co.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Luckily my hobby is also going to Costco because that saves me time with grocery shopping

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

BadSamaritan posted:

I'm sorry. 40 years ago was 1982, not immediate post war US. I did not know of a single household growing up that did semi-daily trips for groceries to the small neighborhood butcher. We had supermarkets for fucks sake. Both my parents worked (like all the other parents nearby). Grocery shopping was most definitely NOT semi-daily. Maybe what you said was true if you lived in a smaller town but goddamn. Your description makes me think of Leave It to Beaver and that sure as gently caress was not true for 1982.

gently caress now I'm mad because I feel ancient. I'm not even 50 yet. Come on, man!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

topenga posted:

I'm sorry. 40 years ago was 1982, not immediate post war US. I did not know of a single household growing up that did semi-daily trips for groceries to the small neighborhood butcher. We had supermarkets for fucks sake. Both my parents worked (like all the other parents nearby). Grocery shopping was most definitely NOT semi-daily. Maybe what you said was true if you lived in a smaller town but goddamn. Your description makes me think of Leave It to Beaver and that sure as gently caress was not true for 1982.

gently caress now I'm mad because I feel ancient. I'm not even 50 yet. Come on, man!

the person you quoted is talking about general trends

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the person you quoted is talking about general trends

Those general trends started changing about 50-60 years ago but the "Wrapping every single individual item in plastic" trend was far more recent. late 80s, 90s.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Scored some of the Kirkland lobster bisque 2-packs that were getting close to exp date for only 97 cents yesterday. Just had some for lunch, and that has to be the best $ to quality ratio on food ever.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Enos Cabell posted:

Scored some of the Kirkland lobster bisque 2-packs that were getting close to exp date for only 97 cents yesterday. Just had some for lunch, and that has to be the best $ to quality ratio on food ever.

Holy poo poo

Yes

Were they just sitting there marked 97 cents???

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Spinz posted:

Holy poo poo

Yes

Were they just sitting there marked 97 cents???

Yup, they had a whole end cap of the refrigerated section about half full with a big .97 sign, no limit. I thought it was a typo at first. Exp date is about a week away, so I only grabbed two.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I tried a pack of those amylu breakfast links that are on sale and I think I got unlucky. Each link had 1-2 pieces of hard tendon which made it not very enjoyable to eat. I get that its just something thing can happen in sausage but there was just so much of it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The other Amylu sausages I tried weren't that good either (too sweet, gristly). I want to try all the sausages in the grocery case but they're all high-calorie. One sausage was in third-pound links but listed calories per 2oz serving, which just seems shady

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think Costco and Amazon pretty much cover all my weekly/monthly needs, I rarely go to the usual supermarket. I feel like nearly everything at the supermarket is inferior quality wise and just more expensive than Costco.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a big ol' pack of red "seedless" grapes from Costco on the last trip and they are the seediest, most unpleasant grapes I've ever eaten. I can't even give them to my kid for fear of him choking on them, and they're not really seeds you can just ignore and chew through. What a disappointment; usually, Costco grapes are S++.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

I got a big ol' pack of red "seedless" grapes from Costco on the last trip and they are the seediest, most unpleasant grapes I've ever eaten. I can't even give them to my kid for fear of him choking on them, and they're not really seeds you can just ignore and chew through. What a disappointment; usually, Costco grapes are S++.
I bought those grapes once through Costco Instacart. They were horrible.

It sucked because a few weeks prior we bought these globe grapes that were loving amazing and we thought we were getting the same thing-nope.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Has anybody purchased a resort package through Costco? I'm just idly browsing around for 2022, since my partner could seriously use a break from being a surgery resident...

Mostly just wondering if like, including flights through Costco is worth it, recs/stay-the-gently caress-aways, that kinda thing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I purchased an Alaska cruise but didn’t buy their flights as they were more expensive than I could get from other places.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

infraboy posted:

I think Costco and Amazon pretty much cover all my weekly/monthly needs, I rarely go to the usual supermarket. I feel like nearly everything at the supermarket is inferior quality wise and just more expensive than Costco.

Sometimes you just need 1 onion and 2 potatoes, not 5 and 10 lb bags that will go rotten before you get to the halfway mark.

Also I feel bad about buying stuff like that even if it is still cheaper then buying the same amount you use from a grocery store and throw the remaining several pounds away.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

I purchased an Alaska cruise but didn’t buy their flights as they were more expensive than I could get from other places.

Yeah that was kind of what made me :eyepop: was adding on flights added almost two and a half bands which was a serious :thunk: moment.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Does the Costco have any decent Toaster Ovens in stock at local warehouses? I got a text from my wife this morning that our toaster oven might have died, and I won’t get a chance to take a look at it until this afternoon. It gets pretty good split duty between reheating leftovers and toasting bread and frozen waffles/pancakes. So something that can toast is a requirement over an air fryer. Unless airfryers can toast well. I have never really looked at them much.

Just trying to get the ball rolling in case I need to buy or order something quickly, as our toaster oven tends to get used at least once a day, if not multiple times a day with small children who like the same thing to eat every day.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
I've used my air fryer to toast before and it works pretty well for that - like a split baguette not normal sliced bread. I haven't tried the toaster oven/air fryer combo they have carried lately but if it air fries well it probably toasts just fine.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pentyne posted:

Sometimes you just need 1 onion and 2 potatoes, not 5 and 10 lb bags that will go rotten before you get to the halfway mark.

Also I feel bad about buying stuff like that even if it is still cheaper then buying the same amount you use from a grocery store and throw the remaining several pounds away.

:agreed:

There is a whole lot of stuff I don't get from Costco because it would be a huge waste. I don't have a family of four and the quantity of some of their stuff is just astronomical.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There is a whole lot of stuff I don't get from Costco because it would be a huge waste. I don't have a family of four and the quantity of some of their stuff is just astronomical.

Even with a family of four its usually a lot. Heck, our covid bubble was 9 and there were still things we avoided.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The ethical quandary of Costco:
I need cheesecake for two people.
Costco cheesecake (feeds 12) $10 - Grocery store cheesecake (feeds 2) $8.

Also takes up an entire fridge shelf.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Cheesecake freezes insanely well so that's an easy decision.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Cheesecake freezes insanely well so that's an easy decision.

My freezer is already full of costco.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

I think you mean (feeds 2, 6 times). There you go.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Do I need 8 danishes? No.

Do I want an excuse to eat 8 danishes? Yes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
We share a lot with friends and neighbors, works out well.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The danishes continue to make me sad. They're so bad since they started adding the sugar jizz drizzle on :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My freezer is already full of costco.

:hmmyes: