Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Commander Keene posted:

Would Sony have allowed that? From what I understand it was very difficult for a game with no 3D aspects at all to get licensed by Sony in those days. They were pushing the 3D aspect of the PlayStation brand heavily back then.

That was a Sony US thing only and it was also only for the first like..year before Bernie Stolar bailed to go to Sega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like 7s style.

Same. 8 was better, but 7 had it's own charm.

Only things I hate about 7 were that the intro was obnoxiously long, and the fact that my disc 3 just didn't work so I never got to the last bit of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's only two discs, but I'm assuming you meant disc 2. The finale is pretty great though, shame you missed out

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I recently had a non-working PS2 disk resurfaced at my FLGS, and it works just fine now. I was genuinely surprised because I remember that being a false hope back in the 2000s

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Commander Keene posted:

Would Sony have allowed that? From what I understand it was very difficult for a game with no 3D aspects at all to get licensed by Sony in those days. They were pushing the 3D aspect of the PlayStation brand heavily back then.

Yes. By the time DW7 came out, that policy had been either greatly relaxed or completely done away with. See the Lunar games, Alundra, Castlevania Chronicles, Torneko, Mega Man 8/X4-6 (although from what I understand, Capcom threatened to pull other, more popular series from the platform if SCEA axed MM8/X4), Tales of Destiny + Eternia, a bunch of arcade ports (Strikers 1945, R-Types, Metal Slug X, etc.), and many many others that were released past, like, 1998.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

In Training posted:

There's only two discs, but I'm assuming you meant disc 2. The finale is pretty great though, shame you missed out

Weird, I vaguely remember everything not working the second The original island gets locked down. I thought it was on a disc change but it's been awhile, it might have been one point that was just continuously not working.

Either way I should probably eventually nut up and finish it on the 3ds since I already have it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I know the remake for seven is considered definitive and much better than the original, but any of you prefer the OG version?

I ask because although I never beat Dragon Quest 6 on the SNES, I thought it had a really good unique pixel art style n a very specific insanely polished charm. The DS remake frankly stripped all of that charm out somehow due to the asset reuse, I still beat it but it felt very generic compared to my very first exposure to that game.

I almost feel like the full game did not live up to the presentation of the SNES game and that excellent presentation was partially carrying it. It's definitely no Dragon Quest 5 as far as plot and general gameplay goes

Anyways, I doubt I would have the stomach to ay the original seven so I'll probably play it on 3DS. Just curious to see what you all think.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 9, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KingSlime posted:

I know the remake for seven is considered definitive and much better than the original, but any of you prefer the OG version?

I ask because although I never beat Dragon Quest 6 on the SNES, I thought it had a really good unique pixel art style n a very specific insanely polished charm. The DS remake frankly stripped all of that charm out somehow due to the asset reuse, I still beat it but it felt very generic compared to my very first exposure to that game.

I almost feel like the full game did not live up to the presentation of the SNES game and that excellent presentation was partially carrying it. It's definitely no Dragon Quest 5 as far as plot and general gameplay goes

Anyways, I doubt I would have the stomach to ay the original seven so I'll probably play it on 3DS. Just curious to see what you all think.

Still making my way through 6 though I am enjoying it. I say play 7 the way you feel like I am probably going to do the 3ds version as well.

Though I have hit a low point on my 6 playthrough. Namely messing up on my vocation reading. The Hero vocation can be learned by mastering the Luminary, Gladiator, Sage, and Ranger vocations, the exception to this being the games hero who just has to master one of those vocations. However I had my hero learn the Armamentalist vocation, cause I was mistakenly under the impression that it was one of the vocations that led into Hero. Now I have to do another 400 fights to get my Hero class.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

KingSlime posted:

6 SFC looks really pretty but part of why I like the game at all besides the fights is that some of the characters like Carver, Ashlynn, and Amos are pretty likable with their party chat dialogue so I honestly can’t imagine ever going back to the SNES version even assuming it got a modern localization fan patch. That’s just me though.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Still making my way through 6 though I am enjoying it. I say play 7 the way you feel like I am probably going to do the 3ds version as well.

Though I have hit a low point on my 6 playthrough. Namely messing up on my vocation reading. The Hero vocation can be learned by mastering the Luminary, Gladiator, Sage, and Ranger vocations, the exception to this being the games hero who just has to master one of those vocations. However I had my hero learn the Armamentalist vocation, cause I was mistakenly under the impression that it was one of the vocations that led into Hero. Now I have to do another 400 fights to get my Hero class.

What’s up, “leveled the Hero wrong on his first playthrough” buddy? :hfive: I leveled Hero in Priest because I thought him having healing spells made sense but VI’s vocation system is very much made for you to have some kind of plan for your endgame team or just grind sea monsters forever. At least it’ll be easy with Thin Air!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

KingSlime posted:

One aspect in DS/mobile 6's favor is that it has a complete, professional translation. The SFC fan patch was never finished (and has that nasty menu crash bug). And probably never will be at this point.

DQ3r SFC uses the same engine, if you've not played that yet. It also has a complete fan patch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can't think of what the Armamentalist was in the SNES version, if it existed, but stuff like Battlemaster, Ranger, and Paladin were just so drat powerful I can't imagine not making the hero one of those first.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't think of what the Armamentalist was in the SNES version, if it existed, but stuff like Battlemaster, Ranger, and Paladin were just so drat powerful I can't imagine not making the hero one of those first.

It's Fighter-Mage or whatever the Warrior + Mage was called in the patch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TurnipFritter posted:

It's Fighter-Mage or whatever the Warrior + Mage was called in the patch.

I think that was Ranger in the fan translation like it is in the PSX version of DQ7, with the DS remake's Ranger being the Pirate(?) job in the SNES patch.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Commander Keene posted:

I remember that from the early days of PlayStation, but DQVII came out years after SotN, which was almost entirely 2D and already a classic. They could have done it if they wanted.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I gave the Heavenly Flight song to Jonathan Ong, a musician on twitch who learns the songs by ear and performs them in loop of different instruments, and I think it came out pretty incredible. He records layers and plays on top of them using piano, EWI, and flute.
Heavenly Flight was always my favorite music from DQ and hearing it for the first time in DQ8 orchestrated was my favorite moment in DQ8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT8LSJjvYtY

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Wow that was incredible! Really captures that dq8 moment I also love.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i recently finished dragon quest builders 2 and holy moly i have never wanted characters to just shut the gently caress up more in a game in a really long time

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i recently finished dragon quest builders 2 and holy moly i have never wanted characters to just shut the gently caress up more in a game in a really long time

It’s amazing, because I’m even invested in the characters a pretty fair amount but the inability to just rocket through text, combined with these cartoony schmucks just being wordy as all hell and the unskippable slow text that appears frequently makes it incredibly frustrating.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think the worst was the mining area, where you'd have the head miner point out a copper vein, have the camera pan over to the copper vein block, then upon breaking the copper vein and picking up the ore you'd get a little key item fanfare and a message about having found a piece of copper, then Malroth would be like "woah did you find a piece of copper ore?? we need to collect X number right?" and it's just like, ok, I know these games are for young children but you do not need this level of repetition.

Great finale though.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the worst was the mining area, where you'd have the head miner point out a copper vein, have the camera pan over to the copper vein block, then upon breaking the copper vein and picking up the ore you'd get a little key item fanfare and a message about having found a piece of copper, then Malroth would be like "woah did you find a piece of copper ore?? we need to collect X number right?" and it's just like, ok, I know these games are for young children but you do not need this level of repetition.

Great finale though.

100% agree with everything you said.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dqb2 is one of my favorite games of all time but yeah, that poo poo is a bit much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Beat 6. Mortamor was not as hard as Nimzo cause I had more options (Though I was also 10 Levels higher for Mortamor)

Will move on to 7 soon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Which 7?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

3ds one probably

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking as someone who's played and beaten both versions of DQ7, if you have access to the 3DS version absolutely play that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I heard the Eshop is closing next year so decided I should get 3ds stuff while I can.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Commander Keene posted:

Speaking as someone who's played and beaten both versions of DQ7, if you have access to the 3DS version absolutely play that.

I so wish it was on a console. I'm old so the 3DS screen is just too small for me to play games that require huge time investments. I end up with hella eye strain.

Maybe it'll end up on Switch at some point. That would be ideal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So what's an easy way to access my 3DS's SD card via my PC if my PC doesn't have a SD card reader, get a USB reader off of Amazon?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does your phone take SD cards?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Evil Fluffy posted:

So what's an easy way to access my 3DS's SD card via my PC if my PC doesn't have a SD card reader, get a USB reader off of Amazon?
If you have a New 3DS there's a built-in Wi-Fi file transfer thing and if you have CFW you can install FTP apps. The transfer speed isn't exactly stellar, but it works, especially if you have one of the N3DS systems where the uSD slot is under the battery cover and a complete pain in the rear end to access.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Just buying a USB card reader is the easy option, yes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

YggiDee posted:

Does your phone take SD cards?

Probably not many phones that take full size SDs anymore (assuming it's an old 3DS not a New). Grabbing a cheap card reader is the way to go yeah.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

If you have a New 3DS there's a built-in Wi-Fi file transfer thing and if you have CFW you can install FTP apps. The transfer speed isn't exactly stellar, but it works, especially if you have one of the N3DS systems where the uSD slot is under the battery cover and a complete pain in the rear end to access.

It's the Link Between Worlds 3DS (still on version 11.2.34 or so for the firmware). Sounds like grabbing a cheap SD card reader is the way to go.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Evil Fluffy posted:

If your 3ds is hacked you can always run a FTP server through homebrew.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Buy a USB hub that has an SD card reader.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Buy a USB hub that has an SD card reader.

Agreed, they are $20 or less easily pretty much everywhere.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Should I pick up DQ8 on 3DS before the eshop closes down, or should I get it for PS2 instead (though this would require me to get my PS2 fixed)? I've never played it before.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
PS2 version looks better but the 3DS version has more quality of life stuff and just plain more game (more side quests, more party members, more postgame stuff iirc. The 3DS OST sucks because of Sugiyama being Sugiyama (ie: a miserable old bastard) but it seems like 3DS modding is pretty easy if time-consuming, at which point you can mod your game to have the proper arranged version.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Framboise posted:

Should I pick up DQ8 on 3DS before the eshop closes down, or should I get it for PS2 instead (though this would require me to get my PS2 fixed)? I've never played it before.

3DS version has more quality of life features. No random battles and the fights can be sped up. It also features two new party members.

The only drawbacks are the lack of orchestrated music and lower quality graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

3DS version is basically definitive, and the additions are substantial. I say go for it.