Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Ogre events:

The Butchers discover ketchup. Do you roll with it, or do you tell them to miss you with that nasty vegetable poo poo?
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sv0c81/the_man_who_came_up_with_the_ogre_events_needs_a/

Skrag eats My Little Pony
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/suubft/skrag_encounters_odly_colored_horses_sorry_shitty/

Ugh. Disgusting ketchup. Now if it was mustard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I did the prologue on my laptop, a GS66 stealth, and it worked fine. It has the issue where alt-tabbing instantly closes the game there though.

My older desktop has a 1050 Ti, and it worked fine on the medium settings it defaulted to. Skarbrand turned grey on the campaign map during the AI turns. I could alt-tab here.

Large unit size is what the game is balanced around, right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Panfilo posted:

Another thing people need to be aware of (unless they changed this) is that ranged attacks drain stamina faster than melee. For a hybrid unit doing a lot of both they are going to get pooped out rather quickly. It's most evident on missile chariot units which are going to be going all mad max on enemy formations. I know Kislev has a few buffs that help with stamina so there's that.

Another thing I took for granted over hybrid units like sea guard is shields. I get the impression you ought to shoot melee units but charge ranged units if possible to minimize damage received.

On the other hand I did notice that stamina seems to come back much faster now. Put the game on rapid speed and let the units stand around a bit and they'll go from exhausted to fresh lightning fast.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Doomykins posted:

3) The wall is another cool idea I like for the same "chance to fight battles that aren't hard 20v20" and "playing siege but I defend for once." There are some silly problems: taking per turn attrition as the people holed up in a massive supremely well stocked defensible position because literally tariff's cavemen are banging their clubs on the worthless chaos ground outside, letting armies sneak past my solid wall because of the above, enemy heroes doing the same(there's a pair of tzeentch blob birds loitering in my Cathay and all my current heroes are army duty.) The real problem though is that like the caravans the threats don't scale. You can slap down -40% upkeep real easily and toss a 10 stack on each gate and just hoover up free money, items and reserve leveled lords as Kurgan 7 stacks unga bunga into their deaths endlessly. There's some 20 stacks out there from named WoC/Norsca factions occupying the lovely red clime towns but they never approach. Kairos did come by once but I mentioned how stupidly bugged Tzeentch AI is at the moment, Meow broke both his necks.

Dunno about this one. At some point they'll throw those 7 stacks into one gate, and let me tell you, nothing is going to save you from 20 mammoths and a billion axe marauders.

Edit: Same thing about the caravans. Later on the chaos stacks that pour out of the gates start attacking your caravans, and if you're doing the soul collecting, they a lot harder than the random events.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 18, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr Christmas posted:

I did the prologue on my laptop, a GS66 stealth, and it worked fine. It has the issue where alt-tabbing instantly closes the game there though.

My older desktop has a 1050 Ti, and it worked fine on the medium settings it defaulted to. Skarbrand turned grey on the campaign map during the AI turns. I could alt-tab here.

Warhammer 3 changes the default to Ultra from Large and looks to be balanced around that.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Dr Christmas posted:

Someone upthread mentioned that it was Ultra, but that may have been speculation

Edit: The main campaign actually runs better on the campaign map than the prologue did

Deketh fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 18, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
G-dubs posted a Cathay article which includes this map:

Singling out the Hobs like that seems promising...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Maps probably work better on smaller sizes but I would never elect to have less mans

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Warhammer 3 changes the default to Ultra from Large and looks to be balanced around that.
Is there any way to change that after campaign start? Mine defaulted to medium and it doesn't seem to change. The battle map runs fine so I think ultra would be good, its just the campaign itself.

Also, fuuuck, Mannfred started winning the war against the Empire and I think I need to help them out. That's making it very hard to attack the demons, Mannfred!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mordja posted:

Cool. Hobgoblins are definitely coming with Chaos Dwarfs, though maybe the Hobgoblin Khanate (along with a LL, lords and heroes) could also work as a Greenskin addition. I'm not sure there's really enough there to make a standalone race, but who knows, you could pull a Vampire Coast/Norsca and scavenge old random mentions and associate appropiate stuff from White Dwarf, Dogs of War and Monstrous Arcanum and such that they've done before.

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any way to change that after campaign start? Mine defaulted to medium and it doesn't seem to change. The battle map runs fine so I think ultra would be good, its just the campaign itself.

Traditionally you've had to start a new campaign to get the effect of a different unit scale. There's really not much of a reason for it anymore as it's kind of just a multiplier to entity numbers and health, but maybe it'd be too much because of save data on unit health and numbers being in absolute numbers rather than percentages.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's definitely lore appropriate for Mannfred to ruin a war against Chaos.

Has anyone figured out how to run the multiplayer campaigns solo? I tried and either I'm dumb or it doesn't work.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mordja posted:

G-dubs posted a Cathay article which includes this map:

Promising for Warhammer 3 or for The Old World though?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is Xen Yang a person/dragon or a location? They've also marked Miao YIng and Zhao Ming there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Randarkman posted:

Is Xen Yang a person/dragon or a location? They've also marked Miao YIng and Zhao Ming there.

Xen Yang is the Dragon Emperor's name.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zore posted:

Xen Yang is the Dragon Emperor's name.

Oh I thought he wasn't around anymore, like not dead, just sort of gone. Or a behind the scenes character like the Phoenix King and the members of the Council of 13.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Smaller unit sizes means less Nurglings in each company therefore Ultra is objectively the correct way to play the game and your processor can take it up with the Devil in Hell

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AnEdgelord posted:

Promising for Warhammer 3 or for The Old World though?

Outside of story events I'd argue they're one and the same. If GW's making a Khanate army for their TT resurrection then they'll definitely show up in TWW.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Oh I thought he wasn't around anymore, like not dead, just sort of gone. Or a behind the scenes character like the Phoenix King and the members of the Council of 13.

He and the Moon Empress are around, they just don't deal with day to day stuff in Cathay at this point and hang out in their magical capital city working on something mysterious while 5 of their kids manage various portions of the Empire. They were gone for about 350 years but came back fairly recently.

Odds are that they'll not show up as units in game though and basically function like the Phoenix King/Council of 13. I think the map is just showing the areas each Dragon is in charge of in Cathay and Xen Yang is listed as the overall ruler.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 18, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Traditionally you've had to start a new campaign to get the effect of a different unit scale. There's really not much of a reason for it anymore as it's kind of just a multiplier to entity numbers and health, but maybe it'd be too much because of save data on unit health and numbers being in absolute numbers rather than percentages.
poo poo. Oh well. Guess I'm stuck with it for now.

Also, ran into some kind of bug with Katarin's quest battle. My Streltsi just sit in place and refuse to move which makes getting attacked by a bunch of flamers of Tzeench a lot harder! I suppose I'll deal with that one later on once I have some higher tier units.

Last thought; I appreciate that the armored kossar units remain viable instead of just lines of streltsi/ice guard. They have better melee stats that streltsi and do more ranged damage, albeit with less range, ammo, and AP. Also they get more research to keep them viable late game. I think I might go with a line of 2 each of Streltsi and both armored kossar variants (maybe 4 streltsi, 2 shielded ones) and use Ice Guard with katarin's army and regular kossars with everyone else. We'll see, I'm pretty money-starved.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Hobs have always been singled out as a separate thing in lore, so I'd count that as a neutral fact myself.

Wild speculation: I think we'd be more likely to get Hobs (as a separate polity*) if we'd seen more 'sub' factions that have a truncated unit list or even a couple unique units. Now we do kinda have this, in that not all empire factions have the full roster and some greenskins have a smaller unit pool, but it was mainly Brettonia in early WH1 that was built that way. Since I don't really see the Hobs getting fleshed out into a full faction, I also don't think CA will place them on the map as their own faction with just a half dozen picks of hobs and some greenskins.

THAT SAID, the outpost system does make it at least a little more likely. Buddy up with a minor faction that has a special unique cool unit only they can recruit, and use your outposts to get it for yourself, that type of thing. That's more of a mod thing, though, I doubt CA would justify building a new unit that players can only control themselves in that specific circumstance. Unless it was a special re-skin like elector troops.

*lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Maps probably work better on smaller sizes but I would never elect to have less mans

I think honestly with the size of the settlement maps you want as many mans as possible because you could probably fit three or four armies on most of them no trouble.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I was bummed Kostaltin beat me to 50 supporters but I'm making more than them now. I was disappointed/surprised I couldn't use the "reduce supporters by 50" button if they had less than 50 supporters!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Electronico6 posted:

Dunno about this one. At some point they'll throw those 7 stacks into one gate, and let me tell you, nothing is going to save you from 20 mammoths and a billion axe marauders.

Edit: Same thing about the caravans. Later on the chaos stacks that pour out of the gates start attacking your caravans, and if you're doing the soul collecting, they a lot harder than the random events.

Oh that's really cool, I feel better about my caravans getting swole and dumpstering ogre lunkheads. And I can graduate my wall defenders to full doom stacks eventually. Thanks for the heads up! It'd be lame if it was suicide cave man for 100+ turns.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The game, which has the most new Warhammer stuff in forever, is out and we’re still hyped for future content updates.Two weeks at most before we get to hear about the roadmap!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Alright, Katerina. So I've seized the Eastern Oblert, Praag and that icy pass area the brown Norscalings and the brotherhood of the bear were squatting in. The first round of portals went up a bit sooner then I hoped and I lost my gambit for the Khorne soul to, I guess fittingly, Skarbrands team. I don't think I have time to try for another portal, what should I focus on? Kicking the hell pit over? Moving into the northeast? I have a 30 support lead on Kostaltyn but he's catching up faster then I thought he might. The pull between scrambling for campaign objectives while the rift is up, defending territory, and building up for the next roar is compelling but slightly overwhelming.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Characters level up too quickly. Never really understood why they think it's a good idea to make me choose some minor upgrade every single turn vs packing it into one upgrade it takes longer to get.

Ive been trying nurgle and gotta admit his units are just a bit too slow and lack variety. Not a huge amount to do in the fights, and I don't really like the building cycles. Plagues are cool though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Do we know when the workshop opens up? Because honestly I'd just prefer these campaigns to just be about painting the map/making your won objectives, and the whole every 30 turns portal open up everywhere thing is kind of repetive and sort of means you have to do that whoever you are. I'd kind of just like to play as Ogres and operate toll booths in the mountain passes or do Kislev on Very Hard and get invaded by all the Norscans and Chaos folks coming south.

Someone will probably figure out a way to just deactivate the Ursun's roar event, but it'd be fine if the Chaos rifts were still in just rarer and more unpredictable, becoming much more likely to appear in regions with high Chaos corruption, meaning there should be a lot of them at all times up in the wastes, so if one pops up in your lands, maybe you'll get Kairos or Skarbrand coming over for a visit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sinteres posted:

My initial impression is that I probably like the launch version of this less than I liked the launch version of 2, though that could just be that I keep trying to play as Kislev when I don't think I like hybrid units really at all. Despite the tutorial, I think this game's going to be a lot less accessible to new players than either of the previous games, especially if they don't change the recommended beginner campaigns away from Katarin and Daemon Prince. Speaking of Katarin, I'm getting my rear end kicked in the supporter race, so even aside from not liking the roster I'm obviously doing something wrong here. I think I'll try Zhao Ming next since that's at least kind of a generalist faction with a relatively easy start position and see how that goes.

There might be something to do this. I liked how the DLC factions got more complicated over time in 2, and when they talked about the baseline being at that level of mechanics for 3 I thought that was really exciting, but in practice I might actually be looking for something a little more vanilla to start with.

Unfortunately after ~14 hours I've come to the conclusion that the factions in this game all kind of suck. I'm looking forward to playing as old factions on the combined world map, but I can't get in to any of my WH3 campaigns so far.

Kislev is the most boring faction I could imagine. There are only minor variations between most of their units, which essentially all fill the same role but with slight differences in their strengths. They don't have any interesting campaign mechanics. They're hilariously easy to bowl over when you fight against them. I'm just not into them thematically/cosmetically/etc either but whatever, that's just me.

Demon Prince is overwhelming, the roster is giant but a ton of the units are again pretty samey and fill similar roles. There aren't any units that are real visual or mechanical standouts (at least that I've used). The whole build-a-bear thing is also an overwhelming dump of options where most of them are nearly identical and don't make much of a difference anyway. They get a small splash of each monogod faction's unique campaign mechanics, but they're such small splashes that the Demon Prince campaign feels largely like it has no unique campaign mechanics (other than changing body parts and gods' favor which is just an alternate way of unlocking troops).

Cathay I come very close to liking. Their campaign mechanics (Balance, the compass) feel good, the central conceit of the faction (holding off chaos at the wall) is cool. In fact, overall I like them and their campaign - they just have kind of a boring roster. You progress from peasant spearmen and archers to trained soldiers and crossbowmen to elite soldiers and crossbowmen :shrug: I will probably finish a Cathay campaign before Elden Ring comes out then put this game down for a while.

Ogres... I haven't spent enough time with them and should probably give them another shot, but for whatever reason I've never found any of Warhammer's 'monstrous humanoid' (greenskins, ogres) charming and faction mechanics that constantly push me forward give me anxiety - I like being able to take a breather for several turns and build up while planning what to do next - so the meat mechanic is annoying to me. Their units look good and have cool animations but in the few battles I played as them I just didn't have a ton of fun playing them.

Out of the monogods I've played (Nurgle and Tzeentch) I actually very much enjoy their campaign presence and campaign mechanics, I think they're tightly designed and great examples of small, focused factions that feel unique. My problem with them is in the units - maybe I just need to get comfortable with their army comps but neither one has any real stand-out showstopper units, I just don't jive with the demon units in this :shrug:

e: Also pretty much every one of these rosters would be greatly improved by a few units that really stand out, so hopefully DLCs with new units and RoRs make them all fun again

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2022

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Still no Blood and Guts DLC, right? I seem to remember WH2 having it ready on release, and tbh playing Skarbrand without it feels kinda anemic

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Turns out I'm not exactly a modern day Zhuge Liang and managed to lose 80% of my army in the first Khorne quest battle. Oh well, at least I got some nice axes out of it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ran into a bug last night while trying to start a Greasus campaign - I couldn't move Greasus army, which I've seen happen if there is a dialogue box that I'm expected to close. But there was no box to close.

Ibblebibble posted:

Turns out I'm not exactly a modern day Zhuge Liang and managed to lose 80% of my army in the first Khorne quest battle. Oh well, at least I got some nice axes out of it.

tbh, being somewhat bad at the game does help with the tone of the prologue's story. I imagine there would of been a disconnect with the growing sense of desperation and haggardness if I was emerging from each quest battle with almost all my forces intact.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

according to the youtubers that have tested it, all unit sizes appear to be balanced with respect to SEM HP and spells. Though multiplayer is probably going to be near-exclusively ultra, so if there is a difference that will be the preference/benchmark.

Kairos Fateweaver found out how I like to eat my chicken wings and now he's stealing my cities.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Cathay I come very close to liking. Their campaign mechanics (Balance, the compass) feel good, the central conceit of the faction (holding off chaos at the wall) is cool. In fact, overall I like them and their campaign - they just have kind of a boring roster. You progress from peasant spearmen and archers to trained soldiers and crossbowmen to elite soldiers and crossbowmen :shrug: I will probably finish a Cathay campaign before Elden Ring comes out then put this game down for a while.

The human factions in Warhammer are mostly meant to be like that in that for the most part they are like a historical pastiche army (often drawing on one specific thing mroe than anything else, like the Empire is late medieval/renaissance HRE and not much of Germany in other eras) with added fantasy elements and going up against (perhaps most importantly) much more fantastical and monstrous armies. That's their appeal IMO. That might not be for everyone, but a faction like Cathay should have mostly a normal military consisting of basic soldiers and more trained/elite ones.

As for the unrelated issue of how they actually perform in battle they are they are going to need a balancing pass as a faction because they've ended up being the more underpowered and awkward to play of all of races in this one, but that shouldn't be an impossible task and probably will get a long way with a relatively light touch on that balancing pass.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 18, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Where exactly are people getting the idea Ultra is the new default unit size

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Where exactly are people getting the idea Ultra is the new default unit size

Because that's the default for multiplayer quick battles (previously it was large).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Randarkman posted:

The human factions in Warhammer are mostly meant to be like that in that for the most part they are like a historical pastiche army (often drawing on one specific thing mroe than anything else, like the Empire is late medieval/renaissance HRE and not much of Germany in other eras) with added fantasy elements and going up against (perhaps most importantly) much more fantastical and monstrous armies. That's their appeal IMO. That might not be for everyone, but a faction like Cathay should have mostly a normal military consiting of basic soldiers and more trained/elite ones.

As for the unrelated issue of how they actually perform in battle they are they are going to need a balancing pass as a faction because they've ended up being the more underpowered and awkward to play of all of races in this one, but that shouldn't be an impossible task and probably will get a long way with a relatively light touch on that balancing pass.

That's totally fair - I'm okay with human factions being largely actual real-world human military stuff. I'd just like to see them with some units in other roles. For example, Clan Eshin got their crazy ninja assassination powers from Cathay - so how come there aren't Stalk/Vanguard ninja units that can sneak around and throw bombs or anything like that? They don't need fantastical units, they just need some variety in the roles of their human units. Where are the archers with flaming arrows, how come the gunpowder units are clones of old factions' gunpowder units, etc. Tie a dude to a kite and have him drop bombs or something.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Ran into a bug last night while trying to start a Greasus campaign - I couldn't move Greasus army, which I've seen happen if there is a dialogue box that I'm expected to close. But there was no box to close.

tbh, being somewhat bad at the game does help with the tone of the prologue's story. I imagine there would of been a disconnect with the growing sense of desperation and haggardness if I was emerging from each quest battle with almost all my forces intact.

True, but sadly this isn't the prologue and I'm just being bad on the main campaign. Did a lot of mismanagement early on and nearly bankrupted myself a couple of times with the free armies you get for razing as Khorne. I kinda wish that there was an upkeep discount on them or something but I can also see it as the game telling me "use it strategically instead of just hitting it for fun, dumbass".

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That's totally fair - I'm okay with human factions being largely actual real-world human military stuff. I'd just like to see them with some units in other roles. For example, Clan Eshin got their crazy ninja assassination powers from Cathay - so how come there aren't Stalk/Vanguard ninja units that can sneak around and throw bombs or anything like that? They don't need fantastical units, they just need some variety in the roles of their human units.

Yeah, that's probably DLC fodder unfortunately which is why it's looking kind of basic right now.

Compare and contrast the Empire when WH1 launched and what it looks like at the end of WH2's life cycle (and there's still probably more stuff coming there)

[I wish I had a picture of that...]

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I definitely forgot just how good the patches and DLC were for the first two games. Despite my big post above about how I don't truly like any of this game's factions, I'm still extremely excited about all of the changes that this game made and I feel like it's going to be a great addition to the combined world map - even if I don't play these factions then, all of the new mechanics like buying allied units, new diplomacy stuff, chaos being an actual threat, etc. are going to be incredible in a combined map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

That's totally fair - I'm okay with human factions being largely actual real-world human military stuff. I'd just like to see them with some units in other roles. For example, Clan Eshin got their crazy ninja assassination powers from Cathay - so how come there aren't Stalk/Vanguard ninja units that can sneak around and throw bombs or anything like that? They don't need fantastical units, they just need some variety in the roles of their human units. Where are the archers with flaming arrows, how come the gunpowder units are clones of old factions' gunpowder units, etc. Tie a dude to a kite and have him drop bombs or something.

I thought all the rats got all the ninja poo poo from Notjapan.