Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Kvlt! posted:

I love that Bongzilla and Boris did a split, not only in that 2 great bands made music together but they represent the complete opposite of the stoner music spectrum: on the one side we have DUDE WEED BONG LMAO (which I love) and on the other side we have the more "intellectual" and experimental side of the scene (which I also love) and they have now unified!

Oh, also -- I try to at least ATTEMPT to not go straight into stereotypes for album art, I mean god.....it's loving so stupid sometimes. Wizards in cloaks on the moon smoking out of satan bongs stuffed into a witch's rear end in a top hat. For the "Weedsconsin" cover though, I embraced all of it and went for it whole hog. Bitchin' demon, weed leaves, smoke, skull bongs, etc. It's a weird genre. I appreciate when bands and artists deviate from many of the tired cliches which are inherent in the scene, but you can also go the other way and lean wayyyy into it. Bongzilla are one of the main purveyors of weed-soaked satire wrapped up in killer tunes, so it all came together nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pike vs The Automaton is out!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pike vs The Automaton is out!

I'm on my lunch break but I listened to Abusive and Throat Cobra and I'm digging it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It just sounds like High on Fire, which is always good!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Zoben posted:

I was really loving pissed since Boris was supposed to play here and one of them got ill so they had to cancel. Earth was playing before them and played an extended show instead to fill the bill, but I'd heard quite a bit about how killer Boris was live. Hope I can see them at some point. It's cool to be connected to them in an extremely peripheral sense with the album split thing, but I've never met any of them or anything.

I saw them on this tour and can confirm they are indeed killer live.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It just sounds like High on Fire, which is always good!

It's so much like HoF that track 2 or 3 is my favorite on the album (#2 on this one)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Just threw my dollars at that BORIS/BONGZILLA 7", so thanks for that. I probably won't have access to my record player for another month thanks to the infinite hell that is a contractor timeline. Went ahead and grabbed Weedsconsin LP too because man I love that silly record. Almost sprung for the autographed version, but I feel weird just getting those from the store. Would rather that sort of thing happen at a merch table which will never loving happen because Houston never gets the shows.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Zoben posted:

Oh, also -- I try to at least ATTEMPT to not go straight into stereotypes for album art, I mean god.....it's loving so stupid sometimes. Wizards in cloaks on the moon smoking out of satan bongs stuffed into a witch's rear end in a top hat. For the "Weedsconsin" cover though, I embraced all of it and went for it whole hog. Bitchin' demon, weed leaves, smoke, skull bongs, etc. It's a weird genre. I appreciate when bands and artists deviate from many of the tired cliches which are inherent in the scene, but you can also go the other way and lean wayyyy into it. Bongzilla are one of the main purveyors of weed-soaked satire wrapped up in killer tunes, so it all came together nicely.

A lot of the cliches of psychedelic/stoner album art are one of my favorite parts of this kind of music, but wizard and weed themed stuff comes across to me as phoning it in now, even with a good artist. Your Weedsconsin cover is awesome because of how drenched in the theme you made it. I don't even really like Bongzilla that much but I listened to the album a couple times because of the cover. Wizard poo poo doesn't really interest me, but a way over the top demon always makes me pay attention.

Things that will never get old to me on album covers: space, deserts, vans, deserts in space, animal skulls, trucks, spacemen, spaceships. I like space themes. Your cover for the DVNE album is one of my favorites.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cat Hassler posted:

Loving Lemanis so far!

Their latest album is also good. They ain't scared to use all the reverb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dlmLRb7-e8

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

The euro version of boris / bongzilla split sold out pretty quick. Reminds me of the mid 2000s when everything Boris sold out immediately.

Saw them in 07 and they owned

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

taqueso posted:

Now they should do the thing where the other band in the split writes the song for you to play. [thinking of something like this Screeching Weasel / Born Against split]

That was a cool record! I was so into Born Against back then

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Snowy posted:

That was a cool record! I was so into Born Against back then

I got to see the Melvins when Big Business were in the Melvins and it was super sweet, two bands writing records together is always awesome and the deal is sweetened when there are two drummers

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A lot of the cliches of psychedelic/stoner album art are one of my favorite parts of this kind of music, but wizard and weed themed stuff comes across to me as phoning it in now, even with a good artist. Your Weedsconsin cover is awesome because of how drenched in the theme you made it. I don't even really like Bongzilla that much but I listened to the album a couple times because of the cover. Wizard poo poo doesn't really interest me, but a way over the top demon always makes me pay attention.

Things that will never get old to me on album covers: space, deserts, vans, deserts in space, animal skulls, trucks, spacemen, spaceships. I like space themes. Your cover for the DVNE album is one of my favorites.

I'm all for space themed album covers, but I feel there's a dearth of food-themed stoner covers. Or even songs, for that matter.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elissimpark posted:

I'm all for space themed album covers, but I feel there's a dearth of food-themed stoner covers. Or even songs, for that matter.

:hmmyes:

This is the only one I can think of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1HwAW6BpH4

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Clutch being... uh, clutch, and a lot more specific:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTrHrGSeNM

Now I want a Clutch / Babish crossover episode.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Trabant posted:

Clutch being... uh, clutch, and a lot more specific:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTrHrGSeNM

Now I want a Clutch / Babish crossover episode.

Oh drat I forgot about that one. That goes hard and one day I'll get around to making those crab cakes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bong ripper are taking merch pre orders for the first time in 3? Years.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Bongzilla has ...

Gummies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpgphsd1nKQ

Cupcake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PITgrUTmAZA

"Rat Salad" honestly does not sound appealing, but there's the Sabbath original and I think High on Fire covered it?

Queens of the Stone Age still count as stoner metal? Did they EVER count as stoner metal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP1aDEnToqA

I'm sure you could look scour some discographies and find enough to fashion a small compilation album. Call it ... LATE NIGHT MUNCHIES.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hatelull posted:

Queens of the Stone Age still count as stoner metal? Did they EVER count as stoner metal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP1aDEnToqA

I'm sure you could look scour some discographies and find enough to fashion a small compilation album. Call it ... LATE NIGHT MUNCHIES.

I put QOTSA in the nearly circular part of the desert rock/stoner rock venn diagram, but that brings up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJG3uB2lVs

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

hatelull posted:

"Rat Salad" honestly does not sound appealing, but there's the Sabbath original and I think High on Fire covered it?

Actually

https://youtu.be/iwL256sf_5E

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Even better! Another track for LATE NIGHT MUNCHIES. Open the album with the obligatory bong rip sample before going into Sabbath's "Rat Salad" and end on "Bat Salad." How is this not a stupid thing?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Caustic Casanova had some tasty cover art in their covers trilogy.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
lmao that's some good Roper aping on that God Luck and Good Speed parody

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Elissimpark posted:

The genre needs a Weird Al type to make food-based parodies.

Not SDS related, but I made a Metallica album food parody a while back. I'm not sure what I was doing but I was probably high

Track listing:

Fattened
...Pants Busted For All
Pie of the Beholder
Ton
Shortest Strawberry Shortcake
Starving for some Sbarro
Fried Ends of Cattle Meat
To Live is to Dine
Dieters Leave

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thanks! That DVNE one turned out super cool. Their sound and concepts were a bit more unique, and they had lots of ideas about what to incorporate into the cover since Asheran did have a whole story going on in the lyrics. Space-y sci-fi poo poo.

The 'Zilla cover was definitely over-the-top theme-wise, which is exactly how they approach their sound and lyrics, so I thought that since they're some of the OGs in terms of full-on weed worship I'd just follow suit. I do think that using marijuana leaves everywhere is super lazy at this point so I don't think I'd do that anymore unless a band requested it specifically. Wizards, I love to draw them mainly because you can do lots of cool drapery and flowing hair but agreed -- just lazy, concept-wise. That's the kind of stuff that any artist or musician agonizes over, being paranoid about absolute repetition, but you can't always re-invent poo poo. Sometimes it's better to think of it like being a chef -- mostly following the same recipe, and just executing it very well.

Anyway, enough about art poo poo, Pike's new album rules from what I've heard so far. It does sound pretty much like HOF overall which is just fine with me

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Food-related SDS, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAj8TZhOOZU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nice. I was completely sold when they turned down the aisle in the supermarket and the band was set up down the end.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Don't forget Mac Sabbath. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7kFfLRcHjU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Saw Yob last night and the setlist was unreal. Might have the order messed up in the middle a bit but:

Prepare the Ground
Atma
Unmasking the Specter
Breathing from the Shallows
Marrow
Quantum Mystic (encore)

Really really good poo poo.

The opener, Sanhedrin, was rad as hell too. Their last album, The Poisoner, is well worth a spin.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I sold my four day pass after most likely getting covid there and now I regret it :(

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Honestly I probably would have sold my ticket if my entire household hadn't just gotten over covid a couple weeks ago. It still felt weird and slightly anxiety inducing to be in such a crowded room.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hulk Krogan posted:

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Honestly I probably would have sold my ticket if my entire household hadn't just gotten over covid a couple weeks ago. It still felt weird and slightly anxiety inducing to be in such a crowded room.

Yeah it was very weird there the night I think I caught it. Everyone seemed nervous except for the group ignoring the signs that asked people to not be a dick about needing to wear a mask. If my girlfriend wasn’t still on a Covid free streak I think I would have been there for the whole Yob run :(

Glad you were able to make it and it sounds like a great show!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Oh there's no mask requirement now, which definitely added to the weirdness. I think I was one of maybe five or six people wearing one in the whole place.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Hulk Krogan posted:

Saw Yob last night and the setlist was unreal. Might have the order messed up in the middle a bit but:

Prepare the Ground
Atma
Unmasking the Specter
Breathing from the Shallows
Marrow
Quantum Mystic (encore)

Really really good poo poo.

The opener, Sanhedrin, was rad as hell too. Their last album, The Poisoner, is well worth a spin.

I've never seen Yob but that setlist rules, I've got great memories of putting on Quantum Mystic and everyone in the room being blown away.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Looks similar to the time I saw them but I got adrift in the ocean before marrow for what's probably the most perfect two songs I've ever seen performed live.

gently caress that was a powerful moment.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yob live are amazing. I’d love to see them again.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Zoben posted:

The genre needs a Weird Al type to make food-based parodies.

Not SDS related, but I made a Metallica album food parody a while back. I'm not sure what I was doing but I was probably high

Track listing:

Fattened
...Pants Busted For All
Pie of the Beholder
Ton
Shortest Strawberry Shortcake
Starving for some Sbarro
Fried Ends of Cattle Meat
To Live is to Dine
Dieters Leave

Can these be heard/downloaded anywhere? I'm always up for comedy metal/rock/etc.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

That Earthquaker sessions w/ Ruby the Hatchet is god drat incredible. I didn't see it in the earlier post cos I have YT set to urls only at work but it could be my favourite release of the year and it's only February. Super excited for their new album if this is the direction is going.

Repost for a new page
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5HniRMpKPVM&feature=youtu.be

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Stoner Doom adjacent, but Mark Lanegan died.

https://pitchfork.com/news/mark-lanegan-screaming-trees-and-queens-of-the-stone-age-singer-dies-at-57/

Along with Queens of the Stone Age he also appeared on the Earth LP Primitive and Deadly.

His solo work is pretty awesome, and that Screaming Trees track was everywhere in the early 90's. Dude was into the HARD stuff back in the day, so hopefully this was health complications and not a relapse.

I got to see him live with The Twilight Singers once and it was pretty drat awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

hatelull posted:

Stoner Doom adjacent, but Mark Lanegan died.

https://pitchfork.com/news/mark-lanegan-screaming-trees-and-queens-of-the-stone-age-singer-dies-at-57/

Along with Queens of the Stone Age he also appeared on the Earth LP Primitive and Deadly.

His solo work is pretty awesome, and that Screaming Trees track was everywhere in the early 90's. Dude was into the HARD stuff back in the day, so hopefully this was health complications and not a relapse.

I got to see him live with The Twilight Singers once and it was pretty drat awesome.

Just found out and came to SDS thread. rip