Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

RC Cola posted:

Details please

The whole intro mission is an exploration of the Far Zenith headquarters. It starts aspirational, and quickly devolves into “we, the elites, have ruined this world, so why stay on it? Come with us into space and leave the plebs to die lol!” Then they murder all the non-elites helping them. Nobody sympathetic died when the ship blew up.

Riven fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
patiently playing Arceus while waiting for my elephant to arrive

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Riven posted:

The whole intro mission is an exploration of the Far Zenith headquarters. It starts aspirational, and quickly devolves into “we, the elites, have ruined this world, so why stay on it? Come with us into space and leave the plebs to die lol!” Then they murder all the non-elites helping them.

incredible. Thank you. I can't play for a month or so, so I'll be reading all the spoilers

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Leathal posted:

Eagerly awaiting PS4 trip reports itt.

Got to the Daunt and no problem so far. I read that the loading time is bad but so far AssCreed: Valhalla have longer loading time than this game.

Impressions so far:
They made a statue of Aloy! Avad is still thirsty for Aloy. Sylens is still a condescending rear end in a top hat. The slitherfang was really fun to fight.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 18, 2022

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Aloy’s hair is an animal all to itself. She was sitting down, in a cave, underground, with absolutely no other signs of air movement whatsoever and her hair is flinging and flipping around like she’s being sucked into a jet engine. It’s hilarious.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Loving it so far, but wow they managed to achieve the impossible and made the crafting even dumber. The loving stash

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Animal parts for upgrades again? I must become Hades, then.

Holy poo poo the combat in Very Hard does not gently caress around. You have to be on point with dodges and use elemental attacks to actually do anything damage and the robots are super agro. I love it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Was the blight a thing in the first game that I completely forgot about? The first few scenes make it sound like Aloy left immediately following the end of the first game to find GAIA and fix it but I don't remember it coming up (also I guess that means the DLC happens earlier in canon?)

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
The facial animation and lip synching in this game is on another level, Jesus.

Really glad the side quests are all varied and high quality too, refreshing to see.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hobo Clown posted:

Was the blight a thing in the first game that I completely forgot about? The first few scenes make it sound like Aloy left immediately following the end of the first game to find GAIA and fix it but I don't remember it coming up (also I guess that means the DLC happens earlier in canon?)

It is. There are several blighted areas on the H:ZD map, each with turbocharged machines. IIRC most (all?) are optional clears for resources and rewards.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Leathal posted:

Eagerly awaiting PS4 trip reports itt.

Even though reviewers all said it mostly runs fine on slim PS4 (besides long load times which I’m okay with), I’m seeing a worrying number of random internet people saying it has frequent in-combat stutters.

Also I’m concerned about some spoilers I read about the sci-fi side of the story going pretty far off the rails and not in a good way. Did they keep the same writers as HZD? Particularly the guy who wrote New Vegas.

John Gonzalez left Guerrilla in 2020 but he's still billed as the Narrative Director for this game.

I'm still really early into the story, but a lot of the reviews saying that HFW was "too sci-fi" seem to be coming from people who somehow didn't realize the first game was science fiction. So I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I’m having a weird problem with the resolution mode. It makes my game look really weird when moving. Like motion blur everywhere, even when I turn it off, and very strange latency issues that make me feel like I’m moving underwater. No problems whatsoever with performance mode though.

Maybe what I’m seeing is what games have always looked like but now my eyes view it as abnormal because I’ve been favoring performance modes on all games for a couple years now.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 18, 2022

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Holy crap this opening credits sequence is amazing.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also the game is good and Varl is still number one in my heart. Buddy looking like a snack at the beginning of the game.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
“Hey! Sh.”

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

isk posted:

It is. There are several blighted areas on the H:ZD map, each with turbocharged machines. IIRC most (all?) are optional clears for resources and rewards.

Ah thanks. I read a couple recaps to refresh my memory and didn't see it mentioned.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

I'm still really early into the story, but a lot of the reviews saying that HFW was "too sci-fi" seem to be coming from people who somehow didn't realize the first game was science fiction. So I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

I just finished a story section that was too sci-fi (around 5 story missions in) I'm curious to see where it goes now but it did feel a bit out of place from what I remember of what happened in the last game

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'm going to start on Hard, because I'm not that good at Horizon combat but the normal mode replay of HZD that I was doing to pass the time reminded me that combat is a bit boring when you're all kitted out and the bots pose little threat.

I'm also going to go out after work and buy a copy, because I want a disc version but Amazon hosed up shipping and my order won't be here today. I got a $5 credit out of it, but that's not going to stop me from returning the one I ordered once it's here, because I Cannot Wait.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Also the game is good and Varl is still number one in my heart. Buddy looking like a snack at the beginning of the game.

I was upset when he saved. He looked great with a beard.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just caught up with Erend and it’s daunting how I’ve been pootling about in this huge valley for the last couple of hours then go to the map screen and zoom out…and zoom out…and zoom out…and zoooooom out.

It’s hilarious how all Aloy’s pals crush so hard on her and want to help but she just gets the gently caress out asap. I felt really bad for Varl, the way she left him hanging like that. Especially how weird things must be for him now he has a Focus and she’s taken him into Far Zentih and he’s learned about Liz, space travel, and the like.

I’ve gone with resolution mode so far and it’s gorgeous. If there is some chugging later at some wide vista with lots going on I might switch up but now, I’m fine with the lower frame rate trade off. Also, the PS5 load times are a revelation after the long bouts of thumb twiddling on PS4 Horizon any time you had to reload.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
It's ridiculous the PS5 still isn't easily available after being out a whole year.

Just bought the PS4 version will have to play it on that until I guess a few years in the future when PS5 are easier to acquire.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

Just caught up with Erend and it’s daunting how I’ve been pootling about in this huge valley for the last couple of hours then go to the map screen and zoom out…and zoom out…and zoom out…and zoooooom out.

First game did this well with the Nora lands and then you leave and oh gently caress the map is HUGE. I’m happy to see a similar setup. I’m having a blast exploring this little chunk of the map by itself and getting re-aquatinted with the combat in very hard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

blue squares posted:

Loving it so far, but wow they managed to achieve the impossible and made the crafting even dumber. The loving stash

Crafting automatically accesses the stash right?

I put the game on normal so it doesn't take ages and I haven't been bothering with doing hunts. I think I still have to though because the robos just blow me up with one hit sometimes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat, gyro aiming in a non Nintendo game just feels so good. It feels like such a long-waited edition that I was surprised you have to dig into the menus to enable it by default.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Game rules so far. Playing on PS4pro it runs and looks pretty drat good

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Holy poo poo: I whistled for my mount, it ran up to the road just below the ledge I was on so I jumped off and landed on it seamlessly like a gingernut Zorro. GotY 2022.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I feel like I'm gonna get angry at checkpoints from time to time. I accidentally button mashed my way to skipping a cutscene and decided I'd better reload, and it set me like 20 minutes back :negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just finished Death's Door in the main storyline.

Holy poo poo.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if I need to mess with my monitor settings. 30 fps just hitches like crazy. Or maybe that's just how 30 fps looks and I'm used to 60? Not really sure what's going on.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
They don't skimp on skill points in the early bits, boy howdy!

Anybody have an area or key skill I should focus on? I'm currently dumping points into ranged and a few into stealth, and already have a valor surge without venturing south of Chainscrape.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I was upset when he saved. He looked great with a beard.

A lot of people are talking about how it was pretty loving gross when Aloy commented on his looks and told him he better shave. Like wtf Sony game studios? Then she pokes fun at him being illiterate, and not twenty minutes later she’s “shh”’ing another minority (the scroll guy). Let alone all her, “God isn’t real” rhetoric. I’m going to keep playing but if her xenophobia keeps on man I dunno. Seems like the devs are just trying harder and harder to make her another Abby.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just got my first skill point, and that's a lot of stuff to look at. One thing I don't like is skill trees being split between a bunch of different tabs, it's just harder to weigh them against one another and keep a path in mind. I guess these ones are *technically* on the same tab, but you still have to scroll enough that it's functionally the same.

For what it's worth, I had to grab aiming concentration first, but after that I'm trying to decide whether to favor ranged or melee.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
So I think I may have a bug, can anyone tell me if the stitcher (outfits) guy in Chainscrape is accessible from the start? There's an icon above his head, he's visible on the map, but I don't get an interact prompt and have never been able to speak to him. I'm quite early on, just killed the machines in the quarry.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

exquisite tea posted:

Just finished Death's Door in the main storyline.

Holy poo poo.

Yea just did the boss here and see what some reviewers were getting at with the direction. Still was a solid “wtf” moment when Beta opened the gene locked door”

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

f#a# posted:

They don't skimp on skill points in the early bits, boy howdy!

Anybody have an area or key skill I should focus on? I'm currently dumping points into ranged and a few into stealth, and already have a valor surge without venturing south of Chainscrape.

I've done the same with Ranged. who the hell knows lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HampHamp posted:

So I think I may have a bug, can anyone tell me if the stitcher (outfits) guy in Chainscrape is accessible from the start? There's an icon above his head, he's visible on the map, but I don't get an interact prompt and have never been able to speak to him. I'm quite early on, just killed the machines in the quarry.

The whistle hasn't been blown! No work allowed!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just got my first skill point, and that's a lot of stuff to look at. One thing I don't like is skill trees being split between a bunch of different tabs, it's just harder to weigh them against one another and keep a path in mind. I guess these ones are *technically* on the same tab, but you still have to scroll enough that it's functionally the same.

For what it's worth, I had to grab aiming concentration first, but after that I'm trying to decide whether to favor ranged or melee.

You can navigate between all the trees at once. Just open one tree and move the sticks left or right to see all of them. You can also L/R1 around between them. It’s good actually.

I hear a lot of people saying they prefer the 60fps mode because something seems wrong or slow about 30fps now. Which if you think about it is so weird because just a few years ago most every console game was 30fps. One possibility is that around the same time all our cell phones started getting 60-120hz displays. It’s entirely possible in our tech based culture that we’ve just become accustomed to the world scrolling by faster. For instance, 2021 feels like it went by twice as fast as 2020. Really interesting how our collective mind’s perception of time has changed based on frame rate alone. I imagine 60fps is the hard wall for console games. Nobody wants their game to be beaten in just 12 hours at 120hz.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Range is solid to get started at least get enough to unlock the first ultimate. Also the first skill on each tree is pretty good. Stealth is more damage, healing is more healing, etc. I don’t see any MUST GRAB skills (outside of triple notch in range) so just dump skills where you feel you want them. If you’re doing side quest and trials like the fighting pits you’re going to have a ton of skills. For reference: I’m still in the starting area (almost to the end, 1 side quest to go before moving on I think) and I’m level 8 and have used 17 skill points so far.

Question: do items have a limit in the stash? Is it something ridiculous like 9999 if any? Because I’m going to keep hoarding and stopping for every single branch and berry until I hit a cap if there’s one.

Probably gonna keep grabbing poo poo even if there’s no cap.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I’m having a weird problem with the resolution mode. It makes my game look really weird when moving. Like motion blur everywhere, even when I turn it off, and very strange latency issues that make me feel like I’m moving underwater. No problems whatsoever with performance mode though.

Maybe what I’m seeing is what games have always looked like but now my eyes view it as abnormal because I’ve been favoring performance modes on all games for a couple years now.

I dunno, I tried resolution mode with and without motion blur and I just don't like it. It looks great when you're looking at scenery but when you start moving around it just feels so jerky that it kinda makes my head hurt. The Switch doesn't do more than 30fps, does it? I never felt that way when I'm playing Pokemon or whatever, but I had the same sort of feeling with Control's resolution mode on PS5, too (although not to this degree.)

I'm a little disappointed that this generation still can't handle 4k60 consistently, I feel like I shouldn't have to make this choice. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Man this sets a new bar for open world sidequests, if they maintain this quality throughout. Every one feels unique and important, and the astonishing cutscene animation is something else.

I'm playing in performance mode, and I'm hearing a lot of people complaining about shimmering, but I'm not really noticing any? I'm super sensitive to flickering and frame rates, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm not seeing a huge drop in image quality either, to my eyes resolution mode is drastically worse because of the juddery motion.