Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gnoman posted:

Most of that 100k army was explicitly locally recruited troops. That's how the local Great Captain was able to do as much damage as he did - he disguised his forces as local Seanchan formations.

Found this as a kinda sourced article:

http://13depository.blogspot.com/20...20and%20Altara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Well this Seeker questioning Bethamin is shady as gently caress

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

goethe.cx posted:

Well this Seeker questioning Bethamin is shady as gently caress

He really really is.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gnoman posted:

The way the Seanchan fleet is described makes it seem huge, but not insanely so. The colonists are probably in the thousands, not tens or hundreds of thousands, which is still a really, really big settlement wave. Most of the initial colonization of the Americas was with groups of around 100-200, and there were about 150,000 convicts transported to Australia in the century or so the system was set up.

But even tens of thousands from an entire continent is not that extreme. Historically, most early modern nations had populations in the low millions even after the waves of plague and war.

Ebou Dar was filled to bursting with them unloading colonists, and that was with a continuous stream of them having already left the city. There's no way there were just a few thousand colonists.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ebou Dar was filled to bursting with them unloading colonists, and that was with a continuous stream of them having already left the city. There's no way there were just a few thousand colonists.

Supposedly the Forerunners(Turok, then Suroth) were 500 ships.

The actual Return(Galgan) was thousands of ships, they had been gearing up for years. The link I posted has RJ's notes saying they could do 1000 people a ship.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Supposedly the Forerunners(Turok, then Suroth) were 500 ships.

The actual Return(Galgan) was thousands of ships, they had been gearing up for years. The link I posted has RJ's notes saying they could do 1000 people a ship.

A thousand passengers. Plus 200-300 crew.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

My rear end said that sounded high, but apparently there were ships with that capicity in the 1500s.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Well, hell. That puts my napkin math way short - I was basing it on the famous colony ships that were apparently an order of magnitude smaller.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://www.tor.com/2022/02/09/the-wheel-of-time-from-a-geological-perspective/

Neat article from a geologist about the geology of Randland

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This is awesome

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fascinating read!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So Rand is in Far Madding stalking Rochaid when this happens:

“Suddenly a wave of dizziness hit him, a murky face filling his vision for an instant, and he staggered against a passerby.”

It’s happened once before this point where he gets dizzy and sees a face

Is this him starting to merge with Moridin from crossing the streams?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hexel posted:

“Suddenly a wave of dizziness hit him, a murky face filling his vision for an instant, and he staggered against a passerby.”

Yep!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hexel posted:

Its either that or the earliest we see Rand/Mat/Perrin starting to get visions of each other.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zore posted:

Its either that or the earliest we see Rand/Mat/Perrin starting to get visions of each other.

Nah they’ve been doing that for a couple books now, I’m in Winter’s Heart, this dizziness with the murky face is separate and distinct from the swirling colors Rand/Mat/Perrin shiz

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

“And later still, Moridin had said, “Kill him if you must, but above all, bring everything in his possession to me. That will redeem your previous transgressions.” The man said he “one of the Chosen, and no one was mad enough to make that claim unless it was true, yet he seemed to think al’Thor’s belongings more important than his death, the killing incidental and not really necessary.”

What does Moridin want with Rand’s belongings? The Choedan Kal access keys?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hexel posted:

“And later still, Moridin had said, “Kill him if you must, but above all, bring everything in his possession to me. That will redeem your previous transgressions.” The man said he “one of the Chosen, and no one was mad enough to make that claim unless it was true, yet he seemed to think al’Thor’s belongings more important than his death, the killing incidental and not really necessary.”

The seals to the Dark One’s prison?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hexel posted:

Seals, I think, they all thought he had the seals or someone near to him did.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Man nobody has mentioned the seals since Moiraine. I can’t even remember how many he has. Isn’t it like 3-4 with 3 seals broken and one missing?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

And who is this that’s sending Isam/Luc to try and kill Nynaeve and Lan? Demandred?

“The pair sleeping in this room will sleep forever,” Luc said, “but the man was bald, the woman gray.”
“A pity,” the man said, and the voice seemed to melt in Luc’s ears. He would not be able to recognize it if he heard it without the disguise. The man had to be one of the Chosen. Few save the Chosen knew how to reach him”

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hexel posted:

Man nobody has mentioned the seals since Moiraine. I can’t even remember how many he has. Isn’t it like 3-4 with 3 seals broken and one missing?

4 seals broken
- 1 from the Eye
- 2 from Falme (one the Seanchan guy had originally, one the Seanchan took from Domon)
- 1 Nynaeve + crew found in Tanchico, originally intact but broken by the time they got to Salidar

3 unbroken
- 1 found in the Tear storehouse by Moiraine
- 1 found in Rhuidean after Rand's battle with Asmodean
- 1 given to Rand by Taim

It is interesting - the seals feel like such a major plot point early on, but all 7 are accounted for by the start of book 6.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hexel posted:

Those and also the Seals, probably.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

And who is this that’s sending Isam/Luc to try and kill Nynaeve and Lan? Demandred?

“The pair sleeping in this room will sleep forever,” Luc said, “but the man was bald, the woman gray.”
“A pity,” the man said, and the voice seemed to melt in Luc’s ears. He would not be able to recognize it if he heard it without the disguise. The man had to be one of the Chosen. Few save the Chosen knew how to reach him”

It’s Rand and Min. Luc mentions wanting to kill his “nephew and the wench.” Even if it were from Isam’s POV, Lan is Isam’s cousin. I’m assuming Demandred ordered it, because he also told Kisman to kill Rand.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I found a family tree to sort me out :toot:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And that's why Rand was so worried until clearing up just how far that first horizontal line really goes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hexel posted:

I found a family tree to sort me out :toot:

so the dotted line from the casilain to Trakand/Mantear is...1000 years of people

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It was an Amazon X-Ray: "Moiraine utilized ter'angreal in her room to open a gateway to a hut in the the (sic) Fingers of the Dragon Delta, where she met with Siuan Sanche, the Amyrlin Seat".

It one million percent makes more sense if it was tel'aran'rhiod, or one of those pocket realms inside tel'aran'rhiod like Ishy was always playing with, but official word is that it's the world's most insanely convenient double gateway.

This is a great example of the show doing things badly, or at least in a way that makes no sense.

Non book readers: "Magic painting, okey dokey"
Book readers: "What the hell was THAT?"

Then we get different answers on what the hell that was from the cast, the X-Ray, etc. It would have made a lot more sense to show Moiraine sitting down and closing her eyes, then whoosh into a dream world or something, than this out of nowhere physical teleporter gizmo. *grumble*

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, they messed up that ter'angreal thing. I just assumed that they're doing away with the whole "going into t'a'r physically is PURE EVIL" from the books because it literally never comes to anything in the books at all ever. So why put it in?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

One of the VFX studios that worked on S1 shared a proof reel of some of the VFX sequences. At the end when the seanchan show up, the sul’dam start whipping the damane to make them channel. Obviously that didn’t make it into the final product but could that be the maximum gut punch reaction Rafe said they want in S2? Do yall think they’ll have women getting whipped in S2? :aaa:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaDKVA5pFHV/?utm_medium=copy_link

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

One of the VFX studios that worked on S1 shared a proof reel of some of the VFX sequences. At the end when the seanchan show up, the sul’dam start whipping the damane to make them channel. Obviously that didn’t make it into the final product but could that be the maximum gut punch reaction Rafe said they want in S2? Do yall think they’ll have women getting whipped in S2? :aaa:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaDKVA5pFHV/?utm_medium=copy_link

I suppose that because we can't see the mental impulses directing the damane to channel, that whips might be a good way to show how coercive the sul'dam/damane relationship is

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Yea, they messed up that ter'angreal thing. I just assumed that they're doing away with the whole "going into t'a'r physically is PURE EVIL" from the books because it literally never comes to anything in the books at all ever. So why put it in?

Even if you wanted to explicitly keep that all you'd have to do is wait a few seasons and have a Wise One horrified to learn that a couple of Aes Sedai were physically entering t'a'r' for booty calls. It's not like anyone in the Tower knew much of the rules about dreaming at the start of the series.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Another VFX company released a breakdown of their work on the Wheel of Time. It turns out the weaves of the one power in the show were originally supposed to be colored based on their element but somebody made a deliberate artistic decision to just have them all white :ohdear:

And the latest word on the street is don't expect S2 until Q2 2023.

https://www.cinesite.com/the-wheel-of-time-2/

Hexel fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 18, 2022

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I've been looking through the /r/WoT subreddit and there are some great posts. For example, somebody listening to the audiobooks who didn't realize that Domani and damane were different until book 11

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man Crossroads of Twilight is a real slog. It's taking me forever to get through this. Just got to the part where Egwane is thinking Rand is compelling a bunch of sisters because they're working for him, but she seems to have forgotten about him being the most powerful ta'veren of the age????

Also why have they not sent a single sister to have a chat with him? It's been months since they've discovered traveling.

I really don't care about any of the stuff going on in this book and I want to see the reaction to cleansing the male half.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

lmao

Excerpts from Mat's 4th Age Diary posted:

1 June

Assassination attempt this morning, escaped. Galgan sez they were "gimme" assassins, he sent them as a professional courtesy.

Worried about this whole slavery business. Don't like it. Not my ish, am no bloody hero.

Min sez she's having weird visions about Aludra.

Tuon still calling me Knoti. Beats "Toy", but still. Seanchan suck at giving pet names.

8 June

Assassination attempt this morning, escaped. I start incorporating them into my calisthenics routine.

Talked to Beslan. He doesn't like the slavery thing either. Could we offer damane salary, 401k?

Drilled troops. I like air recon, is more flexible than horizontal gateways.

Aludra asks if I've ever heard of the Jhen'eive Convention. Tell her no, she's like, "Good".

16 June

Assassination attempt this morning, escaped. These guys were pretty good. Tuon sez gift from her. Sigh.

Talked to damane. "We love being slaves, it's fun!" Maybe talk to them without sul'dam around next time.

Tuon wants to invade West Seanchan. Convinced her to let them fight it out a little bit first, whittle away the hotheads.

Spent time in seedy dive bars w Beslan. Won some moolah at dice, told chicks I'm taken. Much cute pouting.

18 June

Assassination attempt this morning, escaped. I'd rather they try in the afternoon, was never morning person. Is there form I can fill out?

Hit up damane again, in private this time. Confirmed they don't actually like being slaves.

Aludra peeved. Having trouble inventing exploding shells.

Tuon wins at Jenga. Sez Seanchan good with towers.

Think Min has a secret boyfriend. Is looking awful smug in the mornings.

22 Aug

Assassination attempt this morning, escaped. Interrogate assassin in re afternoon schedule, he sez he'll ask around.

Talmanes comes to visit. Has been stabbed, hanged, poisoned, and blown up, but is fine. How does he do it?

Got letter from Faile, asking me to calm Tuon down in re New Manetheren. Such a nice gal, always the peacemaker, her.

Got to make an interim plan to liberate slaves until a hero shows up. Wish he'd hurry, I have carousing to do.

27 Aug

Assassination attempt this morning, escaped. Nobody claims credit. Tuon mad, says "Rude!"

Olver such a bloody potty mouth, why is nobody raising him right? I yelled at him "Sheep swallop and bloody buttered onions, boy, you keep a civil tongue in your flaming bloody head!" Why is everybody laughing?

I've invested in the company that manufactures Snakes & Foxes boards. Now that you can win, got a feeling the game will be more popular.

Tuon worried about "reverse assimilation" corrupting Seanch purity. So ... protocol-obsessed broads wearing prim bonnets getting into constant knife fights? Can't stop laughing until Tuon pours pitcher of water on me. Tells me to be more serious.

Min wants me to meet secret boyfriend. Tell her no, that since losing Rand it's been hard to make new friends. Takes three Gardeners to pry her hands off my neck.

1 September

Assassination attempt this afternoon, escaped. Much obliged to assassin. He agrees to drop off my dry cleaning on way to jail.

Talmanes got mugged last night, burned on a pyre, and fell off a building. Is fine. Just shakin' my head.

Tuon mad because I have not tried to assassinate her. Cried, said I don't respect her. Light, I wish Rand were around. If anybody has good advice on handling women it'd be him.

10 September

Assassination attempt this afternoon, escaped. This one is good. Ask assassin to train army in hand-to-hand.

Nynaeve comes by, demands I free all the slaves. I tell her I won't and that's final. She sez "Thank you Mat, thank you" hugs me and cries all over my best shirt. The heck? Does the woman not listen?

Tuon beats me at Jenga again. drat lack of depth perception. Tell her will start calling her "Tanya" if she doesn't give up on this Knoti business.

Aludra invents barbed wire and mustard gas. I ask her if she wants to maybe take some time off, see a Wisdom for some therapy. Takes three Gardeners to pry her hands off my neck.

Tuon tells me this traveling menagerie owner named Valan Luca tried to get her to elope with him. She tells him she's married, but Elayne is single...

18 Sept

Assassination attempt this afternoon, escaped. Another good one. Tuon proud, sez I'm being taken seriously.

Min has another vision about Aludra. Says she's boring. Tell Min that no, Aludra is kind of scary actually.

Talmanes trampled by horses and buried head-down under pile of rocks. Is fine.

Olver asks what's the deal with pick-up lines. Don't want the lad getting into trouble, so tell him the best ones, now he'll know what not to say to women. Light knows what trouble the boy would get into without me.

Tuon mad over Andor civil war; sez it's her job to destroy Westlands. Tell her she's an aristocrat, isn't she used to other people doing her work? Takes three Gardeners to pry her hands off my neck. Now Tuon mad at me instead of Westlanders. Hope Perrin's advice about "make-up canoodling" is on point.

20 Sept

Assassination attempt this afternoon, escaped. Ask him if he'd not rather assassinate enemies instead of allies. Seems surprised, intrigued.

Talmanes gets fired out of a dragon, lands in pool of lava. Is fine. At this point he's just showing off.

Tuon still won't listen to me about damane. Sez if they're not slaves they won't work. I point out how at every other job they work hard and get paid. She goes off on rant, "They're slaves, slaves, slaves! It's tradition! Gotta be slaves!"

By the by, Perrin was right!

30 Sept

No assassination attempts in palace today. The whole Assassin's Guild has moved to W. Seanchan to "work on" rebels. Tuon mad, sez it's gauche.

Olver comes to me asking about "protection". I tell him all the tricks and approximate failure rates, so he'll understand that blessed chastity is the simplest and best option. Maybe should have said that last part explicitly? Olver not good at reading between lines.

Talmanes carried in on stretcher. Sez he visited Aludra's weapons lab. He'll be fine.

Me, Min and Beslan have come up with plan!

Tuon finally admits that nobody can pronounce Knoti, agrees to call me Mat again.

15 Oct

No assassination attempts for past two weeks. Rebel factions send emissaries begging for forgiveness, but Tuon still grouchy.

Bez and I forge imperial decree saying that all damane are now slaves to themselves, and as slave-owners can rent their time out in exchange for cash. Tuon livid, but revoking decree seen as too embarrassing.

Aludra sez she may have found a new source of power, if she just drills for it or something. I tell her nah, can't you just invent socket bayonet? She sez okay. Dice stop rolling in head, am wondering why.

Galgan comes to me, sez he doesn't know how to show friendship now that assassin's guild is gone. Me, Talmanes and Bez take him slumming, great time is had. We bring Olver too, so he doesn't accidentally wander into some seedy dive.

30 Oct

No assassination attempts anywhere in Empire. Tuon frets about what will happen now that average lifespans are nudging above 30.

Talmanes eaten by gholam and balefired. Is fine. Does admit that last one "stung a little"

Tuon sweet and affectionate, forgives me for freeing damane, laffs and sez "I'm just glad you didn't free all the other slaves!" I blink. There's more?

Min begs me to meet her secret boyfriend. I agree just to shut her up, will meet her scrub tomorrow. Hope he's not a woolhead.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Is there any canonical reason why Far Madding is more uptight than any other Randland city? They got more protection than any other with their fake stedding ter’angreal yet they still got a million guards everywhere and are so suspicious of outsiders :psyduck:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

Is there any canonical reason why Far Madding is more uptight than any other Randland city? They got more protection than any other with their fake stedding ter’angreal yet they still got a million guards everywhere and are so suspicious of outsiders :psyduck:

The ter'angreal remove the threat of violence from channelers, so they probably figured, why not remove the threat of violence from anyone at all if possible? I don't think that's spelled out, though.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Hexel posted:

Another VFX company released a breakdown of their work on the Wheel of Time. It turns out the weaves of the one power in the show were originally supposed to be colored based on their element but somebody made a deliberate artistic decision to just have them all white :ohdear:

And the latest word on the street is don't expect S2 until Q2 2023.

https://www.cinesite.com/the-wheel-of-time-2/

I KNEW IT. It was one of the most jarring graphical elements for me. Of *course* the streams have to have different colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wonder if they'll change that as characters learn more about channeling