Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Peacemaker is really really good. Skip intro? I think not HBO Max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

It seemed that Kimi got some decent praise in this thread, but I found it really boring. Didn't realise it was a Steven Soderbergh film until the credits -- it was just not elevated at all for me (well maybe the camerawork when she eventually leaves her apartment). Maybe it was because I have a real bugbear around characters making dumb decisions constantly. I was at least hoping for a decent twist. At least it was short.

Agreed. The whole scene in the office with the hit men coming for her in a half full office in the middle of the day was just so stupid. On everybody's part. What hit team does that when the leader of that team easily gets into her apartment.

I don't work in tech, so I really don't know, but I can't imagine some random compliance person like the one Zoe Kravitz played could just get an appointment with what I assume is the equivalent of Sheryl Sandberg of Facebook, in a day no less.

The action was weak, and she is both traumatized by a recording of a woman getting murdered and scared by a bottle breaking but is completely non-chalant about killing three people and a dude bleeding out on her couch?

Really, just not a good movie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Field Mousepad posted:

Peacemaker is really really good. Skip intro? I think not HBO Max

I love how, on The Morning Show on Apple TV, if you Skip Intro.... it takes you to a place where there's still like 15 seconds left.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Peacemaker really owns. Charming cast and John Cena also owned.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr. Toodles posted:

The action was weak, and she is both traumatized by a recording of a woman getting murdered and scared by a bottle breaking but is completely non-chalant about killing three people and a dude bleeding out on her couch?

Really, just not a good movie.

About Kimi:

For what it's worth, that was kind of the whole point: The reason why she's so agoraphobic is because she'd been assaulted herself in the past. She's constantly terrified about that sort of thing happening again. Which is also why listening to the other assault was so triggering to her. In the end, when she's able to turn things around on her attackers, it's her overcoming that past trauma. Also, I'd argue she's less nonchalant, and more in sort of a fugue state.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Peacemaker rules, Kimi rules, and the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre rules

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Oh awesome, had no idea there was a new Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Peacemaker is great, but I think I'm the only person on the planet who hates the intro.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Super casual indie flick Titane is on Hulu and Prime. Excited to show my unsuspecting fiancé this weekend hahahahahah

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

thatfuturekid posted:

Super casual indie flick Titane is on Hulu and Prime. Excited to show my unsuspecting fiancé this weekend hahahahahah

A friend told me about it. I had one question for him: Do you get to see the car baby? He said no.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

A friend told me about it. I had one question for him: Do you get to see the car baby? He said no.

Your friend deceived you.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://twitter.com/JakeyimDb/status/1494439065889955840?t=lHpo8WAF1VcM-6cgU91b7g&s=19

He's right and he should say it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Negative, bucko. Incorrect, try again. All of those shows would have reached their true potential if released binge style.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The King's Man is genuinely such a loving evil movie. It's like the movie inside of Inglorious Basterds (but actually worse tbh) except the genocidal Brits get to make those irl because they wrote the histories.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No one is talking about Ozark because that show isn't very good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Then again love is blind is terrible and isn't weekly and everyone is talking about that lol. I guess that guy's tweet is just nonsense.

Also I haven't really seen that many people talking about succession or euphoria. Quite a bit of peacemaker but that's because I post on a nerd forum.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Cuphead reviews are intriguing. It’s 55% on Rottentomatoes. However, the split is interesting because half of the reviewers give the show like a 9/10 while the other half dislike it.

People are talking about Euphoria and Peacemaker?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

punk rebel ecks posted:

People are talking about Euphoria and Peacemaker?

People are absolutely talking about Euphoria and Peacemaker. Euphoria is huge amongst the youngs (and the dirty olds who are watching along), and I think Peacemaker may be the biggest word of mouth hit of the short year.

From a "buzz" perspective, I think week to week allows each week's big meme moment to get huge and burned out, so you have an ever refreshing pool of new content. Irrelevant if you're not following along with social media, recaps, etc., but just watching a show is only like 20% of what studios are looking for from you anymore.

It's like a book club that discusses each chapter vs a book club that discusses the whole book -- all the peaks are gonna get hit either way, but going week to week let's you dwell on the great small parts of each chapter that might get swept away as the larger story arc presents itself.

e: Succession is actually a great example, because the reach of the discussion and memes has absolutely dwarfed the actual viewership. Peacemaker, at least, is a legitimate hit -- it could be arguable whether it would have done AS well in a binge, but it was going to be big regardless. I definitely think there would have been fewer people watching the intro every episode.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 18, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

People are absolutely talking about Euphoria and Peacemaker. Euphoria is huge amongst the youngs (and the dirty olds who are watching along), and I think Peacemaker may be the biggest word of mouth hit of the short year.

From a "buzz" perspective, I think week to week allows each week's big meme moment to get huge and burned out, so you have an ever refreshing pool of new content. Irrelevant if you're not following along with social media, recaps, etc., but just watching a show is only like 20% of what studios are looking for from you anymore.

It's like a book club that discusses each chapter vs a book club that discusses the whole book -- all the peaks are gonna get hit either way, but going week to week let's you dwell on the great small parts of each chapter that might get swept away as the larger story arc presents itself.

This is all very weird to me.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

punk rebel ecks posted:

And it's all pretty spot on to me.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Sounds pretty normal to me. I'm a somewhat old person though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

why? we've seen this in pretty much every form of media

Guns n Roses and other bands tried releasing more than one album at the same time, and it always failed because it meant that all the songs got talked about at once and then forgotten, whereas bands that release an album every year were constantly on people's minds

there's examples in film and books too

releasing everything at once is best for consumers, but a scheduled release is so much better for marketing and buzz in general

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve never watched an episode but my Twitter feed talks about Euphoria constantly

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

precision posted:

releasing everything at once is good for consumers, but a scheduled release is so much better for marketing and buzz in general

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Some TV shows are popular and people talk about them as new episodes come out. What a strange new world we live in.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

No one is talking about Ozark because that show isn't very good.

This is correct and it’s made worse by the fact this latest ozark drop was a half season, but I’ve seen the langmore scream memed a bunch of times so it’s not totally memory holed.

Also we already knew week to week is better from a marketing perspective. That was never the point.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

precision posted:

releasing everything at once is best for consumers, but a scheduled release is so much better for marketing and buzz in general

I would even push back against this a little, since "buzz" is just another word for fan engagement. As a music example, Beach House just released their latest album as a series of four four song "chapters," and I think the time for fans to engage with each other over discrete manageable portions was a plus for both sides.

It largely depends on if you want to engage with the material as a text in itself, or if you enjoy the community of speculation. I don't know that a show like Lost or Breaking Bad would've had the experience it had if it came out in a streaming world, but I also imagine that a show like Happy Endings or Community would have found an audience faster (or at all) if it were released as a binge. This is not to say that Lost or Breaking Bad aren't amazing shows to binge, but the overall experience is different.

E: I also think that a show can be made for binging. I've been watching Frayed on HBO... the show is very funny and enjoyable, but the episodes feel dense in a way that actually makes it difficult for me to just run through from episode to episode. It's definitely not a "six hour movie" if that makes sense.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 18, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pretty much all of the most watched TV shows on streaming are Netflix exclusive.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Field Mousepad posted:

Sounds pretty normal to me. I'm a somewhat old person though

It does ring true, one of the best parts of the old weekly Lost threads were the piles of giffed moments posted right before the thread closed and the new one opened.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The times this forum looks most in a bubble they can't/won't/refuse to pop out of is when they forget Twitter's a thing or whatever and that because they're not posting in a thread about it or engaging with it, it can't exist

Scheduled releases are still a thing and good and popular, physical media still exists and is still good and popular, and people do actually regularly listen to whoever is the halftime act at the Super Bowl (despite somehow every time at least 5 posters in that thread going "who is this" unironically). It doesn't at all have to negate or lessen your interest in streaming to acknowledge these facts (or at least not be shocked at them being facts)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My main thought about Peacemaker is we seem to be due for a cultural re-evaluation of hair metal and its place in music history. Much like the slow rehabilitation of disco.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Maxwell Lord posted:

My main thought about Peacemaker is we seem to be due for a cultural re-evaluation of hair metal and its place in music history. Much like the slow rehabilitation of disco.

It had it's time, let it stay retired I say.

The King's Man was just kinda meh. Pretty run of the mill spy/action stuff, I love the franchise but this is probably the weakest one so far.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

The times this forum looks most in a bubble they can't/won't/refuse to pop out of is when they forget Twitter's a thing or whatever and that because they're not posting in a thread about it or engaging with it, it can't exist

Scheduled releases are still a thing and good and popular, physical media still exists and is still good and popular, and people do actually regularly listen to whoever is the halftime act at the Super Bowl (despite somehow every time at least 5 posters in that thread going "who is this" unironically). It doesn't at all have to negate or lessen your interest in streaming to acknowledge these facts (or at least not be shocked at them being facts)

It's just as easy to form those same bubbles IRL and through social media. I only know about Peacemaker through this thread. I'll probably watch it now that it's all out.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

It's almost like a week by week roll out allows buzz to build over time.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Field Mousepad posted:

It had it's time, let it stay retired I say.

The King's Man was just kinda meh. Pretty run of the mill spy/action stuff, I love the franchise but this is probably the weakest one so far.

I liked The King's Man well enough but it had a very different tone compared to the earlier ones

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just thought The King's Man was thoroughly loving evil British propaganda with poisonous ideology popular among Weird Lonely White Guys in Military Jackets Who Think War History is the Only Type of History...and their dads. Between the RIGHT HAND AND LEFT HAND OF EVIL, HITLER AND LENIN and the EVERYONE WHO ISNT BRITISH IS IN A SECRET LEAGUE TO DESTROY THE BRITISH EMPIRE A RIGHTEOUS FORCE FOR GOOD.
Oh dear these concentration camps are a tad unseemly though, i must say! :monocle:

Applying MCU vibes to real historical figures is some dangerous fuckin poo poo esp in the hands of the weird reactionaries who make and write these movies. I get that the previous ones were pretty reactionary too but there's just something esp poisonous about making world war Kingsman flicks.

It's like some "what movies would the Nazis have made if they'd won the war", by the Nazis who did win.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dunno if I'd call the action film itself in a vacuum bad, it's just one of the most evil repugnant films ever made in terms of the worldview it presents and represents and the fact that it skirts under some people's radar with that poo poo just goes to show how bad imperial indoctrination and rewriting of history is.
James Bond was never this bad. Hell, sometimes he teamed up with the Commies!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

Then again love is blind is terrible and isn't weekly and everyone is talking about that lol. I guess that guy's tweet is just nonsense.

Also I haven't really seen that many people talking about succession or euphoria. Quite a bit of peacemaker but that's because I post on a nerd forum.

Love is Blind is weekly or staggered somehow, not all of the episodes are up yet. I would guess 2-3/week since it's done by the end of Feb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

It's almost like a week by week roll out allows buzz to build over time.

I mean it's not like the same doesn't happen with binge. Just look at "All of Us Dead".