Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

There's a few handicaps that help too, there is an engraving where its like "once every 15m if you would die instead you heal X amount and live" which is helping me a fuckton.

I thought about going for that engraving on my Wardancer. I don't have an issue yet but I thought it might come in handy for the more difficult bosses. Wardancer has to be right on the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I hit 50 last night and I’m in the main city of the third continent and nothing seemingly changed or opened up, so do I just keep doing the MSQ? How much more of that is there before unlocking endgame activities?

As soon as I hit 50 i peaced out of Arthetine and went straight to Vern

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I may be crazy but do we get extra runs or dailies on weekends? Don't know where I heard it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kill All Cops posted:

As soon as I hit 50 i peaced out of Arthetine and went straight to Vern

You can do that? Are there a bunch of purple quest givers standing around to unlock Chais dungeons and whatnot?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

You can do that? Are there a bunch of purple quest givers standing around to unlock Chais dungeons and whatnot?

Yeah, though you will have to play a little into Vern's storyline to get most of them. You won't necessarily be able to do them straight away though, as the lowest of the chaos dungeons and guardian beasts needs an ilvl of 250 to start. But yes, I as well beelined for Vern as soon as I hit 50 and unlocked stuff.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I fought the guardian bear a couple times yesterday when I first hit those fights and it generally went super smoothly, so today I jammed more rocks into my gear and tried literally the second guardian fight, the white lion guy. Well our group failed with him at like 6% HP according to the game, with me as the last one alive (though I did die once when I got stuck in a corner with my dodge on CD). If it's already this bad I can only imagine what actual difficult content is going to be like with pubs lol. Still fun though, I kept trying and failing to get counters off even though I'm a Deathblade because no one else in my group seemed to be even trying to. Do you need to be directly facing the enemy when they're blue to counter them or does hitting them at all with a counter skill while they're blue work?

You need to be directly facing them to counter, yeah.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Did my first cube run just now and everyone except me died to a survival wave in the second-to-last room. :getin:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finished the Street fighter quest line and it was hella fun. I actually enjoyed the whole area and it’s themes. It didn’t quite get me to 50 though which is a shame.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Kill All Cops posted:

all these guides saying to finish shushire for your 302 set when you should just do chaos dungeons as soon as possible in vern because it shits out so much gear at you

Sometimes chaos dungeons will stubbornly insist on not giving you the last piece you need though. You only get equipment during your first two runs per day with every subsequent run only giving the exchange shards and some jewelry

It took me three days to get the dang t2 shoulder pads even though I had every other t2 piece up to like +9

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I fought the guardian bear a couple times yesterday when I first hit those fights and it generally went super smoothly, so today I jammed more rocks into my gear and tried literally the second guardian fight, the white lion guy. Well our group failed with him at like 6% HP according to the game, with me as the last one alive (though I did die once when I got stuck in a corner with my dodge on CD). If it's already this bad I can only imagine what actual difficult content is going to be like with pubs lol. Still fun though, I kept trying and failing to get counters off even though I'm a Deathblade because no one else in my group seemed to be even trying to. Do you need to be directly facing the enemy when they're blue to counter them or does hitting them at all with a counter skill while they're blue work?

Haha I think I was literally in that raid with you, I also failed that raid yesterday with the boss super low and a deathblade in group. I ran it back and completed it fairly easily (good bard rng the second time). I think I saw something about needing it hit them in the face with the counter skill?

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Any reason for not using my green class engravings from my treasure chest things? At this point, as long as you know your preferred class and build, you might as well use them for it, yeah?

Still have to wonder how other people farm those things, I just happen to have them at this point.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

kliras posted:

Any reason for not using my green class engravings from my treasure chest things? At this point, as long as you know your preferred class and build, you might as well use them for it, yeah?

Still have to wonder how other people farm those things, I just happen to have them at this point.

Yes, if you know what you want there is no reason not to. It's a nice upgrade to your leveling experience. I need to check but I think I have close to 20 more class green books just leveling through Vern? Plus a bunch of generic ones.

I chose esoteric for my Wardancer but I'm thinking First Intention would have been better :( I just don't want to give up my tornado.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

kliras posted:

Yup, afaik the only reason would be saving them for an alt.

Anyone know where you get more blue engraving books? Do they eventually drop from dungeons/raids or do I have to figure out these drat islands? I went to one with an event yesterday but apparently I needed some item that you buy with pirate coins or something. This game does such a poo poo job at explaining things (or I missed it because I’m so used to spamming G).

Also, how do you get your second awakening on boosted characters? Seems like I don’t have an active main story quest.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Anyone that has played a Bard and DPS at 50 that can compare how the Bard does in solo stuff like Chaos Dungeons? Debating whether I want to use my second boost on Bard.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Raged posted:

I may be crazy but do we get extra runs or dailies on weekends? Don't know where I heard it.

Weekends get a second Adventure Island, which are the special greyed out islands that can only be entered once per day during a specific window.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Do you need to be directly facing the enemy when they're blue to counter them or does hitting them at all with a counter skill while they're blue work?

You need to specifically hit the "head" positional for counter to work. As a Deathblade lots of your skills have back-attack modifiers, so you will typically glue yourself to the boss's butt for optimal damage and won't be in position to counter. Some bosses do turn towards a random player before using a counterable move, so stay on your toes and be ready to counter if that happens. Most counters will be from head-attack classes like Gunlancer or positioning-independent classes like Paladin.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Fried Sushi posted:

Anyone that has played a Bard and DPS at 50 that can compare how the Bard does in solo stuff like Chaos Dungeons? Debating whether I want to use my second boost on Bard.

Its fine but also you don't have to solo chaos dungeons

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Weekends get a second Adventure Island, which are the special greyed out islands that can only be entered once per day during a specific window.

You need to specifically hit the "head" positional for counter to work. As a Deathblade lots of your skills have back-attack modifiers, so you will typically glue yourself to the boss's butt for optimal damage and won't be in position to counter. Some bosses do turn towards a random player before using a counterable move, so stay on your toes and be ready to counter if that happens. Most counters will be from head-attack classes like Gunlancer or positioning-independent classes like Paladin.

Yeah I know I spend most of my time hugging the butt and stabbing it a bunch but I had a random free slot and I figured having one button for counters should be handy. It kinda sucks that I eventually concluded through my own experience the truth that most Deathblade skills are pretty poo poo so I ended up in basically a fully meta build except for one skill. Now that I finally understand how Remaining Energy works it's a lot more fun to play though, makes up for a lot of the skills being pretty bad. My only real issue with Deathblade is drat its got some long loving cooldowns, it's real easy to end up with 10+ seconds of basic attacks only.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Big apologies but I looked through the thread, reddit, YouTube etc and I'm just not "getting" the leveling process in regards to powerpass.

1) Are yellow quests roster wide, one and done? If not then by skipping these with powerpass don't you lose out on a ton of engraving books, stones, potions etc?

2) are cards roster wide? It seems some cards from quests are required to be accepted into groups. Figuring out what is roster wide is a huge pain.

3) if powerpass doesn't affect these then how hard is it to switch a main?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Cicadalek posted:

If that's the case she is doing a hell of a job on makeup

Neriana Grande

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Fried Sushi posted:

Chaos dungeons are a joke. Just follow a build online, but you should have ample time do clear the mobs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is it worth doing dailies with no rest bonus?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fenarisk posted:

Big apologies but I looked through the thread, reddit, YouTube etc and I'm just not "getting" the leveling process in regards to powerpass.

1) Are yellow quests roster wide, one and done? If not then by skipping these with powerpass don't you lose out on a ton of engraving books, stones, potions etc?

2) are cards roster wide? It seems some cards from quests are required to be accepted into groups. Figuring out what is roster wide is a huge pain.

3) if powerpass doesn't affect these then how hard is it to switch a main?

1.)
Most yellow quests early on are character specific, until you get to islands. The roster wide ones will specifically say "roster quest" in orange text above the objective in your quest log.
You do in fact miss out on a bunch of leveling loot by powerpassing, most importantly the set of 20 class engraving selector chests. But all of these can be farmed later from stuff like raids or una tasks. Abyss raids also give you a fat pile of accessories that are guaranteed to have your class engravings on them, so you can use a nice cross-class engraving from books and get your class engraving from jewelry pretty easily.
2.)
Yes, cards are and non-class engravings are roster wide. Also adventure tome progress, collected skill point potions, and loads more stuff.
3.)
It is pretty easy to switch mains right at the beginning of a tier. The main non-transferable thing is gear honing, so right at ilvl 240-302 or 600-802 when you're wearing un-honed or barely-honed gear is a good opportunity to swap.
When you hit Tier 2 content on your main you'll unlock a stronghold research that makes Tier 1 honing faster/cheaper so alts can easily catch up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

explosivo posted:

Only if you need some honing materials or green engravings. Check the chaos dungeon vendor to see what she sells and if you need them.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

According to this guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lostarkgame/comments/su1694/how_to_farm_engraving_books_for_your_characters/

The engraving book rewards aren't one time only?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

explosivo posted:

with no rest bonus or with no Aura of Resonance/Guardian Soul harvest? because the latter, no, unless you're specifically chasing perception shards, but the former, yeah. Rested bonus takes two days to generate double rewards, so it allows you to run once every three days and get 66% of the rewards you'd get for running daily.

rested is to avoid burning out

Ya that's what's being discussed. There's a pile of engravings that are yellow quests, which are character-bound rather than roster-bound, but if you Power Pass you skip them.

admanb fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 18, 2022

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Aww drat I didn't do any research before picking classes and I found out that Reaper is the class I actually wanted to play in terms of playstyle/aesthetics, which isn't out in NA yet. And my dumb rear end will feel bad having two characters with the same "base" so I'll end up never playing it even when it does come out. Deathblade ends up using the big sword so much more than the dual blades it makes me very sad.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

Aww drat I didn't do any research before picking classes and I found out that Reaper is the class I actually wanted to play in terms of playstyle/aesthetics, which isn't out in NA yet. And my dumb rear end will feel bad having two characters with the same "base" so I'll end up never playing it even when it does come out. Deathblade ends up using the big sword so much more than the dual blades it makes me very sad.

I think by the time new classes come out it'll be pretty trivial to have more maxed characters than there are "bases".

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
There's streamers and youtubers who run the exact same class on alts, just play what you want

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

admanb posted:

I think by the time new classes come out it'll be pretty trivial to have more maxed characters than there are "bases".

Oh, I thought you were limited to six slots per server because that's what shows up on the main menu. Is that not the case? If so I'm a lot less worried about it.

Tortolia posted:

There's streamers and youtubers who run the exact same class on alts, just play what you want

Man, I know I could do that, but personal brain problems require me to have as many distinct characters as possible, if I am to make an alt. It doesn't matter that each advanced class plays radically different, until I have at least one character of each model setup I won't feel comfortable making another.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh, I thought you were limited to six slots per server because that's what shows up on the main menu. Is that not the case? If so I'm a lot less worried about it.

The cash shop has the solution for you!

(yeah, you can buy additional character slots. I think the actual limit is 18 per server)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There's little reason to have more than 6 alts though. A lot of stuff like abyss raids is capped at 6 character rewards per week. Alts can farm honing stones for your main but you're still gated by the character-bound shards as well so at a certain point extra stones won't make any difference.

I suppose you could use your army of 18 toons to speedrun all the "locked behind completing 10-30 specific una tasks" quests and giant hearts and island tokens and poo poo.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I suppose you could use your army of 18 toons to speedrun all the "locked behind completing 10-30 specific una tasks" quests and giant hearts and island tokens and poo poo.

I think technically you can't though, because the 'reputation' can only be gained once per day per roster. You can rerun the quests on alts and you'll get rewards but you won't get more rep.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There's a hell of a lot more than just 3 of them though. So you could make progress towards multiple in parallel instead of having to do them one after the other.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

1.)
Most yellow quests early on are character specific, until you get to islands. The roster wide ones will specifically say "roster quest" in orange text above the objective in your quest log.
You do in fact miss out on a bunch of leveling loot by powerpassing, most importantly the set of 20 class engraving selector chests. But all of these can be farmed later from stuff like raids or una tasks. Abyss raids also give you a fat pile of accessories that are guaranteed to have your class engravings on them, so you can use a nice cross-class engraving from books and get your class engraving from jewelry pretty easily.
2.)
Yes, cards are and non-class engravings are roster wide. Also adventure tome progress, collected skill point potions, and loads more stuff.
3.)
It is pretty easy to switch mains right at the beginning of a tier. The main non-transferable thing is gear honing, so right at ilvl 240-302 or 600-802 when you're wearing un-honed or barely-honed gear is a good opportunity to swap.
When you hit Tier 2 content on your main you'll unlock a stronghold research that makes Tier 1 honing faster/cheaper so alts can easily catch up.

Thank you this is super helpful!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean, the main reason to have a lot of alts would be... That you want to play a bunch of different classes because you want to both hit things with a bow AND a gatling gun? Not everything is about minmax speedrunning content.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

yeah I was responding to someone with a specific concern, not giving general advice about how many characters you should run

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alts all share work energy btw, the number one thing I wanted out of my alts.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm feeling pretty good with three right now (scrapper, gunlancer, bard) but I also haven't been able to play too much. I can see myself being ready for a fourth around the same time as new classes start trickling in and will probably just boost up a scouter or whatever.

On that note is there a preferred way of funnelling resources? I'm assuming this just means tossing all your tradeable blue/red/green crystals to your main, and keeping the alts at the abyss dungeon ilvl baseline until you jump tiers?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I just researched the Masterwork food recipes in my stronghold and crafted one of them. Is there a duration on the buff it gives you? I can't seem to see it in the description and want to know if it's something you pop for a dungeon or something you just pop while grinding for a play session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Any opinions on Scrapper versus Wardancer? I had my sights on Scrapper because I love the look and the utility of stagger will eventually play dividends, but I'm in training now messing around and Wardancer feels great, the mobility is a real breath of fresh air after leveling Bard.