Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't think it's cynicism. Doc is, and that's coded as a character flaw. I think VB is quite optimistic. People grow in incredibly positive and weirdly down-to-earth ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Servaetes posted:

I dunno man, this Harley Quinn show seems like it's trying entirely too hard to be funny

Guy A. Person posted:

Humor is closer to something like Deadpool tho.

:hmmyes:

It's not a bad show by any means, but I think it only superficially resembles VB. Deadpool is more accurate. Hell, The Tick being common DNA even feels more accurate. But ultimately it feels most influenced by Batman: The Animated Series to me, which in addition to being the origin of Harley also had very broad, comedic episodes. That followed by the BTAS comics which expanded on that humorous tone and really played up the Harley and Ivy stuff, not to mention how it got into more explicit territory with their relationship. Those comics + swears basically feel like the HQ show in my book.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe the biggest surprise of my adult tv-viewing life is discovering how extremely horny Bruce Timm is and wondering how almost none of that ended up in the Batman cartoon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Maybe the biggest surprise of my adult tv-viewing life is discovering how extremely horny Bruce Timm is and wondering how almost none of that ended up in the Batman cartoon.

Sounds like you ain't watched the cartoon in a minute

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Remember in the big book both men agree animators are the horniest people on the planet and if you look into the history of the man behind Goofy of all characters yeah.

'No we wanted comedy nudity! not anatomy to scale guys!'

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Pick a couple of episodes of Justice League Unlimited at random and you’ll see this was not well hidden

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'm not sure how much that is the animators/showrunners (it is some of that, obvs, what with the Bruce Timm and Zatanna thing) and how much it's to do with Cape comics just having sexual undertones that come with healthy/toned/muscley people in tight clothing.

Huntress tries to phonesex The Question, there's most likely a number of other bits, but, yeah.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm just happy it seems like he was Good Horny.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I mean, the very first thing that the Flash does in JL is say that he's the fastest man alive, where he is then rebuffed by Hawkgirl with some version of "I bet that makes you popular with the ladies."

Less than an hour into the series!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
see also the line in JLU: "I heard she's, y'know...

Brazilian."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help that BTAS has probably the sexiest Batman.

That's what all the best cartoons are, yes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Harley Quinn Bane would fit directly into Venture Brothers with no changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlLpHPqrK3o

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I think its mentioned in the books and on a commentary track that whenever Doc would draw Trianna he had to be actively telling himself to not make her sexy since that's what he defaulted to. I'm pretty sure he has mentioned off hand that when he isn't working on the Venture Brothers he gets paid to draw sexy women.

Whether he defaulted to drawing women sexy because that's just what he naturally draws or because he got paid to do it for so long feels like a chicken or egg which came first argument.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

quote:

Artists are deviant fucks who may masturbate too much

Said by doc hammer at some point.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

a lot of artists really like to draw horny rear end pictures of sexy women and i don't begrudge them the slightest for it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Said by doc hammer at some point.

"We masturbate enough."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

look at these tits, you could bounce a penis off of them

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I assume they talk about masturbation constantly since everytime a dvd comes out at least 1 episode's commentary track will be just masturbation talk. It truly is impressive how little they talk about the show during those things.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
go look up Doc's paintings. it's all hot ladies looking sort of grumpy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

limp_cheese posted:

I assume they talk about masturbation constantly since everytime a dvd comes out at least 1 episode's commentary track will be just masturbation talk. It truly is impressive how little they talk about the show during those things.

I love them for that, you get like 1-2 small details about the show and a bunch of how hosed up the real life version of that one joke was.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The commentaries are basically Doc and Jackson doing a podcast.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pope Guilty posted:

The commentaries are basically Doc and Jackson doing a podcast.

Is there a way to get the commentary without buying a DVD player? Like, is it available via streaming at all, or is it DVD-only? That's pretty much the only thing missing from my VB experience at this point.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kesper North posted:

Is there a way to get the commentary without buying a DVD player? Like, is it available via streaming at all, or is it DVD-only? That's pretty much the only thing missing from my VB experience at this point.

:filez: You should be able to find rips that include it as a language track.

It's silly that buying them digitally on Amazon or iTunes doesn't give you the commentary.

I'm sure it's some legal issue over who owned them

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 19, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Commentaries are a holdover from the days when distributors assumed nobody would shell out the money for another copy of something they already own on VHS unless they give them new content.

They shouldn't loving be, but that's where we're at. Every streaming service could include them on every piece of content if they wanted, but they don't.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

limp_cheese posted:

I think its mentioned in the books and on a commentary track that whenever Doc would draw Trianna he had to be actively telling himself to not make her sexy since that's what he defaulted to. I'm pretty sure he has mentioned off hand that when he isn't working on the Venture Brothers he gets paid to draw sexy women.

Whether he defaulted to drawing women sexy because that's just what he naturally draws or because he got paid to do it for so long feels like a chicken or egg which came first argument.

He also mentions in the book that he hosed up when designing Kim by accidentally making her too hot; a mistake that has haunted them throughout countless convention appearances for decades now

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

pablo gbscobar posted:

He also mentions in the book that he hosed up when designing Kim by accidentally making her too hot; a mistake that has haunted them throughout countless convention appearances for decades now

The problem wasn't her being too hot, it's how few hot women the show had at all, this led to fans hyper fixating on Kim, especially due to what seemed like a plot tease in her last major appearance in Season 2

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just really liked her style and the GIGANTIC TEASE that she'd be a supervillain.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I'm just happy it seems like he was Good Horny.

The rarely-used fourth D&D alignment row, Lawful Horny.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sash! posted:

I just really liked her style and the GIGANTIC TEASE that she'd be a supervillain.

Exactly, she wasn't a deep character but she was a fun one for the role due played

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Normalcy colliding with the batshit supervillain world is some of the best jokes of Venture Bros at times. Is kinda funny how we see nearly all these characters as the massive losers, weirdos and burnouts that they are, but also from the outside they do look cool and badass a lot of the time.

Also I think there's a running gag that whenever nerds get involved in super-science/supervillainy stuff they always go straight off the deep end right away, even before 21 spelled it out in the Halloween special.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I always forget about it as I don't tend to rewatch that episode much but the whole subplot in Perchance to Dean with the sheriff and the delivery guy teaming up to investigate the Venture compound and becoming convinced that Doc is running some kind of cult there is great stuff; Made even better due to the fact at that point in the timeline there actually HAD been a secret cult lurking in the compound the whole time until recently due to all the MUTHER shenanigans going on.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I was watching For All Mankind and I heard a familiar voice. There was the good James Urbianak playing a dickhead FBI agent.

Glad to see he is getting gigs even though they are only minor parts.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

His Law & Order Criminal Intent character has a lot of Rusty energy.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I just got a cameo by James Urbaniak for my friend's birthday! He mentioned at the end that the special should be out about a year from now. The cameo was also amazing and incredibly worth the $35. I'll share the link after I surprise them with it later!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

I just got a cameo by James Urbaniak for my friend's birthday! He mentioned at the end that the special should be out about a year from now. The cameo was also amazing and incredibly worth the $35. I'll share the link after I surprise them with it later!

I did the same for my friend about 6 months ago. I’d post it, but don’t want to doxx my friend since he says his full name :lol:. That James Urbaniak is a good egg.

Also, I know it’s not VB related, but I discovered Smiling Friends last night and I was hooked in minutes.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
https://twitter.com/Havocquarm/status/1496987174499241984?t=VnaFxGjso-CM4TjGFyw6jA&s=19

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Fantastic

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I love this to a factor of a specific large number, say about 4 digits

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh this is just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I saw this and got excited for a second. Then I looked closer, read the words, and was disappointed.

Tell me that's not a slightly older Hank.