Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! So it’s less about overall army composition and more about proximity

Yep! You'll see the Yin/Yang symbol above the company's banner change depending on if they're in harmony or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I am enjoying being the demon prince it has so far been a great time. Norscan and demon alliances early on are a must and have made things easier. Couple norsca factions don't like me? Fine, the demons are hungry anyway.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Khorne cult's ability to instantly teleport Skarbrand is silly fun. I had been fighting a hell-war in the Chaos Wastes and Norsca and wanted a bit of a change from beating up marauders and slaanesh. A cult pops up deep in the Empire.

Surprise motherfuckers. Say hello to Skarbrand with 1.3k damage and 120 melee attack.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hargrimm posted:

taking the payout from Slaanesh probably means having to do the extra battles to stop other faction(s) from beating the campaign before you.

Oh, so you can just not bother to keep up and keep owning the ones who do get that far like with Vortex?

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

I love nurglings. That’s all.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Yep! You'll see the Yin/Yang symbol above the company's banner change depending on if they're in harmony or not.

Perfect, thanks! Makes it feel much more manageable and given the wide variety of ranged units I imagine it is easy to keep things in relative harmony by just anchoring the few good melee units with them

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Sinteres posted:

Oh, so you can just not bother to keep up and keep owning the ones who do get that far like with Vortex?

It's a little different, you have to travel to the Forge of Souls and physically intercept the LL army of whoever has all the souls, and it knocks them out for 15 turns instead of permanently. So if you really gently caress up and have multiple other factions all get 4 souls before you, you'd have to go in and knock them all out every single time the portals open, which ties up your own LL army from being able to actually get the souls you still need so it could be a bit of a spiral.

Someone made a video showing it pre-release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acRdhQE47cc

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Interesting, thanks.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I’ve had good luck with kislev by dividing my army into three squads. Streltsi or armored Cossacks in the front, bow units behind. Then four horse archers skirmishing to split the enemy lines up. Engage their line with the middle squad and flank with the other two.

It worked really well against Nurgle- his army was hitting my line in a slow trickle.

Also for minor settlement battles, I’ve been able to avoid bad pathfinding by alt-dragging formations instead of making any attack orders until I have a clear line of sight.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The absolute worst part of the campaign is these stupid traits you get for going into Chaos. They take forever to remove and just keep your Legendary Lord out of action even longer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The snow leopards seem like a cool unit in theory, a fast, anti-large SEM that's not some kind of giant monster, but definitely feels undertuned. Has anyone tried using them in wolfpacks (lol) of three or four?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Beat western cathay. It is probably easier than northern cathay.

Remind me to bring more astromancers for more loot for more fusing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I gotta say, I have no idea how to do the Kislev faction mechanic. Getting devotion seems to take forever, and even when I try to time the Invocations I get like maybe 10 or so supporters out of it. Meanwhile the other factions seems to be getting 2 supporters per turn no problem.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

I gotta say, I have no idea how to do the Kislev faction mechanic. Getting devotion seems to take forever, and even when I try to time the Invocations I get like maybe 10 or so supporters out of it. Meanwhile the other factions seems to be getting 2 supporters per turn no problem.

Capture an oblast and build those churches. Those make supporters I think.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Perestroika posted:

AI opponent probably just cheats. It's not a disaster if Kostaltn or Katarin beats you to 50, most reliable way to generate supporters and devotion is with the religious buildings. Also there's doing hero actions with your faction's favored hero. Playing Katarin, I actually found that the invocation of Ursun + Frost Maidens assaulting enemy units was a pretty effective way to grind down invaders.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Churches give a passive income of supporters per turn, a few other buildings as well so make sure to give the building browser a once over

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Are Skull Cannons supposed to miss every shot until they run out of ammunition, or am I missing something obvious about how they work vs. every other artillery I've ever played that hits what they're shooting at?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Are Skull Cannons supposed to miss every shot until they run out of ammunition, or am I missing something obvious about how they work vs. every other artillery I've ever played that hits what they're shooting at?

They're not really artillery and have terrible accuracy at range. You're supposed to have them provide close fire support and then get into melee to start regenerating their ammo once they quickly blow through it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I haven't used them, but from early streams they're not supposed to be real artillery and get more accurate the closer they are to the target.

e;fb

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 19, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ethiser posted:

The absolute worst part of the campaign is these stupid traits you get for going into Chaos. They take forever to remove and just keep your Legendary Lord out of action even longer.

it took all of four turns for me to rid katerina of two she picked up

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fuligin posted:

it took all of four turns for me to rid katerina of two she picked up

It's random, with increasing chance of happening each turn if the settlement has the anti-Skaven building (that's the protection chain).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Perestroika posted:

in my case i turned eastern oblast into a devotion generator; stuffed every settlement full of hallowed groves and shrines. devotion is slow going at first, but the chaos rifts will deliver weak stacks of demons to farm and get you your seed faith.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also a thing, though probably only useful if you're not on very hard or legendary (I've been playing on hard/hard) if you're Katarin, there's really no reason why you need to fight the Ropsmenn clan (the Kislevites you start at war with) until you've taken everything (though if you can manage to do so quickly and efficiently without overextending don't let up). I peaced out with them, when they had Praag and Volksgrad left. They then lost Volksgrad to the Baersonlings who can get pretty nasty, especially as Ropsmenn clan are threatened by Thrott from Hellpit as well and often seem to garrison an army in Praag to defend against that. I took Volksgrad from the Baersonlings then got Praag when I confederated the Ropsmenn clan.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
On VH/VH, it's not too hard to wipe out the Ropsmenn very quickly with judicious use of ambush stance and a bait boyar(baityar?) following Katarin around to lure them out of their towns to die. Your army is ludicrously good for a starting stack and you're going to be filling it with nothing but low tier cheap archers because that's all that's available so field battles are an auto-win. This also kills two birds with one stone, because you'll absolutely want to be leveling a secondary lord ASAP for when Katarin has to go on her magic carpet ride to hell.

You can take the whole oblast and then reach Praag and knock it over by the mid teens - generally by 14 or 15 is feasible if you get perfect RNG, if the Baersonlings decide to gently caress with you a bunch it'll be a couple turns later. Losing a town or two in the oblast temporarily isn't the end of the world compared to getting your hands on Praag ASAP to get it growing, IMO.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah the Baersonlings can be nasty. They are currently my main nemesis since I just don't have the ability to fight two full fronts yet, especially not when they can send more than two stacks at the same time.

E: and Praag is a great city. Those are some nice landmarks. I'm excited to see what Erengrad offers once I can finally look to confederating them.

E2: by the way, apparently there is a bug with supply lines. Disbanded lords do not decrease the penalty like they should. Moreover, if you hire them again, the penalty is reapplied. So go suicide any spare lords you get from confederation!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 19, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
haha

dwarfs keep sieging my towns as nurgle

plague plague plague

why won't they stay

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I had two skull cannons take N'Kari down 2/3s before she closed at slaanesh marauder speed.
If you build the useless skaven building does it make it a 100% cumulative chance to remove the chaos negative trait?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Small detail enjoyment. Gnoblar scraplauncher throws a random assortment of metal bullshit. They wonderfully captured the idea of a random pile of jagged metal flinging through the air.

As a person who owns the model for this it made me grin like an idiot.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, I'm definitely on the "the story objective is kind of a pain in the rear end" train. Game owns, but I'm hoping IE lands soon.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it's a good game.

love the cutscenes. so happy that the tutorial guy is getting some development.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
switched over to Skrag to get a break from Kislev and try out the broken as poo poo gorgers, but settlement battles and sieges are even more annoying because the game seems to have serious trouble pathing my dummy thicc ogres through these itty bitty streets

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I like that idea of anything below a tier 3 minor settlement just being a field battle. Also feel like the only walled settlement battles should be faction capitols or landmark settlements, with bespoke maps. That would have a better variety of battle types I think.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Skarbrand's vacation in the Empire has become concerning. For the Empire, that is.

Apparently Skrag the Slaughter is really eager to ally with Khorne and now I can recruit ogres for my armies. I guess we take the blood and Skrag gets the meat.

Altdorf will become my new capital. I'm going to rename it to Bloodorf. Or Skulldorf. I haven't decided yet.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Altgoref

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

In both my Kislev campaigns so far I've ended up in twenty-turn hellwars with Skrag's massive empire to the south. Spent like five turns fighting my way through Ogres to try and relieve the endless siege of Altdorf.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The tutorial campaign is awesome. I really wanted to play Cathay but I kind of feel like I want to keep playing as Yuri.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Is there anywhere online with the Demon Prince's outfits? I wish to see what the god-specific ones look like before pledging to the one with the prettiest outfits.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I like that idea of anything below a tier 3 minor settlement just being a field battle. Also feel like the only walled settlement battles should be faction capitols or landmark settlements, with bespoke maps. That would have a better variety of battle types I think.

That's a legit good idea, and also makes sense immersionwise. Hopefully that's a mod when the workshop gets switched on.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Yeah I would play that mod. I’m auto resolving a ton of minor settlement battles because, frankly, it plays out to better results than I can manually achieve. Which is a bit of a disappointment but it does also save me 20 minutes each time sooo, I’m doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Some of the settlements feel an awful lot like mini castles. I don't mind some being like that but I do would like some settlement fights to just be a field outside of town.