Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

It may theoretically be possible to design a test where someone who gets 90 minutes doesn't have a material advantage over someone who gets 60 minutes, but it would not look remotely like a law school exam.

My (extremely low-ranked) school had a lot of take-home exams with strict page limits or word counts and a 1- or 2-day time limit, and a lot of papers. The take-home exams sometimes required basic case citations, sometimes did not, but had either controversial/dramatic open-ended questions (more typical in constitutional law) or overstuffed fact patterns. They realistically could not be fully answered within the strict page/word limits. Collaboration is the main concern with that format, but I still prefer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

homullus posted:

My (extremely low-ranked) school had a lot of take-home exams with strict page limits or word counts and a 1- or 2-day time limit, and a lot of papers. The take-home exams sometimes required basic case citations, sometimes did not, but had either controversial/dramatic open-ended questions (more typical in constitutional law) or overstuffed fact patterns. They realistically could not be fully answered within the strict page/word limits. Collaboration is the main concern with that format, but I still prefer it.

This. So much this. The only exams I felt tested what I'd learned rather than my capacity to either memorize or organize notes well were the 8/24 hour take home exams with word limits.

With the added bonus of those being the least dissimilar to practice. Hooray for evaluating your ability to be a lawyer by setting an exam where you're not allowed to look up the law.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Nothing I did in law school helped prepare me for practicing law and I don’t remember anything I learned in law school.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nothing I did in law school helped prepare me for practicing law and I don’t remember anything I learned in law school.

Same except I remember that one case where the defendant got served with a birthday cake

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Same except I remember that one case where the defendant got served with a birthday cake

I remember spending weeks in class on pennoyer, but not what the case was about. And then I remember teaching myself civ pro during dead week using the Glannon examples & explanations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I remember spending weeks in class on pennoyer, but not what the case was about. And then I remember teaching myself civ pro during dead week using the Glannon examples & explanations.

Weird, I remember Pennoyer quite well because it's an excellent illustration of the first principle of lawyering: The lawyer's gotta get paid, even if it's a skeevy unlicensed lawyer. Neff's lawyer foreclosed on Neff's land while Neff was in California looking for gold and then sold it to Pennoyer, who was the richest man in Oregon. The Supreme Court made Pennoyer give the land back and so he spent his entire first inaugural address (he became the first governor of Oregon) railing at the injustice of those petty judge-tyrants back in DC keeping the honest man down. The whole backstory was a fascinating little vignette into life in the 1840s and 50s.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Law school is helpful for getting to know people. Like, ask a person if they know the holding of International Shoe. If they do, avoid them

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

sullat posted:

Weird, I remember Pennoyer quite well because it's an excellent illustration of the first principle of lawyering: The lawyer's gotta get paid, even if it's a skeevy unlicensed lawyer. Neff's lawyer foreclosed on Neff's land while Neff was in California looking for gold and then sold it to Pennoyer, who was the richest man in Oregon. The Supreme Court made Pennoyer give the land back and so he spent his entire first inaugural address (he became the first governor of Oregon) railing at the injustice of those petty judge-tyrants back in DC keeping the honest man down. The whole backstory was a fascinating little vignette into life in the 1840s and 50s.

Tldr

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

NERD

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
In Erie v Long Island Railroad a dude got his arm ripped off by a train and law students instead just learn the nerd poo poo

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

homullus posted:

I now teach a law school class and this is my test. I take anonymized projects given to real associates throughout the year and put them as test questions in a ten page limit exam with a two week time period to complete. The exam is open notes, open book, open Internet ,open everything except your friends.

You will never have a real life project that looks like a standard law school exam, so why does that format dominate?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I learned a lot of jokes about smokey balls.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I dunno, the stuff I learned in the clinic I did in 3L year still applies even almost a decade after practicing; all that reading of case law and poo poo goes right out the window when the judge expresses "but I want to do this different thing though"

The other clinic moment that stuck with me was a Probate Judge telling me and my clinic partner "you will know when you're really a lawyer when you have to be in two different places at the same time, and you're still expected to handle your poo poo for both"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 18, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I found practicing law to be much more rewarding than law school. I think I really hated law school.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Practicing law is so much harder than law school.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Getting paid and not not having a job helps

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We drank alot in law school. That'll prepare you for something

cirrhosis

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I found practicing law to be much more rewarding than law school. I think I really hated law school.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

For one thing you get paid rather than paying tuition. Big plus, IMO.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Law school, for me, had a lot of ups and downs, but once I learned the ins and outs, I had a blast.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

Law school, for me, had a lot of ups and downs, but once I learned the ins and outs, I had a blast.

:lol:

Law school was ok. Being a lawyer was miserable work for no money.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I enjoyed being around my friends in law school. Law School self-selects its students in a way that my large undergrad college didn't, and I was lucky that I found a good group of supportive but very smart people to spend time with. I also generally enjoy being a lawyer and I'm lucky I got out of my prior field (travel agent) when I did.

That said, law school is a series of exercises in useless nonsense with the occasional opportunity to learn and do things of real value. I LOVED working in the clinic and enjoyed one of my summer jobs. I was also lucky that half of my professors taught their classes with an eye to practical applications and the real world, and those were my best grades.

I guess I "liked" law school but I wouldn't want to do it again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this week i got to watch a biglaw litigator ask question of an expert witness in a trial, and get an 'absolutely not' instead of the 'yes' he was expecting, and the expert was basically quivering with desire to get an explanation out

he did not have any sort of control; he'd gotten handed the question by his client

he got a little flustered and then asked "...why"

he'd have been better off literally making GBS threads himself in front of the judge rather than doing that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

basically when your cross-examination question makes it into the other side's closing, you done hosed up good

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
wait, they'd made it all the way to a biglaw trial and hadn't bothered to practice-round the questions for the expert first?

what were they doing in all the depositions, just eating pricey billed lunches

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

wait, they'd made it all the way to a biglaw trial and hadn't bothered to practice-round the questions for the expert first?

what were they doing in all the depositions, just eating pricey billed lunches

they deposed him plenty, they just decided to free-style because they (incorrectly) thought he had screwed something up in a previous cross answer they didn't like

also their cross was pointless meandering garbage that clearly had a big planed "aha" moment that fell absolutely flat when he spotted where they were going like three questions in and acknowledged the point they were planning on trying to make outright and then explained why he'd done that very clearly. and so they then plodded along the remaining like 47 questions that had no point and had a lot of upraised voices like they were drawing something out.

but i guess after seeing what happened when he freestyled perhaps plodding rotely along on the cross outline was better than trying to reorganize on the fly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So yet another demonstration of "if you're going to trial, someone has hosed up, try to make sure it isn't you" in action

I guess the second order hilarity here is a pricey biglaw attorney asking "why" on cross

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So yet another demonstration of "if you're going to trial, someone has hosed up, try to make sure it isn't you" in action

I guess the second order hilarity here is a pricey biglaw attorney asking "why" on cross

nah going to trial made sense for both sides no matter how the decision comes down, it's more a who has which rights sort of thing that can't meaningfully be settled and is more the setup for future settlement stuff after the leverage each side has is made clearer

and to be clear most of that sides case wasn't that bad, just that one guy who just really stepped on that rake as hard as he could

edit: though coaching the witnesses so hard that that side literally need to ask one of their witness on direct why all their witnesses keeps repeating the same stock phrase (and get a hilariously scripted answer still but at least you get an excuse into the record) was a little bit of an oopsie as well

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 18, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

I recall the ups and downs and ins and outs are what got you in trouble in law school

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

I recall the ups and downs and ins and outs are what got you in trouble in law school

It was the ins and outs that got him in trouble - the ups and downs followed naturally.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I liked some of the people but I can’t say I had a blast with some teachers getting on their soap box crying about how much they are sacrificing to teach students by giving up their big law careers to get paid $150k+ annually + tenure

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

this week i got to watch a biglaw litigator ask question of an expert witness in a trial, and get an 'absolutely not' instead of the 'yes' he was expecting, and the expert was basically quivering with desire to get an explanation out

he did not have any sort of control; he'd gotten handed the question by his client

he got a little flustered and then asked "...why"

he'd have been better off literally making GBS threads himself in front of the judge rather than doing that.
The GC of a fortune 500 company handed me (a, like, 2nd year partner at the time) a direct question to ask mid-examination during what was basically the company's biggest ever trial.

I said no.

Nah. The world is your oyster of you have the balls to take big cases to trial.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Kalman posted:

It was the ins and outs that got him in trouble - the ups and downs followed naturally.

:drat:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday by former Chicago Park District counsel general George Smyrniotis, says Lightfoot blocked a deal with an Italian-American group to display the statue in the Columbus Day Parade.

Smyrniotis claims she berated the lawyers who struck the deal, asking them which law school they attended or if they even went to law school. The suit claims the insults defamed Smyrniotis by insinuating that he lacked the abilities to perform his duties.

The lawsuit also claims the mayor used obscene language and called the lawyers “d—-.” The mayor allegedly made the following statement:

“You make some kind of secret agreement with Italians, what you are doing, you are out there measuring your d—- with the Italians seeing whose got the biggest d—, you are out there stroking your d—- over the Columbus statue, I am trying to keep Chicago Police officers from being shot and you are trying to get them shot.

The lawsuit claims she then went on to say, “My d— is bigger than yours and the Italians, I have the biggest d— in Chicago.”

Lol also the suit proves lightfoot was telling the truth

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Pro click.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Discord down.
Go to law school everyone.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

Discord down.

Recent picture of nm (on the left), so you can tell he's trustworthy and wouldn't lie to you:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Discord down.

Not true, whitlam just banned you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp