Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

According to GOG, I have over 300 hours in X4 already (and that seems like a low estimate) - and I'm planning another complete story-run through and completionist run once all the expansions and patches have come out.

Thanks for responding though, I do appreciate the feedback and will gladly take more.

If you do find something like Freespace or freelancer then do share with the group. I have such fond memories of FS2 cap ship battles which I have never experienced after. I have checked all the games already mentioned in the replies and they all look inadequate. There is always a chance some semi indie title flying under the radar. Chorus - while not very good imho - came out of nowhere so I keep hoping someone will do spiritual successor to Freespace. Hope dies last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Venuz Patrol posted:

grapple dog and webbed are part of a new trend of developers correctly recognizing that the grappling hook overshadows every other movement technique available in any metroidvania game. might as well make it available from the start and build the entire game around it

Bionic Commando growing up. Man, that poo poo was hard, but so fun.

.random
May 7, 2007

Philthy posted:

Bionic Commando growing up. Man, that poo poo was hard, but so fun.

Not a fresh release, and probably way way quieter than it used to be on multiplayer, but man, swinging in SpeedRunners felt so good. Even if you weren’t a master at it (doing all sorts of little micro swings), you could still get some great movement, and converting vertical momentum into horizontal momentum never got old

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Things are heating up in terms of releases! :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272320/Diplomacy_is_Not_an_Option/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256871933/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1643837760

quote:

You were born a feudal lord. Sounds good, right? But you're bored of hunting, executions and tournaments. Even of feasts with beautiful maidens. The only dream left - your castle surrounded by hordes of enemies. You would waste no time on negotiation. This is your chance to show'em who is in charge.
Early access. Very Positive reviews. Big draw seems to be incredible numbers of units on screen.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1431230/Gods_of_Sand/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256805188/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1603118951

quote:

Train gladiators. Manage a ludus. Fight in the arenas. Conquer the tower. Gods of Sand is a gladiator manager with intense turn-based combat, inspired by the Swords and Sandals series, in a dark and unforgiving setting.
Early access. Very Positive reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1164250/Model_Builder/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256872663/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644333600

quote:

Model Builder is a game about building and customizing model vehicles. Assemble, customize and display your creations - fill virtual shelves with amazing machines! Whether you’re a veteran or a novice, you are bound to have fun!
Very Positive reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1033080/Letters__a_written_adventure/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256873001/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644417941

quote:

Letters is a fun word puzzle game about friendship, growing up and finding your place in life. Follow Sarah, a shy girl from Switzerland, by moving through her pen pal letters and chat messages. Use the power of words to solve riddles, interact with her friends and decide who she will grow up to be.
Positive reviews. Looks cute and people seem to like the word riddles although I don't really understand how they work.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Play posted:

Positive reviews. Looks cute and people seem to like the word riddles although I don't really understand how they work.

The puzzles in the trailer seemed a bit like Scribblenauts. I was hoping for something more like Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

madfury posted:

If you do find something like Freespace or freelancer then do share with the group. I have such fond memories of FS2 cap ship battles which I have never experienced after. I have checked all the games already mentioned in the replies and they all look inadequate. There is always a chance some semi indie title flying under the radar. Chorus - while not very good imho - came out of nowhere so I keep hoping someone will do spiritual successor to Freespace. Hope dies last.
The sad thing is, the FreeSpace IP was for sale at one point for a mere $5000 after some lawyer mismanaged it - but now it's back with Interplay and they're doing gently caress-all with it.

If I find something that's like FreeSpace, you can definitely believe that I'm going to shout about it from every rooftop.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Prose & Codes

quote:

Explore the wonderful world of books through deceptively simple ciphers. A portion of every purchase benefits Project Gutenberg, an online library of over 60,000 free ebooks.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256853534/movie480_vp9.webm

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

madfury posted:

It's somewhat arcadey and VERY shallow but the closest thing to Freelancer/Privateer in years was Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

You can make it less arcadey by not using the auto-tail-a-ship function in combat, if you want

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

madfury posted:

Seriously. I think I might pay a ridiculous amount of money if someone just straight-up remastered FreeSpace 1&2 into HD.

I still can't believe they released Star Wars: Squadrons without any real single player campaign. I was so hyped for that game. What an absolute disappointment.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ChickenMedium posted:

Seriously. I think I might pay a ridiculous amount of money if someone just straight-up remastered FreeSpace 1&2 into HD.
Someone has, it's called FreeSpace Open and features a port of FreeSpace 1 and ST into the FS2/FSOpen engine, which has been modded to have have high-definition models.
It can be installed via Knossos, which also features a metric shitton of user-created content (some of which is just as good as the original FreeSpace).

EDIT: You'll wanna grab FreeSpace Port, FreeSpace Port MediaVPs, Silent Threat: Reborn, and Freespace Upgrade MediaVPs - and it goes without saying that you'll need the game files, but they're easily available from GOG.
As far as user-made mods that are worth playing, Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius (the first part of a trilogy, where the second part is still being worked on) is probably the best one, but here's a complete list - I'd suggest looking for things that work in FSO and optionally are voiced, if you want the full experience.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 14, 2022

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
I brought freelance 2 yesterday and can confirm that it does look pretty drat nice with the HD mod, and having never played it before has a really interesting story so far. I can also confirm that I am bad at stopping space stations from being destroyed by bombers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doki Doki Ragnarok, a dating simulator where you are a Viking and your love interests are European villages

not villagers, villages

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hate ironic dating sims. the only thing i hate more is ironic dating sims that are so tone deaf they think dating villages you pillage is funny— despite the fact that pillage is often paired with another word that starts with a r.

haha, this sounds funny and is not gross at all if you don't think about it more than a few seconds

but hey you can use any voice with any appearance, so its all good!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Snooze Cruise posted:

i hate ironic dating sims. the only thing i hate more is ironic dating sims that are so tone deaf they think dating villages you pillage is funny— despite the fact that pillage is often paired with another word that starts with a r.

haha, this sounds funny and is not gross at all if you don't think about it more than a few seconds

but hey you can use any voice with any appearance, so its all good!

I found the idea amusing for a few seconds. But yeah, you kinda ruined that mood. That is indeed a bit messed up.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
"Doki Doki Ragnarok is a viking visual novel in which you pillage and date villages around the world. It takes place in a ridiculous world where viking raids are like going on a date - with the village!
For vikings, raiding a village is more than warfare: it means dating, flirting, and understanding each other consensually. Show that you carry a conversation as easy as you carry an axe."

yep, it's cringe

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
what the gently caress is a rillage?

e: nvm my head is filled with rocks and fluff instead of brain matter.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Wait so is it just the word 'pillage' that is objected to, or any war game ever made?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Morpheus posted:

Wait so is it just the word 'pillage' that is objected to, or any war game ever made?

there is a difference between the average game that ignores war time rape and this game where you are seducing towns to let their guard down so you can enter and pillage them which through innuendo compares the act to sex

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

there is a difference between the average game that ignores war time rape and this game where you are seducing towns to let their guard down so you can enter and pillage them which through innuendo compares the act to sex

These feel very strange words to type out, but the pillaging is consensual. I don't see anything objectionable in the silly viking dating game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Bug Squash posted:

These feel very strange words to type out, but the pillaging is consensual. I don't see anything objectionable in the silly viking dating game.

Villages cannot give consent to violence

Constructing an artificial scenario in which villages give consent to violence is at best a strange thing to do

Like, imagine if it were violence being carried out on any other target that, in the real world, we consider unable to give consent, we would probably see that as pretty hosed up

This is a game where sex is a metaphor for violence and while that can be funny to some folks it is deeply concerning to others

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I would probably have found the whole premise of the game funny 20 years ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah if this was a 2001 Newgrounds game I might have chuckled but uh

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

You were all fine with games where you had sex with swords and pigeons. What possible violence could be implied by a sword?

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 15, 2022

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Bug Squash posted:

You were all fine with games where you had sex with swords and pigeons. What possible violence could be implied by a sword?

Pillaging towns involved real violence and rape against it's citizens throughout our history, this game is framing that as some 'funny' consensual date between the invaders and the town.

It is completely unlike a dating game with swords and/or pigeons :psyduck:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Here's a scholarly treatise on the subject which should help put the debate to rest:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uJqEKYbh-LU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

having now tried the demo, posting it was a waste of everybody's time

mea culpa

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256864705/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1639345649

It looks like Homeworld 3's dropping into Early Access

Sensor layers!:byodood:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It looks so perfect, but we've been burned so many times on space games. Eagerly awaiting the grog reviewers giving their impressions before dropping my :10bux: .

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Liberte

quote:

A story-driven, top-down rogue-like set in an alternate-history, Lovecraftian version of the French Revolution. Play solo or Co-op and influence the fate of four unique factions in their clash for power.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256837443/movie480_vp9.webm

This just came out in EA but might be worth keeping an eye on.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

madfury posted:

I think it's stuck on Xbox 360, but check out that version of Sylpheed. Remarkably nimble ship, lots of cool weapons, small capital ships start appearing in the second mission, and there are some great enormous fleet battles later. If you play it, start on Hard - there's more enemies, which means more post-mission points, which means more weapons to buy and more escalation. Learn to aim bombs with your afterburner. It's the best thing I've played since Freespace 2.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
PROBABLY not something most goons would be incredibly interested in but....

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1866710/Draft_Day_Sports_College_Football_2022/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256871517/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644950958

quote:

Prepare to lead your favorite school to championship glory as you experience the most realistic college football simulation on the planet. Customize your game world to suit your desires - change everything from the team names and logos all the way to the custom playoff option! Create custom plays and playbooks, get immersed in the game world with the in game media news and magazine options and do what it takes to lead your favorite school to a championship! Link your DDS: College Football 2022 game world to DDS: Pro Football 2022 for seamless integration of the two games for the ultimate football universe!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Liberte

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256837443/movie480_vp9.webm

This just came out in EA but might be worth keeping an eye on.

I happen to be working on a deck-based ARPG prototype so I was jealously interested in what this thing was going for and having tried it for a few minutes, whoo boy it's worth waiting on for now. There's a lot of quite brutal control jankiness in the moment-to-moment of how the character moves around and they've gone for an ultraflat icons-only UI that kinda doesn't fit with the Path of Exile worldspace they're putting together or the frankly gorgeous painted character portraits. I suspect that aspect would grow on me with a bit more time.

The way the cards work is, loot drops occasionally put cards from your (prebuilt) deck into your hand; you play cards to buff your character with skills and passive effects, where the cost of playing a card is paid in mana; mana is gained by burning cards, on a one-for-one basis with what their cost would be. One tutorial situation in the game is choosing between equipping two 1-cost cards by burning a 2-cost card, or vice versa. After the card is played, it's equipped to the character- passives go in a list, skills go on your skill bar and are now governed by cooldowns. All equipped skills lose one cooldown tick every time you land a basic attack, which means you'll be clicking bad guys a lot to bring your non-clicking skills to bear (tutorial skills have cooldown values around 4). Your basic attacks are big sweeping things but they come out at a slightly slower-than-expected, more-delayed-than-I-wanted pace; skills come out fast as hell and feel pretty powerful, which is nice. Strong cards are balanced by needing to burn more cards to play them initially, and by having longer cooldowns once played.

What I'm saying is there's some very solid bones here for some interesting stuff and the rules feel like a nice blend of tabletop and video game, but right now the moment-to-moment is just a little bit on the rough side and the character motion needs tuning.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 16, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon

quote:

Death is not the end: defeat infernal foes until you die and carry on the fight with your eternal soul and memories in a new body!
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256874138/movie480_vp9.webm

Konami's take on Dead Cells, apparently. The game's gorgeous and the EA reviews are mostly positive.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I think it's stuck on Xbox 360, but check out that version of Sylpheed. Remarkably nimble ship, lots of cool weapons, small capital ships start appearing in the second mission, and there are some great enormous fleet battles later. If you play it, start on Hard - there's more enemies, which means more post-mission points, which means more weapons to buy and more escalation. Learn to aim bombs with your afterburner. It's the best thing I've played since Freespace 2.

Never owned a console but I appreciate the tip. At the very least I will check a playthru and try to relive olden glory days of great space games.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

ultrafilter posted:

GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256874138/movie480_vp9.webm

Konami's take on Dead Cells, apparently. The game's gorgeous and the EA reviews are mostly positive.

Enjoying this. The game doesn't really tell you that you lose almost all metaprogression materials upon death, and I was wondering how the hell I was going to afford any upgrades. Turns out you can end your run after each boss to bank your stuff.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Some game called "Horizon Forbidden West" has been released. People seem to like it. But to PC release yet, so I guess I'll pass on it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

cant cook creole bream posted:

But no PC release yet, so I guess I'll pass on it.

That's the forbidden part.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I played the first one, and it looked great, but the gameplay was so samey to other big games that I lost interest almost immediately.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The only thing it has in common with other games is that it's an open world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The Steam Demo-fest is currently happening, and there is definately some good stuff that is worth keeping an eye on (for when they release).