Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

MrOnBicycle posted:

I had good results using a steam cleaning to heat up and pull it off. Also man is the thread title hitting home a bit too much.

Steam is 100% the correct tool for the job when removing tint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have only attempted to remove rear window tint one time. I was as careful as I could be and I still managed to cut the defroster grid in two spots. I didn't have a steamer at the time but I do now. My wife's CR-V has some tint that was applied very poorly and has obvious wrinkles in it. Maybe I'll try the steamer on that...

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Steam? This is an excellent idea as my wife has some pro level steamer she uses for clothes. Steam and a plastic razor might do this. I’ll report back with the results.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've had mixed results with steam, but absolutely give it a try. Some tints and glues just fall apart anyway which is why an alcohol soak was all that would work.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Finished up all the 7.3 front end stuff, printed a shift knob for it.

https://i.imgur.com/FFaHQdT.mp4

Started it up to warm up before test driving it with the new front end stuff, went inside to get some coffee, and came back out to a 2 gallon puddle of diesel from the fuel bowl lifting the cap a tiny bit on one side and blowing the o-ring out. Spent the rest of the day cleaning up and admiring my newly degreased drivers side frame rail.

I'm pretty sure it was just the lovely aftermarket fuel bowl cap having inadequate thread engagement, could also be restricted return line or hosed up regulator spring, who knows. Gonna have to stop being lazy and put a fitting and schrader valve in the fuel bowl test port so I can see if the fuel pressure is the problem.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 18, 2022

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That shift knob rules.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I love the shift knob.

I tried to put the door handle rod clip in my CR-V door this morning. It slipped out of my fingers and got stuck between the door latch body and the door skin. I can't even see it with a mirror inside the door. The screws for the latch are super tight and even using the proper larger than Phillips #2 screwdriver two of the screws got pretty mangled. Feck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PBCrunch posted:

I have also discovered that draining well over a gallon of water out of my air compressor makes my cheapo sand blaster work much better. I've been blasting the 18" Dodge Charger wheels I put on my 93 Toyota Pickup when it isn't winter. The original finish on the wheels is shot around the edges with lots of corrosion. Chemical stripper didn't make a dent in the finish. I did everything I could reach with a braided wire wheel on an angle grinder and the sand blaster is getting the rest.

Media blasters are very finicky about moisture. Do you have a moisture trap? Get one, and yeah, open that drain valve before use. I went as far as to put an aftercooler on my compressor.

PBCrunch posted:

I love the shift knob.

I tried to put the door handle rod clip in my CR-V door this morning. It slipped out of my fingers and got stuck between the door latch body and the door skin. I can't even see it with a mirror inside the door. The screws for the latch are super tight and even using the proper larger than Phillips #2 screwdriver two of the screws got pretty mangled. Feck.

I love plastic clips in inaccessible locations.

I bought an assortment of the ones used for most lock and latch actuator rods because I inevitably break one working on older Japanese stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
With little plastic pieces like that I always buy a few more than I need because I know drat well, I'm either going to break one, lose one or both.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I don't have an aftercooler or a moisture trap. Can you elaborate or link to additional information?

I would have bought more than one clip, but it was $9. That's like a whole gallon of gas in Sweden or Australia, neither of which are places where I live.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 19, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I don't have an aftercooler or a moisture trap. Can you elaborate or link to additional information?

I would have bought more than one clip, but it was $9. That's like a whole gallon of gas in Sweden or Australia, neither of which are places where I live.

Aftercooler is fabrication involving an oil cooler, fan, and a couple hundred dollars. Google is your friend there - lots of YouTube videos for DIY stuff, but for occasional use, a good dryer is all you need. My particular install is in my thread somewhere for both the cooler and dryer.
I grabbed a Harbor Freight combo moisture trap and desiccant dryer:
I used something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-desiccant-dryer-with-oil-removal-filter-69923.html
And a regulator immediately following the desiccant.

If you're not familiar, the blue stuff is what's in those "do not eat" packets in various products to absorb moisture. This particular variant is blue when dry, and turns pink as it absorbs moisture. You can replace (cheap in bilk on Amazon) or just heat up in the oven to bake the moisture back out.
That can be attached directly to your cabinet if you just want to use it there. Mine is before my hose reel so I can dry all the air going through my various air tools and spray guns. Vitally important for the paint guns.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Darchangel posted:

Unfortunately, I couldn't make the 10" fit without blocking stuff.
So far it's been pretty good. I've had an intermittent issue of it blanking the screen in CarPlay. Music continues to play, and if you know where to press, the touchscreen is working. Hitting the hardware "home" button, then going back to CarPlay brings it back. No idea if it does it in other modes - I don't use them so far. Not fatal- just annoying. It was fine to and from work on Wednesday, then did it 4-5 times today (Friday.)
I just installed a firmware update at lunch. We'll see if that fixes it. By the numbers, it was several versions newer.

The USB connector on both units was a little jank (it's a hard wired female-end cable) -- try different cables, seems to be the biggest issue.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PBCrunch posted:

If that was a guess it was pretty good because that was pretty close to what the gas price is at in Sweden.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rear end back in the 63 Grand Prix

Working on making my DIY coilover conversion fit then on to putting the fuel tank back in, wiring the sender and test fitting the cragars from the C10 that don’t fit it but might fit this car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the Fit buttoned up.

Tein S Tech springs, new KYB GR-2 struts. And I put the winter wheels on just to make sure they will clear since the tires are taller than the OEM and summer wheels/tire setup.

Also installed a shift boot collar but I’ll have to re-do this tomorrow because I didn’t realize there was a proprietary elastic band to secure the collar to the shift boot. I’ll have to take the console off again but I should be able to do it in five minutes now that I know how.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Programmed the Dashlogic dongle so I could have a custom HUD/DIC layout. Had to order a new MAP from a ZR1 so I can have enough headroom for the boost, and also ordered an AEM wideband so I can have AFR on the HUD/DIC also. Gonna be a little trial and error, as I get the pages to align the information how I want them. I also have to take my drag radials to the tire shop and have the TPMS removed. Found a nice method on the vette forum that I didn't think about. You put the TPMS in pvc pipes, put valve stems on them, and inflate the little pvc capsules. Then you can pair the TPMS with the car, throw the capsules in the little storage containers in the hatch, and you'll be able to air the radials down and not have active handling freak out. Also picked up a toggle switch to disconnect the steering angle sensor so I can keep active handling at bay when I'm at the track.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Got the Fit buttoned up.

Tein S Tech springs, new KYB GR-2 struts. And I put the winter wheels on just to make sure they will clear since the tires are taller than the OEM and summer wheels/tire setup.

Also installed a shift boot collar but I’ll have to re-do this tomorrow because I didn’t realize there was a proprietary elastic band to secure the collar to the shift boot. I’ll have to take the console off again but I should be able to do it in five minutes now that I know how.

That's an interesting spring configuration

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Panty Saluter posted:

That's an interesting spring configuration

It seems like all the aftermarket springs for the GK Fit look something like that. Slight variations in coil spacing but generally very similar.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Put on some winter wheel+tires on the Land Cruiser

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

The USB connector on both units was a little jank (it's a hard wired female-end cable) -- try different cables, seems to be the biggest issue.

Will do. Right now, the wireless adapter cable is fed through a hole in the pocket under the radio, to avoid making the hole large enough to fit the female connectors on that captive cable, but I will be opening up that hole to feed that cable through so I can potentially swap cables without fully removing the dash panel and radio. I have to pull the radio anyway to plug in the remote control receiver.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tenchrono posted:

:discourse:

That's one nice looking LC!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Tenchrono posted:

Nice FJ60! 31x10.5 tires?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks! I wanna say these come out to 29s? 235/75r15 which is what it came from the factory with. I think when late spring / summer come I am going to put another pair of 33x10.5s again, as well as upgrading the brakes.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I lost the door latch rod clip inside my door. I used a mirror and a pick to try to find it. I tried to dislodge the lost clip using compressed air. No luck. I tried to use an impact screwdriver to try to turn the screws on the latch. No luck. I tried to use an air hammer with a chisel point to try to turn the screw. This only succeeded in damaging the door jamb.

I went to the parts store on a whim and bought a Dorman Help! pack of rod clips. One of them fit well enough to work, but... the door wouldn't latch shut anymore. And of course the garage was a mess and it was dark outside.

I examined it closely with the mirror and figured the latch wasn't working because the lost clip was blocking the latch from working. My wife suggested I bring out the endoscope that connects to my phone. After much contorting I was able to get an idea of where the clip ended up using the endoscope. I never was able to spot the lost clip with my eyes or with the mirror. It took me about an hour, but I finally got the clip dislodged from its spot between the door latch and the door skin, right behind one of the window tracks. With the clip out of the way, the door latch worked just as before.

I also managed to get some of that goop that holds the vapor barrier onto the inner door skin on my pants. Boo.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 21, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PBCrunch posted:

I lost the door latch rod clip inside my door. I used a mirror and a pick to try to find it. I tried to dislodge the lost clip using compressed air. No luck. I tried to use an impact screwdriver to get turn the screws on the latch. No luck. I tried to use an air hammer with a chisel point to try to turn the screw. This only succeeded in damaging the door jamb.

I went to the parts store on a whim and bought a Dorman Help! pack of rod clips. One of them fit well enough to work, but... the door wouldn't latch shut anymore. And of course the garage was a mess and it was dark outside.

I examined it closely with the mirror and figured the latch wasn't working because the lost clip was blocking the latch from working. My wife suggested I bring out the endoscope that connects to my phone. After much contorting I was able to get an idea of where the clip ended up using the endoscope. I never was able to spot the lost clip with my eyes or with the mirror. It took me about an hour, but I finally got the clip dislodged from its spot between the door latch and the door skin, right behind one of the window tracks. With the clip out of the way, the door latch worked just as before.

I also managed to get some of that goop that holds the vapor barrier onto the inner door skin on my pants. Boo.
I feel this in my bones during about every routine job. Makes me move a little closer to farming out the work, both home and auto.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Whoever put the Tacoma's oil filter where it is should have been tossed to the wolves at birth. Normally it's a 10-minute job if you can get the filter to shift with your hands. If not it's a 'drop the bash plate and spend ages carefully lining up a wrench that needs to be in the one location it can shift slightly. Why not leave room to jam a screwdriver in there? Why not put it literally anywhere else?

At least the prop shaft zerks are easy enough.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Can you get a specialty oil filter socket for just that size filter?

Something like this:

It’s so much easier than strap wrenches or screwdrivers.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

You probably already know this, but allow me to confirm: that tool is for oil filter removal only. Do not use it to put an oil filter on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Advent Horizon posted:

Can you get a specialty oil filter socket for just that size filter?

Something like this:

It’s so much easier than strap wrenches or screwdrivers.

It's the principal god drat it!

I have onn of these but need an extra-long extension for the wrench. So if it's an excuse to buy more gear I GUESS.

PBCrunch posted:

You probably already know this, but allow me to confirm: that tool is for oil filter removal only. Do not use it to put an oil filter on.

I only ever hand tighten and every time I do it a little looser and every time it's impossible to get off with my hands. Quater turn after it stops and all that. I'm not the weakest human being so I dunno.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Outrail posted:

I have onn of these but need an extra-long extension for the wrench. So if it's an excuse to buy more gear I GUESS.

I love extra-long extensions! I can change my spark plugs from next door, which is great because he has a more comfortable couch.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
"Chain vise grips" are your best friend when strap wrenches and regular oil filter wrenches start slipping.

Assuming you have the room to swing them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

wesleywillis posted:

"Chain vise grips" are your best friend when strap wrenches and regular oil filter wrenches start slipping.

Assuming you have the room to swing them.

If there was any room to do anything I'd jam a screwdriver through it and be done in 5 minutes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PBCrunch posted:

Looks like you can put an impact on one side to me. :colbert:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
IRRC, the last time I used a fram filter was back in highschool, but they used to have the filters with skateboard style grip tape texture on the end and it was great. Never had an issue removing those. Also every filter should just have a female 3/8 square socket.

On another note, the 4 Runner didn't start the other day so I jumped it with the Prius. It was dead again this morning so off to Costco I went to get a new battery, I got it two years ago so it was a free exchange. I'm hoping it was just a battery and not my alternator.

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 22, 2022

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

This thread or one similar turned me onto the strap wrench style filter remover and boy do I enjoy that over the bucket of filter tools; none of which seem to ever fit the car presently in the middle of an oil change.

Sadly this tool is powerless against cartridge style filter housings.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chunjee posted:

This thread or one similar turned me onto the strap wrench style filter remover and boy do I enjoy that over the bucket of filter tools; none of which seem to ever fit the car presently in the middle of an oil change.

Sadly this tool is powerless against cartridge style filter housings.

strap wrenches are good if the filter isnt on there too tight, and if you have space, but those are significant caveats. i like the 3-finger claw kinds that are like a cruder, universal version of the filter socket tool. hasnt failed me yet! no cartridge filters in my life anymore, though

Verman posted:

On another note, the 4 Runner didn't start the other day so I jumped it with the Prius. It was dead again this morning so off to Costco I went to get a new battery, I got it two years ago so it was a free exchange. I'm hoping it was just a battery and not my alternator.

do you have a multimeter? if the battery voltage is over 13.8V with the engine running, your alternator is fine. ideally more like 14.5V. easy way to mostly rule out the alternator being the root cause

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Raluek posted:

strap wrenches are good if the filter isnt on there too tight, and if you have space, but those are significant caveats. i like the 3-finger claw kinds that are like a cruder, universal version of the filter socket tool. hasnt failed me yet! no cartridge filters in my life anymore, though

To me, the strap wrench kind is wildly ineffective. The reason I generally can't remove a filter is because I can't get my meathook around the thing. Thus there is no room for the strap wrench style.

The only cartridge filter I have is the mercedes, but that was back when they knew how to design a loving canister. The top bolts on instead of threading on. So it is never an issue to remove.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You've all reminded me I need to buy myself that MX5/Miata specific oil filter adaptor tool. I bought the car and tried to do a full service but couldn't get the loving filter off because the angle and space you've got is ridiculous. Ended up just changing the oil before taking a trip in the car and then have had it sit in storage since.

I need to change that loving filter.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

My favorite tool by far for spinning off used-up oil filters is a vise-grip style locking pliers. You need a little bit of room to make it work, but it does not allow the filter to slip. This guy right here:

https://www.harborfreight.com/locking-oil-filter-wrench-63696.html

FYI, Vise Grips were invented in Nebraska. Irwin took their VG manufacturing to the Far East a few years ago, but an outfit called Eagle Grip produces locking pliers in the old factory in DeWitt, Nebraska. Bring money though. The 7" straight jaw locking pliers are like $55.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I buy K&N Performance filters. They have a 1" hex on the end. A socket or wrench pops em loose.