Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every Batman and Superman team-up does this gag, and it's great every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
the thing I loved most about that show is how it just marched straight past the imposing Batman the Animated Series monolith and just embraced silver-age goofiness for all it was worth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kevin Palpatine posted:

the thing I loved most about that show is how it just marched straight past the imposing Batman the Animated Series monolith and just embraced silver-age goofiness for all it was worth
Yeah. You were never going to out-serious or out-iconic BTAS, so they wisely pivoted to taking it in a completely different direction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You could say that Batman: The Brave and the Bold was truly... OUTRAGEOUS.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Chill of the Night showed they can still make BtAS level Batman episodes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

Yeah. You were never going to out-serious or out-iconic BTAS, so they wisely pivoted to taking it in a completely different direction.

That said it *can* be serious. Chill of the Night, The Doom Patrol and Bwana Beast can all hit nice and hard

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

FFT posted:

Bishop: "Baron Schlang you're insane"

Also a great Avatar

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also Brave & the Bold had a musical for one episode. Great show all around.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

muscles like this! posted:

You could say that Batman: The Brave and the Bold was truly... OUTRAGEOUS.

The only acceptable depiction of Aquaman

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Lobok posted:

Also Brave & the Bold had a musical for one episode. Great show all around.

there were some songs in non-musical episodes too, such as when black canary, catwoman and huntress sang about how none of the superheroes dicks work

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

sebmojo posted:

incredible avatar, who wants it

I’d love it. I already look like him and I have the same lamp and crimeplans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

dordreff posted:

there were some songs in non-musical episodes too, such as when black canary, catwoman and huntress sang about how none of the superheroes dicks work

awesome

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

SimonChris posted:

I looked this up, and it also contains the following amazing sequence:

Blue Beetle #24 (1943)

I love the idea of a superhero who hides his identity by wearing a rubber mask on top of his superhero mask.

Definitely one of Golden Age Batman's favorite gimmicks.

Did this for a shrunken head Photoshop Friday back in the day.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #91 (1961)

Strange Tales #124 (1964)

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #124 (1964)

and yo shorts look like a dishrag

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

I loved that show for the JSA episode where Ted Knight (Starman) sounded exactly like Ted Knight (Caddyshack).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Splint Chesthair posted:

I loved that show for the JSA episode where Ted Knight (Starman) sounded exactly like Ted Knight (Caddyshack).

OK, now I'm convinced. I have to watch just for this.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Detective Comics #6 (1937)

Leading Comics #4 (1942)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Darthemed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7gi57NJDds&t=131s

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #91 (1961)

I'm impressed by how many of those Silver Age stories involved Superboy being compelled to eat weird poo poo. Someone at DC must have had a pica fetish.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SimonChris posted:

I looked this up, and it also contains the following amazing sequence:

Blue Beetle #24 (1943)

I love the idea of a superhero who hides his identity by wearing a rubber mask on top of his superhero mask.
Jumping in late for the classic counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9LltXH6fg

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FFT posted:

That one is super fun because it's Michael Rosenbaum voicing The Flash in JLU, and he's probably most famous for playing a young (20 something, not a kid) Lex Luthor in Smallville.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Dewey is a heavy drinker.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Can you guess which cup was full of nickels?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Elfface posted:

Can you guess which cup was full of nickels?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Skwirl posted:

That one is super fun because it's Michael Rosenbaum voicing The Flash in JLU, and he's probably most famous for playing a young (20 something, not a kid) Lex Luthor in Smallville.
That is super fun! I had no idea.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Quasar #25 (1991)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Quasar #25 (1991)

Reminds me of Henry Cavill doing the fist reload in M:I Fallout.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

FFT posted:

That must be the one cartoon were they didn't also switch the voices. Even as a kid i thought that was stupid and didn't make sense. Why would the voices change? It's the same body

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I Love Loosies posted:

That must be the one cartoon were they didn't also switch the voices. Even as a kid i thought that was stupid and didn't make sense. Why would the voices change? It's the same body

I thought the best part of the episode was hearing Clancy Brown (the Kurrigan, Lex Luthor, Sgt. Zim, etc.) do his impression of Flash doing Flash's impression of Luthor. "Because I'm evil!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The big reason they probably didn't swap them was because Michael Rosenbaum, the voice of the Flash, is also pretty well known for playing Lex.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I Love Loosies posted:

That's definitely my pet peeve whenever a show does a mind/body swap episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Isn't the whole point of episodes like that giving the actor (voice or otherwise) a chance to play against type and have fun with it?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Uncanny X-Men #123 (1979)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I Love Loosies posted:

I always wondered, if you switch brains with someone with a different accent, wouldn't at least some of the accent switch over?

Bruceski posted:

Isn't the whole point of episodes like that giving the actor (voice or otherwise) a chance to play against type and have fun with it?

Face/Off is great for this because most of the movie is Nic Cage doing a John Travolta impression and John Travolta doing a Nic Cage impression

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

There is a concern, especially with cartoons, about the auidience getting confused. I don't agree but that is a big part of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I always wondered, if you switch brains with someone with a different accent, wouldn't at least some of the accent switch over?

That would be a fun thing to do, keep the body's voice but switch the accent with the brains, I don't think I've ever seen that.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

MikeJF posted:

That would be a fun thing to do, keep the body's voice but switch the accent with the brains, I don't think I've ever seen that.

I think we've discovered the real reason behind Foreign accent syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually I've just had a flashback to 90% of Australian accents by American actors and I take it all back.