Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Torpor posted:

so not a couple hundred thousand reservists? not a mass call up that is usually a warning sign?

heres the text of the decree if anyone can read russian since i can't select the text to paste into a translator

http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/0001202202180067?index=1&rangeSize=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

But loving around in Ukraine seems to be broadly unpopular so I don't understand the play here. His poll numbers aren't going up. Even if all of this super secret intel about Putin is true then I don't see any advantage to Biden/dems to do all this pageantry nonsense. The only one benefiting is the US media as I assume they are pulled great numbers for clicks/views so I know why they hype every single thing, but it's still requiring a lot of active help from the Biden admin.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1455834135931486212

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frosted Flake posted:

What’s the issue for Zelensky here?

Zelensky doesn't want to follow Minsk 2, which includes a ton about giving autonomy and independence to Donbas and...the other territory I always forget.

Minsk 2 isn't great, it's a pretty sloppy deal, but it's a deal and Zelensky's excuse of 'well my predecessor did that' is about as valid as Trump using the same to tear up the Iran deal and all, technically not wrong but it makes you look like a complete bitch that can't be trusted as a national power. It's especially stupid because he's also using the fact that the last guy slid a last minute 'btw Ukraine has to join NATO/the EU' into the constitution as proof that NATO has to admit them, so he's fine honoring past lovely ideas when it helps him.

Basically it's what happens when a comedian with no actual agenda wins an election because everyone else was hated by enough people to lose, he likely sees his political future as doomed if he even slightly looks like he's cowering in front of Russia, but the US is banging the war drum so hard he's kinda hosed from the usual status quo of 'Ukraine says 'oh noooo Russia's soooo scary guys!!!!!' and gets a blank check from the US or NATO'.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

But loving around in Ukraine seems to be broadly unpopular so I don't understand the play here. His poll numbers aren't going up. Even if all of this super secret intel about Putin is true then I don't see any advantage to Biden/dems to do all this pageantry nonsense. The only one benefiting is the US media as I assume they are pulled great numbers for clicks/views so I know why they hype every single thing, but it's still requiring a lot of active help from the Biden admin.

Yeah I think they think their numbers will improve if something actually does happen that proves they were right all along, but spoiler alert, they won't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Zelensky doesn't want to follow Minsk 2, which includes a ton about giving autonomy and independence to Donbas and...the other territory I always forget.

Minsk 2 isn't great, it's a pretty sloppy deal, but it's a deal and Zelensky's excuse of 'well my predecessor did that' is about as valid as Trump using the same to tear up the Iran deal and all, technically not wrong but it makes you look like a complete bitch that can't be trusted as a national power. It's especially stupid because he's also using the fact that the last guy slid a last minute 'btw Ukraine has to join NATO/the EU' into the constitution as proof that NATO has to admit them, so he's fine honoring past lovely ideas when it helps him.

Basically it's what happens when a comedian with no actual agenda wins an election because everyone else was hated by enough people to lose, he likely sees his political future as doomed if he even slightly looks like he's cowering in front of Russia, but the US is banging the war drum so hard he's kinda hosed from the usual status quo of 'Ukraine says 'oh noooo Russia's soooo scary guys!!!!!' and gets a blank check from the US or NATO'.

tbf to Zelensky, there's a good chance he'll just outright get couped by nationalists if he starts enforcing Russia's vision of Minsk II. But he should probably still do it, and then loving flee for his life or something.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

FuzzySlippers posted:

while it is nominally a distraction; but if Putin does decide to roll the dice and invade Ukraine Biden is finished because he has firmly hitched his wagon to this horse without doing a concomitant escalation that could credibly stop an invasion.

if Putin doesn’t decide to roll the dice, Biden and the defense establishment look like a bunch of weird losers that need a fainting couch every time Putin glances at them and have hurt their credibility.

edit: it’s like Biden has expertly parsed the issue to figure out to lose no matter what.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Feb 19, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sexpig by night posted:

Doesn’t that mean the comedian with no actual agenda is the only one who can deescalate right now?

The US is itching to fight to the last Ukrainian, but hasn’t actually promised any sort of support for him, he must see that by now. Russia is not going to back down without Minsk II, and his paramilitaries risk the fate of his nation daily unless he can rein them in by having a ceasefire and either pulling them out of the line or demobilizing them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

tbf to Zelensky, there's a good chance he'll just outright get couped by nationalists if he starts enforcing Russia's vision of Minsk II. But he should probably still do it, and then loving flee for his life or something.

yea I mean I do kinda feel for the guy because there's no real 'win' for him. If he follows Minsk he gets Azov perverts and their friends probably trying to kill him for being a 'Russian puppet', if he doesn't Putin can just forever (rightly) go 'we have a deal, why are you acting like the victim when I'm telling you to follow our deal?' and he'll forever be our proxy for loving with Russia under fake pretenses.

But yea the correct path is to just do what was agreed on (the people in these territories pretty overwhelmingly consider themselves Russian so that's more why I support that than 'THE LAW IS THE LAW', just to be clear) and then fuckin bail, not like he'd be the first guy in the region to do a midnight run to the airport.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

FuzzySlippers posted:

They are rusophobic American exceptionalists. This isn't about having a domestic distraction, it's about imposing maximum cost on Russian moves to reassert their sphere of influence.

So the play is magnify the threat to try and spook Putin and, failing that, justify to the voter base whatever future moves (sanctions, arms sales, etc) are taken in response, and a whole lot of bluster.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Is there a good breakdown of what's going on? People keep spouting off anecdotes without any sources.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frosted Flake posted:

Doesn’t that mean the comedian with no actual agenda is the only one who can deescalate right now?

The US is itching to fight to the last Ukrainian, but hasn’t actually promised any sort of support for him, he must see that by now. Russia is not going to back down without Minsk II, and his paramilitaries risk the fate of his nation daily unless he can rein them in by having a ceasefire and either pulling them out of the line or demobilizing them.

I mean he could, but that's where the 'no actual agenda' thing kinda bites us all in the rear end. He's not really a hardline nationalist or a big fan of Russia but his coalition kinda requires elements of both of those to think he's somewhat on their side. Plus I'm sure he's (probably correctly) been warned by his guys that if he strays too hard off the US script he's gonna find the aid (both ~lethal~ and ~non-lethal~) a lot less generous.

He and his cabinet have been pretty steady, for whatever it's worth, in telling people not to panic and trying to tamp down US hysterics so I think you're right that he does have an ability to keep things steady since I'm sure if he went the other way and went full "YEA MAN gently caress RUSSIA GIVE MY NAZIS GUNS AND GET YOUR ASSES IN HERE AMERICA!!!!" that'd probably be a way worse situation.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Conspiratiorist posted:

They are rusophobic American exceptionalists. This isn't about having a domestic distraction, it's about imposing maximum cost on Russian moves to reassert their sphere of influence.

So the play is magnify the threat to try and spook Putin and, failing that, justify to the voter base whatever future moves (sanctions, arms sales, etc) are taken in response, and a whole lot of bluster.

Americans don’t want to get involved in Ukraine and nobody cares if they sanction Russia either.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Panfilo posted:

Is there a good breakdown of what's going on? People keep spouting off anecdotes without any sources.

Russian troops on Ukrainian border, Biden is freaking out and acting like the boy who cried wolf. but by unnecessarily inserting himself in the situation Biden stands to lose no matter what happens. Russia is most likely not invading be they probably could win without much trouble depending on where they drive their tanks.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

heres the text of the decree if anyone can read russian since i can't select the text to paste into a translator

http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/0001202202180067?index=1&rangeSize=1
It doesn't say anything. Just a generic calling up reservists according to such and such law for munstering and carying out related duties.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Torpor posted:

Americans don’t want to get involved in Ukraine and nobody cares if they sanction Russia either.

Correct!

Nobody wants dead Are Troops, but the US is also the big boy superpower that doesn't let others have big wars in their Pax Americana, so they have to pretend they're doing something, anything, and that Putin is just a madman dictator of a pariah state and everyone else agrees right guys we're all in this together.
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1494686976527769603

Conspiratiorist has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Feb 19, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

sexpig by night posted:

what'd they do

Neuberger said if Russia did cyber attacks against USA companies or infrastructure the usa is "prepared to respond". Reuters quoted her as saying "prepared to attack."

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Torpor posted:

Yeah I feel like twitter/foreign policy blob have their head up their asses and forget that the great mass of the US doesn't care about other countries or actually like foreign wars. They like to feel bad rear end and pointlessly murder brown people, but actual 'oh poo poo this could affect me negatively' wars are not popular. No one cares about Ukraine and countering Russian aggression is only relevant to a sense of feeling vaguely bad rear end. A few muscular speeches would've been enough. No one cares about what sanctions we do or don't do.

I don't think anything short of Russia attacking the continental US is going to get a patriotic polling bounce.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"Oh so NOW we're supposed to arm Nazis????"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Conspiratiorist posted:

I was thinking about this:

In 1991 they won.

The USSR was dissolved, they were able to not only pry away members of Warsaw Pact but get them in NATO, Russia was in ruins. They got to watch Shock Therapy and national humiliation after humiliation. They got to bomb Serbia, which Russia had entered a world war to protect. Russia posed no military, economic or geopolitical threat for 30 years.

It’s not Russia’s fault they squandered that 30 year period. They were on top of the world, and they blew it. Politically and militarily they chose to squander American power on the War on Terror. The thing that weakened America tremendously? Russia was not involved at all. Squandering unparalleled financial power with the ‘08 Crash and all of the poo poo that’s come after? Also not Russia’s fault. In 30 years without an adversary the two major blows to America were not struck by Russia but in the total absence of Russia on the world stage.

If they’re mad because they feel like there’s more they need to accomplish, they had their chance. That’s what I don’t get. They were on top, alone, for 30 years. Not only was this going to end, that it ended with America teetering is also their fault because the policies of the GWOT and financial policies after the Crash were also their own doing!

When France eventually recovered from the Napoleonic Wars, say 30 years on, were there people furious that France regain its standing? Serious question, because Great Nations nearly always bounce back.

I’m just confused about their position here. This is a world of their own making.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Mr Hootington posted:

Neuberger said if Russia did cyber attacks against USA companies or infrastructure the usa is "prepared to respond". Reuters quoted her as saying "prepared to attack."

Putin just needs to invade because the us natsec blob is just in shambles, completely embarrassing. he needs to do it out of professional obligation at this point and nobody could blame him.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
A bipartisan push to pass the “mother of all sanctions” collapsed after Republicans insisted on imposing broad penalties before an invasion and Democrats, backing the White House, refused.

US Senate has failed to come to an agreement on that "mother of all sanctions" bill. Republicans want sanctions to be imposed now and not in response to an invasion. Some Democratic Senators appear open to that, but the Senate is in recess now for a week.

They may

quote:

For weeks, senators used language such as “fine-tuning” and “one-yard line” to describe how close they were to reaching a deal. Mr. Menendez suggested that senators might even plow over objections from the White House to imposing sanctions before an invasion, a move that Republicans had pushed for but the Biden administration had lobbied hard to head off.

“They’re not enthralled with the idea,” Mr. Menendez told reporters about the White House. “But I have suggested to them that a strong bipartisan response strengthens their hand.”

But in the end, according to aides familiar with the negotiations, the intractable disagreements that doomed Mr. Cruz’s legislation also snarled the bipartisan negotiations. Democrats balked at imposing such broad sanctions before an invasion, amid fierce resistance from the Treasury Department, and Republicans insisted on doing so.

As the talks wore on with no resolution, prominent backers of a sanctions package — including Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the minority leader — began to argue that Mr. Biden could unilaterally impose sanctions without congressional action.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hey! We're not the baddies!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Was there ever a point after the dissolution of the USSR that Russia could have integrated into the neo-liberal world order successfully? Or was gloating over a fallen adversary and looting the country basically the only option?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

Was there ever a point after the dissolution of the USSR that Russia could have integrated into the neo-liberal world order successfully? Or was gloating over a fallen adversary and looting the country basically the only option?

Yeah before shock therapy it was a genuine possibility but capitalists decided to loot the state instead and here we are

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Minenfeld! posted:

no absolutely not. the amount of internalized russophobia in dc is just insane. they never stood a chance

edit: they were always going to get parted out and looted and a victory dance done on their corpse. the specter of communism was so all encompassing that the policy makers of the time were hide bound and determined to ensure that nothing would rise from the ashes of the USSR or certainly nothing with Russia at the helm.

by god Europeans have lost too many boys in western Russia and that’s not happening again!

Torpor has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Feb 19, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

OhFunny posted:

A bipartisan push to pass the “mother of all sanctions” collapsed after Republicans insisted on imposing broad penalties before an invasion and Democrats, backing the White House, refused.

US Senate has failed to come to an agreement on that "mother of all sanctions" bill. Republicans want sanctions to be imposed now and not in response to an invasion. Some Democratic Senators appear open to that, but the Senate is in recess now for a week.

They may

Incredible.

Republicans are so horny for a conflict they can't even wait for Russia to go first.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Minenfeld! posted:

Bush Sr. and Clinton. Particularly Clinton.

The US intervened to guarantee Yeltsin who himself handpicked Putin as successor, and both proceeded to do everything right with the promise to integrate with the US/European world order, and were left hung to dry. By the time of Bush Jr. there was no interest to even engage with Russia, and by Obama 'containment policy' was adopted.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Libshits crying about Putin being the antichrist for intervening in the 2016 POTUS elections have zero sense of irony.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Conspiratiorist posted:

Libshits crying about Putin being the antichrist for intervening in the 2016 POTUS elections have zero sense of irony.

I can agree with you on that, it’s loving deranged in general and with regard to Russia in particular

edit: I disagree with the above posters that Russia ever had a chance to have normal relations with the west, there might have been faint glimmers but I think they were just that, faint.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bush Sr. and Clinton. Particularly Clinton.

The US intervened to guarantee Yeltsin who himself handpicked Putin as successor, and both proceeded to do everything right with the promise to integrate with the US/European world order, and were left hung to dry. By the time of Bush Jr. there was no interest to even engage with Russia, and by Obama 'containment policy' was adopted.

Wasn't the US containment policy explicitly based around containing CHYNA?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

quote:

A structural theory cannot predict which collapsed empires will revive; it can only point to the structural conditions that make revival possible and likely. In so doing, the theory need not go beyond its domain and thereby flirt with theorizing everything. Collapse comes about from the chance intervention of shocks that push a system, however vigorous or de- cayed, over the edge. Revival, in contrast, is not serendipitous: it can occur only if the empire that collapsed possessed certain characteristics when the shock struck. As a result, revival is not just a return to the status quo ante. In a very real sense, revival is the continuation of the status quo ante: revival is what would have happened if shocks had not intervened. As we know, such a counterfactual conditional can hold only if a theory underpins it. That theory is, for better or for worse, the theory of decline presented in this book.

As I argue in this chapter, a relatively strong core state constitutes a nec- essary condition of revival, and the evenness of decay and the degree of continuity are its facilitating conditions. Thus revival is impossible if decay is advanced or if, even with minimal decay, the postcollapse core state is weak. Alternatively, if and when revival is possible, it is more likely to occur if decay is even and territorial continuity is substantial.

A powerful core and poorly endowed peripheries are almost certain to be implicated in a reconstituted imperial relationship. We expect the former core to dominate the former peripheries, the former peripheries to continue to be dependent on the former core, and the chances of the former peripheries’ joining together to balance against the core or even to cooperate with one another to be small. With all these structural forces in place, the complete reestablishment of empire is highly probable.

Empire is also possible if a powerful core confronts well-endowed peripheries, but we have no way to determine the degree of possibility. Depending on how powerful the core is and how advanced decay was, we can imagine a range of outcomes, from the core’s dominating the periphery to both sides’ being involved in continual tugging and pulling to their coexisting in the form of a commonwealth.

Territorial continuity, and especially contiguity, is another facilitating condition of both partial and complete revival. Postimperial borders are likely to be administrative demarcations and not real boundaries marking off one territory and one set of political and economic institutions from others. As a result, a more or less seamless web of institutions should continue to span borders. As the core will have penetrated the periphery with its institutions in imperial times, we expect the core’s economic activities, social norms, and political practices to have disseminated and perhaps taken root. Peripheral institutions and conventions may also have made some headway into the core. Institutional penetration and interpenetration translate into an intermingling of populations, at least along the administrative border between core and periphery, with inhabitants of the periphery likely to settle in the core and inhabitants of the core likely to settle in the periphery, where they can serve as agents of the empire as well.

- Imperial Ends

Alright so here’s what stands out to me:

These dipshit emigres and Westerners looting the poo poo out of THEE Ukraine actually made Russia reasserting itself much more likely! Geographically contiguous, disputed borders at partition, linguistic minorities - and then they looted the country making it the weak periphery!

On the spectrum between a Russia-oriented independent country, a Commonwealth like suggested with Belarus, or an even more unequal relationship all seem more likely than Ukraine being in the rival US/EU/NATO world system because of the Shock Therapy they did to Ukraine.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OhFunny posted:

They may

Yet again, all I can do at this point is laugh.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tankbuster posted:

Wasn't the US containment policy explicitly based around containing CHYNA?

Obama got embarrassed by what happened with Georgia.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

On the spectrum between a Russia-oriented independent country, a Commonwealth like suggested with Belarus, or an even more unequal relationship all seem more likely than Ukraine being in the rival US/EU/NATO world system because of the Shock Therapy they did to Ukraine.

I mean at this point Ukraine looks like a US puppet government being propped up with guns and money. The difference when compared to middle east is the external threat instead of internal. Although there is also an internal threat.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
why would you impose the sanctions that were meant to operate as an explicit threat to punish an invasion before the invasion? it isn’t much of a deterrent at that point

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1494808254068801544?s=20&t=HJyXj7r1YhSqKZbVO-i0-w
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1494818324491948037?s=20&t=HJyXj7r1YhSqKZbVO-i0-w

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Torpor posted:

why would you impose sanctions meant to operate as an explicit threat to punish an invasion before the invasion? it isn’t much of a deterrent at that point

they're throwing a tantrum because they can't bomb russians since they'll shoot back

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Frosted Flake posted:

When France eventually recovered from the Napoleonic Wars, say 30 years on, were there people furious that France regain its standing? Serious question, because Great Nations nearly always bounce back.

I’m just confused about their position here. This is a world of their own making.

Tzar Nicholas I of Russia freaked out in 1830 when the July Revolution happened and toppled the Barbons again and set about to contain France because he feared a renewed European wide war against a second Revolutionary France.

He was shocked when Britain refused to join such an effort.

I suppose that's not a great 1:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

I mean at this point Ukraine looks like a US puppet government being propped up with guns and money. The difference when compared to middle east is the external threat instead of internal. Although there is also an internal threat.

The thing is, the US is a decaying empire and yet another commitment… I mean, it’s hilarious like I said. They had 30 years and they blew it. No one forced them into the GWOT or the response to the Great Recession.

Which makes Biden and the punditry class response even weirder. Instead of stopping the bleeding, they’re lashing out. They’re no resolving any of the internal causes of US decay.