Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

ShadowedFlames posted:

3.5 hours in, at Chainscrape. Playing Performance Mode because I don’t have a fancy 4K TV.

Need to get my muscle memory back but I’m loving this so far.

Also thank the Fates for custom remapped controls, moving dodge to Square instead of O has been a huge help for me so far.

I have a fancy 4k OLED tv. Performance mode is required unless you want to get sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
resolution mode is incredible i actually find the performance mode a bit bizarre, it feels like aloys being fast forwarded against a background moving slightly slower than her. idk im probably just not used to 60fps since i always favor resolution over performance.

game's gorgeous. the character modeling and conversations are SO loving GOOD. holy poo poo, i could just play a version of this where you just hang around town talking to people. brief tate appearance! . and aloy's still a total dick to priests.

oh and they blessedly let you reduce the amt of poo poo on the HUD.

GTOY

Riven posted:

The whole intro mission is an exploration of the Far Zenith headquarters. It starts aspirational, and quickly devolves into “we, the elites, have ruined this world, so why stay on it? Come with us into space and leave the plebs to die lol!” Then they murder all the non-elites helping them. Nobody sympathetic died when the ship blew up.

this ruled. i love that they loving lead with a Musk own.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 19, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HampHamp posted:

So I think I may have a bug, can anyone tell me if the stitcher (outfits) guy in Chainscrape is accessible from the start? There's an icon above his head, he's visible on the map, but I don't get an interact prompt and have never been able to speak to him. I'm quite early on, just killed the machines in the quarry.

I just rolled up there myself and see the same thing, I guess it'll open up later.

e: yup, just keep going a bit more and merchants unlock

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 19, 2022

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
A quick little HUD question: Is it possible to have the option to disappear the HUB while keeping the scavenging markers on at all times? I like the say the game look but I hate click R3 every 5 seconds but the full hud is a bit sluttered especially with the quest tracker.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm playing the PS5 version in quality mode, does anyone else have some weird micro-lag/stutter during cutscenes when camera cuts from scene to scene? It's not terrible but it's a bit distracting.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got the big gently caress off regalla edition and am installing now, where do I pick up my DLC outfits, do they just show up in my inventory

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Kawabata posted:

I'm playing the PS5 version in quality mode, does anyone else have some weird micro-lag/stutter during cutscenes when camera cuts from scene to scene? It's not terrible but it's a bit distracting.

Getting the same in perf mode. Doesn't always happen but it's often enough to notice

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got the big gently caress off regalla edition and am installing now, where do I pick up my DLC outfits, do they just show up in my inventory

This usually means one of the SSD flux capacitors is out. Send it in.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Performance in general just doesn't seem that great after playing the first one on pc a few days ago. I'll mess around with this some more but will probably wait for some patches to begin in earnest. At least ER comes out next week. Maybe I'm asking too much of what the ps5 can do.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Five hours in on the PS5 version and I've been loving it. Highlights so far:

- protagonist is an interesting and complicated woman; obvious point but still incredibly important to me;
- the facial expressions and body language during cutscenes and gameplay are absolutely fantastic. You can feel what these characters are feeling - it's closer to watching a film than I've ever seen in a game before;
- combat feels fluid and satisfying, have already had a number of emergent experiences where the game just let me run with an idea and it worked;
- side quests are fun and remind me of The Witcher 3, which is obviously a good thing, we'll see if they outstay their welcome;
- I like the Uncharted-style vertical movement 'puzzles' but I can see it *maybe* getting a bit overplayed if they use it too much, again we will see;
- the scenery is stunning;
- I spent a good five minutes running around in some Amazon frogbit to watch it float about while my companion yelled at me about the corpse he'd found; game of the year for botanical content imho

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

This usually means one of the SSD flux capacitors is out. Send it in.

what are you talking about

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After the first game hunter trials I just adored the first one being one with the opportunity to complete flex on it. Oh 90 second for the best rewards? (Scans map) ok let’s go. *poo poo explodes* 16 seconds. Done. gently caress you gimme a badge.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

isk posted:

Getting the same in perf mode. Doesn't always happen but it's often enough to notice

Yeah. Big, fast moving actions scenes seem to be the worst offenders. I was reading the support thread on reddit and other people are noticing it. It's not actually a stutter though, it's like a freezing/hanging frame just before it cuts to the next shot, it's maybe 0.1, 0.2 of a second but it kind of makes the scene look choppy.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm playing on a PS4Pro on a 27" 1080p monitor. Don't even have Qual/Perf option but been running/looking great. Sure I'd love 60 frames but can't fuckin find a PS5 anywhere so yea

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Five hours in on the PS5 version and I've been loving it. Highlights so far:

- protagonist is an interesting and complicated woman; obvious point but still incredibly important to me;
- the facial expressions and body language during cutscenes and gameplay are absolutely fantastic. You can feel what these characters are feeling - it's closer to watching a film than I've ever seen in a game before;
- combat feels fluid and satisfying, have already had a number of emergent experiences where the game just let me run with an idea and it worked;
- side quests are fun and remind me of The Witcher 3, which is obviously a good thing, we'll see if they outstay their welcome;
- I like the Uncharted-style vertical movement 'puzzles' but I can see it *maybe* getting a bit overplayed if they use it too much, again we will see;
- the scenery is stunning;
- I spent a good five minutes running around in some Amazon frogbit to watch it float about while my companion yelled at me about the corpse he'd found; game of the year for botanical content imho

Is it more only being able to climb highlighted ledges poo poo that was old and tired 10 years ago?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dpulex posted:

Is it more only being able to climb highlighted ledges poo poo that was old and tired 10 years ago?

Yes it is.

Luckily you can select in options to highlight all the handholds. I loving hate AssCreed/Uncharted climbing

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Dpulex posted:

You can only climb places that are highlighted in the Focus pulse, or rather, the pulse highlights where you can climb, but honestly it hasn't felt limiting so far, even out in the open world. Set piece puzzles are not always obvious, either, so you still need to stop and have a look around, which I appreciate from the role play and immersion aspect, although of course your mileage may vary. It isn't BOTW, but nor does it feel artificially constrained relative to the obvious landscape in front of you, if that makes sense. It *could* overstay its welcome but I am too early in the game to say.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't outright hate this general style of climbing, but finding/following the path is never my favorite part of a game. I can definitely understand why they make it more directed than BotW, but I don't have a good idea of how to make it significantly better. I do appreciate the constant highlighting option, at least that takes out some of the frustration (especially since it seems like some of the climbing indicators blend into the background a lot more than I remember).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CuriousSymptoms posted:

You can only climb places that are highlighted in the Focus pulse, or rather, the pulse highlights where you can climb, but honestly it hasn't felt limiting so far, even out in the open world. Set piece puzzles are not always obvious, either, so you still need to stop and have a look around, which I appreciate from the role play and immersion aspect, although of course your mileage may vary. It isn't BOTW, but nor does it feel artificially constrained relative to the obvious landscape in front of you, if that makes sense. It *could* overstay its welcome but I am too early in the game to say.

Compared to the first one, it feels a bit more expanded. It’s still limited in the sense that you can’t free climb anywhere but on the areas where you’re meant to climb, there’s usually a few routes and the cliff walls are wide enough (in terms of climbing space) that I never feels like you’re climbing a single fixed line. Hell, it sometimes pays off to just take the long ways since there’s gathering resources on the cliff themselves (dyes and such). You still have the aesthetic choice of yellow paint/highlights on ruins but when you’re climbing a natural rock formation it’s more loose. The focus highlights are good to get me started but I haven’t felt the need for them outside of looking for where I can start climbing.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Auto-sprint is a bit busted. Seems to mess with interaction prompts, does not apply to swimming, and hoo boy mounts are very stop-and-go with it. Might end up turning this off despite loving it in Returnal.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Absolutely loving the game so far. I’m still in Chainscrape, I’ve been taking things slow and doing every side quest/errand I come across. Resolution mode all the way, it looks way better than performance on a 4K TV and it feels like a very stable 30 fps.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eyud posted:

Absolutely loving the game so far. I’m still in Chainscrape, I’ve been taking things slow and doing every side quest/errand I come across. Resolution mode all the way, it looks way better than performance on a 4K TV and it feels like a very stable 30 fps.

Yeah I'm enjoying resolution mode. It feels like you spend 75% of your time talking to people or travelling and 50% of combat is slow motion.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wait 4k on the PS5 is 30 fps?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
After I do a quest:
Aloy: "hm it seems that"
<Press x to rappel> [x]
Aloy stops talking.

Also, as I approach a settlement:

Aloy: oh this must be
<Cutscene starts>

Lots of being interrupted by herself or other people.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's what happens when she wont shut up.

Curse of the chatty character, happened all the time in Guardians of the Galaxy

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Noticed that I needed a ton of wire for upgrades, then noticed how knocking off storage containers on just about everything before killing robots gives you a huge drop rate, changed up my tactics and am swimming in it now. Game is good.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Not the greatest on PS4, runs smooth enough, but since most of us can't get a 5 it's worth buying!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barreft posted:

Wait 4k on the PS5 is 30 fps?

Yeah 60fps is upscaled. It still looks good obvs but so much of the game is looking at things or talking poo poo so it's nice having everything in native res.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

redreader posted:

After I do a quest:
Aloy: "hm it seems that"
<Press x to rappel> [x]
Aloy stops talking.

Also, as I approach a settlement:

Aloy: oh this must be
<Cutscene starts>

Lots of being interrupted by herself or other people.

Yeah this has happened… a lot to me so far. Feels like there should be a way to resume interrupted dialogue. Anyways, I just (post first area) climbed my first tallneck and revealed the next chunk of the map and H O L Y S H I T. I’ve spend all day in the first are and this next chunk revealed by a single tallneck is like 4x its size. I’m going to waste SO MUCH TIME exploring all of this before moving on to the next mission.

Quick possible spoiler question: I’m assuming there’s an unlimited fast travel item in this game, same as last. Can someone further out let me know (in spoilers if needed) a vague answer on where/when would I get it? Is it strictly story mission based or could I potentially get to it earlier by exploring? A vague answer will do, it’s not like the fast travel consumables are rare or expensive.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 19, 2022

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, I absolutely forgot that the PS4 controller can do that motion aiming thing

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
nm misread!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Am I missing something or does the shredder/boomerang thing just suck? I can't think of a niche it fills in combat and you'd expect it to do damage longer before it returns to you

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone purchased a PS5 disc version? Curious if it installs the game from the disc or just uses the disc as a key. Trying to avoid a 100gb download since Xfinity has data caps here.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

a kitten posted:

Wow, I absolutely forgot that the PS4 controller can do that motion aiming thing

yah motion aiming at fine points owns

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anybody else wonder why Aloy doesn’t get hella rope burn when she slides down a grapple at 30 mph?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man it's a purty game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Does anybody else wonder why Aloy doesn’t get hella rope burn when she slides down a grapple at 30 mph?

It's canon that her hands are absolutely hosed up with callouses.

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

Does the free PS5 upgrade work in all regions?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

loving hell, does this game look good on PS5.

Niwrad posted:

Has anyone purchased a PS5 disc version? Curious if it installs the game from the disc or just uses the disc as a key. Trying to avoid a 100gb download since Xfinity has data caps here.
I did, and it installs from the disc (there is an update it downloaded as well, not sure what the size of it was).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Mrs sarcastx has been dying to play this game (having played her way through literally everything the first and the expansion packs had to offer). I've been watching from the sidelines, holy poo poo does it look wonderful on PS5 (out-of-box defaults which I guess are quality mode, it's 30fps).

the pop-in/texture/resource loading and frame pacing/stalling issues on cutscene camera swaps are absolutely jarring and I'm honestly a bit shocked they released it like this

e: gonna look at moving my PS5 to another location, maybe it's not getting enough airflow and it's throttling or something.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 19, 2022