Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I agree the bugs are dumbass lying dicks, but I still felt bad for Judomaster. Everyone treats him poorly and even though he can whoop some rear end, I can see why he’d throw in with a group that offers an alternative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

i am a moron posted:

I agree the bugs are dumbass lying dicks, but I still felt bad for Judomaster. Everyone treats him poorly and even though he can whoop some rear end, I can see why he’d throw in with a group that offers an alternative

His KIAI will carry him thru to next season. I hope they bring him back because he is a great foil to the group.

DING DONG BITCHES

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

His KIAI will carry him thru to next season. I hope they bring him back because he is a great foil to the group.

DING DONG BITCHES

Imagine if instead of "ding dong bitches" he actually tried to explain what the butterflies were doing. Maybe Judomaster was the real villain all along...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Imagine if instead of "ding dong bitches" he actually tried to explain what the butterflies were doing. Maybe Judomaster was the real villain all along...

Dude wasn't there for a conversation. Someone had to answer for that bullet hole in his chest.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I bet he would have stopped fighting if someone had crinkled a bag.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
economos breaking his leg with exposed bone is my favorite gag.

I really liked how the season wrapped up and would've been fine if this was a one-off season special. The great thing about Suicide Squad/Peacemaker has been the goofy, esoteric characters in the DC universe. Hopefully the tone keeps up next season and we can see more of matter-eater lad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jabronie posted:

economos breaking his leg with exposed bone is my favorite gag.

His "What the FUCCKKKK!!?!?" because he literally only tripped over a low to the ground bit of fence and it did THAT to him was hilarious.

Made it all the way into and out of the barn safely, escaped a horde of Butterflies, then snaps his leg on a fence board :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This really was a completely unexpected show, huh? Gag villain from a blockbuster film played by John Cena and a few background characters get a TV show that turns him into one of the most popular new superheroes with record-breaking ratings, solidifying Cena’s career as an actor. And most of it is improv comedy dialogue interspersed with gory action set to hair metal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Ghost Dad helped him find the sonic boom helmet that Eagley dropped. Levitation helmet floated up into the atmosphere and probably floats there still

Oh, duh I loved that whole gag too, not sure why I forgot lol.

Dawgstar posted:

I don't know about you but I'm somewhat unwilling to take the word of an alien bug that would burrow into some kid's brain, killing said kid and then pilot the body around like a tiny man in Voltron without a second thought's word on what it has to say about the greater good.

Ya keep saying kids like that gets a pass on an intergalactic scale. Look a kid is a human that'll grow up to be just as bad as anyone else and the difference between a kid and an adult is super important for intra-human morality and laws but come on we aren't ;_; about baby chicks getting fuckin mulched into ex-chicken mush because them boys ain't lay eggs who needs em. We aren't concerned about letting the innocent chicks turn up into adult chickens before we decide if they are good ones or bad ones. Just saying, when it comes to species versus species "think of the children" isn't really applicable although obviously that's still a better angle than "think of the bastards."

More importantly, if human biology included this voltron feature, you absolutely must admit that we would totally be doing that to anything and each other all the time, half our history would be about body-takeovers and the other half would be periods of people really swerving hard away from the voltronning. Like, think of our monkey slaves, think of how much better a monkey slave worker would be if you took a child laborer and had them bore into the monkey's brain.

Phylodox posted:

No, sorry, you don’t get a do-over because you hosed up your own planet. If you crash your car, you don’t get to just take mine because “Now I know better, trust me, bro!”

Well, in this analogy you are also actively driving yourself into a disaster with everyone else on the bus, but yeah this is where my pro-life values run into the realities of their setting. I'm not a Human Supremacist (and more specifically all of our governments are really bad right now and also in all history mostly) so I'm always willing to hop on board and support whichever lifeform seems to have the best successes of solving the universe, but in this case we have two species both equally terrible at managing a planet with a similar disrespect for lifeforms that aren't themselves or immediately of resource use to them.

The appropriate thing to do would be to hold a vote and use democracy to solve the conflict. Write off the cops and "innocents" killed just like we do with the most murders we don't bother solving, or any of the other casual incidents of mass death with no reckoning whatsoever, can't act all precious about life now, you'll look like a hypocrite with the election coming up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Oh, duh I loved that whole gag too, not sure why I forgot lol.

Ya keep saying kids like that gets a pass on an intergalactic scale. Look a kid is a human that'll grow up to be just as bad as anyone else and the difference between a kid and an adult is super important for intra-human morality and laws but come on we aren't ;_; about baby chicks getting fuckin mulched into ex-chicken mush because them boys ain't lay eggs who needs em. We aren't concerned about letting the innocent chicks turn up into adult chickens before we decide if they are good ones or bad ones. Just saying, when it comes to species versus species "think of the children" isn't really applicable although obviously that's still a better angle than "think of the bastards."

More importantly, if human biology included this voltron feature, you absolutely must admit that we would totally be doing that to anything and each other all the time, half our history would be about body-takeovers and the other half would be periods of people really swerving hard away from the voltronning. Like, think of our monkey slaves, think of how much better a monkey slave worker would be if you took a child laborer and had them bore into the monkey's brain.

Well, in this analogy you are also actively driving yourself into a disaster with everyone else on the bus, but yeah this is where my pro-life values run into the realities of their setting. I'm not a Human Supremacist (and more specifically all of our governments are really bad right now and also in all history mostly) so I'm always willing to hop on board and support whichever lifeform seems to have the best successes of solving the universe, but in this case we have two species both equally terrible at managing a planet with a similar disrespect for lifeforms that aren't themselves or immediately of resource use to them.

The appropriate thing to do would be to hold a vote and use democracy to solve the conflict. Write off the cops and "innocents" killed just like we do with the most murders we don't bother solving, or any of the other casual incidents of mass death with no reckoning whatsoever, can't act all precious about life now, you'll look like a hypocrite with the election coming up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TIL, sometimes you gotta kill some kids

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Yeah but they lost, so who gives a poo poo?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Well now I hate the show. gently caress Gunn for making this possible.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hmmm…well that wasn’t funny

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Hmmm…well that wasn’t funny

That is exactly what the dialogue was.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

I mean it's not as if what we have now is better.

I just want to live in a world that won't end with us all dying screaming.

You realize that literally everyone who get butterflied (which would probably eventually be everyone) dies screaming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's also a reason it's hard to feel bad about the people who got butterfly'd. Really, yall ain't know how to chomp? Thing is literally putting it's little weakass bug head right in your gaping lion's maw with your teeth & jaw that can bite through a human finger. Oh is the bug too ooky to bite it, get over it dude in some cultures it's a delicacy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

UnoriginalMind posted:

There's also zero guarantee that the butterflies would do any better. They already screwed it up once. Who's to say they won't do it again? And what gives them the right to do so?

Beside the ethical point and more to world building, I mean, in the DC universe, there's all sorts of super science that could save the world.

Plus, if we're talking about narrative reasons the butterflies were doomed, the Justice League arrived right after their defeat. If Peacemaker's team would have failed, I imagine they'd have finished it up for them after putting the pieces together.

The thing that makes me doubt the butterflies' ultimate commitment is really the sex bit in the first episode. There's no real aspect of "serving The Plan" there. Butterfly girl saw Chris as a big ol' piece of human beefcake and wanted to cut herself a slice of it.

Human bodies are sensual. They can enjoy sex. And fast cars. And airplanes. And central heating and air conditioning. Cloning is a thing on Earth. So that cow can be cloned, giving the butterflies indefinite time on Earth. However committed they might start out, I think the butterflies eventually get corrupted into being just another part of the power structure - just a part that eats human brains out to run the bodies like flesh robots.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's also interesting how they ultimately had Peacemaker prove he was a POS villain willing to go to violent extremes to favor his preferred in-group, like his father, by having him violate his own already flimsy moral limits. He was always willing to kill as many men, women, and children as he needed to get peace, but killing an innocent animal like the cow shows he really has no real limits or values, just kills based on how he's feeling in the moment like a cop and he's always going to back whoever he considers his blue.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Khanstant posted:

It's also interesting how they ultimately had Peacemaker prove he was a POS villain willing to go to violent extremes to protect his preferred in-group, like his father, by having him violate his own already flimsy moral limits. He was always willing to kill as many men, women, and children as he needed to get peace, but killing an innocent animal like the cow shows he really has no real limits or values, just kills based on how he's feeling in the moment like a cop and he's always going to back whoever he considers his blue.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Shut down this thread till Season 2 please

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

This really was a completely unexpected show, huh? Gag villain from a blockbuster film played by John Cena and a few background characters get a TV show that turns him into one of the most popular new superheroes with record-breaking ratings, solidifying Cena’s career as an actor. And most of it is improv comedy dialogue interspersed with gory action set to hair metal.

Also the series is best when has the bits like Peacemaker doing his dancing to 80s rock hits while using a vibrator as a microphone.

The show sucked most when it tries to be profound like with the cheesy cow decision scene.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I feel that the question of if the butterflies had good intentions is a different question to could the butterflies achieve their goals.

To me, the ending was just supposed to reflect Peacemaker's arc. The butterflies suffered a collective trauma, and are now trying to give that trauma a higher purpose, to give meaning to their grief. However, like Peacemaker, they have latched onto attempting to change human nature through sheer force, peace through violence, no matter the cost. They want a do-over, but there's no indication that they have any idea how to get there. The butterflies don't really seem to have much respect for humans, and can't work out why someone would dye their beard. I don't think they're meaningfully navigating geopolitics or reshaping the world economy anytime soon.

Peacemaker no longer blames himself for his brother's death, has avenged his brother, and has renounced the vow he took. His identity is no longer tied to that moment. Through the butterflies he has been able to kill his old self, and it ends with him as Christopher Smith. He gets a fresh start, and can still work towards peace if he wants, just without the blinkers on.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Can't wait for season 2 where Vig is stuck in some death trap and Peacemaker dive bombs out of the sky while holding a dinky pocket fan behind him

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Khanstant posted:

That's also a reason it's hard to feel bad about the people who got butterfly'd. Really, yall ain't know how to chomp? Thing is literally putting it's little weakass bug head right in your gaping lion's maw with your teeth & jaw that can bite through a human finger. Oh is the bug too ooky to bite it, get over it dude in some cultures it's a delicacy.

This is the only thing you've said that isn't rambling insanity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ubik_Lives posted:

I feel that the question of if the butterflies had good intentions is a different question to could the butterflies achieve their goals.

To me, the ending was just supposed to reflect Peacemaker's arc. The butterflies suffered a collective trauma, and are now trying to give that trauma a higher purpose, to give meaning to their grief. However, like Peacemaker, they have latched onto attempting to change human nature through sheer force, peace through violence, no matter the cost. They want a do-over, but there's no indication that they have any idea how to get there. The butterflies don't really seem to have much respect for humans, and can't work out why someone would dye their beard. I don't think they're meaningfully navigating geopolitics or reshaping the world economy anytime soon.

Peacemaker no longer blames himself for his brother's death, has avenged his brother, and has renounced the vow he took. His identity is no longer tied to that moment. Through the butterflies he has been able to kill his old self, and it ends with him as Christopher Smith. He gets a fresh start, and can still work towards peace if he wants, just without the blinkers on.

This is pretty obviously exactly what was intended by Gunn if you’re not a goon radicalized into ecofascism. Adebayo outright says it, we get poignant flashbacks on specific words.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i'm not an ecofascist, would an ecofascist pay for this website every ear? http://www.fuckearth.org/

I'm just a very normal guy asking the questions They're scared of us answering.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I laughed at the lyrics "What's going up must come down / And baby you're losing ground" as Peacemaker falls down a literal hole. Retroactively makes the opening theme song the setup to a sight gag in the last episode. That's structure!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Shageletic posted:

TIL, sometimes you gotta kill some kids

thats literally how our society operates

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Everyone posted:

The thing that makes me doubt the butterflies' ultimate commitment is really the sex bit in the first episode. There's no real aspect of "serving The Plan" there. Butterfly girl saw Chris as a big ol' piece of human beefcake and wanted to cut herself a slice of it.

Human bodies are sensual. They can enjoy sex. And fast cars. And airplanes. And central heating and air conditioning. Cloning is a thing on Earth. So that cow can be cloned, giving the butterflies indefinite time on Earth. However committed they might start out, I think the butterflies eventually get corrupted into being just another part of the power structure - just a part that eats human brains out to run the bodies like flesh robots.

I hadn't thought about this. After all, she only knew because he left the dossier out. Interesting to think about.

Ubik_Lives posted:

I agree with this 100%. The ending works really well on a thematic and character based level. And it built up slowly with more and more flashbacks of his trauma. I thought that gave the show better pacing and weight.

Whether it does or not as a moral or ethic one depends on other things entirely. Still haven't thought about it enough. Only finished it today.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The butterflies were completely and totally defeated by a group of five total fuckup humans with no superpowers. And Eagly.

Given they couldn't overcome even this slight resistance, they had no plausible way of overcoming institutional power.

Perhaps the butterflies would have been successful if - instead of attempting an autocratic takeover and acting as literal parasites upon the working class- they had joined forces with humanity as equals to usher in a dictatorship of the proletariat.

Sadly their bourgeois nature - exemplified by their disdain for measures which would improve the lives of the general populace (populism) was their downfall, and caused the deaths of hundreds of innocents and also some cops.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You don't have to keep this act up for the next year or however long it takes season two to come up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah but i can have some fun for a couple of pages at least, right? have some fun talkin tv that aight?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

The butterflies were completely and totally defeated by a group of five total fuckup humans with no superpowers. And Eagly.

Eehhh, magic helmets played a pretty major role in things. From saving PM at the end of ep1 to the whole final conflict at the barn.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And really we need to put quotes around "no powers" since we're definitely in the Batman territory where Peacemaker and Vigilante are so good at loving people up it might as well count as a superpower

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Blockhouse posted:

And really we need to put quotes around "no powers" since we're definitely in the Batman territory where Peacemaker and Vigilante are so good at loving people up it might as well count as a superpower

don't forget Adebayo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol it's wild that Steve Agee's first bts tour is Cena's double, the rigging board op, the first team PA, and the key PA. PAs rarely get interviewed, but the rigging board op is almost as rare an encounter for an actor as with the costume dept coordinator or the teamster DoT compliance coordinator. They must have kicked EPK off the shooting stage for being too disruptive lol.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, I mean they stay pretty much true to the movie in that his aim is perfect, and he's an expert in all weapons.

It does make me wonder though, with the whole "smaller bullet" thing in Suicide Squad, did that scene imply they BOTH had superpowered aiming skills to hit each others bullets, or was only Bloodsport aiming to do that so it's actually just him that has Deadshot-level impossible skill and Peacemaker is just really good?