Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flatluigi posted:

criticizing media seems so much easier when you don't bother to experience the work first

Am i wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tunicate posted:

Am i wrong?

do you even care?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
What does it matter? The game's free, so you shouldn't be playing it anyway.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 18, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Brothers: A Tale of Zero Dollars

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Oldstench posted:

What does it matter? The game's free, so you shouldn't be paying it anyway.

Has a point. Hope Brothers wasn't on your backlog or wishlist because you are no longer legally allowed to play it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I installed and launched Nioh, which I got for free at some point. Sorry, friends. I only played it for like 5 minutes.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Free Games: Do not pay, do not play, write 10 posts about why you won't play

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tunicate posted:

Am i wrong?

Yes and you suck too.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

flatluigi posted:

criticizing media seems so much easier when you don't bother to experience the work first

I got in trouble in my high school English class for complaining about how The Lottery was going to end because my teacher was adamant I couldn't have predicted the obvious plot twist and must have secretly already read it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rodbeard posted:

I got in trouble in my high school English class for complaining about how The Lottery was going to end because my teacher was adamant I couldn't have predicted the obvious plot twist and must have secretly already read it

this is exactly what i mean, you're judging a work based on the predictability of its 'plot twist' and not, like, everything else. something can be entirely what it appears to be on its surface and still have inherent worth in how it gets there or how it illustrates a point or a metaphor

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

flatluigi posted:

this is exactly what i mean, you're judging a work based on the predictability of its 'plot twist' and not, like, everything else. something can be entirely what it appears to be on its surface and still have inherent worth in how it gets there or how it illustrates a point or a metaphor

NO. Everything must be new, always! That's the only way it can be good!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Personally I experience media like a child turning the crank on a jack in the box, and become upset if the clown that pops out fails to surprise me

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
to bring it back to the game in question: brothers a tale of two sons (plot and ending spoilers) does involve the loss of one of the brothers, but the entire way the game is set up really makes the loss feel weight as you play the game with each brother being represented by half of your controller. you feel the loss immediately, and eventually the surviving brother gets strong enough to push past (represented by using the other half of the controller again).

it works well, imo, and is worth the time it takes to play the game

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I've read Crime and Punishment and it was like a Columbo episode for kids, I instantly knew they'd catch that dumb guy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Brothers: Excellently written garbage story

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

All this talk of Brothers has made me want to play it, but I got it for free, do I have to buy it and play it on a different system? It's $3 on switch right now. Would that be ok, or am i just banned from ever playing it?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Has a point. Hope Brothers wasn't on your backlog or wishlist because you are no longer legally allowed to play it.

I don't want to play it but I do want to break the law. this is a conundrum

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

RodShaft posted:

All this talk of Brothers has made me want to play it, but I got it for free, do I have to buy it and play it on a different system? It's $3 on switch right now. Would that be ok, or am i just banned from ever playing it?

Spending money is an even greater crime.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Am i wrong?

You must be a real hoot at parties.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flatluigi posted:

hey if you like that particular story formula that's great for you

it's like marvel movies, some people like seeing the same formula executed again and again, others can't stand it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's a bad example for your point because that proves that there can be a wildly varying degree of quality even within the same formula.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a bad example for your point because that proves that there can be a wildly varying degree of quality even within the same formula.

I mean, there's a reason he used that example.
It's because his argument is poo poo. :ssh:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure, but someone who doesn't like marvel superhero movies because they're tired of formulaic movies that follow Save The Cat's beat sheet isn't really going to care about whether they're being offered a 'good' or 'bad' marvel movie about a guy in costume fighting a villain with the same powers that follows Save The Cat's beat sheet.

So, what makes Brothers better than other melodramas of the same type? Does the writing have really well-written prose or dialogue with strong character voices? Or does it have a fantastic soundtrack?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's a chore to play, with the controls purposefully obtuse, and morose.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

It's a chore to play, with the controls purposefully obtuse, and morose.

Katamari Damacy?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

RodShaft posted:

Katamari Damacy?

that's_bait.gif

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I will download a game for free and play it.

You cannot stop me.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Breetai posted:

You cannot stop me.

stick it to em brother

play game, do crime

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't see the point in even attempting to discuss the quality of a game no one's even going to play.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I have played free games before and will do it again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tunicate posted:

So, what makes Brothers better than other melodramas of the same type?

Maybe nothing, maybe everything, but deciding you know everything about the story and quality therein without playing the game yourself is big farthuffer bullshit.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 19, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Breetai posted:

You cannot stop me.

no one cares if you pirate stuff.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Breetai posted:

I have played free games before and will do it again.

M-mods!?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

BTB was a nice surprise when I joined this stupid gay Photoshop website instead of fark or worth1000 :filez:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Tell that to my ISP

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Large Testicles posted:

Tell that to my ISP

Is this still a thing in some countries?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Pararoid posted:

Is this still a thing in some countries?

Yes the united states.

I was using my ps4 at my mom's house and i opened the web browser for some reason. As soon as i did, charter hijacked it to notify me that there had been a copyright strike and even told me the name of the pirated game though I've since forgotten.

I asked about it and they said one of their guests had torrented it the other day and they were pretty surprised that i knew about it

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The games are free but the VPN isn't.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

titties posted:

Yes the united states.

I was using my ps4 at my mom's house and i opened the web browser for some reason. As soon as i did, charter hijacked it to notify me that there had been a copyright strike and even told me the name of the pirated game though I've since forgotten.

I asked about it and they said one of their guests had torrented it the other day and they were pretty surprised that i knew about it

Crazy. Are there any good ISPs, or is that just an across the board policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Pararoid posted:

Crazy. Are there any good ISPs, or is that just an across the board policy?

For the last 20 years there have been like 2 ISP's max for any given locality and they consistently suck equally. Now it's the same except there's google fiber maybe or starlink I guess if you're stupid or live in the boonies?