Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How does Nurgle's towns work? The label that says that it kills the town after a while has me nervous

Playing as Korne, it's certainly less versatile than Chaos Undivided but honestly there are just too many units in CU. The infantry has a lot of overlap and it's confusing to put an army together. Yes I'm a big baby that doesn't want to learn the roles of a whole extra 20 units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Chaos realms own pretty hard and the portals are a much better implementation of the Vortex invasions. I'm talking like 2 armies came out over 8 turns as I casually closed all the portals across 5 provinces. Also again the realms are cool as hell and I hope they're in IE as just an excuse to get into fights for crazy good loot and/or teleport across the globe.

I went to my first one and since Meow tied Kairos' heads into a knot and kicked his rear end back into the antarctic by turn 20 I had his secretly good defeat trait, basically a flat 15% ward save vs Tzeentch armies if they're still up, I went into Tzeentch realm. Then I made an error in judgement trying to figure out how the sigil reveal works(camera zooms to the one it reveals, doesn't reveal it's mate, I killed some extra meatballbird 5 stacks, etc) and Greasus did a downhill sonic spin past me. I figured picking a fight with a neighboring Str 8 to my Str 2 was risky as I was still mopping up chaos, throwing out the last of the Skaven and Greenskins and expecting action on the wall to pick up.

Then he got the god drat Soul 1-2 turns ahead of me. I was also hoping Kairos would bother him, being on top of him and all, but he took a wrong warp or vanished into the auto-resolve nether.

I dropped 2 negative traits in 2 turns, 50% a turn is pretty good odds since you can use the same time to replenish and remake your army. I've remade my army. And confedded every Cathay faction except for Zhao, who'll come to me in time or a sufficiently huge bribe. My walls are T4 and my starting capital is T5. It's really good that I'm actively courting my neighbors and getting rewards for doing so instead of just trying to stockholm syndrome my 1-2 largest bordering neighbors into giving me buffer space. For the first time in 57 turns Tzeentch did something burdensome to me instead of to themselves, laffo. I guess those Norscan stacks are a bit more serious now, though I effectively have a 40 waiting on each gate.

Greasus you took my quest objective so I'm going to take your loving kingdom.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CuddleCryptid posted:

How does Nurgle's towns work? The label that says that it kills the town after a while has me nervous

Playing as Korne, it's certainly less versatile than Chaos Undivided but honestly there are just too many units in CU. The infantry has a lot of overlap and it's confusing to put an army together. Yes I'm a big baby that doesn't want to learn the roles of a whole extra 20 units.

Here's some basic summaries of a lot of the important units:

Chaff units:
-Blue Horrors are terrible in melee trash fodder that have a marginally decent short ranged missile weapon with low ammo.
-Nurglings are much more durable fodder that basically exists as a tarpit, which they're good at being.

Basic line daemons(the exalted ones are literally the same as the normal ones but better in every way):
-Bloodletters are ridiculously killy anti-infantry, but are fragile.
-Daemonettes are super fast(for infantry), have almost entirely armor piercing damage, and have devastating flanker so they're great can openers/flankers. Also fragile.
-Plaguebearers are ridiculously slow and don't kill well at all but are ridiculously tanky.
-Pink Horrors are pretty decent missile troops that have okay melee stats in a pinch.

Cavalry:
-Bloodcrushers are bloodletter cavalry and do the same thing as bloodletters do - turn infantry into paste.
-Seekers of Slaanesh are super duper fast devastating flanker cav with tons of AP.
-Plague Toads are cheap Nurgle anti-infantry cav(though they're not very fast) that are pretty tanky.

Misc:
-Flamers of Tzeentch are warpfire throwers/irondrakes from TWW2 on ten tons of crack. Fragile, but they will turn units into puddles of goo in one of two volleys.
-Fiends of Slaanesh work kind of like Chaos Spawn if Chaos Spawn moved at the speed of light and had devastating flanker.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

re: negative trait recovery, apparently the anti-skaven buildings also add that functionality and I'm not sure if it stacks with province capital effects?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Game owns, most of my problems are stuff that's gonna be balanced away (please rebalance Tzeentch oh god even when its a fight in my advantage it's an unfun nightmare where I end up taking way more casualties than I should) or bugfixed away.

Only real parts that make me grumble are the Tzeentch realm (islands too narrow and small to avoid the constantly respawning Tzeentch stacks, which combined with the aforementioned bullshit that is that faction right now and that the puzzle basically requires you to spend a lot of time jumping island to island unless you luck out makes it seriously suck way harder than the other realms), the Daemon Prince's gear options melding into a boring mush after the first few unlocks and the small but irritating UI changes (diplomacy screen feels way busier and harder to decipher, why do building slots fill in from the top left to bottom right where the other games it was bottom left to top right).

OwlFancier posted:

re: negative trait recovery, apparently the anti-skaven buildings also add that functionality and I'm not sure if it stacks with province capital effects?

From what I can tell it does stack, and it can remove multiple negative traits at once, as long as they're different negative traits and not just different levels of the same trait.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 19, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Slaanesh is the "I hope you like micro-ing the perfect flank envelopment in every battle" faction.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
As a new player I picked demon prince because the game said he was recommended to start with but I’m guessing that’s because of the lore not gameplay. Trying to potentially manage 4 different factions worth of dudes instead of just picking one to start is overwhelming and presumably after I play the 4 individually I will know what a good mix is.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Daemon prince is one of the hardest starts. If you're into Chaos, Khorne is maybe the easiest start in the game.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Ogres are great fun, my only two complaints are that Greasy's start in the cooped up mountains runs counterintuitive to the way camps work, and that they should of gone for a more interesting accent then gammon.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

How do you take settlements with Nurgle without taking a lot of casualties in the process as you're slow enough that the towers shoot you apart?

Also quick tip as Nurgle: the easiest way to spread plagues is transfer units between armies you own. Given just how little the supply lines cost playing "toss the nurglings" between multiple heralds feels like a good plan.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

neonchameleon posted:

How do you take settlements with Nurgle without taking a lot of casualties in the process as you're slow enough that the towers shoot you apart?

Use plagues more
Use corruption to make rebellions more

Come in when the enemy is weaker

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
How does Kislev's economy work? Even the pure income buildings don't give you that much income. And playing as Boris, I have a bunch of trade friends, but barely anything to trade them, so I'm making very little there. I'm 30 turns in and I make barely more than I did by default at the start.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Minor town battles suck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like one change I would like to the minor settlements is if a tower is destroyed, it should take progressively longer to rebuild in that location.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

RVT posted:

How does Kislev's economy work? Even the pure income buildings don't give you that much income. And playing as Boris, I have a bunch of trade friends, but barely anything to trade them, so I'm making very little there. I'm 30 turns in and I make barely more than I did by default at the start.

How did you unlock Boris without playing through as one of the other two? Erengrad's port has a money printer hidden in the warehouses and while Kislev and Praag aren't quite as good they are both excellent for raising your income. Also the Oblasts are four settlements and at most need two military buildings (one infantry, one cavalry) and not much growth because 1 and 2 pop are both easy. So it's easy to put four tier 3 markets in one of them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SirPhoebos posted:

Minor town battles suck.

Can't even autoresolve away siege battles now. Really sucks rear end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From my brief time playing them, kislev appears to be able to produce an infinite amount of furs so I guess find lots of people who want to buy fur off you :v:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like the minor settlements themselves, but I'd be happy to lose the barricades and towers side of things. I don't think the AI really understands how that works and so attacking settlements is just kinda embarrassing.

Edit: Kislev's economy in the homeland is fairly good, use the market stall chain in the three big cities to boost the market chain in the minor settlements. Boris is kinda hard mode though, as no matter what he's stuck with the minor settlement building chains. Even with the magic trees I don't find farms to make much money, though the growth and recruitment cost decrease are nice instead.

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 19, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

I like the minor settlements themselves, but I'd be happy to lose the barricades and towers side of things. I don't think the AI really understands how that works and so attacking settlements is just kinda embarrassing.

Fortunately when mods come out that should be a relatively easy fix. Make the supply cost to build them 9999 so they basically can't be made.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Daemon prince is one of the hardest starts. If you're into Chaos, Khorne is maybe the easiest start in the game.

Khorne has a similar "at war with everyone" problem, but Khorne units are essentially hard-counters to all of your neighbors. It's relatively easy to secure the northern peninsula or whatever the hell it is before moving to the center of the map, or invading Norsca. Though if you go to Norsca, you will almost certainly get drawn into a long hell-war with Kislev, The Empire, and the Wood Elves. But by that point you will most likely be strong enough to dumpster them.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

neonchameleon posted:

How did you unlock Boris without playing through as one of the other two? Erengrad's port has a money printer hidden in the warehouses and while Kislev and Praag aren't quite as good they are both excellent for raising your income. Also the Oblasts are four settlements and at most need two military buildings (one infantry, one cavalry) and not much growth because 1 and 2 pop are both easy. So it's easy to put four tier 3 markets in one of them.

I guess in multiplayer he doesn't need to be unlocked, he's just already there.

Alright, I'll see if I can confederate some of the other factions, though that might be difficult due to the whole no money thing. Maybe need to restart and start as one of them and come at it from the other angle and try to confederate Boris.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Eimi posted:

Fortunately when mods come out that should be a relatively easy fix. Make the supply cost to build them 9999 so they basically can't be made.

Here's hoping! Because these maps all look great and I've been waiting more than a decade for Total War AI to really figure out city fighting. It's not always hopeless, I've had a lot of fun fights. But something about those capture zones seems to trip them up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

Here's hoping! Because these maps all look great and I've been waiting more than a decade for Total War AI to really figure out city fighting. It's not always hopeless, I've had a lot of fun fights. But something about those capture zones seems to trip them up.

unfucking the ai would be much, much harder, but yeah not having to deal with barriers and towers should make the maps more fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the barricades but the towers feel like whack a mole, and disproportionately annoy your valuable units too.

They don't really stop you from winning the battle but they do make it more likely you're going to have to stop for a few turns to replace some key unit.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

RVT posted:

I guess in multiplayer he doesn't need to be unlocked, he's just already there.

Alright, I'll see if I can confederate some of the other factions, though that might be difficult due to the whole no money thing. Maybe need to restart and start as one of them and come at it from the other angle and try to confederate Boris.

If you don't start as Boris he starts off as seemingly dead and you need a quest battle to free him.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Hey this is really cool. I've managed to set up a tenuous alliance between Khorne, Tzeentch and Nurgle (Slaanesh had to die), and we are all doing an end-times style invasion of Kislev and the Empire. Even a bunch of random Chaos warrior factions are getting in on the action and flooding into Praag.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this makes me wanna fire up some TW2 pretty much.

also oof game is getting dragged on steam currently.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I like the new challenge and fresh maps. But I have flying demons who can crush humans underfoot so I haven't had much frustration with towers thus far.

Also blue horrors are pretty good in the early game for me this far, but you gotta micro their firing arcs to max their short range. They stand up well to being melee attacked by infantry on a linear road cuz as enemies chew through the front ranks they come under fire from the horrors 1-2 ranks behind.

I spend so much time manicuring my formations but I never see cheesy YouTubers do it sometimes I wonder if I'm playing the same game. These are habits of mine than reach as far back as TW Medieval 1. I usually take my time in battles, I even have my infantry walk (as long as it keeps formation) lol

queeb posted:

also oof game is getting dragged on steam currently.

Why lol. This is my first CA game on launch and it really hasn't been that bad for me.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
People are mad about the DRM, and China is mad that streamers got to play the game before them. All of the TW games on steam are getting review-bombed right now.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the game does run pretty crap for me too,a nd im on a beefy PC. even just like, mousing over a bunch of buildings when i was seeing what they did would cause hitching. really strange.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it seems like there are a number of specific framerate problems related to some maps and graphical elements.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Those hitches might actually be caused by the DRM. The preview copies that streamers had didn't include the DRM. Take it with a grain of salt, but there are claims the DRM caused a ~30% reduction in FPS.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

*breathes in*

DDDDDDDDEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Those hitches might actually be caused by the DRM. The preview copies that streamers had didn't include the DRM. Take it with a grain of salt, but there are claims the DRM caused a ~30% reduction in FPS.

I've seen counterarguments that DRM does cause stuff like that but in a different way from what we're seeing so new drivers and the patch might be hosed too, who knows. DRM's easy to hate though so that's what the community is blaming regardless of whether or not it's true.

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah I think the control point poo poo ended up being a big mistake, both in terms of AI not being able to handle it and because it flat out makes battles more annoying. I get what they were going for, but unless they dramatically revamp it I think modding it out (or at least substantially limiting it) is going to become a default option pretty quickly. Even for what they were going for though, I can't help feeling like giving defenders toys to play with while giving attackers nothing new was a weird idea since players will presumably be attacking way more than defending.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The game is doing something odd that the previous games didn't do at all - occasionally on battles the entire game just freezes its processing, not the graphical updates or anything but there's a good two seconds where everything stays put.

Also one fun laugh is that if you hit Tzeench horse chaos knights with artillery it will occasionally fling those big flying discs all over the place as a fun death animation bug.

Also apparently Little Grom's cannon balls are deadly until they stop moving period, had one slowly roll down a hill after impact and unit of Khaine troops walk into it and suffer about 30% fatalities in the process.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Omnicarus posted:

The game is doing something odd that the previous games didn't do at all - occasionally on battles the entire game just freezes its processing, not the graphical updates or anything but there's a good two seconds where everything stays put.

I haven't experienced this at all, so it might be due to your hardware/drivers/settings/etc.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
With Katarina and judicious use of the church buildings, keeping control high and corruption low is a cinch. Also once the rifts open I have agents fan out and close them quickly

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I thought this was about as safe a pre order as it could get with as much shared DNA as there is between it and the first two games in the series, but honestly I borderline regret playing at launch, and am thinking about setting it aside pretty soon until some combination of mods and patches make it more fun. Anybody else getting an intrusive thought that they could just fire up Warhammer 2 and probably be having more fun yet? I'm still looking forward to trying the multiplayer campaigns (and honestly wish I could try Darkness and DIsharmony solo), but I'm not going to tell my friends to play until there are some fixes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If anything I think my issue with settlement attacks is that the AI is surprisingly good at defending them, they aren't always great at using all their units perfectly optimally but they certainly do well enough to make them really annoying to fight.

I think the only thing that would make me want to return to WH2 is that I still really like the SFO balancing and economy, but I think this is much better than baseline WH2 even accounting for the fact that I don't enormously like the factions that much other than cathay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I thought this was about as safe a pre order as it could get with as much shared DNA as there is between it and the first two games in the series, but honestly I borderline regret playing at launch, and am thinking about setting it aside pretty soon until some combination of mods and patches make it more fun. Anybody else getting an intrusive thought that they could just fire up Warhammer 2 and probably be having more fun yet? I'm still looking forward to trying the multiplayer campaigns (and honestly wish I could try Darkness and DIsharmony solo), but I'm not going to tell my friends to play until there are some fixes.

I dunno. I've been really having fun and I've only tried Khorne so far. I also clocked an extra 24 hours on WH2 in the two weeks before the launch of 3. No real urge to boot up 2 on my side.

What in particular are you not having fun with? Maybe you just aren't feeling the faction that you've been using.