Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

loving hell, does this game look good on PS5.

I did, and it installs from the disc (there is an update it downloaded as well, not sure what the size of it was).

Sweet thanks. Looking forward to this. First real game for the PS5 I have played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

It's canon that her hands are absolutely hosed up with callouses.

lady could dope-slap the bottom of a cast iron frypan fresh off the griddle and not feel it

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The game is running fine on our PSPro but man does it get the fan going. Sounds like a jet engine sometimes. We're getting that cut-scene micro lag that some folks mentioned as well but it's not a big deal.

First quest spoilers: THOU SHALT NOT STEAL AN ADVANCED TERRAFORMING SYSTEM lmao. Also Varl should keep the beard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for more detail, i've been playing for maybe four hours on hard so far and it's very pretty and also addictive in the usual open-world sony-game sense, with significantly improved character models across the board. but i was never fond of aloy before and her cattiness towards absolutely everyone around her has been intensified to a point that i really hope eases off once she pushes further into unknown territory, because right now she's reacting to just about everything with an exasperated eyeroll. loving geralt had more joie de vivre than this girl does right now

that said, i appreciate that the biggest break in her attitude so far was a good bowl of stew. no adventurer can resist a decent bite

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
So hard not buying this now when I know it's gonna clash with Elden Ring.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JBP posted:

It's canon that her hands are absolutely hosed up with callouses.

That makes sense. She spends most of her time rummaging through the guts of robots.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and she's a nora on top of it. with all the archery they do, the average brave could probably deflect a bullet with a well-placed thumbs-up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sarcastx posted:

e: gonna look at moving my PS5 to another location, maybe it's not getting enough airflow and it's throttling or something.

I was gonna say, I've seen the stuck cutscene frames pop up a few times, but they're definitely not endemic enough that I'd say they're a major criticism.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oxxidation posted:

and she's a nora on top of it. with all the archery they do, the average brave could probably deflect a bullet with a well-placed thumbs-up

She’s pretty much Wonder Woman.

Every time I forget that Ted Faro is an rear end, the game throws something in my face. He’s George Constanza with money. Everything he touches turns to utter poo poo.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Tried out the nice looking mode for about 5 minutes and went right back to blessed 60fps, mostly because the cutscenes were hitching which seems to be the opposite of others? Kinda weird.

exquisite tea posted:

Really loved the Travis Tate appearance in the intro mission. Thou shalt not steal!

same. GAIA Version 6.9 was nice as well

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Danger posted:

Yea just did the boss here and see what some reviewers were getting at with the direction. Still was a solid “wtf” moment when Beta opened the gene locked door”

This is all stuff that Horizon fans have been predicting for years though so I’m totally down with it.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Travis Tate was the best of the Alphas.

Something about the way he has those messages appear within his program while making GBS threads all over the Zenith people is awesome to me. Been in love with stuff like that for as long as I can remember. I like when a game reminds the player that they are playing a game so anything can happen.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Idk how people play resolution mode on an OLED 120HZ tv... The lag is crazy noticable.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
can people please label the quest they're discussing when using spoiler tags? it makes it very hard to figure out what I can mouse over if you don't!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

early game nipples

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How do you zoom in and out of the map on PS5?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Put about 6 hours in today, just linked up with Erend and got the horrible priest guy on his way to the embassy, and I think I'm probably close to where the game is gonna open up. I've been trying not to investigate too much until I get more powered up and further through the story, but it's hard to avoid interesting poo poo out in the world!

I am gonna have to figure out how I'm gonna handle all these sidequests -- I just finished HZD last week, and I mostly ignored all the green ?s because I was trying to make sure I finished it before HFW came out, but now that I don't have that limitation it feels like I could spend another six hours just in this first area. I've grabbed all the quests in the first major town, and almost all of them look like actual interesting story bits. I'm definitely glad I didn't skip over the quests where I'm investigating this skeevy mine boss, or the one that's going to give me a blast sling when I finish(!). If this kind of quality keeps up, this game is going to take me forever to finish.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

How do you zoom in and out of the map on PS5?

right stick down to zoom out, up to zoom in

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

The Postman posted:

early game nipples

Aloy’s giant grin really elevates this screenshot.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Also the game is good and Varl is still number one in my heart. Buddy looking like a snack at the beginning of the game.

Seconding this. Was so sad the beard wasn't permanent.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

funkymonks posted:

Aloy’s giant grin really elevates this screenshot.

It really really does.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
I would like to have infinite boom spear things for the atlatl please and thank you

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Having a weird problem where the colours change slightly when the cameras moving. Like all the grass turns a brighter shade of green. Anyone know what the culprit might be? So far I’ve tried the two modes, HDR, and motion blur. HDR off seems to help but not fix the problem.

It could be my tv but I’ve always had every “special” setting off, and it specifically seems linked to controller movement.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like it when you spend a while talking to POCs wearing tribal inspired outfits then their boss walks out and it's some middle aged white bloke on his way to burning man.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
“These noble savages are my noble savages!”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm enjoying this game but it's weird when one character is saying their monologue, "you want some ammo I've got some ammo" and contextual words all at the same time as Aloy is saying she's sending poo poo to her stash or musing on using her hands as devices to climb a cliff she just saw.

"Looks like a vertical incline punctuated by porous rock formations that I can view using my technology based focus. I could use my hands as crude biological devices to propel the rest of my body up the incline thus reaching the top of the incline."

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aloy loves talking to herself about cliffs, crates, and holes she just saw.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just went to the top of a huge mountain and whoa

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I mean Aloy grew up without any friends or even other kids her age so talking to herself is understandable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really like that Aloy basically has little time for poo poo. It makes her a far more interesting character and means she is less prone to Protagonist Based Stupidity. "No, Aloy, you must complete this meaningless ritu-" "Yeah, gently caress off, I'm going through the door."

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I'm having a lot more fun now that I'm running around out in the open world. The initial tutorial area was a bit of a snoozer, kinda wish games would just let you get to it but I understand why that stuff exists

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, is fast travel being free between bonfires a new thing? I like it.

e: discovered campfires are white instead of green, I don't like that

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a kitten posted:

Wow, I absolutely forgot that the PS4 controller can do that motion aiming thing

I turned it on and then turned that poo poo off because I'd aim and then move the controller without thinking and suddenly I missed my shot. gently caress that no thanks. I turned that poo poo the gently caress off

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Wiltsghost posted:

Huh, is fast travel being free between bonfires a new thing? I like it.

I don't know if it's new because I avoided fast travel in Zero Dawn on the PS4 due to loading times, but Forbidden West is super fast loading on the PS5 so I've been zipping between campfires regularly.

Also, resolution mode is amazing on my large 4k TV and I'm not seeing any lag or major pop in issues here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Every fast paced action cutscene looks rough due to pop in, especially when they try to cut to a bunch of different stuff. Out in the game world sometimes I see it when a scene ends or occasionally there's a foul up, but generally smooth.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did they up the difficulty in this game? I'm playing on hard and is getting absolutely destroyed by enemies that are the same level as me. Like, some projectiles instantly one shot me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
played for ~6hrs and finally got my first tallneck and holy jesus this game is huge. feels like i was just hanging out in White Orchard again like with witcher 3.

aloy's still a delightful curmudgeon who aint got time for pomp and ceremony. her only real crime is telling varl to lose the beard. he looked great with the beard :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ymgve posted:

Did they up the difficulty in this game? I'm playing on hard and is getting absolutely destroyed by enemies that are the same level as me. Like, some projectiles instantly one shot me.

It happens on normal. I feel like the game is overtuned for how janky the combat can get at times and how some robots have mounted sniper rifles or literal broadside cannons that fire the instant you become visible

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It does feel like Aloy is more fragile in this game. Playing on Hard and quite a few times I've had one hit take down nearly all my HP but never been one shot so far - feels pretty well tuned for difficulty.

Had a marathon session with the game today and it's an absolute blast to play. I still haven't even seen 2/3 of the map but love taking the time to explore and get through some of the (quality) side quests. Playing on performance mode and haven't experienced any real issues yet, it's silky smooth and looks great.

(Spoilers for Death's Door mission)Hell yeah, this really kicked the story into gear. Finally getting some quality time with Sylens, creepy conversation with HADES, and then the rear end in a top hat space clones from the Odyssey (presumably) show up and things start getting crazy. Great twist, can't wait to see where this goes. And they also received a mysterious signal/pulse they can't explain? Love it.

I've been playing around with different settings and I highly recommend putting on the option to always show the climbing features. I was constantly pulsing the focus before that to find out where I could climb up and it's nice just to have that always on, it's not that obtrusive and just helps the game flow better.

I like the easy loot feature too. I can already tell I'm going to spend an enormous amount of time with this game so I want to save myself the time it'll take to hunt for components from machines I'm already fighting. Targetting different parts is still the best way to approach combat but it's nice not to worry about shooting off every specific thing every fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Been playing for 10 hours. Just got done with the first Tallneck. This game is huge and there is so much to do. I'm pretty much going to dedicate all of my freetime to it over the next week