Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

eke out posted:

r/panelshow has links if you search for it, I believe

Excellent. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Looks like the increasingly popular Kongen Befaler will be the first series in the franchise to be aired in 2022, starting 24th Feb.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Heavy_D posted:

Looks like the increasingly popular Kongen Befaler will be the first series in the franchise to be aired in 2022, starting 24th Feb.

I'm not that intrigued by the new cast. Harald Eia is past his sell by date as a comedian. Martin "piefucker" Lepperød could be fun though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I have that the small amounts of fucks that Jo Brand has to give is almost impressive. During one timed task she just goes to the toilet.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Alhazred posted:

I have that the small amounts of fucks that Jo Brand has to give is almost impressive. During one timed task she just goes to the toilet.
Doesn't help when she gets paired with David Baddiel:
https://i.imgur.com/0ArBwTy.mp4
Just rewatch it for the pause where they make the sandwich.Top five of all team tasks, surely...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Series 10: Johnny Vegas is far too emotionally invested in these tasks. He's having way too many nervous breakdowns. I like how Mawaan is constantly trying to find loopholes and bend the rules without breaking them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Series 10: Johnny Vegas is far too emotionally invested in these tasks. He's having way too many nervous breakdowns. I like how Mawaan is constantly trying to find loopholes and bend the rules without breaking them.

Mawaan is great because he switches wildly between genuinely brilliant lateral thinking and just like, straight up forgetting the rules he just read. I think he has a wider range of intelligence on display than any other contestant that's been on the show.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Series 10 overall is very bad, but it does have some amazing moments (nobody getting points on a "don't touch the red green" task, and Alex being completely baffled by Catherine's incompetence at all times.)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Series 10 overall is very bad, but it does have some amazing moments (nobody getting points on a "don't touch the red green" task, and Alex being completely baffled by Catherine's incompetence at all times.)

Yeah, the vibes were really off and I think a lot of that had to do with the tasks having to be adjusted for Covid partway through and it being the first audience-free series so there was a lot of awkwardness. You're right that it still has flashes of greatness though.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Mawaan is great because he switches wildly between genuinely brilliant lateral thinking and just like, straight up forgetting the rules he just read. I think he has a wider range of intelligence on display than any other contestant that's been on the show.

"Why were the balls there?"

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So many of the tasks in S10 are overcomplicated in their setting while lacking the freedom for the person to go off on a tangent. S11 then S12 were gradual improvements in coming up with right tasks. Imo the two TM NZ series have had better task setting than all the recent UK series. The most recent NY special had pretty good tasks again so I'm hopeful for CoCII & S13.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I like S10 more than 9, 11 or 12, but Katherine Parkinson is pulling a lot of that weight.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

S10 is probably my least favourite series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've started listening to the Off Menu Podcast with Ed Gamble and James Acaster, where they ask people about their dream meal, and Victoria Coren Mitchell just has the weirdest sense of food. Absolutely no pretension, she's had fancy foods and doesn't care. She has simple, unambitious tastes. And apparently David Mitchell's favorite food is just bread and butter. Weird.

Alhazred posted:

Johnny Vegas is fantastic in all the panel stuff I've seen him in, but everything about him is very weird. He likes to joke about being distraught, but there is some real in there and it's never clear how real it is. I think he's lived a tough life, and he had an entirely different stage persona back in his earlier standup. I don't really know the details.

He jokes a lot, but there's a weird amount of apparent sincerity to everything.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've started listening to the Off Menu Podcast with Ed Gamble and James Acaster, where they ask people about their dream meal, and Victoria Coren Mitchell just has the weirdest sense of food. Absolutely no pretension, she's had fancy foods and doesn't care. She has simple, unambitious tastes. And apparently David Mitchell's favorite food is just bread and butter. Weird.

Johnny Vegas is fantastic in all the panel stuff I've seen him in, but everything about him is very weird. He likes to joke about being distraught, but there is some real in there and it's never clear how real it is. I think he's lived a tough life, and he had an entirely different stage persona back in his earlier standup. I don't really know the details.

He jokes a lot, but there's a weird amount of apparent sincerity to everything.

I was only familiar with Johnny Vegas from episodes of QI from years ago and didn't particularly like him there, but he was arresting on Taskmaster. I've never felt so genuinely bad at somebody failing tasks as him.

There were a lot of tasks in Series 10 that seemed like they would have been impossible for any team to complete, let alone the slightly incompetent crew they had in that series. There was the eggs in the frying pan, and the bizarre one with the loading bay doors opening and closing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
He seems more stable these days than perhaps 10, 15 years ago.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Rochallor posted:

There were a lot of tasks in Series 10 that seemed like they would have been impossible for any team to complete, let alone the slightly incompetent crew they had in that series. There was the eggs in the frying pan, and the bizarre one with the loading bay doors opening and closing.
Good TM tasks provide the opportunity to succeed in an unexpected way. Too many of the S10 tasks, such as the closing doors one, were 'Who least incompetent?'.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Pablo Bluth posted:

S10 is probably my least favourite series.

From what I've seen this isn't an uncommon opinion, but it landed with me. There's something about the utter grimness of S10 that works for me, between the multiple disqualifications, Daisy's anger, Katherine and Johnny's constant terror, and Gregg's seething contempt for the eventual winner.

9 is just a split between boring competence and the apathetic, and S11 and 12 feel a little too focused on the tasks themselves, with too many rules for anyone to really go too far off the rails. Like, when the task is just to copy some motions, you're not going to get a lot of creativity, and someone just failing a brief isn't inherently funny.

I think they'd actually do well to steal a little back from TMNZ; the tasks there have been really inventive and very fertile ground for personal flair.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo all the seasons are good and funny, though some are more good and funny than others.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Leatherhead posted:

I think they'd actually do well to steal a little back from TMNZ; the tasks there have been really inventive and very fertile ground for personal flair.

"Commit a crime. You may not break the law." is on paper possibly the best task concept maybe ever. I'd love to see the UK version nick it at some point, because you already know that Greg absolutely would not be anywhere near as generous as Jeremy was.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
TMNZ had a ton of great tasks. I loved the Abraham Lincoln Group Call.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really disliked Daisy, but yeah Series 10 was a low point along with Series 6.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wasn't Daisy pregnant for the series? I've pretty much forgotten it. Except for Katherine trying to fill a net with water. That was unforgettable.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Season 10 was quite awkward because of all the COVID stuff they had to do, but I really liked a lot of the contestants. In particular Katherine Parkinson was a lot of fun to watch because she seemed like a genuinely insane person or possibly an alien who's only been on earth for a couple of weeks and is still trying to get the hang of it.

Mawan looks so much like his brother that when he popped up on Station Eleven I instantly said "that has to be Mawan's brother".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think what was fun about Katherine is that despite doing absolutely terribly at basically every task, she never seemed to be particularly flustered by it. Like it never once occurred to her in the moment that things could have gone any differently.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo all the seasons are good and funny, though some are more good and funny than others.

Yeah, 10 is the weakest season, but it's a high floor.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Season 10 was the second season I watched and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Vegas is so unhinged on Taskmaster that when he's tasked with making noises in a team task the others just assumes he's just being Johnny Vegas and ignores him.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alhazred posted:

Johnny Vegas is so unhinged on Taskmaster that when he's tasked with making noises in a team task the others just assumes he's just being Johnny Vegas and ignores him.

Can't argue with that logic tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RlWbzU8Hw

:ohdear:

itry fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 18, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

S10 isn't helped by the fact that Daisy seemed to legit dislike being around Richard Harrington. Can kind of see why, but outside of the animal drawings bit, it never felt like that was played for laughs as much as it was actual distaste.

The best seasons of this show are where the cast falls into a groove. By the end of TM NZ S2, they all seem like straight up buds. TM S7, and to some extent S12, there's just a really good chemistry between the casts in a way that the parts become greater than the whole.

Feel like the 'worse' seasons are where there isn't that gel and it does feel like five people individually competing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kinda blows my mind that Johnny Vegas has a BA in ceramics, all I can ever picture is him prostrate and weeping in front of a kiln

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You know what doesn't blow my mind? That Katherine Parkinson doesn't have a BA in ceramics.
https://i.imgur.com/VFLOeEq.mp4

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 19, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kinda blows my mind that Johnny Vegas has a BA in ceramics, all I can ever picture is him prostrate and weeping in front of a kiln

Putting his experience to good use (4:36)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LItYnyVF-L4&t=276s

Alhazred posted:

You know what doesn't blow my mind? That Katherine Parkinson doesn't have a BA in ceramics.

https://i.imgur.com/VFLOeEq.mp4

I forgot about that one. Dammit Johnny.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've started listening to the Off Menu Podcast with Ed Gamble and James Acaster, where they ask people about their dream meal, and Victoria Coren Mitchell just has the weirdest sense of food.

TM-adjacent: you have to listen to Bob Mortimer's episode. It's fantastic.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Ooooh, I hadn't seen this live Taskmaster thing before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWZEg9B-GI

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I find I'm sad whenever a season ends and miss the cast. Then I start a new season and dislike everyone because I miss the previous cast. Then a few tasks in, or maybe an episode or two I love the new cast and don't want the season to end. Then it ends and I miss the cast and dislike the new cast of the next new season until a couple tasks or episodes in.

That's been my Taskmaster experience over the last couple years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was browsing Lego Ideas, the website the Lego company uses to accept fan submissions of kits that probably could never be made for various licensing issues, and a certain entry caught my attention.

Fiddly.

Trig Discipline posted:

Ooooh, I hadn't seen this live Taskmaster thing before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWZEg9B-GI

The whole thing used to be on youtube. I'm not sure where you'd find it now. I know that Alex Horne actually introduced the concept at an Edinburgh festival with just his friends doing the tasks, but I'm not sure if that is even recorded anywhere to find.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Do we strike you?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

SlothfulCobra posted:

The whole thing used to be on youtube. I'm not sure where you'd find it now. I know that Alex Horne actually introduced the concept at an Edinburgh festival with just his friends doing the tasks, but I'm not sure if that is even recorded anywhere to find.

https://archive.org/details/edinburgh-does-taskmaster

That's the recent one. I know I've seen at least some of the old one somewhere (although I don't think all of it), I'll have a look around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I had a look for the footage I've seen of "The Taskmaster" - the original Edinburgh show. It wasn't the full thing, just 10 minutes of random clips that gave a flavour of the thing. I found a link to youtube that purported to be the footage, but the video was private. Maybe someone has downloaded and mirrored it, but I suspect that's what happened to the known copy.

Taskmaster won two comedy.co.uk awards, here's Greg and Alex accepting the awards semi-in character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmg4qMmYjlQ