Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

jesus WEP posted:

i didn't know until today that there's a video of hikaru and scott hansen having a drunken physical fight while yasser talks poo poo and laughs about it with caruana, because yasser is the coolest dude in chess

ive seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

jesus WEP posted:

i didn't know until today that there's a video of hikaru and scott hansen having a drunken physical fight while yasser talks poo poo and laughs about it with caruana, because yasser is the coolest dude in chess

Woah really? Hinting but not linking video content of this calibre should be bannable.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FcokIxe50A

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

jiggerypokery posted:

Woah really? Hinting but not linking video content of this calibre should be bannable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FcokIxe50A

It circulated a few months ago when all that Nakamura-Hansen-Botez drama was going on.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yasser was a 2nd to Korchnoi in his first WC match againt Karpov and he has a bunch of crazy stories about it. He's in a documentary called Closing Gambit which was pretty interesting if not a little bit weird stylistically, Like a cheap history channel special.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goongrats to hikaru

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://lichess.org/analysis/r3k1r1/1R3p2/4pB1b/p2pP3/1npn4/Q5Pq/3N1P2/1R4K1_b_q_-_3_28

missed the mate in 1 in this position (i played Rxg3+ instead), with 1:18 still on the clock (it was a 5:00 game) then hung my queen shortly thereafter :cry:

EDIT: Time to go to bed early and stare at the ceiling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

EDIT2: Decided that sleep was letting myself off too easy for this disgrace, so now I'm punishing myself with back-to-back mate in one puzzles https://lichess.org/training/mateIn1

EDIT3: The self-flagellation worked, i am back! Back to punishing the other players instead of punishing myself :twisted:

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 19, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Chess can be so deflating sometimes, even when you win. I just had a game where I won a Knight, Bishop, and a Rook for my Knight, and the post-game analysis the computer was like ??? you had forced mate!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If I miss mate in 1 or 2 I’ll feel bad about it, 3 I’ll maybe feel bad about it depending on time control, more than 3 absolutely not

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
It's case by case really. Some mate in threes are quite tricky to see, sometimes a mate in seven can be clear and obvious.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Artelier posted:

Chess can be so deflating sometimes, even when you win. I just had a game where I won a Knight, Bishop, and a Rook for my Knight, and the post-game analysis the computer was like ??? you had forced mate!!

There's also the fact that, if you're in no danger of losing, it doesn't matter one way or another. Who cares if you win enough material to guarantee a longer victory vs winning earlier? Goal is the same and result is the same.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

Yasser was a 2nd to Korchnoi in his first WC match againt Karpov and he has a bunch of crazy stories about it. He's in a documentary called Closing Gambit which was pretty interesting if not a little bit weird stylistically, Like a cheap history channel special.

Is that the one where someone had the hypnotist or mind control guy? That cracks me up. The stories from that event were crazy.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I think everyone has games where one or both players play some moves fast, then someone blunders and it's like, oh oops, now they start thinking and actually start playing better as they try to recover. Is that something that better player grow out of, or is it just the reality of playing non-classical time controls?

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Artelier posted:

I know what you mean, I had a recent game where I as black was at a consistent-7 from move 8, except for one move where white had mate in 1 but neither of us saw it, and that slip devalues what was otherwise a well conceived and enacted plan

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
All the parts of chess that are fun and entertaining take place outside of the computer's optimized line.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://lichess.org/fbxBUgkZ/white#18

This is the first time I have ever managed to set up the Greek Gift successfully. This was a really bad situation for black, I think they would have needed to sac a queen to avoid mate here.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

dhamster posted:

https://lichess.org/fbxBUgkZ/white#18

This is the first time I have ever managed to set up the Greek Gift successfully. This was a really bad situation for black, I think they would have needed to sac a queen to avoid mate here.

Laughing at "Black offers draw" when it's +5

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

https://lichess.org/ucnw2meL/white#51

Found a use for underpromoting here. Not sure if it was any better than getting the queen, but at least it was funny.

e: I also felt like I had a gameplan here, and I can't usually say that I do. First I tried to set up a Pirc defense since they gave up the center, then I castled queenside so I could throw pawns at their fianchetto'd kingside.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 25, 2022

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Oh no, my Knight!

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I just accidentally trapped a queen :lol:

I only realized when I started wondering why my opponent was taking so long with the retreating move. Chess is so loving hard.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I just got into chess in December, forget exactly how I saw something on a show or movie (not Queen's Gambit) that motivated me to download the Chess.com app and start playing and since have gotten very addicted to it. I never played much before because I was always pretty bad at it and struggled to think ahead with my moves but I've mainly been getting better just by playing 10 minute or 15 | 10 rapid games, and started a few one day correspondence games that have been good for taking time to strategize moves and think through various possibilities. Finally just got my ranking above 800 yesterday which I know is generally low but still very exciting.

Generally get really bored playing a computer though. Playing real people who will also make mistakes I've found to be one of the most valuable things, because you can't always predict them and it teaches you to keep an eye out for those opportunities, whereas I feel like the computer is just going to make those mistakes on purpose because of whatever skill level it's set to.

So far I've been watching Naroditsky on YouTube, enjoying the SpeedRun series in particular and the way he walks through the theory of what he's doing as everyone has talked about here. It's absolutely been helping my game, though I don't think I'm close to the point yet where I could handle 3 minute games or anything like that (not sure if I ever will, my impulsiveness and impatience making moves is usually what fucks me over).

Anyway, enjoying it a lot so far. May look to join the Goon club on Chess.com once I feel a bit more confident in my rating and skills.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

TrixRabbi posted:

May look to join the Goon club on Chess.com once I feel a bit more confident in my rating and skills.

just join, no will care if you're bad (also the club's been pretty dead lately :ssh:)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Well, I joined if anyone wants to revive it.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

TrixRabbi posted:

I just got into chess in December, forget exactly how I saw something on a show or movie (not Queen's Gambit) that motivated me to download the Chess.com app and start playing and since have gotten very addicted to it. I never played much before because I was always pretty bad at it and struggled to think ahead with my moves but I've mainly been getting better just by playing 10 minute or 15 | 10 rapid games, and started a few one day correspondence games that have been good for taking time to strategize moves and think through various possibilities. Finally just got my ranking above 800 yesterday which I know is generally low but still very exciting.

Generally get really bored playing a computer though. Playing real people who will also make mistakes I've found to be one of the most valuable things, because you can't always predict them and it teaches you to keep an eye out for those opportunities, whereas I feel like the computer is just going to make those mistakes on purpose because of whatever skill level it's set to.

So far I've been watching Naroditsky on YouTube, enjoying the SpeedRun series in particular and the way he walks through the theory of what he's doing as everyone has talked about here. It's absolutely been helping my game, though I don't think I'm close to the point yet where I could handle 3 minute games or anything like that (not sure if I ever will, my impulsiveness and impatience making moves is usually what fucks me over).

Anyway, enjoying it a lot so far. May look to join the Goon club on Chess.com once I feel a bit more confident in my rating and skills.

check your PMs

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

very happy with snagging a brilliancy on top of 99% accuracy yesterday

more proud of the 99% accuracy aspect. i've been avoiding studying *too deep* into opening theory since i'm in the lower 1000s, but my opponent is a friend of mine who i've been playing the KID against in OTB. i think this was only written as a brilliancy because the engine was caught up with calculating the idea of saving either the knight or the bishop

Macnult fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 6, 2022

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The one time I've had a brilliant move was a really obvious one pinning my opponent's queen to the king, but the engine had calculated a counter to it for my opponent, but if you went to high enough depth it turned out there was a counter to the counter that would leave me ahead. Of course I'd definitely calculated all that and not just gone "pin queen to king win queen durrr"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
had a winning position in a game where i was up a piece, but under time pressure. i made a blunder that should have allowed my opponent to equalize and probably flag me, but he played real fast and just went for the simplification i presented him instead of catching my mistake. i then cleaned up pretty quickly. it's kind of an annoying feeling

my desire to play games has been suffering for a while, i get this weird performance anxiety whenever i start playing that generally discourages me from playing. i don't feel too torn up when i lose, and i play amateur team sports and other ranked online competitions no problem, but for some reason when i start up a game of online chess i just get the shakes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jurischnoeller/status/1500766445235589124

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I managed to get to 1200 in Bullet for the first time. Last year I had hit a wall in the 1050~1100 range, but now I am getting more confident with my openings and I don't fall for gimmicks as often if they try something like the Stafford. I think what's helped me is looking for pawns that are poorly defended or hanging. Plus I think I'm just not making as many huge blunders (leaving things hanging, etc).

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gives new meaning to playing an explosive move

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

1. d4 d5
2. c4 c6
:blyat:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

gives new meaning to playing an explosive move

22. Rxf5385!? Sacrifices the rook and gives up control of the open f-file but may have been necessary to prevent a future threat

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

finally hit 2000 puzzle rating on chess dot com :unsmith:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I got my rating up to about 850 in Rapid (Chess.com) a few weeks back but had some personal stuff happen and trying to play chess during it was pretty dumb so my rating plummeted back down below 700 after hitting a bad losing streak. I'm slowly trying to climb back up now but feel like I'm at that point in learning where I've got some of the theory down but not enough to be solid so I make moves I think are supposed to be correct but then blow up in my face :/

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
It'll happen. I started at like 400 (I had played maybe 5 games of chess in my life over 20 years ago) and every 100ish points I gain I'll got a losing streak and then go back over my previous best. I've been using the free aimchess exercises and reading through a few books to get ideas for incorporating into games, but no amount of theory will keep you from getting hit by a nasty fork or similar blunder.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
A big part of chess is being familiar with the positions you play. Part of improving is that you start getting better positions… that you’re not so familiar with playing. This means that improving, ironically, just naturally comes with losing streaks.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

A big part of chess is being familiar with the positions you play. Part of improving is that you start getting better positions… that you’re not so familiar with playing. This means that improving, ironically, just naturally comes with losing streaks.

This seems to sum it up well. I also think as I start learning bits and pieces of theory I might be psyching myself out where I go against my gut to do the “correct” move but don’t have enough knowledge yet to back it up once I make it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also, doesn’t your Elo rating moving up result in your eventually being rated a little above your true skill level, then you play a bunch of better players, take a losing streak, and your Elo adjusts back downwards? Won’t it tend to have a sinusoidal movement around your true skill level?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

i think thats also related to how good players can memorize games. its not just a list of arbitrary moves to them, theyre remembering the general patterns and ideas that theyre already familiar with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
So does anyone else get stoned and then try to castle their queen when they play black?