Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

The Lego Games are my favorite games, so buying Dimensions was a no-brainer, but you can be drat sure the Doctor Who expansion was the first one I bought.

In fact, I bought the expansion before I even had the core game.

Same haha! I had it preordered thinking it would just ne cool to have. Then it showed up and I was out the door an hour later to get the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A bunch of Doctor Who-adjacent comics have gone up on Kickstarter. So if you want more adventures of Omega, Sutekh, and the lion people from Warrior’s Gate, you’re covered!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bit windy today in the UK.

https://twitter.com/jakethepayne/status/1494412865037553673

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

I would love if the Doctor fixed his chameleon circuit but he didn't know how to operate it, so it transformed into vaguely tardis-shaped objects. A wheelie bin, a fridge, etc. Could be fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Updog Scully posted:

I would love if the Doctor fixed his chameleon circuit but he didn't know how to operate it, so it transformed into vaguely tardis-shaped objects. A wheelie bin, a fridge, etc. Could be fun.

The TARDIS is in both of these pictures.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

The_Doctor posted:

It was a local uk newspaper that put out the story saying it was potentially coming, and then followed it up next day with ‘no that’s complete rubbish’ like it wasn’t them who did the initial story.

The Plymouth Herald really is addicted to making fake Who news at this point.

Its been implied that the TARDIS likes being a police box and doesn't really want to change even if it could (of course Ruth's TARDIS also being a police mix creates a ton of continuity errors).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

The Plymouth Herald really is addicted to making fake Who news at this point.

Its been implied that the TARDIS likes being a police box and doesn't really want to change even if it could (of course Ruth's TARDIS also being a police mix creates a ton of continuity errors).

They're also the ones who published the story about there being 17 missing ep/stories in the Middle East, but getting them back was going to be difficult because the country that had them wanted certain "political" guarantees from the British government.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldMemes posted:

(of course Ruth's TARDIS also being a police mix creates a ton of continuity errors).

Oh that's easily explained since she fits in somewhere between Troughton and Pertwee :hai:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that's easily explained since she fits in somewhere between Troughton and Pertwee :hai:

:hmmyes: It’s the only logical place for her to fit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do we get to see the doctor enter and exit the Organ TARDIS? I love the blue box but would be fun if the Doctor had a habit of entering from doors on objects you didn't notice until it bizarrely had a door and a fuckin person walk out of it. Also maybe a few gags where where the TARDIS is a telephone pole and the Doctor and two companions poke their heads out from it scooby-doo style.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Do we get to see the doctor enter and exit the Organ TARDIS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgLFdRXRa0

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't even think of doing the special effects that way, this is why I'd always end up over budget. I love that, just walk from behind it.

For that matter Who could stand to play with the interior a bit more.

https://thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/tardis/interior/season-14-interior/

Watching random old Whos a while back and I loved this take on it. Keeps the whole vibe of the console room, down to big circles on the walls, but also has a radically different wood paneling and real furniture skin to every element. Just looks, not necessarily cozy (vaguely reminds me of sitting in a legal office or court or something), but warmer. Would love to see another furniturey-take in the future.

13's Interior is really cool too, but in a kind of cool videogame chamber kind of way, something with that many magic crystals around it has got to be powerful. In retrospect crystal interior is fitting for 13 given her Flux friends.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes: It’s the only logical place for her to fit.

Leaked footage from towards the end of the last Jodie Whittaker Special, after The Fugitive Doctor's secrets are revealed and she finally regenerates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GXfH70OrHA&t=130s

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I didn't even think of doing the special effects that way, this is why I'd always end up over budget. I love that, just walk from behind it.

For that matter Who could stand to play with the interior a bit more.

https://thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/tardis/interior/season-14-interior/

Watching random old Whos a while back and I loved this take on it. Keeps the whole vibe of the console room, down to big circles on the walls, but also has a radically different wood paneling and real furniture skin to every element. Just looks, not necessarily cozy (vaguely reminds me of sitting in a legal office or court or something), but warmer. Would love to see another furniturey-take in the future.

13's Interior is really cool too, but in a kind of cool videogame chamber kind of way, something with that many magic crystals around it has got to be powerful. In retrospect crystal interior is fitting for 13 given her Flux friends.

I loved the secondary control room. Very steampunk from the days before we were sick of mixing the brass and wood look with high tech. Shame about what happened to the set.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I never liked the secondary control room. There, I said it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Edward Mass posted:

I never liked the secondary control room. There, I said it.
Yana! (I'm now wondering if my antipathy towards steampunk comes from my dislike of the secondary control room as a kid. Woo, let's make the TARDIS look like the inside of an elderly relative's Victorian house! Never liked the "incredible technology cobbled together out of bits of antique hardware" look exemplified by Eleven's first control room either.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My favourite is definitely the TV Movie console room, it took the concept of ‘bigger on the inside’ and went wild with it. It definitely informed the new series console rooms, with the Whittaker one feeling ‘the smallest’ despite being unknowingly big (literally! It’s so dark I have no idea how it all fits together!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved Capaldi's later design using the different levels and including shelves of books, which made the rather large space seem somehow cozy/welcoming, though it very much feels like a (wonderful) room while the TV Movie version is great at making the Console Room feel like an entire home.

One of the problems I have with the Whittaker design is that it's still using a large space but it's so dark that most of it feels wasted, and it doesn't feel like a particularly comfortable or enjoyable place to be in, especially with those weird "fingers".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Whittaker console room has the same issues as the original Eccleston/Tennant console room. It’s a room with no visible exits other than the front door, one seating area (some vague ‘stairs’ in the case of the most recent iteration), and the console surrounded by pillars. Neither of them are comfortable spaces.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
https://twitter.com/councilofgeeks/status/1494756409182883841?t=zHlJfht-83LRwYBOGmeeFA&s=19

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Don't bork. Bork and you're dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The reveal of Smith's new console room is one of my all time favorite moments in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHHTw-chJ64

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The TV Movie control room is wonderful, and the image of the Seventh Doctor just being cosy between adventures is actually really nice. The TARDIS should have those little touches - its not just his ship, but his home and his best friend.

Last night's listen was The Elite, which is a lost story release, since it was the random discount for last week. I thought liked how the Dalek was largely a background figure, and how it corrupts every that could have been good in that society into something twisted, it reminded me of Jubilee in that way. I didn't massively like the ending, but the attention to presenting it as it would have been made in the 80s was really well done, it was one of those audios I could picture quite easily.

Peter Davison happily remembering making Enlightenment in the Behind the Scenes was cute, and Janet Fielding was hilarious. I get why she didn't want to do Big Finish for the first decade or so, but she's great.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just read on FB that Stuart Bevan, who played Cliff Jones (aka the man who married Jo Grant) in The Green Death, has passed away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I feel really bad for saying this, but I saw a video of the two of them recently (I think for one of the new boxset releases?) and remember thinking,"Didn't he die awhile ago?" :smith:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The first episode of Genesis of the Daleks was just on Forces TV and its still so good. The bleak atmosphere on Skaro is so well realized, even if its just a quarry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The opening episode of Genesis is S-tier Who, it’s so atmospheric and oppressive. Team TARDIS genuinely feel in danger at every moment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The reveal of Smith's new console room is one of my all time favorite moments in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHHTw-chJ64

This was one of my favourite Clarases and I always like when a companion gives The Doctor pause making a pass at them. Also loved this version of the Doctor, Sherlock 007 camped up in his little cloud, with the staircase taller on the inside. All of the TARDIS gag bits I have enjoyed.

Has anyone ever just been outright scared by it? House of Leaves has this house that's bigger on the inside than the outside, but it scares the poo poo out of everyone and fucks with their minds,and even knowing about it second hand seems to gently caress people up. There are a few people excited about it in other ways and in any case in the story it really is hosed up and evil kind of poo poo going on or maybe not, very post-modern. As a kid I think I just accepted that the wrongness of the space would inherently freak people out but idk I think Who has gotten it more correct all along, even though kind of unfair comparison given the reasons and purpose behind the respective too-big spaces. Everyone reacts with excitement and wonder pretty much, as would I... my room is quite small and I'll trade some existential horror or whatever for some room to ever unpack all of my supplies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor's Wife plays up on the rather terrifying aspects of the TARDIS when House takes control of the TARDIS' "body" and proceeds to treat Amy and Rory like labrats, reconfiguring the internal geography, playing with the passage of time, bumping different potential timelines up against each other etc.

Less effective but still interesting is Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS, in which the Doctor and Clara are joined by some space salvagers and delve deep down into the TARDIS and the latter really do NOT have a good time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Katarina thought she was dead and in heaven when she stepped aboard, I think (it's been a while since I've listened to "The Myth Makers"/"The Daleks' Masterplan")

Mickey also freaked out a bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man poor Katarina, the way she died was horrifying, probably only "beaten" by Sara Kingdom's death in the same story.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
“What’s a good musical cue for someone getting sucked out an airlock? I know, a xylophone trill!”

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The opening episode of Genesis is S-tier Who, it’s so atmospheric and oppressive. Team TARDIS genuinely feel in danger at every moment.

It's a great serial in a lot of ways, this is still one of my favorite exchanges in Doctor Who:

Doctor: (cheerfully) Good, well, now he's gone, any chance of a cup of tea?
Tane: What?
Doctor: Or coffee. My friend and I have had a very trying experience! Haven't we had a trying experience, Harry?
Harry: Very trying, Doctor.
Tane: Step into the security scan!
Doctor: What, no tea?
Tane: Let me point out to you that you have no rights whatsoever. I have full authority to torture and kill any prisoner who does not comply absolutely with my orders. That is your first and last warning.
Doctor: (grumpily) No tea, Harry.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1496128157983858694

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Man poor Katarina, the way she died was horrifying, probably only "beaten" by Sara Kingdom's death in the same story.

It must have been amazing to watch The Dalek's Master Plan as it was airing. Yeah, it's a bit bloated to the point that there's good arguments for it being multiple linked stories but there's a shitton of crazy things never before seen happening in it. Lots of stuff to traumatize the kids watching...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It must have been amazing to watch The Dalek's Master Plan as it was airing. Yeah, it's a bit bloated to the point that there's good arguments for it being multiple linked stories but there's a shitton of crazy things never before seen happening in it. Lots of stuff to traumatize the kids watching...

Steven almost storming out of the TARDIS when proto-Dodo dies feels pretty real because he had to witness both of those deaths, Vicki doesn't exactly leave under the safest of circumstances, etc. It's almost more unbelievable that he changes his mind when real Dodo shows up, and he even stays after the Doctor forcefully changes her accent immediately :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

Steven almost storming out of the TARDIS when proto-Dodo

Prodo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Prodo Doto to her friends

https://twitter.com/soundsmythprod/status/1391680299633942534

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Has anyone ever just been outright scared by it? House of Leaves has this house that's bigger on the inside than the outside, but it scares the poo poo out of everyone and fucks with their minds,and even knowing about it second hand seems to gently caress people up. There are a few people excited about it in other ways and in any case in the story it really is hosed up and evil kind of poo poo going on or maybe not, very post-modern. As a kid I think I just accepted that the wrongness of the space would inherently freak people out but idk I think Who has gotten it more correct all along, even though kind of unfair comparison given the reasons and purpose behind the respective too-big spaces. Everyone reacts with excitement and wonder pretty much, as would I... my room is quite small and I'll trade some existential horror or whatever for some room to ever unpack all of my supplies.

One of the survivors in The Waters of Mars had a bit of a freak-out about the TARDIS and ran off after Ten got them back to Earth. I feel like there might have been another minor character who did the same at some point, but can't remember exactly. E: actually, maybe it was Mickey I'm thinking of.

Benton was pretty weirded out by it in The Three Doctors too.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Has anyone ever just been outright scared by [the TARDIS]?

Donna in The Runaway Bride once she sees it from the outside.