Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I was watching a CCE machining video someone linked and now I'm thinking about stuff and it sucks. How do you weld the face of two things together? Like if you have really heavy, really wide cylinders and you want to make it one cylinder, how does fusing them together with welds on the perimeter work? Im sure you grind down the stuff that sticks out so what's holding it together? Are the two faces of the cylinders that touch not fused? Man gently caress I dont know how of this works its just magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Friction welding maybe? Not sure how big they can go with that stuff though.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Can't remember if it was this thread, the schad thread or both, but the girl jumping off the parking garage and essentially faceplanting on the ground below has given me repeated dreams of girls doing that from even second floors and screaming. Thanks!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I just realised you can see the shadows on the roof and watch the dog romp off happily to it's owner once it gets up the ladder.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

thehandtruck posted:

I was watching a CCE machining video someone linked and now I'm thinking about stuff and it sucks. How do you weld the face of two things together? Like if you have really heavy, really wide cylinders and you want to make it one cylinder, how does fusing them together with welds on the perimeter work? Im sure you grind down the stuff that sticks out so what's holding it together? Are the two faces of the cylinders that touch not fused? Man gently caress I dont know how of this works its just magic

You don't just take two flat faces and weld them together. If you did, it would hold together (the welding process melts the metal where you've welded so it'll solidify together), but it'll be very weak compared to the rest of the object since it's only held together at the rim.

Usually what you'll do is carve out an angle from one or both pieces, so that you have a v-shape opening between them. You repeatedly weld a layer into the V, peen it to help relieve any stress, weld another layer on top, and so on until you've filled everything out and have solid welded metal all the way through the joint.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

The best part about this is you can see in the end of he first video how he's SO HAPPY to see his human :3:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoMgK3ACbaw&t=8s

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

to try this at home you'll need an erector set

:kiss:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 19, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MULTI KILL

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/4jawjan/status/1454866129210519555

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hey mang I dont come to your place ank kinkshame your sex toys.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

This is why you need someone to foot the ladder.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

i'm pretty sure those crocs aren't in 4-low so he's lucky to be alive.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

What would you even do with such a … thing? I don’t think you could apply enough force to that milling cutter to cut anything harder than styrofoam.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

naval contractors and no

https://revealnews.org/article/this-tool-cuts-fingers-and-gashes-faces-but-shipbuilder-still-uses-it/

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

That's a CAT40 milling cutter tool holder where the pull stud has been unscrewed and replaced with an angle grinder. I think some machinist noticed the threads matched and took a picture for a joke

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/XU69YQu.mp4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so that's where baby bridges come from

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I was getting ready for that dog to try to climb right back up the ladder.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sound on
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7jmekOAgm1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7iaz01iyk1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r5zd5ijPcT1yh1kk0.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7i9pfdBbH1r0uzl6.mp4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NO

NO NO NO NO NO

:negative:

no

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

new season of mst3k coming along good

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

gently caress no

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I genuinely felt like I was having issues breathing watching that lunatic.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

can't even watch more than a few seconds of that

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Spoiler: He talks about how people ask why he does this poo poo and his answer is 'Oh, it's just how I live my life, why do you get up in the morning or study a subject or hang out with friends, same thing' so there's definitely something wrong with his brain.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Look, just because I post while I drive

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

threadtitle.jpg

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

unzin posted:

threadtitle.jpg

"I see welds"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I can't Talk poo poo, I've welded using the safety squints, and even the safety eyelids before.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
You'd think that Nutty Putter motherfucker would wear an abrasion/slash resistant shirt or something.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You'd think that Nutty Putter motherfucker would wear an abrasion/slash resistant shirt or something.

he wants to feel the cave as raw as possible, it's a sexual thing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I genuinely don’t understand those people. Eventually you are going to get stuck.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

As your body desiccates from dehydration, it gets smaller and then you get out die

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Invalid Validation posted:

I genuinely don’t understand those people. Eventually you are going to get stuck.
I'm not a caver, but I feel like it makes a big difference like... if you know where you're going and that you can get through. That dude was talking about maybe needing to chip off bits of the wall(?) with a rock to fit, so it feels more like he went down not knowing if he'd fit and that... isn't good. If you know there's a certain squeeze coming up ahead and the tightest bit is [whatever] and it's blahblah feet long you can prepare for it and know if you physically can't handle it.

I feel like you should still put in wiggle room for if you get injured on the other side but that's probably a different set of safety precautions. I know you're not supposed to cave without telling people where you are, what route you're taking, and how long you plan to be gone for that exact reason.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wonder if anyone has got stuck, but still had access to people for help, and they just had to eat like a handful of oats a day and some water until they shed pounds and could get out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But if people know you're missing... then what? Do they remove the entire overburden or what?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

But if people know you're missing... then what? Do they remove the entire overburden or what?

They call up Elon to come save you with some dumb robot.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

You die slowly while onlookers are helpless to extract you. Then they seal that part of the cave and put up a plaque at the entrance to the cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

8one6 posted:

You die slowly while onlookers are helpless to extract you. Then they seal that part of the cave and put up a plaque at the entrance to the cave.

I know what you're doing.

Just dangling bait for that ONE STORY to be posted. It's haunting, and terrifying, but yes you can get so stuck in these things that there is no way to be extracted and people either get to witness you die slowly of dehydration or slowly get wedged tighter and tighter until you suffocate.