Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You know where Muskchat goes pls.

Muskchat tends to get a blind eye in the terrible car stuff thread if you dont want to go to C-SPAM

No, gently caress that. This isn't the thread for an ethical capitalism debate, but a mention of Elon posting a pro Hitler meme? Yup it belongs here in the thread where people might be buying an electric car and want to be informed.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

No, gently caress that. This isn't the thread for an ethical capitalism debate, but a mention of Elon posting pro Hitler meme? Yup it belongs here in the thread where people might be buying an electric car and want to be informed.

:yeah:

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

President Beep posted:

What’s up with that?

I have no loving idea. The manager was acting like it was some sort of rare supercar or something. Going on about a bidding war and how rare EVs are. Wouldn't allow test drives, had a 'Do not touch the EV6' sign up by it in the show room.

Honestly, the last time I saw a dealer acting like that over a car was a Nissan dealer with the only GTR Nismo in the entire state.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

knox_harrington posted:

Matrix headlights

But mr. Anderson. How can you L1 charge…if you have no cord?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Duck and Cover posted:

No, gently caress that. This isn't the thread for an ethical capitalism debate, but a mention of Elon posting pro Hitler meme? Yup it belongs here in the thread where people might be buying an electric car and want to be informed.

that was basically my thought process when I posted about it

if I was coming into the thread looking for advice on a new EV I would want to know

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Yeep posted:

I wouldn't mind so much if this were actually the case, but cargo space in crossovers is dogshit. Sometimes it's sacrificed at the expense of rear passenger room, and sometimes (looking at you Nissan Juke) it's just a small hatchback with an underpowered engine, unnecessarily huge wheels and half a ton of extra metal bolted onto the outside.

Even the Enyaq, which is probably the most practical family EV on the market right now can't compete on cargo space with a Golf estate, let alone the much better Passat.

10cm of extra height can be the difference between being able to get things on and off a roof rack unaided or needing to find a step, which matters even more when you can't fit everything in the back of the car.

It's not a limitation of electric cars, a model 3 with the back squared off would have more cargo space than even a huge SUV like an XC90.

The Kia Niro has decent cargo space. I hope they keep making the EV, I really like mine.

What I want is the largest Ford EV Transit with 2x the current battery or more. Maybe that will happen before my Kia lease runs out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

VideoGameVet posted:

The Kia Niro has decent cargo space. I hope they keep making the EV, I really like mine.

I’ve been very pleased with mine so far too. The name might change to EV4 or something but I bet they keep it around.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

No, gently caress that. This isn't the thread for an ethical capitalism debate, but a mention of Elon posting a pro Hitler meme? Yup it belongs here in the thread where people might be buying an electric car and want to be informed.

I agree with this, it's completely relevant to the thread and is definitely not just "muskchat".

E: the litmus test should be "if the CEO of Ford or Toyota posted it, would it be worth posting here?" If the CEO of Ford posted a Hitler meme I would absolutely want people itt to know about it

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 19, 2022

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Well my wife test drove the EV6 with me and is 100 percent on board now. Only thing stopping us is 1) getting it for or very near MSRP (our test drive dealer was adding 10k on lol) and 2) selling our old car first (going to try tred like another poster suggested). Even if it sells and we take a while to find our trim at MSRP we can get by with the cars we have. She just doesn't want us getting it without also getting rid of the old car first.

Thanks all for the help and advice!

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

I agree with this, it's completely relevant to the thread and is definitely not just "muskchat".

E: the litmus test should be "if the CEO of Ford or Toyota posted it, would it be worth posting here?" If the CEO of Ford posted a Hitler meme I would absolutely want people itt to know about it

I will counter with its 2022 and who is making a purchasing decision on a tweet that doesn't already have a formed opinion on Musk already.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

Well my wife test drove the EV6 with me and is 100 percent on board now. Only thing stopping us is 1) getting it for or very near MSRP (our test drive dealer was adding 10k on lol) and 2) selling our old car first (going to try tred like another poster suggested). Even if it sells and we take a while to find our trim at MSRP we can get by with the cars we have. She just doesn't want us getting it without also getting rid of the old car first.

Thanks all for the help and advice!

I pulled into the local kia lot and they had 2 ev6s there. Nice to see one in person. Sales rep came outside to chat me up, so I figured I’d see what their deal was. Told them I was driving from dealer to dealer between kia and ford seeing who will sell me a car at msrp on the spot. Guy just shook his head and said they were keeping it at 10k markup for now. Got him to walk away quickly at least so I could just oogle the car a bit.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's hilarious how indifferent sales people are now to customers just walking away. But there seems to be at least some cracks in this as I see more cars that are marked up sit on lots.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
It was also sad to me how much more I knew about the car than the drat salesman did.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chin Strap posted:

It was also sad to me how much more I knew about the car than the drat salesman did.

Salesmen don’t know dick about the product; They know how to shake down financially-illiterate people.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rusty posted:

It's hilarious how indifferent sales people are now to customers just walking away. But there seems to be at least some cracks in this as I see more cars that are marked up sit on lots.

It makes sense from their perspective. They’re paid on commission that’s based on the sales price. In normal times selling a car at low margin doesn’t preclude you from making other high margin sales, or from selling enough volume at low margin to make good money. But when you have very limited inventory there’s a big opportunity cost to selling a car that you make little money on because you can only make so many sales before you’re just out of things to sell. The model isn’t great in the best of times but it absolutely falls apart during a supply crunch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jimong5 posted:

I will counter with its 2022 and who is making a purchasing decision on a tweet that doesn't already have a formed opinion on Musk already.

come on dogg, we had Tesla owners in this very thread reacting to the news

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It makes sense from their perspective. They’re paid on commission that’s based on the sales price. In normal times selling a car at low margin doesn’t preclude you from making other high margin sales, or from selling enough volume at low margin to make good money. But when you have very limited inventory there’s a big opportunity cost to selling a car that you make little money on because you can only make so many sales before you’re just out of things to sell. The model isn’t great in the best of times but it absolutely falls apart during a supply crunch.
yeah, makes total sense, and it's also nice to be able to look at cars without being jumped on instantly by a sales person. But also not a great market to buy cars in.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

come on dogg, we had Tesla owners in this very thread reacting to the news

But I'll react to anything, let's be honest.

I mean, you could post a photo of a spark plug and I'd probably react to it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

cruft posted:

I mean, you could post a photo of a spark plug and I'd probably react to it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

:golfclap:

technically a spark socket

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
CCS Type 1 looks so weird when you're used to Type 2 connectors

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The problem here is that orange cover that you can destroy if it's not closed all the way when you shut the door. Does it actually serve any purpose? I'm not sure, but I bet DoomTrain knows!

moparacker
May 8, 2007

dissss posted:

Weird is an understatement.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cruft posted:

The problem here is that orange cover that you can destroy if it's not closed all the way when you shut the door. Does it actually serve any purpose? I'm not sure, but I bet DoomTrain knows!

Dust and dirt.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

dissss posted:

Don't be picky. When the feeling's right, it's all good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jimong5 posted:

No, I don't agree with that at all. Like I said, if the CEO of Ford posted a Nazi meme that would have immediately taken the Mustang off the table when I was shopping for EVs. I took a serious look at the Model 3 just a few months ago, I even test drove one - but I don't think that I would have done that now.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

What I want is the largest Ford EV Transit with 2x the current battery or more. Maybe that will happen before my Kia lease runs out.

We've got an eNiro but we also have 2 children and a dog. We went into the test drive with a 2015 C4 cactus and a 2009 Saab 9-5 open to replacing either but it was immediately obvious it wasn't big enough. It's a great car for my wife's 40 mile commute, and fine for day trips and overnight stays with grandparents where we don't have to pack the world. But there's no way it'd work for a week away, or any trip where we have to bring the pram, or a travel cot or a bike or worst case all 3.

If the Enyaq had been available in 2019 we'd probably have got that instead, but it's a £40k (realistically £45 by the time you've specced it anywhere near what we got for £35k in the Niro) and is still significantly less practical than a £28k Diesel Superb. £17k buys you an awful lot of diesel.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

They make a Superb PHEV

https://www.skoda.co.uk/electric-hybrid-cars/superb-iv

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

They do, but it starts at £37,000 which is close enough to the Enyaq to not bother. There are no UK incentives for PHEVs and it's too new for there to be any second hand market. The battery takes up something like 30% of the cargo space and it's MPG is appalling once you run out of charge. I was considering a second hand Passat GTE before the car market got silly.

I was at the Kia dealer today trying to get a charging issue with our Niro sorted and had a look in an EV6. It was a really nice thing and I kind of want one but the sloping rear really kills the space. I think I need to go and sit in an Enyaq but the trim on the EV6 is much nicer for the same price. The salesman was trying to convince me to part exchange the (2019) Niro which is something we hadn't considered (and replace the Saab with a second hand Leaf or Zoe). It's tempting because it looks like we'd get about £34k for it (down from £36k new) but we'd lose the government 0% loan we've currently got and the list of eligible cars is much smaller now (nothing over £32k).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

QuarkJets posted:

No, I don't agree with that at all. Like I said, if the CEO of Ford posted a Nazi meme that would have immediately taken the Mustang off the table when I was shopping for EVs. I took a serious look at the Model 3 just a few months ago, I even test drove one - but I don't think that I would have done that now.

Don't let lovely politics limit your options. Not that I don't frequently wish Musk would shut the gently caress up, but ultimately you can't really buy anything or go anywhere without directly or indirectly supporting douche CEOs. The other automaker CEOs are also jerks, but they are quiet about it thanks to PR and marketing departments keeping their traps shut.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

moparacker posted:

Weird is an understatement.

Hahaho

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Dust and dirt.

Okay sure, but then why doesn't it cover the J1772 part?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
"The 7500 tax credit will help offset the 10k market adjustment though!" Jesus gently caress off with that garbo logic. I'm sad for the number of folks that must work on though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
"There's markup if you are out of state" is a new one to me. Is that crap commonplace?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cuttin’ in line? That’s a markup.

Talkin’ in class? That’s a markup.

Markin’ up the price of the car? You better believe that’s a markup.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Canada folks: do you see markups on vehicles? It’s not something I’ve seen and I don’t know if it is due to :canada: thriftiness or legislation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Chin Strap posted:

"There's markup if you are out of state" is a new one to me. Is that crap commonplace?

That seems like a good question for a lawyer, wow.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cruft posted:

Hahaho

Okay sure, but then why doesn't it cover the J1772 part?

It’s used more lol.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

priznat posted:

Canada folks: do you see markups on vehicles? It’s not something I’ve seen and I don’t know if it is due to :canada: thriftiness or legislation.

The Kia dealer in Vancouver wouldn't budge from the ~$5k above MSRP they wanted on a Kona but happily let us take a test drive, and the North Van dealer wouldn't allow a test drive but happily sold us a car they had on their lot at MSRP. This was 18 months ago though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t think “doesn’t live nearby” is a protected class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Probably talked to at least 30 dealers only one said they don't do market adjustments at all but they just don't have any GT lines right now. Every single one of the rest said they won't consider removing the adjustment. Told them all to call me back when they will. The waiting game begins.