Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Here's how Ghost Raptor can still win:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh good Overhaul is here to stink up the joint

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

RBA Starblade posted:

Here's how Ghost Raptor can still win:

Re-entering as four separate robots?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Who did Blip team bribe to draw Rusty and Overhaul for their first two matches?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DarklyDreaming posted:

Re-entering as four separate robots?

Ghost Compies

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Weird Retrograde didn't go with the undercutter for Huge. I dunno what the lifter is supposed to do

Edit: yeahhhhh seems like you want to go into a fight with a win condition in mind.

lol Huge doing the victory dance on the upper deck

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 18, 2022

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Holy poo poo Huge

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lmao at the Huuuuuge touchdown celebration

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

lol at all those fights

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Copperhead looks insane

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'd expect Whiplash to win, but they did get KO'd by extremely Skorpios-like bot Sawblaze

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol at that being a split decision

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Weird split decision. Whiplash went in basically without a weapon, which should hurt them bad in the score, but Skorpios didn't connect once with theirs anyway.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What fight was Lisa watching? :psyduck:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
rip ghost raptor it was not good

blip seriously has wheelie issues but drat that's a fun bot

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I don't remember a bot coming apart like Ghost Raptor since the first season when Tombstone destroyed Counter Revolution.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I don't remember a bot coming apart like Ghost Raptor since the first season when Tombstone destroyed Counter Revolution.

its gonna be the new https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUlGMKCBBE

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Thought Blip might go far after their first fight. Seemed like its flipper was slow to recharge tonight though. Think Hydra might kick its rear end if both were 100%. Flip a coin.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Son of Whyachi didn't even deliver that level of damage to Ghost Raptor

I'd love to know if Huge got in trouble with production at all for intentionally driving onto the shelf (a move that totally ruled).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's no way Huge got in trouble for driving up on the shelf to dance at the end.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Besides son of whyachi, jackpot also nearly ripped ghost raptor in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY3q-ZipPlw

I thought it had been torn apart before but I seem to be misremembering.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I was thinking that Ghost Raptor was ripped apart before also, but I guess it must be another bot... I don't remember which bot it was that had both sides of it's drive separated and trying to drive around though...

But that was probably the most :rip: in pieces moment ever... and likely something that is going to get added to a lot of the vertical spinners strategy in the future. Just ram the other bot as hard as possible into the rails and feed it into the spinner. Something is going to break on at least 1 of the bots :lol:

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Cobalt having its spinner on top instead of the front has been a liability against bots with a good ground game. But against ghost raptor it gave them the hammer saw effect of being able to spin it up and then apply full energy at impact.

Bots with a front facing spinner wouldn't be able to do that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I actually recommend the Battlebots Facebook group to anyone who's a fan. I know, I know, Facebook, BUT a ton of the builders are active on there and answering questions constantly.

Something that came up today I've been wondering about: Why do these bots have forks thin enough to get stuck in the killsaw slots. The builders say they widened the slots between seasons and didn't tell anyone, so it was just a fun surprise for anyone with forks.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I always wanted a UK style pit, but I know that's never going to happen. But after the discussion about making the floor uneven to gently caress with the whole fork/wedgelet game I think I'd be happy to have some UK style cobblestones as the arena floor.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Something that came up today I've been wondering about : Why do these bots have forks thin enough to get stuck in the killsaw slots. The builders say they widened the slots between seasons and didn't tell anyone, so it was just a fun surprise for anyone with forks.

R/battlebots is a busy place where the teams post an awful lot too.

I think it was on there or the really good 'Behind the Bots' podcast (the interview with Faruq is ace) where one of the drivers mentions that the slots were widened so they could have the sparks at the start of the battles. This was done without notifying any of the teams (who are almost forensic in their knowledge of the arena anatomy) so all of the forks were designed for much smaller slots in mind.

I loved seeing Huge on the stage. Is there any other robot that could get up there??

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I always wanted a UK style pit, but I know that's never going to happen. But after the discussion about making the floor uneven to gently caress with the whole fork/wedgelet game I think I'd be happy to have some UK style cobblestones as the arena floor.

ever since Hypno-Disc vs Bigger Brother I cannot ever abide by an instant death pit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

R/battlebots is a busy place where the teams post an awful lot too.

I think it was on there or the really good 'Behind the Bots' podcast (the interview with Faruq is ace) where one of the drivers mentions that the slots were widened so they could have the sparks at the start of the battles. This was done without notifying any of the teams (who are almost forensic in their knowledge of the arena anatomy) so all of the forks were designed for much smaller slots in mind.

I loved seeing Huge on the stage. Is there any other robot that could get up there??

I hope the finals end with someone getting jammed into the slots and counted out

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rondette posted:

I think it's the only one that could just drive up, maybe a flipper could launch themselves onto it.

I loved how cavalier the Blip team was with self-flipping. I was nervous the whole time expecting some classic break-your-own-bot schadenfreude, but that lil guy is sturdy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh boy, imagine if last season's Duck had a flipper built under it so it could just cannonball itself into the other bots ......

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rondette posted:

I would imagine some of the control bots might be able to pull themselves up there.

Also possible some of the drum spinners could manage to use the gyro dancing to get up on the ledge, but it's probably 50/50 they'd just end up high centered on it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There was that vertical spinner a couple episodes ago that popped himself onto it

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Real good fights and it's hilarious to know the slots got changed up which ultimately screwed with the forks arms race.

I get the idea that it was a close match for the final fight, but I don't think it was split-decision close. Sometimes they show the scorecards, would be good to see them this time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ror posted:

I think it's the only one that could just drive up, maybe a flipper could launch themselves onto it.

I loved how cavalier the Blip team was with self-flipping. I was nervous the whole time expecting some classic break-your-own-bot schadenfreude, but that lil guy is sturdy.

One of the team members on Reddit said they were doing that because the switch on their controller broke so they got stuck in full power mode.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I'd expect Whiplash to win, but they did get KO'd by extremely Skorpios-like bot Sawblaze

I'm convinced the only reason anyone expects skorpios to do well is because it reminds them of sawblaze

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TheKnife posted:

I'm convinced the only reason anyone expects skorpios to do well is because it reminds them of sawblaze

And the fact that it wins a lot of matches

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheKnife posted:

That Bounty Hunter ep was real badass. I think everyone sees them in a different light after that.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Probably an unpopular opinion but I have never really cared for Scorpios at all. It's just a less entertaining, worse version of Sawblaze.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Skorpios is good at driving, Sawblaze is good at punching holes in armour.

Probably one of the best at targeted armour holes, actually.

I also like the Skorpios team although I was surprised and horrified that the captain/driver Zack guy is younger than me (he's like, 32)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

I was surprised and horrified that the captain/driver Zack guy is younger than me (he's like, 32)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG8d0x1WcAc