Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I just received a very demeaning letter FedEx’d to my home from the job I left 4 months ago, reminding me of the confidentiality and non-disclosure forms I signed when I was hired in 2014, and happily explained that they would seek immediate legal action if they suspected I had violated the agreement.

“But we hope that won’t be necessary” indeed. Go gently caress yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

evilpicard posted:

When my company had to recapitalize during wave1 they gave us all a 6 month deadline to use vacation time, "because we think pandemic will be over then and we'll be so busy there won't be any time for vacations!"

Obvious lie but I'm not mad because they didn't end up doing any layoffs or cutting benefts the way our competitors did.

My company didn't put a timeline on using vacation in 2020, but that was largely because we have a use-it-or-lose-it policy. Every year on January 1st no matter how much time we had left on December 31st our vacation time is instantly the hours we're supposed to have based on how long we've been there. It means the company has zero concern if we don't take our time off. Apparently no one took vacation time in 2020 and so the company automatically rolled over a week, or whatever you had left if it was under a week, for 2021. At the end of last year we all got an email announcing that the policy wouldn't continue into 2022, which I think is the company's way of telling us things are going back to pre-pandemic this year even if a 9/11 of people are dying each day. Save for Work From Home, that seems to be sticking around.

I signed up for a refreshed laptop a few weeks ago and checked the status yesterday. It's listed as "building." These are off the rack Dells that they literally keep in a vending machine in our tech support center. I'm very confused.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

FreshFeesh posted:

I just received a very demeaning letter FedEx’d to my home from the job I left 4 months ago, reminding me of the confidentiality and non-disclosure forms I signed when I was hired in 2014, and happily explained that they would seek immediate legal action if they suspected I had violated the agreement.

“But we hope that won’t be necessary” indeed. Go gently caress yourselves.

It's FedEx so they probably sent it 3 months ago

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sounds like someone hosed up and then they sent a reminder so everyone who fucks up will easily get fired.

I have to read a conduct training every year.. attest I read it and am presented with any handbook changes.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Lazyfire posted:

I signed up for a refreshed laptop a few weeks ago and checked the status yesterday. It's listed as "building." These are off the rack Dells that they literally keep in a vending machine in our tech support center. I'm very confused.

Probably pre-loading it with all your company specific software and user profile poo poo etc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Probably pre-loading it with all your company specific software and user profile poo poo etc.

If it's anything like the people who took over our PC deployment management, they're also trying to figure out what the gently caress just broke on this new image because the people who make the image can't be bothered to test that everything works.

Well, that's not entirely fair. They leave the "Figure out what's broken" part to us and then declare that it's not effecting everyone, so it's just break/fix we can handle... Even if it's a couple hundred computers deployed to our area of responsibility and the fix takes about an hour.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
They just paid me a full bonus and a 9k raise, what idiots!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Killswitch posted:

Yeah, they should have given you more! Idiots!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Killswitch posted:

Our stock price has doubled since 2020 even though we've actually been selling less poo poo and have been hosed by the semiconductor shortage and they're actually paying out bonuses at 200% this year. I was already planning on dropping the entire bonus on the mortgage principal, but now we have extra to get some work done too.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

The battery on my wife's laptop started expanding a few months back (like, the keyboard/mouse area of her laptop was developing a bump) and they moved everything to a new computer in 20 minutes. We work for the same company so I know they could do the same for me. If they asked me to show up with my current laptop and move everything to a new one I would be there tomorrow, this thing is four years old and likes to bluescreen if I dare shut it down or restart. It also likes to disconnect from the VPN at the exact moment meetings are starting, which takes about five minutes to fix on its own or about two if you notice there's a problem. I reset the VPN five minutes before my interview today to try to keep that from happening at the worst possible time. VPN disconnected in the 45 seconds between the interview and the next meeting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The obvious answer is to steal your coworkers laptop.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

The battery on my wife's laptop started expanding a few months back (like, the keyboard/mouse area of her laptop was developing a bump)

This is how you get baby laptops.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

McGavin posted:

This is how you get baby laptops.

Fertilisation can be a challenge though, since a casual glance at the port configuration will reveal that the vast majority of worker laptops are female.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atopian posted:

Fertilisation can be a challenge though, since a casual glance at the port configuration will reveal that the vast majority of worker laptops are female.

IT, uh, finds a way

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

IT, uh, finds a way

Just use a male to male adapter

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Just use a male to male adapter

Requiem for a dream but he's saying USB to USB

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrangersInTheNight posted:

But there's literally 1099 contractors and W2 contractors

I was a W-2 contractor ! In my case the host organism organization had a contractor with an MSP. I was an FTE of the MSP, payroll taxes were paid so the Labor Board was happy. The host company can treat that workforce like bitches, withhold all sorts of bennies that someone who is an FTE of the host would get, and the labor board won't care because you're an FTE of somebody else.

The design studio I worked for got bit by the NY Labor Board over treating 1099 contractors like employees (Do work for XCorp, on an XCorp schedule, at an XCorp facility, with XCorp equipment, as supervised by an XCorp employee, with an XCorp email address, to XCorp policies and standards, etc etc etc). After that, contractors 100% did not get a company laptop, email address, or phone number.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Atopian posted:

Something something keyboard goop

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Interviewing for new positions. Likely candidate position comes up, they're just about ready to make an offer as long as I come in for an in-person interview, but they haven't mentioned PTO at all (while touching on holidays and sick time). Asked about it directly.

"Well, the owner is kind of old fashioned about PTO versus sick time and vacation time..." So vacation time accrues 5 days a year... starting after you've been there a year, from what I pieced together. Christ, people. You almost had me. Still going to go for the in-person interview because interviewing experience doesn't hurt and maybe she miscommunicated, but drat.

Calling back on this - interviewed with them because they were available during my time off, and interviewing without taking the offer doesn't really hurt & gives useful experience.

20 minutes from start of interview to admission they're discriminating on candidates based on a protected class (that they probably assumed I'd support since it was favorable to me). Like... why would you admit that to a candidate, let alone one you haven't even given an offer to yet? The rest was enough demonstration not to take the offer, but took effort to suppress a comment on that one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SkyeAuroline posted:

Calling back on this - interviewed with them because they were available during my time off, and interviewing without taking the offer doesn't really hurt & gives useful experience.

20 minutes from start of interview to admission they're discriminating on candidates based on a protected class (that they probably assumed I'd support since it was favorable to me). Like... why would you admit that to a candidate, let alone one you haven't even given an offer to yet? The rest was enough demonstration not to take the offer, but took effort to suppress a comment on that one.

Just Old Fashioned Owner things, OP.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

Report them. They're gonna keep doing it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Something something keyboard goop

I remember opening that thread at work

Fortunately, only me and the lab technician (who happens to be one of my best friends) were in the office, but gently caress me, I’ve never closed a window so fast as when I scrolled down to the action

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Scientastic posted:

I remember opening that thread at work

Fortunately, only me and the lab technician (who happens to be one of my best friends) were in the office, but gently caress me, I’ve never closed a window so fast as when I scrolled down to the action

Coward

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mllaneza posted:

I was a W-2 contractor ! In my case the host organism organization had a contractor with an MSP. I was an FTE of the MSP, payroll taxes were paid so the Labor Board was happy. The host company can treat that workforce like bitches, withhold all sorts of bennies that someone who is an FTE of the host would get, and the labor board won't care because you're an FTE of somebody else.

The design studio I worked for got bit by the NY Labor Board over treating 1099 contractors like employees (Do work for XCorp, on an XCorp schedule, at an XCorp facility, with XCorp equipment, as supervised by an XCorp employee, with an XCorp email address, to XCorp policies and standards, etc etc etc). After that, contractors 100% did not get a company laptop, email address, or phone number.

I was placed through a big staffing agency to what was supposed to be a temp-to-hire job, but the host company kept kicking the actual hiring down the road so I had all the duties and responsibilities of one of their actual employees in the exact same position but none of the benefits. They also had mandatory overtime that they kept insisting was temporary but it never loving ended. The staffing agency would have one of their reps come through sometimes and nod and smile but actually avoid discussing anything with me. This was in a call center, so the one time the fucker came over to talk to me I got a call so had to work, and he gestured to suggest we'd talk later, then never interacted with me again. If I emailed the staffing agency they would say I needed to talk to the host company, and if I emailed the host company they would say I needed to talk to the staffing agency. It was absurd.

Eventually I got fed up and just stopped working the mandatory overtime, and started taking hour-long lunches, which was my original schedule at this place. I figured someone would notice and talk to me, but day after day, week after week went by and I kept clocking in and out on my old schedule and nobody said a drat thing. It was Kafka-esque going in every day expecting to have a supervisor confront me, and every day having nobody comment on the fact I was not following their mandatory overtime rules. This went on for months.

By the end I was so burned out and had decided to exit that I didn't file any complaints with the labor board, I just more or less called in until I simply stopped going.

Oh, and about halfway through my employment there the host company was bought out by IBM, which definitely did not improve things.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

SkyeAuroline posted:

What did they admit to?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Beartaco posted:

What did they admit to?

Only considering male applicants for the position (that has absolutely no qualities to need that) despite women applying as well. Not even considering the latter.

... as explained at some length by the two women doing the interview. Seemed pretty clear cut to me, but unfortunately didn't think to record that interview until it was already underway - I normally just record phone calls, didn't expect to need to record in-person this time. Would just be my word against theirs trying to report it.

(I'm not out IRL, so they would have probably seen it as a "benefit" for me, despite that it's very much... not a benefit to be seen that way, even setting aside any legal aspect.)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the schadenfreude thread:

Sanctum posted:

Yeah oh my god I remember getting an approved vacation months in advance, reminding the supervisors and the duty manager before leaving, and saying goodbye to everyone. First day on vacation I got an urgent text from the general manager saying UAX has no supervisor right now and I am needed immediately. I just replied with a picture of me climbing up a mountain in another state and the words "Sorry on vacation." I went out of cell phone range and when I got back at the end of the day my phone exploded with 100+ texts and missed calls from panicked group chats and co-workers asking if I was going to quit/be fired.

Management knew I was on vacation but my operation was grossly understaffed and they put zero thought into who would cover. When things went to poo poo they were looking for someone to blame. They wanted to blame me for... being on vacation. It wasn't just that they were short a supervisor, my shift had zero coverage for call-offs and I was the only one that could coax workers to pull doubles. I never expected people working doubles to do as much work and always thanked them for helping out. Without me people were calling off and no one was willing to stay late to cover because other supervisors expected everyone to bust their asses. Dudes working OT can leave anytime they want and know this. Be nice and don't piss them off.

The client company was furious and there was hell to pay. Management was in a panic because the client put the contract 'on review' and made clear they would cancel if improvements were not made. Management got what they deserved, this is what happens when you employ the bare minimum number of people. I knew upper management had to get the operation moving eventually and once they calmed down they would realize there's no way they can blame me for going on an approved vacation. The problem is staffing and that is solely their fault. You idiots. You fools.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Takes No Damage posted:

That's like 90% of workplaces.

I took 10 days off in December and even though I was monitoring emails I'm still not back on track because of it and the holiday season. Still way behind on a bunch of reporting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Takes No Damage posted:

quote:

once they calmed down they would realize there's no way they can blame me for going on an approved vacation. The problem is staffing and that is solely their fault. You idiots. You fools.

:thunk:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

A perfect example of "A lack of planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is the company dumb for only hiring minimum staff or the person who works so much that they don’t see a reason to hire more people?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Invalid Validation posted:

Is the company dumb for only hiring minimum staff or the person who works so much that they don’t see a reason to hire more people?

The company is dumb for not preventing the possibility of one man's absence leading to a cascade failure.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Answer: capitalism is bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The mistake was approving the leave request in the first place

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Answer: capitalism is bad.

This is always the answer.

Yeah,it's the company's fault for letting themselves get onto a bus factor 1 state. gently caress em

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Welp, we just got the official "easing of COVID restrictions" email from HR and if they think that's going to stop me from wearing a mask in the office they're nuts. If I could turn my desk into a clean room, I would. I absolutely do not trust any of these motherfuckers not to get me sick with a cold, let alone COVID.

... sorry if that was incoherent. We've been back in the office for just over a week and the only effects I've noticed on our overall performance is "things are worse and they've taken more of our problem-solving tools away for no reason." We were doing better working from home than in the office, except now when we have conflicts we can just yell right at each other instead of in addition to sending passive-aggressive emails.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Welp, we just got the official "easing of COVID restrictions" email from HR and if they think that's going to stop me from wearing a mask in the office they're nuts. If I could turn my desk into a clean room, I would. I absolutely do not trust any of these motherfuckers not to get me sick with a cold, let alone COVID.

... sorry if that was incoherent. We've been back in the office for just over a week and the only effects I've noticed on our overall performance is "things are worse and they've taken more of our problem-solving tools away for no reason." We were doing better working from home than in the office, except now when we have conflicts we can just yell right at each other instead of in addition to sending passive-aggressive emails.

I don't think I trust anyone without a harried, concerned or anxious look on their face these days.

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

Outrail posted:

The obvious answer is to steal your coworkers laptop.

I feel the better answer is to know where IT hold their stock of poorly inventoried laptops.

It would be a bloody shame if some unauthorised/unnoticed person could access said laptops.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I already told management that Im going to be masking up for a good long while, local mandates be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Embrace the end times and declare yourself pestilence.