Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i wonder how the empire is doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

If the time limit for rifts runs out when you're in a Chaos Realm are you just ejected? I'm in Slaanesh's now, and I'm going to miss getting to the bottom by 1 turn if I'm seeing this correctly.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Tag yourself i'm Dod.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

I find Iron Hails to not be handgunner replacements - they're more like a weird sort of close range damage-pushing unit. They are terrible at doing the things handgunners do due to their lack of range, but their raw damage output means that they really shine at putting down nasty stuff that hits your line. Jade Warriors will get smoked by, say, ogres, but a unit or two of Iron Hails standing behind the warriors can simply shoot the ogres dead once they get tarpitted.

I guess the closest analogy I can think of to normal TWW unit roles I can think of is they're similar to the symbiotic relationship between monstrous infantry and chaff - just like Crypt Horrors love having skeletons/zombies to tank for them, or trolls love having gobbos, or kroxigors love having skinks, Iron Hails provide functional DPS for your jade warriors and spearmen. I like to include one for every 3 or so units of melee(which usually balances out to 2-3 units in a stack).

Yeah I think the most use I got out of them was the same way I would use free company shooting stuff in the back, a high damage dealer but very fragile. The issue is they're less mobile than free company and I just never saw the point over crossbows, whereas free company are good light infantry with the advantage you can use them as free DPS, hail gunners are only DPS and absolutely melted any time even like a peasant archer would direct fire towards them. And even ogres seemed to melt quite well with enough crossbows shooting them, and failing that for precise AP damage I have crane guns. Also with charge reflection I have honestly found spear units super good at stopping charging units in general, even ogres seem to struggle against peasant longspears if they're braced and have harmony buffs, nevermind actual tough stuff like jade halberds.

They can certainly do a lot of damage, I just found them too fragile to really be comfortable bringing them, they work great as long as absolutely nothing whatsoever tries to attack them, and the minute things did I would lose whole units in a moment.

Eventually of course you can get celestial crossbows which do AP damage anyway so if you can afford them they seem like they would be better.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 19, 2022

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Randarkman posted:

If the time limit for rifts runs out when you're in a Chaos Realm are you just ejected? I'm in Slaanesh's now, and I'm going to miss getting to the bottom by 1 turn if I'm seeing this correctly.

You stay in there. I actually ran a test on this by hanging out in Nurgle's realm for a while in encamp, ran out the clock and waited till the next set of rifts open and popped the gatekeeper. The downside to doing this is it counts as getting the soul for that rift cycle. I didn't think to check to see if you could send someone else into a different portal.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

Tag yourself i'm Dod.

I'm Skrag the Slaugh.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ethiser posted:

So with Kairos is it kind of a trap to expand into Cathay too fast? I went in and took out Miao Ying because she only had her original settlement, but most of the stuff around is yellow or red terrain so I’m worried I’m going to ruin my economy or at least take forever to get higher tier buildings. Also boy is this Tzeentch replenishment bad. I never want to autoresolve because it takes way to long to get back to full strength.

I believe Kairos himself gets a skill that raises it by 6%. Which is just amazing.

On higher difficulties expect to fight almost every fight, including against small trash armies, manually. Unless you know your army won't be fighting for a while or its a garrison that isn't about to be hit again soon. It's better for the human factions because they get better replenishment but this is the name of the game now.

If you want to you could use the unlimited winds exploit (not uncommon since many people will do it accidentally, especially with Kairos/Tzeentch) to take out the trash armies that aren't worth a ton of you time but that is up to you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Marin Karin posted:

Speaking of confederation, I got a quest to do just that as Daemons.

The thing is... Who can I even confederate as the daemon prince?

Pretty sure you can't confederate anyone and it's a mistake.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Can you save your progress in a demon realm or something? I got into Slaanesh's realm on the second turn of the chaos incursion but Plaguedad was already on the second-to-last ring of the circle somehow. I took a screencap right before he claimed the soul and it spat me back out.

Man, this is going to add like another 25 turns to my campaign, isn't it. Should have made more manual saves. :sweatdrop:

Edit: Just noticed incremental autosaves are on by default! I guess I can just do Tzeench instead this go-round. Still, what the heck?

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 19, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I've confedded all of Cathay short of Zhao and feel confident I can get him or he'll be a useful Mil Ally all game. Some thoughts:

1) Make sure you do the full Diplomatic dance, it's free friendship points. Trade and/or NAP, get the other, Mil Access, Def Ally, Mil Ally. Check your quick deals every turn. You might want to use a little money early on to crack the wall, I definitely spent 2k gold just to get Zhao to start this dance within my first 5 turns because he looked like classic "pain in the rear end rival, LL faction that goes big" war dec later if I didn't. Yes, allies can get you into ugly war decs and reliability traps if you have too many, blah blah TWWH2 caution in allies. All my friends were fighting the starting Greenskin and Skaven factions, Zhao got mad at the Ogres and they all seem reluctant to war dec each other because every Cathay faction(every TWWH3 non-demon faction?) starts at war with like 6 rogues/demon armies. There were 2 sub-factions that fought each other but I got the alliances in after their war dec so I didn't get the reliability trap.

2) The diplomacy screen has the same Def/Mil Ally features as TWWH2 but look at them closely, your ally can offer you missions near the "choose coordinated target" icon. I'd accept any missions here if they were a small or nearby foe I planned to fight at some time. You may also get credit for these automatically if you do them while they're available but not accepted, I got allegiance for busting a demon gate army that warped in but didn't actively look for the mission, I was just mopping up.

3) Be ascendant in power. I've been top 3 of Str all game. If you hold all 3 gates this is much easier because you can have 3 20 stacks camp them for the price of not even 2 full armies. Just be really careful about withdrawing more than 1 at a time from the gates to do stuff. All my confeds came as I eclipsed their number of settlements and/or armies dramatically, especially if they lost some of those armies. I got my most recent confed of an 8 settlement sub faction because they lost at least 1 settlement to a rebel ogres spawn that took and held the city awhile and at least 1 army to retaking that and/or demon gate spawns. Their willingness to confed skyrocketed in that window.

4) Remember you can't confed for 5 turns after a confed, you hard can't and they give you -40 rep with the entire faction for those 5 turns too.

5) Harmony. Balanced is a +40 friendship buff with Cathay factions.

6) The Long Term Bribe Game. Give at least a med gift every turn if your positive income can support it. You can still upgrade cities by winning fights/sacking big cities for income spikes. Don't do long term bribes at the cost of staying in the green vs your army upkeep.

All that said you may be truly bugged which stinks but the process seems dramatically smoother this time around, like I'm playing a variant of Empire. I've just been doing well and picking up districts of my homeland like they're electors.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 19, 2022

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The most important thing to be able to confederate someone is them being in danger in my experience. There's not a lot you can do directly to influence that but I wouldn't, for example, take provinces on the other side of someone I wanted to confederate (like pushing north to the sea as Katerina past the neutral Kislevites she starts under). The best chance to confederate someone is usually right after they lose an army or one of their cities gets put under siege. A defensive alliance could be useful for keeping an eye on this since it gives you vision over them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ill be honest i am poo poo at this game but i feel like the slaanesh units are really something special. i am normally dogshit at micro with chariots and cavalry but the slaanesh stuff all works like a dream. the chariots just plow through entire units without slowing, and it's so easy to reposition them. they seem to move differently to any other unit, they don't get hung up as much.

except in settlement battles

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Finished Cathay campaign. VH, 131 turns.

Realms of Chaos: Absolutely awful. All the four chaos realms are bad. The best one is actually Khorne, cause with luck you can finish it in 4 or 5 turns. Slaneesh isn't that good, the rewards are fine, but it takes almost 10 turns to complete, and you don't want to delay the soul collecting, because the AI does and can collect the souls all in one go. Nurgle is boring. Tzeentch will actively make you hate the game, don't make it your last realm unless you want pain.

There's basically no way to avoid this like the Vortex, unless you're willing to have an agent character per region to close the rifts, and then play super aggressive against the AI.

Also someone asked, but yes, if you get the skaven building in your capital you do get 100% chaos trait removal, so that's up to 4 turns your LL has to spend not doing anything after leaving.

Final battle: Don't bring range, or artillery. Just walls of spearmanii and how many your biggest and meanest monster your economy can support. For the last stage don't even bother with the towers just spam your mean monster reinforcement and more spearmanii. Khorne probably has the easiest time here. Dunno how Tzeentch goes through this, maybe 19 soul grinders. or something. For Cathay just bring Miao/Zhao with Celestial Dragon Guard and Sentinels. You do want infantry or in the last stage Belakor will take your point.

Cathay:

They're good. Fun even! Love the cannons, big boom sound. Great infantry/range/artillery. But their cavalry is absolute garbage, don't even bother getting the building. The ballons need a big buff, more ammo more bomb drops more speed. I think the compass should have those two spells as bound instead. Needs a good fighting lord/hero.

Battle harmony is fine, but they need to revise it for the cavalry, they get nothing useful nor will it ever be that active. Bring in a skirmish cav and make it give a speed bonus so you run pairs of skirmish and heavy cav or something I dunno.

Campaign harmony is also nice. Potential annoying on paper but flows quite decent.

Bastion Wall and Caravans are good, and as the campaign develops they do get more involved. You can actually gently caress up things bad enough with the caravans that they won't make it past their first two stops aka don't get into fights with the ogres in the mountains(gently caress you Zhao)

The compass is whatever.

Final thoughts: Game good, but Realms of Chaos terrible. Give mod that makes rifts spawn after turn billion or something.

Might try a Khorne game where I just raze everything down and don't waste time on the rifts.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Doomykins posted:

All that said you may be truly bugged which stinks but the process seems dramatically smoother this time around, like I'm playing a variant of Empire. I've just been doing well and picking up districts of my homeland like they're electors.

So far it seems like confederating Zhao is nigh-on impossible if it is possible at all. Not saying you won't find a way, just saying that it seems to be a well a lot of people are tossing their resources down with no luck.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So when does CA or Steam open up the workshop on this game for people to start modding? Just curious since people are already in the game files.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So do yin and yang need to be balanced overall or in every respect? Right now I have two yin characters and one yang technology - I tried adding a yang character but that flipped my harmony in the other direction because of their harmony multiplier. I’m researching the harmony balance - yang tech, that should make things harmonious, right?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I’m having a hard time as Nurgle with this Quest battle against dwarves. They essentially get two stacks worth of units (bs artillery reinforcements that aren’t listed in the quest).

How can I beat this with just one stack?

I’ve tried using nurglings and beasts of nurgle to tarpit while casting spells but the dwarves are hearty and don’t die fast enough.

Am I to wait until I have tier 4/5 units for this quest?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Frog Act posted:

So do yin and yang need to be balanced overall or in every respect? Right now I have two yin characters and one yang technology - I tried adding a yang character but that flipped my harmony in the other direction because of their harmony multiplier. I’m researching the harmony balance - yang tech, that should make things harmonious, right?

Just overall. Being out of balance for a couple of turns is not bad, and only above 3 is where you start to get nasty penalties.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Never change, auto-resolve.:allears:

Frog Act posted:

If you hover over the yin/yang symbol in the top of the campaign UI, you get a overview of what the numbers are.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
important battle change; you can play as the minor factions to have their colors in mp now

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Really enjoying rolling over the empire as Skrag but oh boy the pathfinding and stickiness of units is frustrating. I had almost an entire army tied up fighting one warrior priest while I was trying to reform my lines for a reinforcing army because every single unit would reenter combat with the one guy and cancel their movement orders. When they work the minor settlement battles and sieges are pretty fun but there's definitely a lot of weirdness fighting in the cramped city streets. Issuing an attack order against a unit right in front of you but having your units turn around and run away because they're attacking the one flagbearer stuck on geometry two streets over while ignoring the 139 rats in formation a few feet away drives me crazy.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Welp, my Kislev campaign is over. Somehow Skarbrand came down at level 45 and brought a bunch of Tzeentch armies with them. Even though they are at war with each other, the 2 chaos factions are only attacking me. The player bias is real.

The Empire is useless down south spamming me with requests to join their war against the vampires. My dudes, all 4 chaos gods are coming for us, I think Mannfred can wait.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

More Big Thinking on Cathay.

Both new lores are great. Yin gets a cherry blossom ball that can travel down the entire enemy engaged front like Wulfric's boat and it bounces so big ideas for minor/major settlement fights right there. Yin also gets +2 Ancestral Warriors which combined with the 1 from Balanced is obscene. Cathay can summon tar pit as well as the Skaven, if not as often. Two Ancestral Warriors thrown down to stall the enemy front when they get into harmonized crossbows range is obscene. They're halberd dudes too so they can spawn in front of cavalry or big monsters and just grind them to a halt and leave free damage before desummoning at no cost to you other than resource/opportunity.

Yang is city defender king. When the gate busts open and the enemy has a bunch of trolls and elites/chaff infantry trying to get through that narrow space throw down your wall of fire and dragon breath on top of it too. GG, no re. Super effective combo available by level 4.

The free no-winds cost spells each get are sweet too. Swarm of Doom 4 times for free? It's free damage estate. Or earthblood, can't object to heals for the front.

Frog Act posted:

Hover over the icon at the top and leave yourself a building slot or two empty across your heartland to add a building when you need it, 1 turn build time and 400-800 gold cost. Or remove the super cheap supplementary buildings, 1 turn to get your Balance back. Balanced is so good that missing out on +peasants or +10 growth in a region to never drop Balanced is worth it, Balanced is a huge income and growth boost itself.

If you want to preserve balance but keep researching go straight down the middle. New characters(Lords, maybe Heroes?) are like +3 to each. Major Settlement walls are yin or yang, minor garrisons/walls aren't.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Had a friend send plague drones after a fleeing enemy lord, and 8 of the 9 would almost get there then they all would turn back and go to the one stuck in melee. Really illustrated the formation/clumping issue well imo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm sure others have noted this before me, but I just realized how funny it is that we have Khorne as a faction, and no blood.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Cardboard Fox posted:

The Empire is useless down south spamming me with requests to join their war against the vampires. My dudes, all 4 chaos gods are coming for us, I think Mannfred can wait.

Accurate to Kislev's experience in the lore at least

Dandywalken posted:

Had a friend send plague drones after a fleeing enemy lord, and 8 of the 9 would almost get there then they all would turn back and go to the one stuck in melee. Really illustrated the formation/clumping issue well imo.

Shame that's still the same, it happens all the time with Pegasus Knights to the point that I just never use them.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

I'm sure others have noted this before me, but I just realized how funny it is that we have Khorne as a faction, and no blood.

And Slaanesh is horny as gently caress.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So when does CA or Steam open up the workshop on this game for people to start modding? Just curious since people are already in the game files.

I think CA usually opens it up after a few weeks? I assume they want as few people using mods as possible at launch so there aren’t excess/incorrect bug reports.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I guess technically you can ignore the Chaos Realm objectives, should take another faction about 130-140 or so turns to win if they get all the souls on their first attempt shouldn't it? You can probably just play around as you prefer in that time, obviously you'd still have to deal with the Rifts and such when they show up and unless you'd be willing to go in and stop them, your campaign would end at a time not of your own choosing.

With this one and 2's Vortex campaign I just feel like someone at CA has been drawing the wrong lessons from the statistics that say most people never finish a campaign and then trying to make something more narrative and uniform with multiple factions involved in the same race with the same objectives or whatever.

But why is it such a bad thing if people don't finish these campaigns? I've played the series since the first Medieval and I've basically never finished a campaign, the only exceptions being Warhammer 1 and Attila as the Ostrogoths that I can remember, those statistics don't stop me coming back to the series, because it's really not what it's about. However both this one and to a lesser extent the Vortex campaign acively disrupt the abiity to play in a self-contained sandbox style where you set your own goals relative to your race and faction and play until you're ready to move on.

That said I'm all for having shorter camapign goals (that "win" the campaign but don't force you to stop), the Warhammer 2 DLC lords mostly did a dcent job of this, having shoter self-contained and faction specific campaigns, that's really the way to go rather than this kind of strange disruptive race IMO.

It'd be so easy also to have something for the different factions to do: Kislev would be about winning the political struggle, uniting the country and resurrecting Boris Ursus (and honestly that can just equal "saving Ursun" for me), I haven't played Cathay yet (I probably will while I ignore the campaign goals) but I could see their faction-specific short victory being about securing the Bastion, ensuring all Cathayan provinces are controlled by you or allied Cathayans and maybe something about re-establishing contact with the west through the Caravan mechanic (say having earned a set amount of money on those trades or whatever is appropriate), Ogres would probably be satifsfying if it was just about setting up a profitable toll-booth empire by whatever metric and having eaten enough or sacrificed enough meat to the Maw for something to happen. The mono-God factions could all have short goals around vanquishing their rival and some specific ones for their own factions (Nurgle spread plague to so and so many places, Slaanesh have a set number of vassals controlling territory, Khorne just having razed a shitload of stuff, and Tzeenth some weird goals in Cathay maybe). And the Daemon Prince honestly kind of makes sense to be the one to do the Realm of Chaos thing and challenge Belakor to unlock him, however it'd be a bit more interesting if the Chaos Rifts didn't just show up everywhere at set times and he instead had to seek them out in specific locations or go through the odd one that appears more randomly.

I look forward to the workshop and even more the big map, that's going to be great along with hopefully some quick fixes to the worst bugs that are somewhat fixable and more work down the line. It's ineresting and frustrating that barring Mortal Empires, I still think the best campaign in this series was Warhammer 1. Unless they decide to do some weird bullshit with Immortal Empires as well and abandon the sandbox nature of it, I'm confident that will be amazing however.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

There's something weird going on with unit behaviours, sometimes if I have more than 1 unit attacking an enemy lord, all except one will disengage and just sit there doing nothing. For example, in the prologue I sent Yuri and a snow leopard to attack an enemy wizard, they'd get there, hit him once or twice and then the snow leopard or Yuri would go idle.

I've also had situations where I ordered a bunch of streltsy to start firing on an enemy unit and they decided to close almost into melee to hit them (granted their range isn't great, but this was well past every model in the target unit being in range).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The weird unit behavior is a big part of what's making minor settlement battles awful, because the pathfinding absolutely cannot handle the geometry. Obviously if you're a good enough player you can overcome all this frustrating stuff, but that doesn't make it not frustrating.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Broken Cog posted:

thanks I knew something was off but couldn't put my finger on it

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Oh there's blood everywhere. Blood fountains, blood lakes, blood rivers. Just can't have the blood coming out of anyone, that would be uncouth.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Lol Skrag's quest battle is a full stack of every anti-large unit in the skaven roster backed up by a second full stack of night runners and slingers

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh my goodness the writers had fun with this game. :allears:

I had to close my game and open GIMP the second I got this. It's +8 leadership when fighting Ogres.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

A promising candidate, forward me his CV.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Oh my goodness the writers had fun with this game. :allears:

I had to close my game and open GIMP the second I got this. It's +8 leadership when fighting Ogres.
Magnificent.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Lol Skrag's quest battle is a full stack of every anti-large unit in the skaven roster backed up by a second full stack of night runners and slingers

It sucks so bad. I had to redo that fight because my hero butcher took single volley from the two warp lightning cannons and went down to 20%HP from full. If I had put it off till I re-tooled the army to be mostly gorgers it would have been OK because they have stalk, but jesus was it brutal.

I also feel like the battles are faster than they were in two, which is puzzling because all the pre-release stuff made it seem like everything was slowed down. Most of the fights I'm doing are close to 4 minutes with barely any making it to 8. Quick and bloody, maybe it's just the Ogres?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Did my first chaos land boogaloo:

The Slaanesh realm was boring as all hell. I got couple bad traits, spent ~8 turns moving to the portals and saying no. Only had to fight the last battle and on that I had mystery reinforcing army stack to help.

I guess Slaanesh is advocate for asking consent: Daemons can't do anything if you say no.