Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Trickyblackjack posted:

That bird god summoned a flock of seagulls to poo poo all over my deck :mad:

The poo poo-covered hull became an item I could equip.

I love video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:allears:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

Coming up to the end of FFX I am strongly of the opinion that it is not a good game and in anything is a great representation of the ridiculous bloat that jrpgs became known for.

It's got that historical curiosity going for it, and thank god the remastered versions come with the hotkey cheats, because gently caress playing this for 50+hrs when most of the time it's grinding out battles to steal items so you can craft that specific protection you need for 1 boss battle.

Did you at any point consider just not doing that?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the only bosses you need to grind gear for are the ones that are explicitly supposed to be done after you've finished the game but want to do super hard bosses. just go to the end if you're not having a good time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

Coming up to the end of FFX I am strongly of the opinion that it is not a good game and in anything is a great representation of the ridiculous bloat that jrpgs became known for.

It's got that historical curiosity going for it, and thank god the remastered versions come with the hotkey cheats, because gently caress playing this for 50+hrs when most of the time it's grinding out battles to steal items so you can craft that specific protection you need for 1 boss battle.

I played Final Fantasy X for like 30 hours, because my friend was telling me that it's the best Final Fantasy game and that "it gets good soon".
It was the most miserable 30 hours I've ever spent on a game. I can't remember anything I liked about it.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Jack Trades posted:

I played Final Fantasy X for like 30 hours, because my friend was telling me that it's the best Final Fantasy game and that "it gets good soon".
It was the most miserable 30 hours I've ever spent on a game. I can't remember anything I liked about it.
This was the exact experience I had with Octopath Traveler, playing through something like 20-30 hours of it thinking "it'll get good soon", hating every moment of it only in hindsight.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Your friend was lying because FFX is good immediately

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Andrast posted:

Your friend was lying because FFX is good immediately

I gave up once I hit the calm lands

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I still remember the visuals of FFX blowing my socks off back in the day. I absolutely believed we had achieved peak graphics.

That being said, I have much fonder memories of FFX-2. It has a costume system and Yuna is a straight up jpop star and it rules. With that and Lightning Returns and now FF7 Remake, it's funny how my fav FFs are the sequels. I'm really looking forward to whatever that upcoming one is called, the adventures of punchy man and his teen bride.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 19, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The intro of FF X2 made me cringe so hard. I have kind of a low tolerance for jrpg set dressing at the best of times. It has the best combat system I've ever tried in a jrpg, though its kinda let down by being able to steamroll through most fights without really having to engage with the dress-up mechanics.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Trickyblackjack posted:

I still remember the visuals of FFX blowing my socks off back in the day. I absolutely believed we had achieved peak graphics.
Yeah FFX was the first one that for me looked better than games generally and not just better than other FF games. I can't think of anything in 2001 that had characters at that quality, it might have been the first to.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 19, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Gripper posted:

Yeah FFX was the first one that for me looked better than games generally and not just better than other FF games. I can't think of anything in 2001 that had characters at that quality, it might have been the first to.

Maybe Jak & Daxter, though obviously going for a completely different look, it did wonders with facial animations

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

The combat isn't bad but there's too many things to juggle to be doing it properly sometimes you just want to grind out your characters without having to swap everyone in and out every battle to level up.

The story is like they took the previous game plot outlines, smashed them together, and pieced it into a barely coherent story based on what was best for showing off their graphics and FMV.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

The combat isn't bad but there's too many things to juggle to be doing it properly sometimes you just want to grind out your characters without having to swap everyone in and out every battle to level up.

The story is like they took the previous game plot outlines, smashed them together, and pieced it into a barely coherent story based on what was best for showing off their graphics and FMV.

You don't have to do that either.

Also there's nothing incoherent about the story in FFX.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hi Steam thread I have a general tech support question I've been told is OK here:

I have a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller that I use as my PC controller by bluetooth and the compatibility has been wonderful and it works perfectly with everything
except
I have a Microsoft Store copy of Sunset Overdrive where all the controls work except pressing the joystick up all the way only registers as if I'm pressing about 5%. Up doesn't work on the menus and in-game my character slowly crawls forward.
The Windows controller diagnostic correctly shows me pressing 'up' all the way and I can't seem to identify any joystick sensitivity settings in-game that would do this?
So what the hell?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Andrast posted:

You don't have to do that either.

Also there's nothing incoherent about the story in FFX.

I'll be super furious if I missed this, but how do you level characters without swapping them into the battle?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

I'll be super furious if I missed this, but how do you level characters without swapping them into the battle?

You don't need to get XP on everyone every battle! It's fine!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Finally got around to playing horizon zero dawn and it might be one of the best single player story driven games I've played in quite a while.

The combat isn't what I expected either, but once you get into the rhythm of stealth and laying traps, it really shines. Plot so far is very enjoyable too, I'm normally one of those skip all cutscene people but this world is generally interesting to me.

Fingers crossed we get the sequel and it doesn't take 3 years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Watching people play JRPGs taught me that people get insanely mad because of stuff they themselves do but for some reason blame the game for it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A Proper Uppercut posted:

To the person asking about racing games/Forza, I'd like to throw out a recommendation for NFS Heat. The story is still dumb but still less annoying than the Forza Horizon games. Its a really good looking game, and I thought the driving mechanics were really good.

That was me, and while I may give NFS: Heat a look, I'm really into car collection and customization. Is that in there?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Watching people play JRPGs taught me that people get insanely mad because of stuff they themselves do but for some reason blame the game for it

That's not limited to JRPG's, that's just lovely people in general who do this with every single aspect of life.

However I agree with your statement that JRPG players have a higher concentration of lovely people than pretty much any other group.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sloppy posted:

Anyone played Black Book? I've never heard of it but it's on sale, marked as similar to StS / Monster Train and seems very well received.

I'm probably never gonna play it so you can have mine when my humble choice comes through if you wanna wait a couple weeks. I'll post in the thread the keys I'm giving away. Cannot promise to remember tho

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

When game mechanics encourage bad/boring gameplay it's what they call "bad game design".

Good games should have their optimal gameplay be fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

However I agree with your statement that JRPG players have a higher concentration of lovely people than pretty much any other group.

mobas

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack Trades posted:

When game mechanics encourage bad/boring gameplay it's what they call "bad game design".

How do you do this though? Like - if there's an 'expected way' to play the game where people only engage with stuff that's fun, surely that's what you should aim for. Make grinding completely impossible I guess, like after a while you just don't get any more benefit, so people won't do it? Because probably it's always going to be *possible* to bore yourself to tears. You could level your starter pokemon to 100 on route 1, it would take hours and hours and be boring as poo poo but you could then steamroll the game with it. Should they make that completely impossible or just rely on people not torturing themselves?

I am really asking, I'm only familiar with Pokemon and, like, Siralim, in the JRPG space.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
yo where's the metroidvania thread at

I just finished Aeterna Noctis. I really enjoyed the challenging platforming but the game has a couple of chaff areas that should have been condensed down or removed entirely and it would be near perfect. Also extremely half assed story with some expensive looking animations that unfortunately reminded me of Zelda CD-i.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jack Trades posted:

But they dont? Like people complain about grinding but I haven’t played many JRPG that require it.

It’s something you can do to brute force your way around a problem but an option being available doesn’t mean you have to do it.

Kind of showing my argument for me tho

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

How do you do this though? Like - if there's an 'expected way' to play the game where people only engage with stuff that's fun, surely that's what you should aim for. Make grinding completely impossible I guess, like after a while you just don't get any more benefit, so people won't do it? Because probably it's always going to be *possible* to bore yourself to tears. You could level your starter pokemon to 100 on route 1, it would take hours and hours and be boring as poo poo but you could then steamroll the game with it. Should they make that completely impossible or just rely on people not torturing themselves?

I am really asking, I'm only familiar with Pokemon and, like, Siralim, in the JRPG space.

I mean, I'll be honest I don't have the answer to how to make RPGs not terrible because the whole concept is just bad.

If I had to make an RPG I'd just make it so that your level was capped based on your story progress, so that you'd naturally follow a designed difficulty curve, without an ability to grind your way out of your problems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

But they dont? Like people complain about grinding but I haven’t played many JRPG that require it.

It’s something you can do to brute force your way around a problem but an option being available doesn’t mean you have to do it.

Kind of showing my argument for me tho

A famous quote by one of the game designers of Civilization goes "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."
It doesn't matter if you "have" to do it or not. If it's a possibility and the player feels that it's the path of least resistance, then the game is designed poorly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That sounds like a lot of design work just to make a certain group happy that would still complain anyway

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

That sounds like a lot of design work just to make a certain group happy that would still complain anyway

Indeed, it is a lot of work. Why do all that when you can just make numbers go big. Big number make brain chemical go brrr.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

A famous quote by one of the game designers of Civilization goes "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."
It doesn't matter if you "have" to do it or not. If it's a possibility and the player feels that it's the path of least resistance, then the game is designed poorly.

If they want to make the,selves miserable I’m fine with that.

Outside listening to them whine it doesn’t negatively effect me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all i know is i will dunk on them and not the game if they whine about it

besides, diminishing returns are baked into typical jrpg game design, it is organically made obvious when your party is the level most games want you to be at, helped by the fact that a lot of jrpgs nowadays are very linear and not 'go anywhere'

if someone continues to grind and complains about it, it's not the game design, it's them blatantly ignoring what the game is conveying to them

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Gothic/Risen series does a decent job of controlling grind by simply not having respawning enemies. Finish a major milestone and the world is repopulated with level-appropriate content. Min maxers can explore all the nooks and crannies for a couple extra hours if they want and story-motivated players can just move on.

E: The other key thing is that powerful items are placed in specific spots instead of being random drops. This only works in handcrafted worlds though, procgen needs the random drops and it can be a curse.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FWIW I remember back in the day forcing myself to play all the way through FFX to see the story and I limped in to the final boss so underleveled I actually had to backtrack and grind for a while in order to beat it. I never touched the optional super bosses or whatever. JRPGs just stopped being a thing I enjoyed much (although I do like FF14).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mega Comrade posted:

Finally got around to playing horizon zero dawn and it might be one of the best single player story driven games I've played in quite a while.

The combat isn't what I expected either, but once you get into the rhythm of stealth and laying traps, it really shines. Plot so far is very enjoyable too, I'm normally one of those skip all cutscene people but this world is generally interesting to me.

Fingers crossed we get the sequel and it doesn't take 3 years.

Literally watched someone stream the sequel (Forbidden West) yesterday

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

pentyne posted:

I'm really curious what boss battle you're talking about and how you got it into your head that you needed to grind equipment for it because you absolutely 100% didn't no matter what boss you're thinking of

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The 7th Guest posted:

besides, diminishing returns are baked into typical jrpg game design, it is organically made obvious when your party is the level most games want you to be at, helped by the fact that a lot of jrpgs nowadays are very linear and not 'go anywhere'

if someone continues to grind and complains about it, it's not the game design, it's them blatantly ignoring what the game is conveying to them

this is one of the few things Chrono Cross did pretty well on, IIRC - no XP per se, real level-ups came from bosses and chaff fights gave you small stat gains up to a certain point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tarezax posted:

Literally watched someone stream the sequel (Forbidden West) yesterday

i imagine they meant on pc