Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
For the record, 4 5 and 6 are already available in pretty decent Android ports so they won't be completely unavailable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think at least one of them has problems on newer phones with really tall aspect ratios.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Folt The Bolt posted:

Please let there be one musical piece dedicated to the final witness testimony in the game. It was so cool when I was going into the final cross-examination of Ashley and we didn't get the usual Allegro theme.

Yeah this was a highlight.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
You have to buy Vs Layton asap (or pirate it)

My take is that Vs Layton is fine, but Nick does absolutely loving job hard and the final case is very Layton in how dumb the reveals are. Gotta go in with the mindset of it being a strange spinoff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I honestly would not recommend Vs Layton as an Ace Attorney game. Get it if you want to play a Layton game and it'll have some neat Ace Attorney elements, but all the best ideas there were carried forward to Chronicles, where they're allowed to shine.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah but cases 2 and 3 are incredible and need to be played if you like this series (and honestly the vigilantes cross-examination is funnier than anything in GAA)

also no need to panic about the payment methods being removed, they removed those ages ago from the EU eshop due to EU regulations about online payments. you can still add funds and buy stuff on the website just fine

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh poo poo I totally forgot about the Vigilante cross-examination. Okay maybe the Ace Attorney parts do stand on their own.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Folt The Bolt posted:

Please let there be one musical piece dedicated to the final witness testimony in the game. It was so cool when I was going into the final cross-examination of Ashley and we didn't get the usual Allegro theme.

This is why both Investigation games rule.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MorningMoon posted:

You have to buy Vs Layton asap (or pirate it)

My take is that Vs Layton is fine, but Nick does absolutely loving job hard and the final case is very Layton in how dumb the reveals are. Gotta go in with the mindset of it being a strange spinoff.

I still say it's the most one sided crossover I have ever seen, Layton knows everything the moment he appears on the scene while poor Phoenix is left clueless right up to the very finale.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's just how Layton

The creator of Layton even said he was inspired by the ace attorney games, but he wanted a protagonist without flaws. Not without the same flaws, without any flaws at all

He's the One Punch Man of logic. He's operating on Roger Rabbit rules. You could put him up against any other character and he'd outsmart them instantly because his superpower is that he already figured everything out

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I honestly would not recommend Vs Layton as an Ace Attorney game. Get it if you want to play a Layton game and it'll have some neat Ace Attorney elements, but all the best ideas there were carried forward to Chronicles, where they're allowed to shine.

The final reveals are dumb as gently caress, but the rest of the game is pretty drat great so I will disagree that it's not worth playing. I don't give a poo poo about Layton and I enjoyed my time with it (up until the last half hour of pants-on-head stupid Plot Vomit which I am told is par for the course for Layton games).

It would have been a lot better if you, the player, had been allowed to figure that poo poo out alongside Phoenix instead of Smartest Man in the Room Layton lording it over you, but that's not the game we got.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i think the game was worth it just for gold layton statue. So dumb but fun

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If you hate Layton games you'll hate Layton vs. Wright.

If you can put up with playing a Layton game you'll probably find a good amount to enjoy in Layton vs. Wright.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Phoenix Wright and the Turnabout of the Very Large Dog

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I wouldn't say that Layton as a character is actually flawless in his games. His closed off and reserved nature has made a lot of his close personal relationships a mess. There's multiple points in his games where he his deductions secret, seemingly just in order to do a big dramatic reveal later, and it results in something bad happening. I think a game that featured more of the casts of both franchises could have done something with the idea that while Layton is a better detective, Phoenix is a mentally stabler and healthier person, but that wasn't the game we got.

Also, Layton is well known to leave his office a complete mess, which would have been hilarious to see contrasted with Phoenix "cleans the toilet three times a day" Wright.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Silver Falcon posted:

The final reveals are dumb as gently caress, but the rest of the game is pretty drat great so I will disagree that it's not worth playing. I don't give a poo poo about Layton and I enjoyed my time with it (up until the last half hour of pants-on-head stupid Plot Vomit which I am told is par for the course for Layton games).

It would have been a lot better if you, the player, had been allowed to figure that poo poo out alongside Phoenix instead of Smartest Man in the Room Layton lording it over you, but that's not the game we got.

The final reveals is not making me want to play it again, but everything before that was pure kino. So I guess I agree.

(I still kind of want an Ace Attorney-like game but set in a medieval fantasy.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Silver Falcon posted:

We did kind of get exactly that game, except the Smartest Man in the Room was a lovable himbo who allowed other characters to shine and it made all the difference in the world.

I retroactively judge Vs Layton, perhaps too harshly, after having played Chronicles.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

We did kind of get exactly that game, except the Smartest Man in the Room was a lovable himbo who allowed other characters to shine and it made all the difference in the world.

I retroactively judge Vs Layton, perhaps too harshly, after having played Chronicles.

Oh yeah for sure! Herlock did Layton's schtick WAY better than he ever did, and in fact I think I observed as much when I finished GAA.

Maybe I too would judge Layton vs. Wright more harshly after playing Chronicles, but I don't have much of an urge to revisit it. It was fun for a run through though!

fractalairduct posted:

I wouldn't say that Layton as a character is actually flawless in his games. His closed off and reserved nature has made a lot of his close personal relationships a mess. There's multiple points in his games where he his deductions secret, seemingly just in order to do a big dramatic reveal later, and it results in something bad happening. I think a game that featured more of the casts of both franchises could have done something with the idea that while Layton is a better detective, Phoenix is a mentally stabler and healthier person, but that wasn't the game we got.

Also, Layton is well known to leave his office a complete mess, which would have been hilarious to see contrasted with Phoenix "cleans the toilet three times a day" Wright.

Yeah, I don't know anything about Layton, like I said. That was just the impression I got from a guy getting up in front of the court room and plot vomiting the most contrived nonsense imaginable at you for half an hour straight.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

(I still kind of want an Ace Attorney-like game but set in a medieval fantasy.)

Dude, after GAA1 and 2, more Ace Attorney period pieces is actually my dream. The fact that the cases were designed around technological/societal limitations was super cool, and made them feel tighter than a lot of the mainline cases imo. I'd love to see that extrapolated to other settings and time periods.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Would love to see one set during the Japanifornian real estate bubble like Yakuza 0

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Would love to see one set during the Japanifornian real estate bubble like Yakuza 0

1980s Phoenix gets really into model car racing.

Everyone's Idol 1980s Edgeworth.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Have a Ryuunosuke case in a mainline game that somehow relates to a present day murder

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

80s Gregory

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Have a Ryuunosuke case in a mainline game that somehow relates to a present day murder

Also Susato is still alive

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You could just channel them in I guess...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

30’s Detective noir story starring Phoenix or Edgeworth’s grandpa

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So long as Ryutaro gets their own game, that might well be enough for me.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

gaa 3 should have to do something with the suffragist/womens rights movement. theres a lot of set up for this in 2

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

takumi+capcom should cease all development on aa7 and make gaa3. if that means more anti-weed ads in japan, so be it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I think we need an AA7 to cap off Athena and also Nick for real, and then we just go to duologies/trilogies with new settings. Gimme the Sci-fi Ace Attorney.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

na. nick had his cap off in aa3. athena, sadly, should be left in the wayside for the better lawyer and character: susato mikotoba.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

athenas game would be eclipsed by apollos 4th backstory anyhow

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'm sick of Nick now. Let him be.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Introducing Apollo's fourth dad, Ryutaro Naruhodo!

hire me capcom

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

MorningMoon posted:

I think we need an AA7 to cap off Athena and also Nick for real, and then we just go to duologies/trilogies with new settings. Gimme the Sci-fi Ace Attorney.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also yeah, Athena really needs like....an actual spotlight for once. In Dual Destinies, she kinda had to share the plot with Apollo and in SoJ, she was just there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I really like the Mood Matrix and I want it to be used more

Use it out of the courtroom

use it more than once, maybe twice a trial

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I played Vs Layton just last year and honestly, I disliked it every time it went in a Layton direction. Mind you, I've never liked the Professor Layton games to begin with but I thought the AA segments would be enough for me to get through.

I ended up dropping the game but cases 2/3 are really sick and worth checking out if you can stomach the game. I wouldn't mind see an LP of this somewhere so I can revisit those cases.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Got around to playing AAI2 again and it’s such a wonderful celebration of the franchise while still having its own identity. It really makes me want another Investigations-style game, even if Edgeworth isn’t necessarily the protagonist.

No one will ever top Shelley de Killer as the best first witness though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hello, i have just been informed that kay faraday's name is a pun on faraday cage and i can't handle the truth