Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

KILLonian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mr. Fix It posted:

so reading this I learned that 人権 (jinken), the Japanese word for human right, has some weird particular meaning in gaming "culture", and that's being used as a defense. weird, huh? i kind of have a feeling this is some intentional or semi-intentional dilution of the word. years ago i played a decent amount of Winning 11 soccer with coworkers in our office in Tokyo during our break, and a few folks threw "senpan" around jokingly to refer to athletes in the game that hosed up and caused the team to lose. i look it up and the word is 戦犯: war criminal. it's a common enough definition of the word to show up in dictionaries as the second entry. so yeah, weird poo poo.

I'm not sure what conspiracy you're implying here; how is this any different from Gamer Culture and dudes screaming "I'm being <sexually assaulted> by a bunch of <racial slurs>" whenever the opposing team scores a point, and "hell yeah we're <war criming> these <other racial slurs>" when their team scores a point, and whinging about free speech and cancel culture when called out?

I'm pretty sure there isn't an ongoing astroturf campaign to minimize the Nanjing Massacre via Gamer Words, but it'd def be wild if there was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was under the impression that Japan doesn't need gamer words to downplay japanese war crimes, with mainstream/government view on a spectrum from "didn't happen" to "yeah we did it, and they deserved it, so what?"

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not sure what conspiracy you're implying here; how is this any different from Gamer Culture and dudes screaming "I'm being <sexually assaulted> by a bunch of <racial slurs>" whenever the opposing team scores a point, and "hell yeah we're <war criming> these <other racial slurs>" when their team scores a point, and whinging about free speech and cancel culture when called out?

I'm pretty sure there isn't an ongoing astroturf campaign to minimize the Nanjing Massacre via Gamer Words, but it'd def be wild if there was.

no particular conspiracy, just wild how people dilute language. seems like a universal problem

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was under the impression that Japan doesn't need gamer words to downplay japanese war crimes, with mainstream/government view on a spectrum from "didn't happen" to "yeah we did it, and they deserved it, so what?"

Pretty much this, if you think the average Japanese person gives a single poo poo about past warcrimes you would be very wrong.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“How can I be expected to care about something that I never learned about and anyway never happened?” - average Japanese person

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Belated shoe chat: yall need them disposable boot covers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moonmazed posted:

cultivation stuff has gotten really popular in the west during the pandemic

what do they cultivate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like dragon ball except instead of going AAAAAAAAA and clenching to power up you do like meditation and poo poo to power up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's also not nearly as inherently goofy as Dragonball.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OwlFancier posted:

It's like dragon ball except instead of going AAAAAAAAA and clenching to power up you do like meditation and poo poo to power up.

When I poo poo it powers me down for a while afterwards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
can't these people just play video games like normal shut ins

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Scratch Monkey posted:

“How can I be expected to care about something that I never learned about and anyway never happened?” - average white Republican

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's being pretty generous to the average white republican. They're more "here's my 14-point list of reasons why slavery was good"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kirbysuperstar posted:

The controversy is that Nintendo came out and said "thanks for your interest but we're not planning to let you play those games again" and actively pursues legal action against ROM sites as well as lobbying against safe harbours like the Internet Archive.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1493762734546055169

https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg/status/1494398068346654720

Nintendo "currently has no plans" for anything. That's their go-to response for almost everything they ever do.

As for that other tweet, that sounds like an issue with ESA. Sony and Microsoft are also paying members of that organization; in fact, almost every major company that makes a game you like to some degree contributes directly to this. I don't understand why Nintendo is held to a higher standard when the entire industry does this.

On top of that, the 3DS and Wii U eShops do not use Nintendo's current account system; they use the old Nintendo ID, which is probably extremely not secure at this point. People fought Sony to keep the PS3 and Vita stores, but have you tried to log into those stores recently? If you have 2FA, you have to jump through an extra set of hoops that often don't work, and the community has decided that the solution is to turn off 2FA to access them. The systems were not designed to handle the way we do things now, so the solution is to compromise your account security to play Tokyo Jungle. Of course, that also assumes that your current account credentials even work, because there's a strict character limit for your email and password on those systems.

Once the systems are no longer supported, just hack them and do whatever you want with them. Access to ROMs will almost always be viable as long as there is an internet, and if you want to stop companies from constantly shutting down access to these ROMs, attack the source. Also, don't pretend that downloading a Metroid game makes you an activist.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Finally, a centrist take on the issue

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

it is really impossible to tell the difference between good things and bad things :(

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

hallo spacedog posted:

Pretty much this, if you think the average Japanese American person gives a single poo poo about past warcrimes you would be very wrong.

How do you feel about that statement now? Hackles rising? Note that "goons" are not representative of the "average American" so however you yourself feel about US war crimes is irrelevant.

E: vvvvvv agreed

Weatherman has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Feb 19, 2022

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I think the average person of any nation in the world does not think much about the war crimes of that nation. Except maybe for Germany, because that’s in their school curriculum by law.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Weatherman posted:

How do you feel about that statement now? Hackles rising? Note that "goons" are not representative of the "average American" so however you yourself feel about US war crimes is irrelevant.

nah it's still completely accurate. The average American thinks Japan deserved getting nuked and doesn't know poo poo about the firebombing of Tokyo, not to mention all the poo poo we did in Cambodia/Vietnam, the Highway of Death, how we basically destroyed an entire generation in Fallujah...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Highway of Death is in one of the Call of Duty games, but they say it was the Russians that did it.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Takoluka posted:

it is really impossible to tell the difference between good things and bad things :(

Nope. You must make a broad, sweeping generalization about a population right now or else you are both-sidesing and also a war crime denier

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's being pretty generous to the average white republican. They're more "here's my 14-point list of reasons why slavery was good"

Awfully generous to think they can count to 14

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s irresponsible to ever be in the US while saying “lol those brits do love electing pedo nazis, they even love the Windsors lmfao” without a prologue where you list every US crime ever committed starting in 1607.

This is definitely not sadsack americans practicing american exceptionalism.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Awfully generous to think they can count to 14

The 14 words is where they stop counting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s irresponsible to ever be in the US while saying “lol those brits do love electing pedo nazis, they even love the Windsors lmfao” without a prologue where you list every US crime ever committed starting in 1607.

This is definitely not sadsack americans practicing american exceptionalism.

The US didn't commit any crimes in 1607 because it didn't exist as a nation. It was a British colony.

Basically, yeah, America has done a lot of heinous poo poo, but we learned it from the Brits. Brits invented loving concentration camps.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
The US sucks a whole lot. Other countries also suck a whole lot, sometimes in the same way as the US.

The only country free of sin is Belgium.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fish Appreciator posted:

The US sucks a whole lot. Other countries also suck a whole lot, sometimes in the same way as the US.

They did have a hand in the Congo...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fish Appreciator posted:

Uhmmm?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Skwirl posted:

The US didn't commit any crimes in 1607 because it didn't exist as a nation. It was a British colony.

Basically, yeah, America has done a lot of heinous poo poo, but we learned it from the Brits. Brits invented loving concentration camps.
We also invented rubber bands

so swings and roundabouts really

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Nah that’s not a centralist take that’s just nerds protecting the reputation of Nintendo.

It’s like nerds with Elon Musk but somehow even sadder

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The 14 words is where they stop counting.

Sometimes they get up to 88

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah that’s not a centralist take that’s just nerds protecting the reputation of Nintendo.

At least Nintendo Switches don't run over people and are much less likely to spontaneously combust.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

kazil posted:

They did have a hand in the Congo...

TOO SOON

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is an abnormally high bar to clear.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

At least Nintendo Switches don't run over people and are much less likely to spontaneously combust.

Now I suddenly want them to team up and make a console

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
IIRC the Congo Free State was the personal property of King Leopold rather than belonging to Belgium as a country. It doesn't change anything about what happened but it's an interesting historical wrinkle.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

As an outsider, it seems like America has spent an inordinate amount of effort in creating propaganda to present it as a bastion of freedom and honesty and GOOD, when it is beyond obvious that the US is, and always has been a cruel, destructive hyper capitalist hellscape.
Yes, other countries are worse, but compared to most European democracies, the US, is, at best a marginally developed country.
It's been known for at least the last 150 years that the only thing that matters in the US is money, is an enormous problem. Foundationally, the US is built on agreeing that the rich have a right to shape society, because their wealth makes them better than everyone else.
I'm not attacking the average American, youse are victims of a dreadful system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That can’t be right, I’d have heard about it by now from our pervasive pop culture and advanced public education system