Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Use no fast travel and no wikis to locate obscure people and places and you'll add some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man I could not tell you how long an average Morrowind character takes to "play through" lol, my perception of time in this game is completely distorted by memory, time spent modding etc

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you really want to spend a lot of time do this:

Make a warrior that completes the fighters guild. Do it as low a level as you reasonably can, below level 20.

Do the same thing as a Mage and a Thief.

Then, mod all three into the games as followers; make a forth character, a cowardly merchant. THAT character is the Nerevarine but they're also a coward and worthless in a fight, so they have to bring the first three with them on the quest. Don't load if they die, see if you can finish the game before they're all dead.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Make a warrior that completes the fighters guild. Do it as low a level as you reasonably can, below level 20.

Then, mod all three into the games as followers; make a forth character, a cowardly merchant. THAT character is the Nerevarine but they're also a coward and worthless in a fight, so they have to bring the first three with them on the quest. Don't load if they die, see if you can finish the game before they're all dead.

your follower will get stuck in the first cave you find, eternally running into a torch

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

So basically be palling around with your own knockoff versions of Vivec, Almalexia and Sotha Sil like in the OG Nerevar days, neat.

Whose gonna be the New Voryn Dagoth?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45599

That mod was made recently and says it'll "just work" on every single NPC.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I find it a little sad that EVERY NPC member of the mages guild wears robes and no armour, if though some of them are classes that tag at least one armour class.

Meanwhile my spellblade stands out like an idiot, with pauldrons popping through his clothing and an incongruous helmet

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Why would you put on armor to stand around in a building all day? Sounds uncomfortable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the nerevarine sleeps in their armour. it's perfectly comfortable

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49848/

this mod looked cool. actually order your companions around and have them use their skills and loot stuff

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the nerevarine sleeps in their armour. it's perfectly comfortable

I take off my clothes every night before I sleep and change my outfit based on what I think I'll be doing that in-game day. It's me I'm the ultimate Morrowind weirdo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

drat and I thought I was a nerd

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FlocksOfMice posted:

I take off my clothes every night before I sleep and change my outfit based on what I think I'll be doing that in-game day. It's me I'm the ultimate Morrowind weirdo.

Do you use that outfit manager mod and AshFall to watch yourself sleep in your jammies in real time HAHA who would do that do you I do

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

is there a solution to make my helmet-wearing mageman not look like a clown?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

is there a solution to make my helmet-wearing mageman not look like a clown?

Robes will cover everything but the helmet I think (and pauldrons?), which you could take off while in a guild hall.

I mean, you ARE wearing armor though, embrace it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Idk maybe there’s an “armoured hood” mod waiting for me somewhere

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

FWIW even in my medium armor build I didn't wear a helmet and my unarmored was like a solid 50 by the time I finished the game.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Skip the boots and get yourself some exquisite shoes with the curly toe.

Jay Rust posted:

Pretty sure the redguard shop in Old Ebonheart has something like that.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Iirc it's an insanely rad turban/ robe/ halberd/ couple other cool redguard things like other armors

That robe is fuckin sick I love it more than the cult robe. Really literally possibly one of the best robes ever added to the game 10/10 would robe again

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I wonder how feasible it would be to make a "glamour system" style mod.

Note however that I would have no respect for anyone using it, because game fashion has to be earned through creating a cool outfit that provides both necessary function and the desired form, and in doing so you end up creating looks that you would never have planned.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You gotta sleep in armour as the Nerevarine because you have dark brotherhood assholes busting down your door to kill you every night as soon as you get to Balmora.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wonder how feasible it would be to make a "glamour system" style mod.

Note however that I would have no respect for anyone using it, because game fashion has to be earned through creating a cool outfit that provides both necessary function and the desired form, and in doing so you end up creating looks that you would never have planned.

I'm 100% convinced you could implement this a bunch of ways and also it would be dumb

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
There's a mod for that. cosmetic overrides? it's not unlimited freedom but I made some really wild outfits while not wearing the same drake's pride + cephalopod helmet look

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/DSHippogriff/status/1492992784986304517?s=20&t=TRsDD4Og420_4gZhiZGC8g

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there's a series of morrowind mods for rimworld

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Good to see that series of mods is still getting updated. I always wanted to do a playthrough with them, but could never decide if I wanted to go for a full medieval capped run, or just go completely crazy and have dunmer wizards with spaceships and drop pods.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Coeurl Marx posted:

Good to see that series of mods is still getting updated. I always wanted to do a playthrough with them, but could never decide if I wanted to go for a full medieval capped run, or just go completely crazy and have dunmer wizards with spaceships and drop pods.

The latter is more faithful to TES lore

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tarhiel was a space marine

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey gamers, been playing a bit of morrowind for the first time through openmw and had a question about installing item mods

i've been slowly rolling in mods over time, following guides like
https://modding-openmw.com/

i'm trying to install a weapon mod right now. in my openmw.cfg i put in a "data=[file path]" to the esp, and then "content=[esp]" at the bottom. in game, i'm able to locate, pick up, and use the modded weapons -- but none of them have icons. do i need to do something specific with the icons folder from the mod? i tried creating another "data=[file path]" to it but nothing seemed to change

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

hey gamers, been playing a bit of morrowind for the first time through openmw and had a question about installing item mods

i'm trying to install a weapon mod right now. in my openmw.cfg i put in a "data=[file path]" to the esp, and then "content=[esp]" at the bottom. in game, i'm able to locate, pick up, and use the modded weapons -- but none of them have icons. do i need to do something specific with the icons folder from the mod? i tried creating another "data=[file path]" to it but nothing seemed to change

Asset folders like textures meshes icon etc need to live in your data files folder alongside the esps. No ini stuff

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

In all my years I've never heard of anyone installing mods in this manner haha. Are you using Mod Organizer? If not, get that.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mbt posted:

Asset folders like textures meshes icon etc need to live in your data files folder alongside the esps. No ini stuff

if I'm understanding this right, this should be how I currently have it set up. inside the folder for the mod, I have the .esp, as well as folders for Icons, Meshes, and Textures.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

If I'm understanding your post right, you extracted the mod into Data Files like "\Morrowind\Data Files\ModName\x.esp, textures, meshes, icons"?

Because it should all be extracted into the Data Files folder itself, not into a separate mod folder located within. "\Morrowind\Data Files\x.esp, textures, meshes, icons".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

In all my years I've never heard of anyone installing mods in this manner haha. Are you using Mod Organizer? If not, get that.

this is how you did it prior to wrye bash and all the tools that have followed. mod organizer has limited support for morrowind and none for openmw (there's a script to tie the two together but it has some issues). so yeah, being familiar with modifying your openmw.cfg by hand is important right now.

@kaubocks: what mod? is it explicitly listed as openmw compatible? openmw does some different stuff with ui icons that might be causing trouble. or do you mean inventory icons? i still have my openmw install, so i can easily try out whatever you're doing.

Proletarian Mango posted:

If I'm understanding your post right, you extracted the mod into Data Files like "\Morrowind\Data Files\ModName\x.esp, textures, meshes, icons"?

Because it should all be extracted into the Data Files folder itself, not into a separate mod folder located within. "\Morrowind\Data Files\x.esp, textures, meshes, icons".

this is incorrect and bad advice for openmw, it would be important if using the original morrowind.

e: the other thing that comes to mind is checking you rebuilt your delta patch after adding in this new mod, since something could be loving up the icons there. (this is the openmw equivalent of a mashed/bashed/smashed patch)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 19, 2022

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/modding/mod-install.html#install

Huh, I figured the Morrowind recreation would've handled installing mods the same way as Morrowind. Or at least offered this info within OpenMW itself instead of burying it in a wiki that, as far as I can see, isn't even linked within the program. Now that I'm really looking there's not even a "Help" or "About" menu anywhere.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Proletarian Mango posted:

https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/modding/mod-install.html#install

Huh, I figured the Morrowind recreation would've handled installing mods the same way as Morrowind. Or at least offered this info within OpenMW itself instead of burying it in a wiki that, as far as I can see, isn't even linked within the program. Now that I'm really looking there's not even a "Help" or "About" menu anywhere.

it CAN support them the same way morrowind does but it's trying to do better, is basically the way of it. hence calling that best practices.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Arivia posted:

this is how you did it prior to wrye bash and all the tools that have followed. mod organizer has limited support for morrowind and none for openmw (there's a script to tie the two together but it has some issues). so yeah, being familiar with modifying your openmw.cfg by hand is important right now.

Before Wrye you just dropped stuff in data files. I don't remember ever having to dick around with text files unless BSAs were involved.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Arivia posted:

it CAN support them the same way morrowind does but it's trying to do better, is basically the way of it. hence calling that best practices.

Gotcha. Honestly I'm more surprised about the lack of a "Help/About" menu with a link to the wiki being built into OpenMW itself.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sorry if I was being a bit unclear -- yeah I'm using OpenMW and loving around in TES3MP, of which I heard mod managers aren't great for, so I've been artisanally handcrafting my mod list in the openmw.cfg file. I've got a folder structure full of mods, but none of them are going directly in any install folders or anything. not a lot of things installed at the moment, but I install things slowly one at a time to make sure nothing has broken and it's been working out pretty well for me so far.

Arivia posted:

@kaubocks: what mod? is it explicitly listed as openmw compatible? openmw does some different stuff with ui icons that might be causing trouble. or do you mean inventory icons? i still have my openmw install, so i can easily try out whatever you're doing.

it's a bit of an ancient mod. just going through some old silly stuff for funsies. it doesn't say anything about OpenMW compatibility, but with how simple (and old) the mod seemed to be it didn't really surprise me. I do believe it's the first time I've installed anything with icons, though, and I'm pretty new to Morrowind in general.

and yeah, Inventory icons. when I go into the shop or open my inventory after buying one of the weapons, the weapons don't have icons. the ones with enchanted effects will still have that blue spiral element, but that's all. can still equip and use them, just looks kinda bad and it's easy to miss in the clutter of my inventory. it's not a huge deal, was just wondering out loud if it's something I had messed up on my end, or if OpenMW is weird about icons, or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

sorry if I was being a bit unclear -- yeah I'm using OpenMW and loving around in TES3MP, of which I heard mod managers aren't great for, so I've been artisanally handcrafting my mod list in the openmw.cfg file. I've got a folder structure full of mods, but none of them are going directly in any install folders or anything. not a lot of things installed at the moment, but I install things slowly one at a time to make sure nothing has broken and it's been working out pretty well for me so far.

it's a bit of an ancient mod. just going through some old silly stuff for funsies. it doesn't say anything about OpenMW compatibility, but with how simple (and old) the mod seemed to be it didn't really surprise me. I do believe it's the first time I've installed anything with icons, though, and I'm pretty new to Morrowind in general.

and yeah, Inventory icons. when I go into the shop or open my inventory after buying one of the weapons, the weapons don't have icons. the ones with enchanted effects will still have that blue spiral element, but that's all. can still equip and use them, just looks kinda bad and it's easy to miss in the clutter of my inventory. it's not a huge deal, was just wondering out loud if it's something I had messed up on my end, or if OpenMW is weird about icons, or what

Yeah, OpenMW doesn't like the icons being in TGA format, not DDS.