Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's religion for you.

AITA for splitting my children’s inheritance unevenly?

I asked Bella again if it was ok but she refused to give an opinion, she just made a joke about how if she’s lucky she’ll die before me.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Invisible Clergy posted:

Dogs clean their asses. They're kind of known for it.

Saw this article today and was reminded of crab cake American Girl Store guy.

(IL) I was removed from the American Girl Cafe for my gender. Do I have legal recourse?

r/relationships: I am not a pedophile.

the guy gettin' loaded at the doll cafe is never gonna stop being funny

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

pentyne posted:

why do you need blue water to humidfy your home?

its probably a somewhat transparent blue plastic so you can see the water levels and adding piss yellow = green

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
crab cakes dude was a libertarian for sure. His follow ups were all about if he could sue if he later brought a child to the cafe and they kicked them out.

also had some creepy bit about how going to the cafe (or some weird equivalent) was a major benefit of dating single mothers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

quote:

I asked Bella again if it was ok but she refused to give an opinion, she just made a joke about how if she’s lucky she’ll die before me.

lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's religion for you.

AITA for splitting my children’s inheritance unevenly?

IANAL but wouldn't a trust for Clara make more sense?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

pentyne posted:

crab cakes dude was a libertarian for sure. His follow ups were all about if he could sue if he later brought a child to the cafe and they kicked them out.

also had some creepy bit about how going to the cafe (or some weird equivalent) was a major benefit of dating single mothers.

Oh, 100%, since he posted it initially in legaladvice before reposting it slightly altered in aita when he didn't get the karma he wanted.

AITA For Depositing A Check My Mom Wrote Me?

quote:

Quick back story...The check was to pay me (27f) back for buying my mom's (50f) gift to my brother's boyfriend about a year ago. I was with her when she went to the store to get it, but she had forgotten her card in the car. The gift was $75 but I offered to pay for it since I had my card on me.

Fast forward to Valentine's Day. I decided I would treat myself by getting Starbucks and going to one of my favorite stores. The store I shop at can get a little pricey so I thought I would deposit the check my mom wrote me and use it as spending money. Yesterday I got a text from my mom with a picture of her bank statement saying "Seriously?!? You could've warned me!!!" I was taken aback, and got a little upset because she was making me feel guilty for depositing the check when I never tried to make her feel guilty for buying the present for her. Although this behavior isn't entirely new, because she has a history of expecting me to pay for things because I make more money than her. I didn't reply to her text because I know if I did, it wouldn't come off nicely and create a bigger mess. AITA?

Halloween Jack posted:

IANAL but wouldn't a trust for Clara make more sense?

Tragically, you know who can't answer questions like this anymore in more exhaustive detail, but if OP's goal was to continue stewardship over her faildaughter after she dies, then yes, the normal thing to do would be to cut the inheritance in 3 equally sized slices, give Anna and Bella their money, and establish something called a spendthrift trust for Clara. This is a trust fund that can be managed either by an individual human the person creating the trust knows like an uncle, aunt, or godparent, or they could leave it to a professional institution like the bank or wealth management store the trust was created at. This would have the additional benefit of not dumping additional emotional labor on one of OP's successful daughters, but OP wouldn't be the kind of terrible parent who posts to reddit if she didn't dump poo poo on her good daughters and heap praise on her loser daughter. OP has engineered this situation to continue to pit her daughters against each other from beyond the grave and ensure Clara never leaves the nest while letting this directly harm the other two by preventing the sale of the house to sow discord amongst them.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 19, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, 100%, since he posted it initially in legaladvice before reposting it slightly altered in aita when he didn't get the karma he wanted.

AITA For Depositing A Check My Mom Wrote Me?

just holding on to a check for a year so i can surprise you with a withdrawal, like normal people do

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i don't remember how checks work. ain't there a time limit on depositing those lovely things? in any case, rear end in a top hat move.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
AITA for flipping out when my husband told our daughter that her nanny left her because she no longer loves her?

quote:

The title is...I don't know, I couldn't find a better one so I'll try to give accurate context.

So my 3 yo daughter's nanny passed away a couple of weeks ago from an accident while she was traveling to see her family. It was horrible because she's pretty young and my daughter has known, and loved her almost all her life. My husband and I work most of the time so her nanny had a huge role in our daughter's everyday life.

I kept stressing out about how to break the news to her, kids her age consider death a foreign thought so I decided to wait to do some digging to come up with the best way to tell her.

Well, My husband went behind my back and told her that the reason her nanny is no longer around is because she was upset with her and no longer loves her. It was shocking to find out about what he said, our daughter broke down and kept crying non stop. I flipped tf out at my husband but he defended himself by saying that our daughter kept asking about her (the nanny), and he thought that the confusion our daughter felt because of the nanny's absense was impacting her emotionally. I told him he didn't even say the nanny died but he said that he intended to say what he said to get our daughter to move on quickly - I said it's horrible because she now keeps asking if we hate her too and if we'd leave her if we get mad at her for something she does. He said it's just a phase apparently, and that I was overreacting big time. he then ranted about how I'm basically always against him, criticizing his parenting decisions and not trusting him. We kept fighting about this for hours. I took my daughter and went to my sister since I had to go back to work and needed someone to stay with her. My husband is so upset about that and said I flew off the handle and was probably butthurt cause I didn't get the chance to come up with my own story as to why the nanny is no longer around.

When your husband somehow says something worse than "She died horribly in a flaming wreck".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Uh oh, I hope I didn't offend former President of the United States Donald Trump too much when I sat on that stimulus check for a while

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i don't remember how checks work. ain't there a time limit on depositing those lovely things? in any case, rear end in a top hat move.

Most checks typically last 90 days for exactly this reason.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

mediaphage posted:

one to talk since this was already brought up and op unnecessarily apologized

i respond as i read threads

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lazy_Liberal posted:

if it's a little over a year old, the cashier probably just missed the year being off or else just figured that it was a mistake since the year just rolled over and
some people are still used to writing 21. they would have assumed it was just a check from a few weeks ago

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Whats most shocking to me is people still using checks

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Nominally yes, but the banks don’t always catch / enforce it.

This one’s potentially a “no assholes” situation, depending on how the mom actually reacted. If you lived in the age of balancing checkbooks you would know not to deposit checks unexpectedly after a month because the sender will have written it off to true up their balance. But there’s no reason their child would know this because lol checks. So it’s more two generations not knowing each others’ etiquette and you’d hope they could just talk it through and laugh it off at this point.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
imagine carrying around a check or using a check except to pay technophobic landlords

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

e: ^^^ :hmmyes:

Biplane posted:

Whats most shocking to me is people still using checks

Stimulus payment aside, the only reason I've touched a check in years and years is because my current landlord doesn't have an electronic payment option.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
If you get a check from a bank or corporate account it’s usually an account set up for that purpose that will be emptied in 90 days and then it goes back to them or to a state lost property fund or whatever. The routing and account number have to be on the check for the ACH system, so to prevent fraud you just make an account for that payment and close it so no fake checks can be made with that info.

if it’s a personal check from some’s personal account it’s probably technically only good for 90 days but it’s up to a teller to enforce that by looking at the written date.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

Dogs clean their asses. They're kind of known for it.

Saw this article today and was reminded of crab cake American Girl Store guy.

(IL) I was removed from the American Girl Cafe for my gender. Do I have legal recourse?

r/relationships: I am not a pedophile.

quote:

A server emerged from the kitchen carrying a birthday cake shaped like a giant petit four. Mx. Flitton and the rest of the party erupted in applause.

The cheers died down as the waiter walked past the table. The cake was for someone seated behind them who was celebrating her ninth birthday.

It's no crab cake pedo but it's still pretty up there in hilarity. A bunch of adults trying to party hard with smuggled vodka* in a restaurant aimed at children. My god, the second hand embarassment. Does this make me a mean killjoy? I'd never think to go to a chuckecheeses and eat their pizza because man, I never got to eat there as a kid.

*for a loving sponsored instagram post no less rolls eyes

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Lobe posted:

Mind numbing repetition and observance of form over spirituality? Sounds like the catholicism I grew up with alright.

Equal parts of guilt, fear, and ruitual

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Fatty posted:

AITA for flipping out when my husband told our daughter that her nanny left her because she no longer loves her?

When your husband somehow says something worse than "She died horribly in a flaming wreck".

What. The. gently caress.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for drawing a comic about my dead sister?

quote:

I don't know the details myself, but from what the old ladies in the neighborhood mentioned, I had a twin sister who died shortly after birth.

It was a forbidden topic in my family, and when I tried to asked about it from my parents they flew into rage and deny it. My grandmother however, confirmed it with me shortly before her death, saying that it weren't made up lies and that my sister did in fact existed, even though she didn't live. There seemed to be more context to how she died, otherwise my parents wouldn't be so triggered . There is absolutely no way to "sit down and talk calmly about it" with my parents.

So... interesting topic isn't it? I am currently drawing a comic during my free time and uploading onto my social media. I use my name as the protagonist, and I gave my sister, a ghost, a name too. The story was like me telling the audience about my own life, with some supernatural elements to it.

I drew into the comic about how I imagined my sister would look like, her relationship with me, her thoughts about our parents pretending she never existed, even denying it. The story was a journey for the both of us to find out the truth about her death and offer her the peace needed for closure.

It had been almost a year since I started on the comic and despite my unprofessional drawings and all, I managed to gain a few thousand people following me and enjoying my comic.

My parents recently found out what I had been drawing and they were beyond just furious. My mother especially had been hysterical and had been calling and demanding me to take it off. I told them that I was not going to do that, it is a fiction and my hard work, and I will be completing it. I blocked their numbers soon after.

Some of my relatives managed to contact me and asked me to be more thoughtful to my parents, others called me AH for using my parents pain to gain myself fame and that I could draw lots of other things other than something about a dead twin sister. So let me ask reddit, do you think I was wrong?

*repost to follow rule

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA Free babysitter; one rule

quote:

Ok…so 3 years ago my (30f) sil (28f) and brother (41m) had a child. At the time I offered to watch the baby 3 days per week once mom returned to work. She had 2 days work from home. Shortly after giving birth her work took away her work from home days. She quit the job and got another. I agreed to watch baby all week. I do this for free as I am home anyway.

At any rate it has not been smooth sailing. They do not believe in the pandemic l. I have a compromised immune system. Recently, when my state dropped mask guidelines, they decided that they were going to put baby in school. I love baby very much but it’s their child they can do what they like. I was not consulted about this decision.

SIL set up appointments to view schools. They signed baby up for 3 days per week. When they told me I explained that this wouldn’t work for me. I cannot put my health at risk for their child. So they would need to sign her up for 5 days per week or no days per week. They were upset because they cannot afford 5 days per week. I explained that they didn’t consult with me about their decision and if they had I would have told them.

They believe that baby needs to be exposed to other kids. I told them I don’t disagree but that their lack of communication was not my problem. Then they said they cannot afford full time care. I told them that I have been watching baby for free for 3 years. They have gone on several vacations and made expensive upgrades to their house. I mentioned that maybe if they re-evaluate the priorities for where they spent their money they could.

So am I the rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: look what I figured out Anyway….SIL has blocked me on socials and is not speaking to me. I have her baby so when she’s been calling I’ve been ignoring her. From now on you get what you give. My Brother is pissed that I’m not answering SIL calls and says I’m being vindictive. I’ve told him that he can solve all his problems by either standing up to his wife and explaining that they are receiving a service as a favor from me and my boundaries are absolutely fair or put their ahem children in full time care. They are going on a vacation tomorrow so they’ll have plenty of time to discuss.

UPDATE

quote:

Quick update: I’ve just received another call. They said that they didn’t want to spoil the surprise, but that they are pregnant again. That’s the reason they wanted to put baby in school. To “give me a break” when I’m caring for 2 children. I told them that I cannot physically look after 2 children and that they will need to find full time care for both children once new baby arrives. They are furious and claiming that I am punishing them because I cannot have children and am jealous of them. I responded about that I’ve raised baby for 3 years now and spent more time with baby than they have so, as it turns out, I didn’t need to have children.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Goddamn that feeding hand is SO GOOD

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hughlander posted:

They put their foot down at the exact moment I figured they'd cave for ~family~, and I salute them for it :patriot:

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE

What is it with having babies and then just handing them off to other people to raise, do these morons think they are English Nobility ?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

quantumwell posted:

What is it with having babies and then just handing them off to other people to raise, do these morons think they are English Nobility ?

Why should my life have to change just because we had a kid?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foo Diddley posted:

just holding on to a check for a year so i can surprise you with a withdrawal, like normal people do

To be fair, when I pay people with checks (very rare these days), I watch my bank statement like a hawk, and ask them what's up if it doesn't get deposited within a few days.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE

"We don't have money for childcare!" I scream while handing off my baby so I can go on another vacation without them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for demanding my husband to pay back the $6,000 dollars he spent on Golf Clubs?

quote:

I'm a nurse and have been working more hours for the past 6 months to be able to save money to fix the ceiling in our house. I've saved up to 8,000 in my account and since my husband hasn't worked since 2020, I'm trying to balance rent and utilities payments.

My husband is a golf enthusiast, and so are his friends. only difference is that all his friends are well off and they can afford expensive golfing gear and trips. They mentioned wanting to go on a golfing trip next week and invited my husband but he initially refused. though, he really wanted to go but complained about how his friends bought fancy golfing gear while all he has is old gear. He asked if I could "lend" him $6,000 dollars so he could buy a set of golfing clubs but I refused because $6,000 for a set of clubs is crazy expensive, especially for someone who doesn't work. he got upset and accused me of holding his employment over his head when he couldn't help it.

Anyway, I thought we were over this argument but I had discovered that he had pulled the $6,000 dollars out of my account and purchased the set behind my back. I went home and exploded on him. He swore he'd return the money once he gets back from his trip but, I told him he had no right to take the money and spend it on a set of clubs while the ceiling needs fixing. he said the ceiling doesn't require $6,000 dollars either but the kids room was affected too. I demanded that he return the set or pay me the 6,000 right there and then. He told me I was being unfair to him and that he's feeling stuck because his friends can afford to buy whatever, while he's being yelled at for wanting something for himself for once. I told him to get a job and buy himself whatever, he tried to tell me he'll pay me when he finds a job which is AFTER he gets back from his trip but I refused.

He kept begging me to let him just go on the trip and "we'll" figure it out later but I said no. if it wasn't for something as important as the ceiling, I would've maybe waited but he's saying I'm abusive and controlling of his life.

edit -- first of all I'm getting too many comments I'm too overwhelmed to respond. people that are suggesting I return the clubs myself, I cam't because he never brought them to the house, I've never seen them and I don't know where he's hiding them. I suspect his brother's house but I'm on really bad terms with him and can't go to his house. So the argument now is just him pushing to get me to stay quiet til he gets back from the trip but I'm putting my foot down and refusing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sell the house and be gone when he gets back from his trip

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

"We don't have money for childcare!" I scream while handing off my baby so I can go on another vacation without them.

Growing up in a family of three kids there were no vacations until my youngest sibling was trusted with not wandering off. Day trips and
amusement parks were OK, but no travel.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The arguments on Reddit over this one makes me feel like an energy vampire

AITA For Donating My Ex’s Things To Goodwill?

quote:

My (28 M) boyfriend and I (32 F) broke up over Halloween weekend. We were together for 2.5 years and had lived together about 2 of those years. He moved out Nov. 2, but not all of his belongings were able to fit in his car. He was planning on gathering the rest of his things a few days later. But before then, I had decided to cut off contact with him, and before I did so, I had called him to tell him that he needed to get the rest of his things that weekend while I was away visiting family out of state. He agreed to do so. Whenever I came back home, I was annoyed and not surprised to see his things were still at my house. So, I waited a couple of weeks to see if he would make any effort to try and get the rest of his belongings, but I heard nothing. I figured he must not have wanted everything else and decided to donate them to my local Goodwill.

Today (nearly 4 months post breakup) I received a text from my ex’s mom asking if I would be home this weekend so he could come and get his things and for me to call him. His mother reached out to me because I have my ex’s number and all social media accounts blocked. I haven’t responded just yet as I am at a loss on what to say. He had his chance to get the rest of his things and he dropped the ball. Am I the rear end in a top hat for donating everything else after he said he would and never did?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for demanding my husband to pay back the $6,000 dollars he spent on Golf Clubs?

" he got upset and accused me of holding his employment over his head when he couldn't help it."

Meanwhile, in the real world, everyone is hiring.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's at least different prayers and some loser is probably carrying around a cross made of 2x4s and looks silly

The ONE time I got codded into doing mass on Good Friday was enough to convince me that going to mass on catholic misery days is a guaranteed BAD TIME.
There wasn't anyone lugging around a big old cross, just a priest going from one bad victorian picture to another to explain how Jesus was tortured at that exact moment.
It was both repulsive and boring.
A weird mix.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
AITA if I told my twin that she could live like me for once?

quote:

My twin (Leia) and I are identical 29 years old, both females. Leia has always been regarded as the prettier twin, although we are identical, (kinda like Cole & Dylan). As a result, any time I wanted to play dolls, apply makeup or dress up for a party, I was told to 'study rather than engaging in things that aren't really my cup of tea'. She was always given more preference, mom bought her expensive makeup & dresses while I wasn't allowed to touch her stuff. I had to do her homework because she regularly participated in child pageants (though she very rarely even came close to the final two). I was always told to build myself a future because 'my looks clearly won't get me anywhere'.

My childhood was pretty crappy but I put myself through law school and am a senior associate at a pretty well known firm in my area. I'm one of the youngest senior associates here, instead of celebrating my achievement, my mom skipped my party (that was planned weeks in advance) to 'support' my sister in an audition she happened to be giving spontaneously that evening, you get the point.

Onto the conflict - I was barely surviving, working 2 jobs to put myself though law school. I asked my mom (who had a nice paying job as a marketing exec but had decided to fund Leia's non existent modelling/acting career) for help a few times but they said that they were saving up to fund Leia's big break. My Gramps helped me secretly because if my mom or my grandma would know that he had secret money, they'd borrow it to fund Leia and never return it again. I've learnt to be self sufficient and am at a minimal contact with all of my family (except Gramps of course). My mom was fired during COVID & she recently learnt that I moved into a bigger apartment (bf & I moved in together but mom doesn't know that) and has been asking me if she and Leia can move in with me. I have declined. A few days ago Leia called me playing the twin card, saying we're sisters. We are supposed to be helping each other. She said she and mom have run out of money and need my help to get by, to which I replied, "Great, now you'll know what it's like to live like me for once. I don't care what you do, you're not moving in with me". & Blocked her Since then, the whole family has been blowing up my phone about being a terrible person and not helping my family in need. It became worse when grandma learnt that Gramps had been helping me during my tough times and kicked him out. I immediately moved him into my home (my bf loves him too & he was happy to live with us). This triggered another bout of hate from my family saying if I can afford to keep Gramps, I can afford to house Leia & mom, but I'm not doing so out of jealousy.

Now I'm second guessing myself. AITA?

ETA - I've taken a day off today since this whole situation was taking a toll on my mental and emotional health. I'm trying to read each comment and am really really thankful for the support you guys are giving me (&my bf and Gramps) I showed Grampy the post and the number of people calling him a rockstar and it's honestly made his day! He's so happy, y'all! He has been beaming with joy! All you strangers have absolutely made his (and my) day! I have a virtual meeting with my boss about this situation since I think going the legal route is much more sensible (and to me, easier) than engaging in heated arguments with my sycophantic family. I'll try and figure out how to post a proper update after the meeting.

I want to thank each and every person who supported me again, it means so much to me, I wish I could give each one of yall a hug!

Losing my mind at the idea of telling someone's IDENTICAL twin that they're the pretty one.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That story has more alarm bells than most fire departmemts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Midnight Voyager posted:

Losing my mind at the idea of telling someone's IDENTICAL twin that they're the pretty one.

I dunno, that seems plausible to me. I've seen more than one pair of twins where they were still quite distinguishable lookswise. Maybe not to the degree one of them is told to stay home like Cinderella.
And no points for not trying to make your twins the same, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Me losing my mind that the golden child is 29 and Mom & Grandma are still expecting that "Big Break".
That ship sailed a long time ago.