Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Also, the planes that could drop them aren't actually in Turkey; you would need to fly aircraft to Turkey, load the bombs, and then fly to wherever they were to be dropped. So for all intents and purposes they're useless.

Now this is just dumb. What, did the US not trust Turkey's airforce enough or something?

I remember being kind of floored when I learned the US trusted Germany enough our Tornados still have adapters lying in storage so they can carry nukes if the worst happens. So even if the US had been completely totaled in a 1st strike scenario, hypothetically, we could have installed those adapters, fit the nukes, and then I guess wasted lives in a vain attempt to bomb advancing Soviet tanks? I think that was the idea at least, just slightly better than the other amazingly bad idea of the Cold War, as I saw in the military museum in Dresden: Weird mobile short-range missile sites that could launch nukes an amazingly few kilometers. Mutual suicide on the tactical level, essentially. They were absolute garbage-level and hated by the Bundeswehr-soldiers who had to work with them. :shepface:

I think not even having the transport medium in the same country is still one level below that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rodiel posted:

do you think russia needs the pipes in ukraine? i dont think they do anymore but i could be wrong

Ukraine is hosed because of Russia. It really is that simple.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rodiel posted:

there whole economy is based on the gas pipelines dude

[citation needed]

2 minutes found me this

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why are they hosed again? Remind me

Ukraine is hosed because Russia is about to not invade it, which is America's fault. Also if its hosed because Russia did invade it, that's also Americas fault.

Nevermind the fact that Russia actually already invaded Ukraine in 2014 and is still occupying a lot of it (because of America).

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Elyv posted:

[citation needed]

2 minutes found me this

thats ukraine right? i think the west wants to impoverish ukraine so they can buy up all the farmland

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Ukraine is hosed because Russia is about to not invade it, which is America's fault. Also if its hosed because Russia did invade it, that's also Americas fault.

Nevermind the fact that Russia actually already invaded Ukraine in 2014 and is still occupying a lot of it (because of America).

im glad that you can accept that russia isnt the only bad actor

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rodiel posted:

thats ukraine right? i think the west wants to impoverish ukraine so they can buy up all the farmland

that is Ukraine, yes. now can you explain how

Rodiel posted:

there whole economy is based on the gas pipelines dude

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Elyv posted:

you're the expert

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Libluini posted:

Now this is just dumb. What, did the US not trust Turkey's airforce enough or something?

The short answer is, no, they don't trust Turkey's airforce, or any of their military. Erdogan is a Putin-esque strongman who seems to be eyeing the door leading out of NATO. There was an alleged coup attempt in 2016, although there's a lot of speculation that it was a false flag by Erdogan or another interested party.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Majorian posted:

The short answer is, no, they don't trust Turkey's airforce, or any of their military. Erdogan is a Putin-esque strongman who seems to be eyeing the door leading out of NATO. There was an alleged coup attempt in 2016, although there's a lot of speculation that it was a false flag by Erdogan or another interested party.

turky was strait up fighting the us airforce in syria

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Am I getting deva vu but wasn't part of this, false flag et all, trolling etc, a plot point in House of Cards?

Russia though with its aggressive actions though seems to be angling for the good ending of Red Alert with NATO occupying Moscow the way things are going.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Am I getting deva vu but wasn't part of this, false flag et all, trolling etc, a plot point in House of Cards?

Russia though with its aggressive actions though seems to be angling for the good ending of Red Alert with NATO occupying Moscow the way things are going.

if you think tv is real life you are an idiot

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The west is impoverishing Ukraine by getting Russia to repeatedly invade, murder a few thousand Ukrainians, shoot down airliners and steal territory and equipment. American warmongering at work!

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

orcane posted:

The west is impoverishing Ukraine by getting Russia to repeatedly invade, murder a few thousand Ukrainians, shoot down airliners and steal territory and equipment. American warmongering at work!

its not that complex, people think you are retarded for this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodiel posted:

really incredible meltdown, absolutely terrific, keep it up

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
this place really is dead, you're welcome

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Rodiel posted:

Could you explain it then? Is it the IMF loan you're talking about? There some shock-doctrine fine print in there?

I'm sorry, I've been staying away from the internet for a while for mental health reasons and I guess I'm out of the loop.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Grammarchist posted:

Could you explain it then? Is it the IMF loan you're talking about? There some shock-doctrine fine print in there?

I'm sorry, I've been staying away from the internet for a while for mental health reasons and I guess I'm out of the loop.

You're not out of the loop, he's just an idiot who is unable to see anything but American boogeymen.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

im sorry, im not explaining the imf to you, do some reading

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Thank you for choosing this thread to have your meltdown in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodiel posted:

im sorry, im not explaining the imf to you, do some reading

Frankly speaking I doubt you'd be able to explain it correctly anyway, so thank you for sparing us.

e: thank you cinci for sparing us from more of their posts

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rodiel posted:

if you think tv is real life you are an idiot

I don't, I am just remarking at how uncanny it is that a TV show from however many years ago got some plot beats correct; it's possibly even an indictment on the foreign policy blob when TV writers seem to have a better grasp of the motivations and future actions of certain authoritarian governments.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1495117096467972097

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

:eyepop:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wasn't this like double digits a couple days ago?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grammarchist posted:

IMF actually had some positive influence in Ukraine since big giveaways to oligarchs tends to be worse for budgets than actual public programs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Further context - that’s all yesterday apparently.

https://twitter.com/zacharybasu/status/1495119980001640457

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Maybe it's just a bluff?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Leftist Youtuber Vaush put up a video yesterday assessing recent updates regarding the conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qABLpdt6f2o

I like the way he goes into it open minded and just looking at the facts and various sources and clearly comes away convinced of the reality of the facts. I think if anyone is looking for a leftist commentary of the situation but don't want knee jerk anti-imperialist commentary that's just "US bad" Vaush is pretty good to go to for updates and live commentary.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

OddObserver posted:

IMF actually had some positive influence in Ukraine since big giveaways to oligarchs tends to be worse for budgets than actual public programs.

Yeah, that was my initial takeaway as well, but I'm kind of at a loss as to internet discourse these days. Naomi Klein's Shock Doctrine was also one of my early influences in turning left wing back in my 20's and I guess that lingering suspicion never goes away.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Majorian posted:

The reduction of nuclear bombs in Turkey started before Erdogan; it's been long planned, just very slow to occur, which is part of why Turkey does not have the capability any longer to equip and drop them as well as why we don't have planes stationed there that can drop them: the US wants them out of Turkey, it's just not cared enough to do so in a timely fashion.

(My personal thought is that it's probably cheaper to just leave them there with a basic security apparatus than bringing them home and commencing the process of removing the radioactive material for re-use or disposal, and it's not like the US is hurting for radioactive material if it wanted to fabricate new weapons).

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Further context - that’s all yesterday apparently.

https://twitter.com/zacharybasu/status/1495119980001640457

Why is the US in a position to accuse or even have intelligence on the ceasefire?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Really that's alot of it, command and control is a great book that goes over how dumb the military really was at times with nuclear weapons, and removal and disposal is a massive undertaking that no one wants to initiate because of logistics and saving face.

The weapons there should be removed though, especially with how turkey has been the last decade.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KillHour posted:

Wasn't this like double digits a couple days ago?

yes it was

Terminal autist posted:

Why is the US in a position to accuse or even have intelligence on the ceasefire?

it's the OSCE, which is very much not the US, they've been monitoring the ceasefire violations for years now

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 19, 2022

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Terminal autist posted:

The osce is part of NATO and a unified European system to identify things like what's occuring?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Raenir Salazar posted:

Leftist Youtuber Vaush put up a video yesterday assessing recent updates regarding the conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qABLpdt6f2o

I like the way he goes into it open minded and just looking at the facts and various sources and clearly comes away convinced of the reality of the facts. I think if anyone is looking for a leftist commentary of the situation but don't want knee jerk anti-imperialist commentary that's just "US bad" Vaush is pretty good to go to for updates and live commentary.

Vaush is not a leftist but he is a pedophile though. If you're looking for an actual leftist youtuber take here is a great Hasan video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LStCD3Mntrw

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The osce is part of NATO and a unified European system to identify things like what's occuring?

osce is not a part of nato, it's 57 member states (eg pan european, plus a few in africa and asia as opposed to natos 19 or w/e)

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Elyv posted:

You fool, you utter imbecile. Do you not realize that once the US has weakened Ukraine economically, it can seize a monopoly on buckwheat and sunflower oil??? Slavic peoples worldwide will be forced to bow to NATO or suffer a painful death due to critical mayonnaise and porridge shortages. What else can Putin do but invade Ukraine in the face of this existential threat?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Really that's alot of it, command and control is a great book that goes over how dumb the military really was at times with nuclear weapons, and removal and disposal is a massive undertaking that no one wants to initiate because of logistics and saving face.

Cosigning this, it's an excellent book and an easy read as well, as long as you can handle a lot of "...oh poo poo, we were really close to having a genuine nuclear incident there, there, AND there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The weapons there should be removed though, especially with how turkey has been the last decade.

Oh definitely - I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen immediately after the "coup" attempt.