Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Looks like all of the "hold this city as this faction" achievements don't actually care about which faction you are.

I've gotten the Kislev and Cathay achievements for holding their respective important cities while playing as chaos factions even though the description suggests you should be playing as Kislev or Cathay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Looks like all of the "hold this city as this faction" achievements don't actually care about which faction you are.

I've gotten the Kislev and Cathay achievements for holding their respective important cities while playing as chaos factions even though the description suggests you should be playing as Kislev or Cathay.

Reminds me of when I got the Sealion achievement in HoI 4 at launch by loading up Germany to have a look, then afterwards loading up England. Guess that's one way to do it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

genericnick posted:

You can send more than one at a time?

Yeah, you can have multiple caravans running at once (I've ever done two at a time, so I'm not sure exactly how many you can chuck into Ogre bellies). The real limiter is a.) whether or not they survive and b.) demand. Too many caravans = not enough payout to be worth the risk. But demand seems to be remarkably high, most of the time.

You can recruit new caravan dudes by clicking the "+" button below where the caravan lord is listed.

Also, the items they can bring back tend to be very strong. Sending a caravan to Castle Drakenhof (while Mannfred is still alive) will net you the Von Carstein Blade, which is pretty good, though it does spread vampiric corruption. There's a talisman that gives you +20% research speed, a Luminark lens (from Altdorf, iirc) that makes your opponent vulnerable to fire damage and gives you a bound fireball spell to smack them with, etc.

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, all of these seem super bugged. Playing as Katarin, I got access to the tech trees from all three cities despite only holding Kislev itself. That's not supposed to be a thing, but it was. Something's fucky under the hood.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 19, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, you can have multiple caravans running at once (I've ever done two at a time, so I'm not sure exactly how many you can chuck into Ogre bellies). The real limiter is a.) whether or not they survive and b.) demand. Too many caravans = not enough payout to be worth the risk. But demand seems to be remarkably high, most of the time.

You can recruit new caravan dudes by clicking the "+" button below where the caravan lord is listed.

Yeah, all of these seem super bugged. Playing as Katarin, I got access to the tech trees from all three cities despite only holding Kislev itself. That's not supposed to be a thing, but it was. Something's fucky under the hood.

?? Maybe there is a tech or item? Are you playing the Iron bro?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Slaanesh was more fun than I thought... but half his roster also seems to suck balls. The chariots barely accomplish anything and his cavalry is so squishy. He feels so weak coming from Khorne

Those anteater suckbeast fiends of his are pretty great though

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

I'm enjoying things so far - Launch day jank aside. There's definitely a lot that's going to be smoothed out over the next while. I'm having fun with my Cathay campaign, and I actually kinda like the urgency the portals are creating, it keeps me on my toes, and I'm actually having to make tactical decisions about what fires to put out in my provinces. The realms are definitely gonna get old through multiple playthroughs though.

I also hope they fix how the AI can't handle the corruption from the portals, like at all. Cathay is still mostly pristine, but the entire rest of the world is a pink and purple wasteland at like turn 80.

Haven't really had a chance to dig into the other races other than the Kislev prologue and Cathay. My complaint about both of those races so far is that they seem kinda... tonally off from the other established order races? Like I wish Kislev was a little grittier and dirtier looking than they are. As is, they look fancier and more noble than the Empire right now, especially for a nation that has been repeatedly reduced to rubble. I wish they'd saved war wagons for Kislev instead of the Empire, instead of the magical sleds, for instance.

Cathay almost feels like it was played too straight vs. the fantastical lore that's been built up about it previously. I feel like they could have turned up the wackiness on their design and unit selection just a little bit.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the updates and the combined map! It definitely seems like it's going to be more than a port over of the WH2 version with Cathay stapled on - if they add all the missing landmass from Lustria and the south, that's a pretty huge redesign.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

genericnick posted:

?? Maybe there is a tech or item? Are you playing the Iron bro?

Playing as BEST DAUGHTER EVER. It must be a tech then. I'm pretty far down the line, can't check right now. It's also possible that I'm somehow bugged because, like, there's a lot of buggy poo poo right now. So I'm not 100% sure. But I definitely had two caravans running simultaneously.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

How do I effectively use Stalk against the AI? I don't understand what's happening here.

I deployed my gorgers behind the enemy army since they're Vanguard + Stalk. They've been hidden the entire time - I even gave them the move order with the game paused just to make sure I could switch them to walk before they started moving. But the AI broke off 2 of its units immediately at the start of the battle and beelined for my stalked/hidden gorgers. They never do this when I don't deploy behind them and they didn't check the other corner.

e: Okay, I think they were just going to set up a defensive position for the route up the hill and ran into my Gorgers on the way

Re: Caravans - you can have a second caravan out as soon as your first reaches its destination. At any given time you can have one caravan heading toward a destination and one returning to your capital.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 19, 2022

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What's a good line unit for tzeentch lategame? I'm currently running stacks of blue horrors to stabilize my situation but the entire roster is just more and more specialized skirmisher but nothing that really stands out as something to build a late game army around until like, soul grinders. Would grabbing a whole bunch of exalted pink horrors and pretending I'm a dark elf be viable?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

hemale in pain posted:

Can i make a confession? I'd pay for a super scripted campaign made in the image of the tutorial. It was fun. Give me immortal empires and then total war lite warcraft edition CA please.

I said this in the last thread and got owned for it but I totally agree! More mini-campaigns with DLCs would be great because unlike Warhammer 1 they could make them good this time. It's a really weird situation that the tutorial prologue for a game all about recruiting armour-piercing ranged units was actually a fairly well-done narrative?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tell me more about building your own Demon Prince SLAMBO

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Realm of Tzeench is tedious, awful bullshit. Everything else owns though. That is all.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The dragon siblings are charming.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

how the gently caress are you meant to beat a stack of tzeentch guys as nurgle early on. the only ranged units i have are the bomber blight drones you start with and kugath himself, ive not gotten advanced units yet. i tried flanking with faster guys but the horrors just waste them really quick and by that point my stupid plaguebearers still havent reached the lines.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

how the gently caress are you meant to beat a stack of tzeentch guys as nurgle early on. the only ranged units i have are the bomber blight drones you start with and kugath himself, ive not gotten advanced units yet. i tried flanking with faster guys but the horrors just waste them really quick and by that point my stupid plaguebearers still havent reached the lines.

nurglings and plagues

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Sacrifice your sweet precious nurglings

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Is anyone else having problems alt-tabbing out of the game? About a quarter of the time that I try to do it, the game just closes completely as though I hit exit to windows.

Running it in windowed mode also isn't an option, apparently, because the window cuts off the top of my UI and I am not yet good enough at these games where I don't need to see my income while I play. I'd rather not play it in 1080 seeing as I got a brand new monitor and a 3080 to play all the awesome games that are coming out this year.

My drivers are all up to date and everything, I don't know what else to do other than quicksaving any time I need to use my second screen. It's probably worth noting that Total Warhams 3 is literally the only game I have this problem with - I never had this issue with twh2.

Thread is moving fast as gently caress right now, so sorry if someone has already asked this and I missed it.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Playing as BEST DAUGHTER EVER. It must be a tech then. I'm pretty far down the line, can't check right now. It's also possible that I'm somehow bugged because, like, there's a lot of buggy poo poo right now. So I'm not 100% sure. But I definitely had two caravans running simultaneously.

I don't think it's a tech as I ran two caravans by like turn 8 during my first Cathay run.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

genericnick posted:

When I disbanded an army earlier the penalty vanished. Is that a display error?

Yes it is a ui error. Your stuff will still cost more.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Slaanesh was more fun than I thought... but half his roster also seems to suck balls. The chariots barely accomplish anything and his cavalry is so squishy. He feels so weak coming from Khorne

Those anteater suckbeast fiends of his are pretty great though

Yeah, I'm running into the same thing. Everything to do with the strategic layer and diplomacy is fun and good, but fighting actual battles tends to be fiddly and annoying annoying. Though I've found getting yourself some units of other factions through allegiance and seduction is a way around it, having a halfway solid frontline helps a bunch.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Regulus74 posted:

Is anyone else having problems alt-tabbing out of the game? About a quarter of the time that I try to do it, the game just closes completely as though I hit exit to windows.

Yeah, same.

tildes posted:

Can I replace a dude or does that also still stack up supply lines. I guess I could check, but :effort:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Tzeentch has to stand still to shoot so sending expendables to close to melee while you set up your own shoot, flank or have real melee arrive after the peasants die works well. If it's an even 20v20 uhhh hope it's your LL stack, Tzeentch is pretty mean but lop-sided. Despite his shootiness he doesn't seem to carry bulk artillery around so outranging him works well. Also for god's sake don't forget about bronze/silver shields, you're fighting a shooty faction. You can get Jade Crossbows with shields at T3 on a cheap building chain.

Worst part of fighting Tzeentch is Kairos + every sub can halt you. I'm really only at 5-6 halts in 85 turns but the bias is pretty clear and not really interesting, just "you're going slower" and moving through Mountains of Mourn without Underway is the Badlands all over again, especially if corruption is high. Would be more fun if Tzeentch did sneaky scheme poo poo like spawn a half stack of a random army(pull from allies if possible) to attack your LL stack/a capital with no diplomatic repercussions. Or at least limit full blown Tzeentch schemes to Kairos' faction, Meow doesn't get a choice on starting at war with 6 minor Chaos/Rogue factions and one is a sub-Tzeentch.

All that said I stabilized the ogre offensive vs my southern border and finally got Meow down there as well as the second round of rifts closed and Zhao recovered from wounded(that explains the confed odds going so well for me!) Two front offensive taking all the mountains has begun. I'm 2 souls behind now but I feel confident I can punch everybody to death while the Advisor nervously tries to get my attention.

Another big Cathay tip: the -upkeep Bastion Gates have covers a small zone around them. You can station 3-6+ armies there if you really god drat want to. I've got a 4th waiting there in case rifts or bullshit(ain't see random rogue army spawns in my territory yet) comes up so they can just run in and slap the rifts before heading back. I have 5 armies guarding the homeland and 3 on offense. Thanks 4% VH upkeep.

The cheap -45% speed spell is real good. Really harshes the buzz of that one extra flyer/cavalry that actually might reach something valuable.

Zhao rules and his VA is great, same for Meow.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

tildes posted:

It's worse than that. Basically, if you recruit a Lord and then disband them, you get permanently stuck with their supply lines upkeep penalty because if you re-recruit a previously disbanded Lord, you get a new upkeep penalty and suiciding them will only get rid of the latest one. So it's entirely possible to accumulate a massive, unremovable upkeep penalty if you are used to doing things like recruiting a Lord to colonize a ruin and then disbanding them.

And no, don't ask me why I had to restart my Kislev campaign. :v:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

Can i make a confession? I'd pay for a super scripted campaign made in the image of the tutorial. It was fun. Give me immortal empires and then total war lite warcraft edition CA please.

I'd love more scripted mini campaigns that fleshed our smaller bits of lore and characters. The Markus campaign in Warhammer 2 was among my favorites for the same reason, it had some fun story tidbits that others lacked.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
What's the best ogre doomstack unit?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Nurglings are a hilariously cute looking unit. Just these little gummy bear looking demons somersaulting around, carrying each other on their shoulders and wrestling with one another.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Need a mod that faintly plays the Gremlins theme when you zoom in close on Nurglins

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

I mean that's great but heart of winter deals with one of the eight directions you're being hit from. It's absolutely beatable but if you're running a mostly kossar stack you're going to lose most of it.

Yeah, I had to restart a few times to figure out the optimal plan and having unit variety probably is needed. You should definitely have 2 sleds for the fight, that way they can tie up the Forsaken in the back by plowing through them a few times until your Ice Guard or Greatweapon Kossars can run back and fight them. They're pretty much the only thing that won't get shredded by them. For the big blob of blue/pink horrors at the front you should charge them with everything as soon as you kill the cav and flyers. I had 3 cav units so I ran them through the gap where the Soul Grinder spawns and cycle-charged the horrors and flamers from the back to stop them from firing for as long as possible.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 19, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I remember hearing that Herald lords can become greater daemons. How exactly does that work? Is it a dilemma triggered by hitting a certain level or is it buried in their skill tree somewhere?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

So far it seems like confederating Zhao is nigh-on impossible if it is possible at all. Not saying you won't find a way, just saying that it seems to be a well a lot of people are tossing their resources down with no luck.

Both DameOffensive and Legend have said that nothing they've done has worked to confederate the two Cathayan LLs. I think it's partly thanks to the caravan/item mechanic that they'd double up on what look like unique items (just as you can't confederate Vampirates with the unlockable tech LLs)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

neonchameleon posted:

Both DameOffensive and Legend have said that nothing they've done has worked to confederate the two Cathayan LLs. I think it's partly thanks to the caravan/item mechanic that they'd double up on what look like unique items (just as you can't confederate Vampirates with the unlockable tech LLs)

Can they declare war on each other?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

we got lovecraftian watto from star wars over here flying a podracer for tzeentch

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Collapsing Farts posted:

Slaanesh was more fun than I thought... but half his roster also seems to suck balls.

Only half?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ideally all of Slaanesh's roster would suck some balls

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I remember hearing that Herald lords can become greater daemons. How exactly does that work? Is it a dilemma triggered by hitting a certain level or is it buried in their skill tree somewhere?

I'm also curious about this, I think it would be optimal to have a bunch of groupy demons following your lord around until you got a bunch of greaters.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Captain Oblivious posted:

My Herald of Slaanesh got a choice when she hit 25 or so. Choice between Herald of Pain (-7 enemy leadership), Herald of Pleasure (+7 leadership), or staying whatever Herald they already were. After I turned them into a Herald of Pleasure they started at level 8 IIRC.

e: I may be misremembering her default unit type, she's a Lord not a Hero though

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Just beat the campaign. I actually really enjoyed it a lot. That said I probably won't rush through more because of how stressful it gets. I might paint the map as Kislev for a while and then move onto the ogres.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My horror lord of Tzeentch ascended at 15, surprisingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Looks like you can edit the data pack right now to disable rifts if you want

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/swf8cy/i_made_a_guide_on_how_to_simply_disable_chaos/

make sure you backup your data pack file since you have to edit it directly though, doesn't look like theres a way to load a separate pack file mod yet.