Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Terminal autist posted:

Why is the US in a position to accuse or even have intelligence on the ceasefire?

afaik none of the OSCE monitors in Ukraine right now are americans

https://twitter.com/NRC_Egeland/status/1492575522630557704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Terminal autist posted:

If you're looking for an actual leftist youtuber take here is a great Hasan video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LStCD3Mntrw

Not addressing the bullshit part of your post but Vaush responds to Hasan's (and Kyle Kulinski's) bad Russia takes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj_yLpBJW8A

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The osce is part of NATO and a unified European system to identify things like what's occuring?

It's not, in fact Russia is an OSCE member -- and that it was permitted to take part in "monitoring" a conflict it's a member of did little for the mission's trustworthiness for Ukrainians.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not addressing the bullshit part of your post but Vaush responds to Hasan's (and Kyle Kulinski's) bad Russia takes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj_yLpBJW8A

They're both idiot youtubers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Private Speech posted:

They're both idiot youtubers.

I suppose, but since there seems to be some doubts regarding traditional media coverage its worthwhile to consider amateur new media.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Raenir Salazar posted:

Politics aside Vaush is a pedophile stop platforming pedophiles TIA.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GodEmpanada/status/1476733086217949186

https://mobile.twitter.com/vaushv/status/1209941122325172224?lang=en

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Both Vaush and Hasan are low effort leftist youtubers. I'm not a fan of their content or their content style. They often seem to have a poor grasp of what they're talking about and I expect more from people having such a huge platform as those two.

I'm a leftist.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

:eyepop: That's, uh... really bad.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

I have no idea who this guy is but that looks like a bit

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Really that's alot of it, command and control is a great book that goes over how dumb the military really was at times with nuclear weapons, and removal and disposal is a massive undertaking that no one wants to initiate because of logistics and saving face.

The weapons there should be removed though, especially with how turkey has been the last decade.

Will second Command and Control as a very good book. Relevant to the conversation, it's mentioned in C&C that at various points US security around Jupiter Missile batteries in Italy and Turkey were so hilariously minimal that all either country would have had to do to become a nuclear power was to brain a 2nd LT with a key around his neck with a rock. Which in turn was a big reason why the US was fine with removing the Jupiter batteries from Turkey after the Cuban Missile Crisis.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discuss YouTubers in a YouTuber thread, tia.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Let's please resist the urge to make this about streamer personalities or similar, unless the streamers in question are local to the conflict or otherwise especially knowledgeable beyond being active in politics generally. This is certainly not the space to hash out what specific variety of deeply cursed Vaush is or Hasan's house etc etc

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is that to say "please avoid posting youtubers unless they are local or deeply knowledge about the conflict" which is what the second half I think generally implies to me, or is it "It's okay to post clips from youtubers discussing or analyzing the conflict but don't derail the thread in order to litigate the personalities"? Just wanting to make sure. :)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Leftist Youtuber Vaush put up a video yesterday assessing recent updates regarding the conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qABLpdt6f2o

I like the way he goes into it open minded and just looking at the facts and various sources and clearly comes away convinced of the reality of the facts. I think if anyone is looking for a leftist commentary of the situation but don't want knee jerk anti-imperialist commentary that's just "US bad" Vaush is pretty good to go to for updates and live commentary.

From what I've seen in his previous videos on the topic, he was woefully uninformed, flippant, and preoccupied with some dumb intra-breadtube drama, which obviously coloured his opinions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is that to say "please avoid posting youtubers unless they are local or deeply knowledge about the conflict" which is what the second half I think generally implies to me, or is it "It's okay to post clips from youtubers discussing or analyzing the conflict but don't derail the thread in order to litigate the personalities"? Just wanting to make sure. :)

It’s okay to post what YouTubers have to say about the thread topic, if they’re reasonably qualified. It’s not okay to discuss their careers or personalities beyond what is relevant to the thread topic.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's important to be able to consult an american before knowing how to think about a given situation. Especially an american with many adjectives around their name.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Terminal autist posted:

Vaush is not a leftist but he is a pedophile though. If you're looking for an actual leftist youtuber take here is a great Hasan video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LStCD3Mntrw

From what I've seen in his previous videos on the topic, he was woefully uninformed, flippant, and preoccupied with some dumb intra-breadtube drama, which obviously coloured his opinions.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

If it's just some rando telling us their opinion, I'd ask that thought be put into how much this video would contribute before posting it and if a short summary of their points for the thread to discuss would be better. There's plenty of relevant video content on the subject and it's highly encouraged to post it and indeed has been posted, I just don't think streamers explaining their opinions on it beneath 10 layers of sarcasm most won't be tuned in to (I say this as a Hasan watcher) is a very promising avenue. As for arguing about personalities or controversies, absolutely not.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s okay to post what YouTubers have to say about the thread topic, if they’re reasonably qualified. It’s not okay to discuss their careers or personalities beyond what is relevant to the thread topic.

I think its relevant to point out if someone is a pedophile and uninformed people start watching a pedophile but your mileage may vary

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's important to be able to consult an american before knowing how to think about a given situation. Especially an american with many adjectives around their name.

You can consult me a Canadian instead. :)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Epic High Five posted:

If it's just some rando telling us their opinion, I'd ask that thought be put into how much this video would contribute before posting it and if a short summary of their points for the thread to discuss would be better. There's plenty of relevant video content on the subject and it's highly encouraged to post it and indeed has been posted, I just don't think streamers explaining their opinions on it beneath 10 layers of sarcasm most won't be tuned in to (I say this as a Hasan watcher) is a very promising avenue. As for arguing about personalities or controversies, absolutely not.

Thanks for the clarification! Yeah I think I was doing that at least in part with my original post (or at least was more than just "Here's a cool video peace!"); so an improvement I could make hypothetically for next time if I find a video or blog post by a rando that I am sure is a good contribution would be to better elaborate on the points elucidated in the video, especially if its a longer video?

e: Paladinus :hmmyes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Terminal autist posted:

I think its relevant to point out if someone is a pedophile and uninformed people start watching a pedophile but your mileage may vary

I suggest opening a thread in QCS about this.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I had literally never heard of Vaush until people started complaining about him

just ignore

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I suggest opening a thread in QCS about this.

Not sure how to respond to this other than U mad? I'll happily eat a probe to point out that someone is platforming a pedophile after receipts have been posted. I understand this is derailing the thread but you making flippant posts like this is doing the same thing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

You can consult me a Canadian instead. :)

Thanks for the clarification! Yeah I think I was doing that at least in part with my original post (or at least was more than just "Here's a cool video peace!"); so an improvement I could make hypothetically for next time if I find a video or blog post by a rando that I am sure is a good contribution would be to better elaborate on the points elucidated in the video, especially if its a longer video?

e: Paladinus :hmmyes:

I mean, in the end post how you'd like and as long as it follows the very basic guidelines put forth for participation in this thread and D&D broadly, go wild. My own personal posting strategy is to not post any video longer than like, 2 minutes on the assumption that nobody is gonna watch it, and to instead summarize the points I felt were relevant in it. Then if someone is already interested, drop the video as extra info. That's just my own personal philosophy of posting though because I, personally, do not click on videos 99% of the time.

The intention here wasn't to discourage people posting videos but rather to keep them relevant in a more direct way and (mostly) to prevent a big fight over American streamers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes. In general, it’s bad tone to expect people to watch random video, so if you want to maximise your chances that at least 1 person clicks through, you should provide some time stamps, or, better, summarised quotes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Terminal autist posted:

Not sure how to respond to this other than U mad? I'll happily eat a probe to point out that someone is platforming a pedophile after receipts have been posted. I understand this is derailing the thread but you making flippant posts like this is doing the same thing

You pointed it out, people heard, and you weren't punished for it. Please let this whole subject die there, or take it to a youtube/streamer discussion thread which I'm sure exists somewhere and can hunt down for you if you'd like.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Will second Command and Control as a very good book. Relevant to the conversation, it's mentioned in C&C that at various points US security around Jupiter Missile batteries in Italy and Turkey were so hilariously minimal that all either country would have had to do to become a nuclear power was to brain a 2nd LT with a key around his neck with a rock. Which in turn was a big reason why the US was fine with removing the Jupiter batteries from Turkey after the Cuban Missile Crisis.

It wasn't even that, I think it was a civilian monitor at the time to be even more insane.

And a commander had the ability to launch an entire complex of ICBMs at one point because the second commander override had a failsafe they could bypass by setting the timer to 0 seconds

Literally we came so close to possible MAD so many times, and that's just what we know of the us, let alone from the USSR.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Edit: removed after seeing the mod post above.

Anyway, serious question, what's China doing? I heard a while back that relations between them and Russia aren't great, and I could see China opposing this move just to gain some favour in the international community. And if China says no to Russia, Russia ain't doing poo poo.

If they say nothing or support Russia, oh boy this is gonna be spicy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The only people stupider than vaush are those who post vaush videos.

Anyway, serious question, what's China doing? I heard a while back that relations between them and Russia aren't great, and I could see China opposing this move just to gain some favour in the international community. And if China says no to Russia, Russia ain't doing poo poo.

They announced a pipeline project.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

China seems to be staying out of this. They have a token deal with Russia, where they’re the clear beneficiary, and on Munich conference the head of their delegation said that Ukraine is rightful to expect its territorial integrity respect. They did also add that Russia may have genuine concerns about NATO/U.S., but it’s very clear that they’re simply taking notes for any future action of their own.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Edit: removed after seeing the mod post above.

My cat is trying to nap on my keyboard so apologies for any typos, but basically China in particular Xi seems to want to be seen as the respectable elder statesmen, and while has given lipservice to Russia's stated concerns (and as said in Game of Thrones, 'Words are Wind') have otherwise seemed to have stated that all nations territorial sovereignty needs to be respected and that Ukraine specifically is no exception. Which makes sense as China has good reason to take a dim view of foreign nations encouraging secession movements! I also imagine China probably has zero reason to believe that the palas cat won't eventually eat their face in turn given previous border disputes between them if Russia is given a green cheque.

Unlike the 1980's though I don't think China is going to intervene or say anything more than their sternly worded disapproval that generates positive news coverage of them. So China isn't going to veto any UNSC or UN General Assembly condemnation or sanctions probably but they also probably aren't going to actively do anything either and just let Russia get in or out of their own jam and want to be left out of it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Raenir Salazar posted:

Unlike the 1980's though I don't think China is going to intervene or say anything more than their sternly worded disapproval that generates positive news coverage of them. So China isn't going to veto any UNSC or UN General Assembly condemnation or sanctions probably but they also probably aren't going to actively do anything either and just let Russia get in or out of their own jam and want to be left out of it.

This was kind of the vibe I was getting, as it seems like a Bad Move for them to get directly involved in this conflict right now.

Thanks for the info, people who have been paying far more attention than me.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

As far as leftist-ish video content goes, the Gravel institute put out a pretty good explainer on all the Nazis riddling Ukraine's government https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtOx6dW_0vU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I 100% agree with this, for what it's worth. It's pretty clear they're going to be annoyed at Russia if they do it but their "alliance" (such that it is) is one of convenience and not one of shared history, as it was pre-1980s.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarQs__/status/1495142402507649025
Russian armored vehicles in Donetsk

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Rodiel posted:

turky was strait up fighting the us airforce in syria

Did this really happen? I'm not saying you're lying I'm just curious about it. Do you know any source for this? I know multiple air forces have been flying over Syria for years now so it wouldn't surprise me if something accidental happened but I've never heard of the Turkish airforce intentionally firing upon US planes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I think it's starting.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I 100% agree with this, for what it's worth. It's pretty clear they're going to be annoyed at Russia if they do it but their "alliance" (such that it is) is one of convenience and not one of shared history, as it was pre-1980s.

I doubt they're really going to be annoyed at Russia, hence the vague platitudes and otherwise lack of action/involvement. They don't care. Hell, if Russia invades China loses nothing but it means there's decent odds Russia ends up more economically reliant on China and Ukraine gets to buy more stuff to rebuild.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Red and Black posted:

As far as leftist-ish video content goes, the Gravel institute put out a pretty good explainer on all the Nazis riddling Ukraine's government https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtOx6dW_0vU

fwiw this video also explicitly points out that it's untrue and Russian propaganda to claim that Ukraine is "governed by Nazis" or full of Nazis. I'm not saying you made that claim, the video does indeed talk about the growing far-right in Ukraine (supported by the US) and how many affiliated people are gaining positions of power as your post states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Charliegrs posted:

Did this really happen? I'm not saying you're lying I'm just curious about it. Do you know any source for this? I know multiple air forces have been flying over Syria for years now so it wouldn't surprise me if something accidental happened but I've never heard of the Turkish airforce intentionally firing upon US planes.
Might be mixing up shooting down a Russian Sukhoi Su-24 and firing warning (artillery) shots near a US outpost, the latter of which caused the US to pull out to avoid clashes with Turkish forces?