Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

pr0k posted:

one caveat - if you bang poo poo around in your freezer a lot, make sure you haven't damaged the bag before you set it and forget it

I'm thinking probably the best thing for me to do is put the bagged goods in a lidded container, cause yeah I will absolutely slam, despite not wanting to jam

Sous vide brisket 2nite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is Jeni’s ice cream good? I’m getting influenced on social media but also side eye advertising on social media.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jeni's owns. The flavor combos and ingredients are dope and the texture is spot on. OTOH, if you're someone that will eat half a pint or a whole pint in a sitting, it might not be for you unless you're making mad :10bux:. These days, I tend to eat 2-3 bites and I'm good, so spending $9-12 on a pint isn't as painful.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Personal favs are lemon and blueberry, boston cream pie, and goat cheese w/ cherries. In the summer there's a sweet corn and blackberry that is :snoop:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, also a Jeni's stan, though they're spendy. We've got some of the Sugar Plum in the freezer right now and it's good. I haven't had enough to have reasonable favorites, but the Pineapple Upside Down Cake is great, and I've really enjoyed the Brown Butter Almond Brittle too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I do like their brambleberry crisp a lot, but I am blessed to live in the Other Ohio City With Fantastic Ice Cream, so it's never really a priority to buy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I’m vaguely curious to try it now, but I can get like 3-4 pints of Ben & Jerry’s or whatever else at the grocery for the same price, I feel like if I’m spending that I’d rather go somewhere local.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Hauki posted:

I’m vaguely curious to try it now, but I can get like 3-4 pints of Ben & Jerry’s or whatever else at the grocery for the same price, I feel like if I’m spending that I’d rather go somewhere local.

It's somewhat less at my grocer, just 2 B&J pints, I'd say. It's pretty comparable to what I'd pay for a pint at a favorite local creamery, depending.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

It's better than Ben & Jerry's.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Drink and Fight posted:

It's better than Ben & Jerry's.

Definitely.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Well now I’m going to have to head to Whole Foods and get some :mad:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you guys have Van Leeuwen or Ample Hills in grocery stores?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This high-end ice cream chat is making me sad. There are some good options here in the UK: Green & Black's chocolate is excellent, and there is an Italian make called Grom which is very expensive (£7) which makes a pistachio with an outstanding flavour (texture is very slightly oleaginous) and a magnificent raspberry sorbet. I try to buy them only when on sale.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The best ice cream I ever had was some made by Kapiti in New Zealand, really good stuff, rich and creamy. I’m sad I can’t get it any more in Aus but we have some good ice cream here too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
You can make super premium ice cream at home. It's not even all that hard. Go ahead and drop 10 extra egg yolks in and use condensed milk and a splash of vodka (to reduce the crystal size) along with excessive amounts of chocolate or whatever.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you guys have Van Leeuwen or Ample Hills in grocery stores?

I've got a limited amount of Van Leeuwen. We really like their peanut butter brownie chip, but haven't got many repeats otherwise.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ben Nevis posted:

I've got a limited amount of Van Leeuwen. We really like their peanut butter brownie chip, but haven't got many repeats otherwise.

I’ve tried the earl grey and the pistachio, they were… fine, but yeah, I haven’t really gotten repeats either.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What is the best orange sherbet? I would like to taste the best possible orange sherbet. I am willing to make it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

It’s good to know I’m not alone.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Okay Jeni’s is great. My wallet does not appreciate this fact.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tonight I had Kobe beef liver sashimi. I feel strong now. I AM MADE OF IRON.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Shopping at an 'assorted Eastern Europe' grocery store this weekend, I discovered a beef version of Prosciutto, which seems to hail from Bosnian cuisine (but this was made in New York).

Goveda Prsuta. The brand I found is called 'Brother and Sister' and weirdly, googling it seems to show the same product I bought, with beef clearly listed label, but the description text often mentions goat. I can't see to find a webpage for the company, just people who sell it.

It's amazing. Hard, so it's easy with a sharp knife to shave off thin slices. Intensely beefy, smokey. Salty but not insanely so. It was in the refrigerator section, but I am contemplating this as possible camping food as it is the dryest, hardest meat I have encountered.

Anyone else encountered this? It's amazing!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arkhamina posted:

Shopping at an 'assorted Eastern Europe' grocery store this weekend, I discovered a beef version of Prosciutto, which seems to hail from Bosnian cuisine (but this was made in New York).

Goveda Prsuta. The brand I found is called 'Brother and Sister' and weirdly, googling it seems to show the same product I bought, with beef clearly listed label, but the description text often mentions goat. I can't see to find a webpage for the company, just people who sell it.

It's amazing. Hard, so it's easy with a sharp knife to shave off thin slices. Intensely beefy, smokey. Salty but not insanely so. It was in the refrigerator section, but I am contemplating this as possible camping food as it is the dryest, hardest meat I have encountered.

This is cool and I'd try it but I can't imagine buying it. I wonder if it's here in Vancouver.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

That looks delicious. Is it at all similar to bresaola?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Arkhamina posted:

I used to buy similar stuff at a turkish market around here, until it closed. Great stuff, but it is indeed very hard.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Never heard of bresaola before, but it sounds similar. I do wonder if that is heavy smoked though?

This store is 45 minutes away, but I think I am going to have to work my way through some of the interesting foods...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bresaola is not generally smoked in my experience

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Anyone near Cincinnati interested in some cast iron? I have too much and am getting married so would like more money for that.

Herbalette
Dec 22, 2021

not *that* herb, silly
I would Cooke the quiche completely, package well- then freeze it. When you are ready to eat it- thaw before heating. This keeps.the overcooking to a minimum. Sadly soggy crust can be a problem…but since I am more of a filling person, it’s no problem for me.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I just spent two weeks or so in exurban Kentucky where there was a local farm stand that stocked summer tomatoes, fresh eggs, and various pickles from IA Amish country…and now I have to go face the winter farmer’s market alone, just me and an uncaring god.

Wish me luck.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My wife got me a bunch of fun baking stuff for my birthday so I was gearing up for a weekend of lemon meringue pie and biscuits. The oven igniter went out yesterday and the replacement parts won’t get here until Wednesday at the earliest :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t you manually light it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can’t you manually light it?
I've wondered that about gas ovens for a while and never bothered to actually look into it. Don't they turn on and off which would be a problem if it can't ignite? Or do they keep something like a pilot light going as long as the oven is on?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yeah the oven switches on and off to regulate heat, apparently there’s a switch that only releases gas when it senses a metal bit in the electronic igniter has gotten enough amps to be hot enough to ignite the gas. Since the wires used to heat the metal bit failed, the gas switch won’t operate let gas out. Or something like that. No pilot light from what I’ve seen.

Regardless, it’d be a pain to get everything disassembled enough to light the oven if I could get the gas going. Pie can wait, it’s Girl Scout cookie season and I have thin mints in the freezer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Some have a pilot light, some have electric ignition. My old one had a pilot light in the broiler drawer so every few months you'd have to writhe around on the floor

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Democratic Pirate posted:

My wife got me a bunch of fun baking stuff for my birthday so I was gearing up for a weekend of lemon meringue pie and biscuits. The oven igniter went out yesterday and the replacement parts won’t get here until Wednesday at the earliest :(

Time to try baking on the grill

It can be done, I believe in you

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

Yeah the oven switches on and off to regulate heat, apparently there’s a switch that only releases gas when it senses a metal bit in the electronic igniter has gotten enough amps to be hot enough to ignite the gas. Since the wires used to heat the metal bit failed, the gas switch won’t operate let gas out. Or something like that. No pilot light from what I’ve seen.

Regardless, it’d be a pain to get everything disassembled enough to light the oven if I could get the gas going. Pie can wait, it’s Girl Scout cookie season and I have thin mints in the freezer.

No-bake pie with a thin mints crust.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Dig a hole, light a fire, and get baking!

https://www.rei.com/media/1f625816-89dd-472a-815f-4a84a49ae846?size=784x588

Love campfire lemon meringue pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Dig a hole, light a fire, and get baking!

https://www.rei.com/media/1f625816-89dd-472a-815f-4a84a49ae846?size=784x588

Love campfire lemon meringue pie.
How do you whip the egg whites?