Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Buffer posted:

It didn't even take a minute for someone to chime in with:

which is asserting that freedom from facial recognition (a thing we do in the united states and which masks stop) is worth all of this in a hyperbolic and maybe jokey manner as means to try to dismiss that doing something about covid was possible.

I'm not brigading and have no interest in talking about this specific conversation outside this thread. I will be continuing to blow off steam RE: dealing with this and my immunocompromised wife in other threads as this isn't a very good place to do that. If that's not cool and a mod wants me not to post here because I post a lot in other threads I'll gladly stop.

Again, that has nothing to do with the statement I quoted.

My wife is immunocompromised, too. Take a break or do something else besides having some different conversation in your head and posting at people about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Again, that has nothing to do with the statement I quoted.

My wife is immunocompromised, too. Take a break or do something else besides having some different conversation in your head and posting at people about it.

Ok. Well, thanks for the backseat modding and accusation of insanity. Really moves a conversation forward.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Craptacular! posted:

China’s “back to normal” works because their definition of normal was always Orwellian.

Lord take my soul.

Idk, man. I'm fine with people eating up propaganda. It's going to happen. I just get upset when people eat up propaganda that serves no good purpose. What national interest is served by deliberately misunderstanding a great powers adversary, if we are to take the inevitability of great powers conflict at face value?

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yeah you absolutely can get both, delta and omicron can coexist since one tends to be uri first and the other likes to be a lri. It's rare, but absolutely you can get a double infection

An aside, current numbers are 25 patients total inhospital with covid here. No one in ICU currently.

In your experience, are those double infections any different from typical cov2 infections, if you've seen any?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 19, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Buffer posted:

Ok. Well, thanks for the backseat modding and accusation of insanity. Really moves a conversation forward.

I didn't accuse you of insanity. I accused you of not engaging with people in this thread in order to have the kind of conversation you want rather than the one that is actually happening. That makes it pretty difficult to keep responding to the points you make.

I only suggested you take a break because you brought it up in the first place.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

We've reached the endpoint of free market capitalist ideology: rationalizing a Megadeath in the US alone as good news because stopping the virus would have been worse

I mean... here's the thing, is it's not really up to me what is "good" for a nation of 330,000,000 people. I was fine staying inside. But it was obvious by late April of 2020 that a lot of people weren't, and they were not going to stay isolated or indoors.

In the western conception of civil liberties - and, in particular, the American conception of an armed populace - it was not practical to force people inside or restrict their travel. It would have quickly led to extreme civil unrest, which would've been deleterious to zero-spread quarantines anyway. And people didn't just leave their houses to make "number go up" or "gently caress and suck at Applebee's." They did it because they really wanted to. And some of what they did was great - I mean, the summer of 2020 featured large groups of young people, leftists and anti-racists having large gatherings in the street. I think most of us appreciated it. That would not be allowed in China, or in any country that was attempting to enforce Zero Covid.

Like, for whatever set of reasons, it was very very important to Westerners that they be able to continue their lives as close to normal as possible, and it is also very very important to Westerners, politically, that they have the right to do so. When you say "the US should've done what China did" - well, it couldn't have. It was literally impossible. The practical effect of a hard lockdown is, theoretically, is "listen - you have to stay inside, we are not loving kidding, you will be arrested if you come outside". But the symbolic effect in the US would've been, "your rights have been taken away, and can be taken away whenever the government decides it's really important to do so." I think it's pretty obvious at this point that that idea makes Americans lose their god drat minds. This isn't because of any racial characteristics (Jesus Christ), it's because Americans spent their entire lives drenched in an ideology that tells you that you can make whatever decision you want to and have the means to, and it's not your responsibility to think about other people. Your Choice.

Now, I think it's also pretty obvious that this is, in fact, a gigantic weakness in western culture! But there's not anything our current leaders could've done - this die was basically cast before they were even born. This ideology has obviously been costing us in a lot of ways, even before Covid. It ensures the continuance of poverty and untreated disease and ignorance. It's going to take a long time to undo the damage and how to figure out how to reconcile the good parts of our culture, the parts that have led to an astonishing flourish of culture and technological innovation, with the bad parts. (It may never happen.)

China, likewise, deserves credit for its successes. It is unambiguously a victory for their system of government that it was able to contain this disease. But they, too, have their own cultural sicknesses, and they, too, will need a long time to figure out how to reconcile the strengths of their culture - such as a high valuation of empiricism and an appreciation of collective action - with the bad. (It may never happen.)

This isn't a matter of "US good" and "China bad" or vice versa. It's simply an acknowledgement that China's covid policy could not have been put into effect in the US, any more than you could freeze water in an oven. This is a natural disaster that one society was ready to deal with, and one was not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean... here's the thing, is it's not really up to me what is "good" for a nation of 330,000,000 people. I was fine staying inside. But it was obvious by late April of 2020 that a lot of people weren't, and they were not going to stay isolated or indoors.

I think the underlined part is where a lot of people - myself included - hit the brakes on the comparative conversation and call the match.

Americans were broadly more willing to put themselves ahead of public health than the example counterpart. The rest is interesting, sure, but in my qualitative way of seeing the health of a society's soul, the damnation of the United States as a people starts and stops there.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Potato Salad posted:

Americans were generally more willing to put themselves ahead of public health. The rest is interesting, sure, but the damnation of the United States as a people starts and stops there.

Fair enough!

The point is, we were damned not by an lone decision that we made ("gently caress public health") as much as the entire structure and value system of our society, which made that decision inevitable. Like climate change, covid exposes a way in which our society is a complete failure. And we are gonna keep getting our asses kicked until our society either crumbles or changes.

And I mean, we are the kind of people who are willing to acknowledge that that value system is basically a historical accident, instilled in us partly by Renaissance philosophy but mostly for somebody else's profit. Imagine how upsetting this is for somebody who thought it was the ultimate truth handed down to George Washington on Mount Vernon by God himself.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 19, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Like, for whatever set of reasons, it was very very important to Westerners that they be able to continue their lives as close to normal as possible, and it is also very very important to Westerners, politically, that they have the right to do so. When you say "the US should've done what China did" - well, it couldn't have. It was literally impossible.
Yes I think this is true and a more accurate description than "stopping covid is only possible with a totalitarian police state which is even worse than covid". The lives that were lost were weighed against the personal convenience of the other 99% of the population and personal convenience won out.

If covid had black death or smallpox mortality rates (30-80%) then the risk assessment would have come out different and a lot more NPI's would have become possible because it would no longer have been 'convenience versus pandemic control' but 'convenience versus my death personally' for a lot of people.

Our response was a function of the effect of the disease. Since the number of people who died were relatively few compared to the overall population, and the effects were concentrated in groups of people that are judged to have lesser or near zero value in our culture anyway (the working class, people of color, people with medical issues, etc), the response was always going to be what it was.

Which is different from rationalizing any other response as totalitarian dystopia or what have you.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The "but china did it this way and that way was impossible in the west" argument is so tired.

It's an exercise in alternative reality creation fantasy that reinforces the idea that the only time strong or new public health measures can be taken was sometime in the past and that we should not bother even imagining what we can do now.

Every single day we head forward into the future without addressing the new and permanent roommate that we and all of our future generations will live with is a failure to address reality. We overcommitted to the belief that a magical vaccine could do it all and nothing else was required for public health and safety. We need to let that go. China, to its credit has not done this.

Public air quality monitors, HVAC standards for bars, gyms, and restaurants, formal public sewage testing programs, permanent guidance around when people should mask or be required to mask, a global sampling network that targets animal reserves like we already have for flu, yearly vaccines, labor work standards focused on limiting crowding, paid sick leave, and improving ventilation, etc etc. These are polices we choose not to enact every day and people are and will continue to die as a result. There is no "back to normal". There is only "a new normal that we have created, based on what we have learned and accepted."

Unfortunately I think it's going to take another three+ more years of anguish and death from covid cycles and variants before we come to accept that we can't go back, but will have to choose to live in the world as it exists.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 19, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mellow Seas posted:

Imagine how upsetting this is for somebody who thought it was the ultimate truth handed down to George Washington on Mount Vernon by God himself.
Basically at least half of the US?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Potato Salad posted:

Lord take my soul.

Idk, man. I'm fine with people eating up propaganda. It's going to happen. I just get upset when people eat up propaganda that serves no good purpose. What national interest is served by deliberately misunderstanding a great powers adversary, if we are to take the inevitability of great powers conflict at face value?

Here's the thing: I think the reach China exhibits on the public in the best of times is oppressive, though sure I give them goodwill for applying the power of that reach to stopping the spread of COVID. But if you could beat COVID by shooting guns and launching bombs at poorer countries, we'd be #1 in the world at stopping COVID, and if other people in Canada and Finland and whatever asked why they can't follow the power of our example I'd tell them that we're just doing what we always do and it just happens to be very effective. What China does when there's no pandemic going on makes them well equipped to handle crises like this.

If you wanted me to be a REAL dipshit, I'd say something like "well China also keeps a literal concentration camp of Muslims should we do that too huh?" I could even tell you the tales of actual Chinese people excusing the concentration camp as a day club for people who are just so inherently uncivilized and barbarous that they'd all be off committing terrorisms all over the place if China wasn't keeping them fenced into this wonderful facility where they're getting better treatment than they would on their own, thank you. But that poo poo isn't relevant at all so to bring it up would be playing on sinophobia with irrelevant strawmen.

It astounds me that the very same people who are first to jump to the understanding that criticizing the policies of the Israeli state is not anti-Semite activity so routinely confuse criticism of the CCP as some sort of attack on Asian identity, culture, etc. It's like people elevate the CCP to the same level as Confucius.

El Mero Mero posted:

The "but china did it this way and that way was impossible in the west" argument is so tired.
Especially since the most turbo-hardcore variants that keep loving societies have come out of parts of the world that are neither!

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 19, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

El Mero Mero posted:

The world doesn't consist exclusively of "China" and "The West", and the virus doesn't only infect humans.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Rust Martialis posted:

The world doesn't consist exclusively of "China" and "The West", and the virus doesn't only infect humans.

What's your point?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Potato Salad posted:

In your experience, are those double infections any different from typical cov2 infections, if you've seen any?

Personally I haven't seen any myself, but we know from other viral infections that it does occur and it's been in a few research studies as being observed. Logically it's a possibility and if given the right circumstances something you could see.
best example will be the flu where we have documented knowledge that it occurs and mainly is what enables the intermixing of zoomatic and human flu viruses where they exchange DNA.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Craptacular! posted:

It astounds me that the very same people who are first to jump to the understanding that criticizing the policies of the Israeli state is not anti-Semite activity so routinely confuse criticism of the CCP as some sort of attack on Asian identity, culture, etc. It's like people elevate the CCP to the same level as Confucius.

In broad strokes, I get you. I don't even think I disagree with you anywhere.

From my perspective, the ways in which the Chinese state is draconian is.... kinda irrelevant for covid. The differences that allowed zero covid policy to work in China has to do with the civic mindedness of the people. Yes, that's a civic mindedness fostered by the state; I know the two aren't inseparable. I just see their success not as a credit to draconian states, but rather a victory for societies that place emphasis on service to the public welfare.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 19, 2022

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Mellow Seas posted:

Fair enough!

The point is, we were damned not by an lone decision that we made ("gently caress public health") as much as the entire structure and value system of our society, which made that decision inevitable. Like climate change, covid exposes a way in which our society is a complete failure. And we are gonna keep getting our asses kicked until our society either crumbles or changes.

And I mean, we are the kind of people who are willing to acknowledge that that value system is basically a historical accident, instilled in us partly by Renaissance philosophy but mostly for somebody else's profit. Imagine how upsetting this is for somebody who thought it was the ultimate truth handed down to George Washington on Mount Vernon by God himself.

This was a great set of posts. I think I largely agree with you, thank you for articulating it this well.

It's frustrating from a certain perspective that we likely can't solve certain issues because there will never be a voluntary commitment to doing so and there's no appetite to force it, but welp.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Potato Salad posted:

In broad strokes, I get you. I don't even think I disagree with you anywhere.

From my perspective, the ways in which the Chinese state is draconian is.... kinda irrelevant for covid. The differences that allowed zero covid policy to work in China has to do with the civic mindedness of the people. Yes, that's a civic mindedness fostered by the state; I know the two aren't inseparable. I just see their success not as a credit to draconian states, but rather a victory for societies that place emphasis on service to the public welfare.
There's lots of nations and cultures in the world that place an emphasis on public welfare. The ones without authoritarian governments didn't do very well at stopping the pandemic, it turns out.

I don't think there's a mythical 'civic-mindedness' that the Chinese people have that's unique.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if the correlation ends up being less "authoritarian" versus "liberal democracy" or whatever, and more "country had to or didn't have to take serious steps to stamp out SARS-1". Or maybe that it's going to be muddy because there's a split between being authoritarian and not willing to take the authoritarian steps to contain spread and other countries which aren't considered authoritarian but are willing to do those things.

Australia and NZ did a fantastic job for a long time and are mega capitalist. States that are considered "authoritarian" to varying degrees such as Russia and India also bungled it horribly. It's not like just lying about spread and suppressing death numbers is an impulse restricted by the structure of a national constitution

This is just my gut feeling though, it's gonna be hard to do a sweeping nation-level comparison before we get solid extra deaths figures

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Buffer posted:

Now doing something would've required maybe "authoritarian" measures, but they would've been far more temporary than the disruption that's already ensued and the resulting cost in lives, and economic activity. In hindsight that was absolutely the correct course of action. The failure (re: why we are dealing with covid) was in a lack of response. Do you disagree with this?

If you want to claim that such things were impractical because reasons, I don't know that I'd disagree, but I'd assert that those reasons whatever they be are responsible for quite a lot of death at this point.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you that if the United States and other Western countries had fully adopted China's policies that we probably could have successfully contained things as well as they have. But I think you need to give more serious consideration to whether it would have been actually feasible to implement such policies here. When half the country believed Covid was an overblown flu from the start, compliance to any Xi'an-style citywide lockdowns would have been incredibly poor and likely met with protests, and you would need to resort to force to actually keep people from leaving their homes. Unfortunately in this case the very people you would call upon to enforce your restrictions (police/military) happen to be the same people that are most likely to protest or ignore them, so how well do you think that would have worked out?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The American public has been conditioned by entertainment to think that in terms of extreme health emergencies, you can indeed quarantine an entire city with military checkpoints at the roads going in and out of them. Most people would probably immediately say, “like a zombie apocalypse movie” when you suggest such a thing. You could possibly convince a plurality of Americans that such steps were necessary in the early stages of the pandemic.

However movies are not exactly very well accustomed to the system of federalism and how government works, and for that matter neither was the very special boy serving as head of state at the time. Even if you shut down all air travel to the necessary cities (Seattle, Los Angeles, New York) and put blockades around cities, you would need the governors of WA/CA/NY to commit their National Guard troops to it, and you would need a President who wasn’t more concerned about election year optics.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Epic High Five posted:

Australia and NZ did a fantastic job for a long time and are mega capitalist. States that are considered "authoritarian" to varying degrees such as Russia and India also bungled it horribly. It's not like just lying about spread and suppressing death numbers is an impulse restricted by the structure of a national constitution

They're both island nations with no land borders and substantial bodies of water separating them from the rest of the world, and AUSNZ international airports are also fairly isolated from regular through traffic (meaning you don't generally change planes in Australia or NZ en route to other countries). All those factors made it much, much easier to shut off/tighten controls on entry than it was for almost everyone else, authoritarian or not.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there's more factors at work here.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 19, 2022

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

El Mero Mero posted:

Public air quality monitors, HVAC standards for bars, gyms, and restaurants, formal public sewage testing programs, permanent guidance around when people should mask or be required to mask, a global sampling network that targets animal reserves like we already have for flu, yearly vaccines, labor work standards focused on limiting crowding, paid sick leave, and improving ventilation, etc etc. These are polices we choose not to enact every day and people are and will continue to die as a result. There is no "back to normal". There is only "a new normal that we have created, based on what we have learned and accepted."

Unfortunately I think it's going to take another three+ more years of anguish and death from covid cycles and variants before we come to accept that we can't go back, but will have to choose to live in the world as it exists.

Why do you think this is the future, and not a future where endemic COVID isn't any worse than the annual flu? Honest question. This is the first I've seen this version of the future of endemic COVID.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

werdnam posted:

Why do you think this is the future, and not a future where endemic COVID isn't any worse than the annual flu? Honest question. This is the first I've seen this version of the future of endemic COVID.
Why do you assume the final steady state will be equal to or lesser than the flu? It's a possibility, but there are other possibilities. Some much worse.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They're both island nations with no land borders and substantial bodies of water separating them from the rest of the world, and AUSNZ international airports are also fairly isolated from regular through traffic (meaning you don't generally change planes in Australia or NZ en route to other countries). All those factors made it much, much easier to shut off/tighten controls on entry than it was for almost everyone else, authoritarian or not.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there's more factors at work here.

I think Aus/NZ's isolation also made hard border closures more politically palatable. Australians are used to flying for 15+ hours to reach another Western country, we're used to strict biosecurity laws upon return to the country, we're already in the mental headspace of being far away from everyone else and being able to pull up the drawbridge if something bad happens. And the fact that it pretty immediately paid dividends for most of the country, while the rest of the world was still gripped by COVID and its associated restrictions and disruptions, only cemented the popularity of that decision.

I remember when they closed the borders just to China in February I thought it was an insane overreaction, especially since it was right before the school year started and our university sector is kept afloat by international students mostly from China. One month later when they closed the borders to everybody it was like "loving hell about time."

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

werdnam posted:

Covid isn't going away.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

El Mero Mero posted:

Hell, almost all of those would be progress even without the pandemic.

I live in Hong Kong, and after two years of keeping Covid at bay, it's probably game over here. Cases are doubling almost every day, are up 60x this month, and are probably 10x what they're reported. I know of entire households (3 generations + live-in maid) that used at-home test kits, all tested positive, and decided to ride it out at home rather than turn themselves into the over-capacity health and quarantine system. There is a plan to test the entire population three times starting in a few weeks, but I think it will be too late for that to be useful.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to get bad. Only 30% of the 80-years-old+ population is vaccinated and like half of the 60+. HK did not use the last two years to really prepare for this moment. In hindsight, it seems like the government (and much of the population) was just betting on Covid Zero working forever and did not have backup systems and plans for a break in the levee. System capacity seems to have been calibrated for a steady state of a few daily imported cases and maybe a small local outbreak once every few months. Even building emergency hospital facilities (which they are doing) and designation of all the hotels for quarantining (which they also appear to be moving towards) will not create enough capacity, and that's ignoring the limits on public health professionals.

Someone mentioned 'civic mindedness' upthread as a variable in how China has performed well. At least here in HK, I don't think that's been the case. My impression has been that compliance was driven much more by fear of getting put in a quarantine facility and fear of being public outed and shamed, which was what happened when cases were few enough to report on individually in the press. Unfortunately this also created the perverse incentive to avoiding testing and to bypass track-and-track systems (i.e., phone app).

I don't think a strict HK-wide lockdown would work at this point. Containment attempts on smaller scales (e.g., locking down entire estates with cases) failed. The infrastructure doesn't work for it. Too many people live in old estates that would have needed investment to prevent transmission from housing unit to unit. Too many housing units are not fit for living inside for an extended period — they're basically sleeping pods. Too many people rely on external support (e.g., elderly people who live alone). In hindsight, a lot of that could have been mitigated, but now it's too late.

I think how things pan out in HK will influence how Beijing proceeds with the rest of China. Keep in mind that a lot of HK covid policy has been (and continues to be) guided and supported by mainland authorities and public health experts. I sometimes wonder if HK is being watched as a test run. If the outbreak is absorbed without a catastrophic collapse in the healthcare system and public confidence in the state, then Beijing will be more comfortable with gradually reopening. If something on the other end of the spectrum, then don't count on mainland relaxing policies one bit anytime soon.

I'm still not sure what the long-term plan is for China. They can buy more time to develop and deploy domestic mRNA vaccines that are more effective (ignoring the fact that they already manufacture BioNTech but have no approved it for their own population), stock up other treatments, further bolster the health care system, invest in other improvements like El Mero Mero mentions, etc., but Covid ain't going away. China might be unique in its ability to stay sealed off and more self-sufficient than other places (HKSAR is far more dependent on international connections due to its role as the gateway to China), but I think that ability gets exaggerated. It would also just be a sad state of affairs. I already know lots of people who've missed births, weddings, funerals, and other major life events because they couldn't get back, who've given up on educations, careers, and relationships. I know that those kinds of tolls get dismissed in this thread because dying alone with a tube down one's throat is worse, but they're still real costs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So if China was really banking on COVID Zero with no backup plan and it spirals out of control, supply issues are going to get a lot, lot worse, right?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

So if China was really banking on COVID Zero with no backup plan and it spirals out of control, supply issues are going to get a lot, lot worse, right?

I wouldn't bet on it spiraling out of control. There are a lot of factors unique to Hong Kong that make it more difficult to prevent and respond to outbreaks compared to most places in the mainland. And even if it got out of control in one place in the mainland, it could probably be contained to that area.

For supply issues, it would then depend on how exposed the supply chain is to the outbreak area. But it's probably not great that the Pearl River Delta borders HK and accounts for like a third of Chinese international trade.

Supply chain issues are already hitting HK. Shelves are empty for essentials and prices are very high. But I'm not sure if the causes transfer to the rest of the world. I believe it's mainly been driven by all modes of import having dramatic drops in capacity either due to policies (e.g., truck drivers have to quarantine after making runs) or illness among logistics workers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LifeLynx posted:

A fullblown failure to contain it in China would probably be real bad for all of us, yes. I feel like they aren't looking at things and thinking "Yeah we can literally just do this forever" though.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
It's hard to tell what's going on due to an uneven testing policies, but UK case levels are now back to pre-omicron levels without any NPI's in place. (Positivity is 11% vs the sub 10% it sat at pre-Omicron). The omicron wave cause a fraction of the deaths during that period that it had during previous variant waves https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths#card-weekly_deaths_with_covid-19_on_the_death_certificate_by_date_registered

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Weasling Weasel posted:

It's hard to tell what's going on due to an uneven testing policies, but UK case levels are now back to pre-omicron levels without any NPI's in place. (Positivity is 11% vs the sub 10% it sat at pre-Omicron). The omicron wave cause a fraction of the deaths during that period that it had during previous variant waves https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths#card-weekly_deaths_with_covid-19_on_the_death_certificate_by_date_registered

Guess it was mild after all

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

gay picnic defence posted:

Guess it was mild after all

Compared to Delta? yeah. OG COVID? Not so much

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Denmark - 19 February 2022

I was sure I did one on the 18th. WTF.

Anyhow, we still seem to be in the "gently caress it, get it over with" phase as we compress what was months of cases into weeks or even days. Death rates per day way up.

2.55 million cases now out of a 5.8 million population, 120,000 re-infections. Not sure what to deduce from the fact re-infection is 5-6% of daily cases.

Oh and we're up from 3 to 5 deaths in the 0-19 range now in the last few weeks. Poor kids. Still its only 5 out of 4278.

Anyway.

Table 1. Actual and Reported Denmark COVID Cases reported per day
pre:
	Actual	Reported	New	Total
Date	Cases	Cases	Reinf.	Hosp.	Hosp.	ICU		Vent		Dead
==============================================================================================
Feb 19	   ---	33,304	1,837	  399	1,546	37 (+4)		18 (-1)		28
Feb 18	17,454	38,086	1,615	  459	1,615	33 (+2)		19 (+5)		43
Feb 17	34,019	40,600	2,158	  480	1,604	31 (+0)		14 (+0)		44
Feb 16	36,055	42,948	2,407	  459	1,498	31 (+0)		14 (+1)		24
Feb 15	42,006	42,978	2,200	  464	1,523	31 (+6)		13 (+2)		30
Feb 14	45,208	29,474	1,461	  333	1,465	25 (+0)		11 (+3)		41
Feb 13	35,589	38,323	2,039	  314	1,356	25 (-5)		 8 (-1)		30
Feb 12	32,624	44,350	2,259	  427	1,316	30 (-2)		 9 (+0)		37
Feb 11	38,889	48,170	2,968	  421	1,379	32 (-1)		 9 (+1)		24
Feb 10	45,111	53,747	3,205	  415	1,354	33 (-1)		12 (+1)		29
Feb 09	50,253	55,120	3,262	  451	1,332	34 (-5)		11 (-4)		21
Feb 08	55,575	49,798	2,759	  419	1,315	39 (+8)		15 (+3)		18
Feb 07	57,350	34,849	1,836	  314	1,294	31 (-3)		12 (+0)		28
Feb 06	42,234	36,512	1,841	  307	1,203	34 (+3)		12 (+0)		18
Feb 05	33,604	39,190	2,061	  370	1,138	31 (-2)		12 (-1)		35
Feb 04	37,192	40.179	2,241	  376	1,156	33 (+6)		13 (+1)		17
Feb 03	39,792	44,225	2,513	  365	1,116	27 (+1)		12 (-4)		21
Feb 02	40,476	55,001	2,992	  343	1,092	26 (-2)		16 (+2)		20
Feb 01	46,118	45,366	2,515	  337	1,070	28 (-4)		14 (-1)		15
Jan 31	56,397	29,084	1,478	  255	1,028	32 (+1)		15 (+0)		17
Jan 30	34,881	36,196	2,055	  231	  948	31 (-4)		15 (-4)		21
Jan 29	29,907	41,083	2,332	  271	  922	35 (+2)		19 (+0)		17
Jan 28	38,122	53,655	3,263	  305	  967	33 (-4)		19 (-3)		26
Jan 27	39,067	51,033	3,119	  318	  955	37 (-3)		22 (-3)		18
Jan 26	41,695	46,747	3,028	  298	  938	40 (-4)		25 (-3)		14
Jan 25	48,640	43,734	2,856	  318	  918	44 (+1)		28 (-1)		14
Jan 24	53,663	40,348	2,501	  242	  894	43 (+1)		29 (+2)		13
Jan 23	38,017	42,018	2,755	  215	  813	42 (-3)		27 (-1)		12
Jan 22	34,713	36,120	2,285	  220	  781	45 (+1)		28 (-1)		25
Jan 21	37,409	46,831	3,160	  244	  813	44 (-5)		29 (+1)		21
Jan 20	37,420	40,626	2,639	  232	  825	49 (-1)		28 (-2)		15
Jan 19	37,595	38,759	2,285	  248	  821	50 (+1)		30 (+1)		16
Jan 18	40,303	33,493	2,002	  264	  810	49 (-3)		29 (-8)		14
Jan 17	41,486	28,780	1,815	  203	  802	52 (-7)		37 (-4)		11
Jan 16	28,179	26,169	1,614	  159	  734	59 (+0)		41 (+1)		16 
Jan 15	25,188	25,034	1,644	  202	  711	59 (-1)		40 (+4)		16
Jan 14	25,883	23,614	1,519	  215	  757	60 (-4)		36 (-2)		15
Jan 13	23,776	25,751	1,822	  194	  755	64 (-9)		38 (-8)		20
Jan 12	22,575	24,343	1,614	  215	  751	73 (+0)		46 (+0)		25
Jan 11	22,656	22,936	1,459	  181	  754	73 (-1)		46 (-1)		14
Jan 10	23,244	14,414	  941	  156	  777	74 (-3)		47 (-3)		 9 
Jan 09	16,330	19,248	1,327	  126	  723	77 (-1) 	50 (-2) 	14 
Jan 08	13,573	12,588	  984	  161	  730	78 (+0) 	52 (-1) 	28 
Jan 07	14,434	18,261	1,482	  186	  755	78 (-4) 	53 (+4) 	10  
Jan 06	15,417	25,995	2,027	  161	  756	82 (+2) 	47 (-2) 	11  
Jan 05	17,577	28,283	2,083	  204	  784	80 (+3) 	49 (+2) 	15
Jan 04	23,698	23,372	1,701	  229	  792	77 (+4) 	47 (+1) 	15
Jan 03*	25,617	 8,801	  532	  169	  770	73 (-3) 	46 (-4) 	 5
Jan 02  19,906 	 7,550	  404	  163	  709	76 (+3) 	50 (+1) 	15
Jan 01   8,631	20,885	1,049	  139	  647	73 (+0) 	49 (+0) 	 5
Dec 31   9,728	17,605	1,090	  177	  641	73 (-2) 	49 (-1) 	11
Dec 30  19,927	21,403	1,123	  178	  665	75 (-2) 	50 (-2) 	 9
Dec 29  17,245	23,228	1,205	  173	  675	77 (+6) 	52 (+2) 	16
Dec 28  21,955	13,000	  670	  177	  666	71 (+1) 	50 (+4) 	14
Dec 27  22,616	16,164	  639	  115	  608	70 (-1) 	46 (-2) 	 7
Dec 26  10,965	14,844	  644	  123	  579	71 (-2) 	43 (+1) 	13
Dec 25   7,853	10,027	  463	   86	  522	73 (-1) 	44 (+5) 	10
Dec 24   7,054	11,229	  527	  134	  509	74 (+2) 	39 (+1) 	14
Dec 23  12,605	12,487	  613	  158	  541	72 (+6) 	38 (+1)		15
Dec 22  11,591	13,386	  531	  126	  524	66 (-1) 	37 (+2)		14 
Dec 21  13,011	13,558	  501	  121	  526	67 (+1) 	35 (+2)		17
Dec 20  13,288	10,082	  ---	   85	  581	66 (+3) 	33 (-2)		 8
Dec 19  10,231 	 8,212
Dec 18  10,049 	 8,594
Dec 17  10.614	11,194
Dec 16  10,171 	 9,999
Dec 15  10,775 	 8,773	  ---	   96	  508	66 (+0)		43 (-3)		 9
Dec 13  10,294 	 7,799	  ---	   61	  480	64 (-1)		42 (+0)		 9
Dec 12   6,986 	 5,989	  ---	   82	  468	65 (+5)		42 (+6)	 	 9
Dec 08   6,560 	 6,629	  ---	   72	  461	66 (-1)		38 (-1)		 7
Dec 01   4,464 	 5,120	  ---	   88	  439	35 (+1)		35 (+1)		14

Table 2: ICU Bed Usage, Weekly (reported every 2 weeks)
pre:
Date      		Bed Availability
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
31 January  	313 ICU beds, 27 COVID, 75 available
24 January  	322 ICU beds, 38 COVID, 72 available
17 January  	328 ICU beds, 54 COVID, 66 available
10 January  	331 ICU beds, 72 COVID, 29 available
03 January  	331 ICU beds, 76 COVID, 32 available
27 December	316 ICU beds, 71 COVID, 62 available 
20 December 	317 ICU beds, 60 COVID, 59 available
13 December 	319 ICU beds, 64 COVID, 39 available
06 December 	310 ICU beds, 67 COVID, 10 available <-- squeaky bum time here
29 November	318 ICU beds, 61 COVID, 25 available
Sourcea:
https://www.rkkp.dk/kvalitetsdatabaser/databaser/dansk-intensiv-database/resultater/
https://covid19.ssi.dk/overvagningsdata/download-fil-med-overvaagningdata
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/242ec2acc014456295189631586f1d26
https://covid19.ssi.dk/virusvarianter/delta-pcr

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

Death rates per day way up.

But is excess mortality way up?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Steen71 posted:

Don't know.

I looked at the deaths in ICU from the RKKP biweekly reports.

From 01 November to 30 November there were 113 ICU patients, and 19 deaths (Delta). No breakdown by vaccine status.
pre:
Date	Cases		Deaths		<2 Shots	2 Shots		Boosted
09 Dec	113		19		---		---		---
22 Dec	219		46		13/105		31/92		2/14
06 Jan	329		92		27/152		47/122		9/24
20 Jan	406		118		42/212		62/146		14/48
03 Feb	450		138		51/231		67/155		20/64
17 Feb	496		158		60/246		74/161		24/89
The 06 Jan report (covering up to about 31 December) and before would be largely Delta due to the time lag from exposure-symptoms-hospital-ICU-morgue. After that it's a mix of Delta and Omicron by the latest report would presumably be pretty much Omicron and BA.2.

So in December the baseline is (Jan 06 numbers minus 09 December) and so about 216 ICU cases and 73 deaths.
In January (up to 03 Feb report) an additional 121 cases of a Delta-Omicron mix with 46 deaths.
In February so far 46 more cases and 20 deaths.

I should point out that half the total cases up to January 31 were in January 2022. We already knew Omicron was putting fewer people overall in the ICU anyhow.

Looking at the "less than 2 shots" you see "mostly Delta" from 22 Dec report to 20 Jan report killed 29 of 107 cases, whereas from 20 Jan to 15 Feb was 18 of 34.

Omicron is plenty lethal in unvaccinated, I'd say.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 20, 2022

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steen71 posted:

For 85+ it definitely is, 75-84 and probably 65-74 are also experiencing an uptick. Most disconcerting 15-44 is also appearing to increase. But you are asking a complicated question, that relates to the determination of "excess" and when deaths are counted. Denmark uses specific - normally low excess death - weeks in the preceding 5 years, so with 2 years of COVID "excess" is becoming "expected" (it is calculated based on weeks 16-25 and 37-44, which in Denmark's case involved ~1.5-2 registered COVID deaths per day). Meanwhile there is some delay in death reporting, meaning you get some assumed development that can be poor at capturing rapid near past developments.

Either way you can look at the graphs here (note that these aren't confidence intervals and the lowest line is expected deaths; everything above the lowest line is excess): https://www.ssi.dk/sygdomme-beredskab-og-forskning/sygdomsovervaagning/d/overvaagning-af-doedelighed

Pingui fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 20, 2022

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
It just looks to me like we currently have no worse numbers than we did in early 2018. And, sure, that was pretty bad, but I think it's perfectly understandable that the authorities can't justify restrictions.

From https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steen71 posted:

It just looks to me like we currently have no worse numbers than we did in early 2018. And, sure, that was pretty bad, but I think it's perfectly understandable that the authorities can't justify restrictions.

From https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

First a tip: remove the other countries from the displayed list to get a useful graph:

2018 was a particularly gnarly flu season, so using that as a baseline, instead of the actual baseline is not a reasonable way to compare well... anything. Compared to worst case, things are less bad by definition.

Moreover and what I addressed in the prior post, COVID deaths are starting to be calculated into the baseline. When you look at 2018, the baselines used for comparison are not the same. They look the same and barring a perpetual pandemic the measurement works fine, but the pandemic deaths are starting to be priced in.

You can call the removal of restrictions reasonable if you don't mind a future where the deaths are a fixture of life I guess; in a few short years the normalization will be complete in the numbers :shrug:

I - personally - think that is a pretty bleak future, as the current situation with the booster timing is about as good as the winter will ever be and I don't think the authorities can justify it in human terms, even if they succeeded in doing so in political terms.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Denmark - 20 February 2022

Lets be more timely!

For non-Danes, this week was "Winter Vacation" (Vinterferie) in DK, and it seems a reduction in the daily case load - schools closed and a lot of Danes with kids take the week off. I expect numbers to bounce back up next week to about where they were a week ago. There's nothing stopping the virus from hitting whatever "natural" rate of spread is.

At about 1/4 million cases a week,

GF and I were at Bilka (Danish hypermarket) in suburban Copenhagen (in Fields' for the locals) early today and saw almost no masking.

Table 1. Actual and Reported Denmark COVID Cases reported per day
pre:
	Actual	Reported	New	Total
Date	Cases	Cases	Reinf.	Hosp.	Hosp.	ICU		Vent		Dead
==============================================================================================
Feb 20	   ---	25,690	1,381	  241	1,587	40 (+3)		18 (+0)		34
Feb 19	16,316	33,304	1,837	  399	1,546	37 (+4)		18 (-1)		28
Feb 18	26,722	38,086	1,615	  459	1,615	33 (+2)		19 (+5)		43
Feb 17	34,060	40,600	2,158	  480	1,604	31 (+0)		14 (+0)		44
Feb 16	36,055	42,948	2,407	  459	1,498	31 (+0)		14 (+1)		24
Feb 15	42,006	42,978	2,200	  464	1,523	31 (+6)		13 (+2)		30
Feb 14	45,208	29,474	1,461	  333	1,465	25 (+0)		11 (+3)		41
Feb 13	35,589	38,323	2,039	  314	1,356	25 (-5)		 8 (-1)		30
Feb 12	32,624	44,350	2,259	  427	1,316	30 (-2)		 9 (+0)		37
Feb 11	38,889	48,170	2,968	  421	1,379	32 (-1)		 9 (+1)		24
Feb 10	45,111	53,747	3,205	  415	1,354	33 (-1)		12 (+1)		29
Feb 09	50,253	55,120	3,262	  451	1,332	34 (-5)		11 (-4)		21
Feb 08	55,575	49,798	2,759	  419	1,315	39 (+8)		15 (+3)		18
Feb 07	57,350	34,849	1,836	  314	1,294	31 (-3)		12 (+0)		28
Feb 06	42,234	36,512	1,841	  307	1,203	34 (+3)		12 (+0)		18
Feb 05	33,604	39,190	2,061	  370	1,138	31 (-2)		12 (-1)		35
Feb 04	37,192	40.179	2,241	  376	1,156	33 (+6)		13 (+1)		17
Feb 03	39,792	44,225	2,513	  365	1,116	27 (+1)		12 (-4)		21
Feb 02	40,476	55,001	2,992	  343	1,092	26 (-2)		16 (+2)		20
Feb 01	46,118	45,366	2,515	  337	1,070	28 (-4)		14 (-1)		15
Jan 31	56,397	29,084	1,478	  255	1,028	32 (+1)		15 (+0)		17
Jan 30	34,881	36,196	2,055	  231	  948	31 (-4)		15 (-4)		21
Jan 29	29,907	41,083	2,332	  271	  922	35 (+2)		19 (+0)		17
Jan 28	38,122	53,655	3,263	  305	  967	33 (-4)		19 (-3)		26
Jan 27	39,067	51,033	3,119	  318	  955	37 (-3)		22 (-3)		18
Jan 26	41,695	46,747	3,028	  298	  938	40 (-4)		25 (-3)		14
Jan 25	48,640	43,734	2,856	  318	  918	44 (+1)		28 (-1)		14
Jan 24	53,663	40,348	2,501	  242	  894	43 (+1)		29 (+2)		13
Jan 23	38,017	42,018	2,755	  215	  813	42 (-3)		27 (-1)		12
Jan 22	34,713	36,120	2,285	  220	  781	45 (+1)		28 (-1)		25
Jan 21	37,409	46,831	3,160	  244	  813	44 (-5)		29 (+1)		21
Jan 20	37,420	40,626	2,639	  232	  825	49 (-1)		28 (-2)		15
Jan 19	37,595	38,759	2,285	  248	  821	50 (+1)		30 (+1)		16
Jan 18	40,303	33,493	2,002	  264	  810	49 (-3)		29 (-8)		14
Jan 17	41,486	28,780	1,815	  203	  802	52 (-7)		37 (-4)		11
Jan 16	28,179	26,169	1,614	  159	  734	59 (+0)		41 (+1)		16 
Jan 15	25,188	25,034	1,644	  202	  711	59 (-1)		40 (+4)		16
Jan 14	25,883	23,614	1,519	  215	  757	60 (-4)		36 (-2)		15
Jan 13	23,776	25,751	1,822	  194	  755	64 (-9)		38 (-8)		20
Jan 12	22,575	24,343	1,614	  215	  751	73 (+0)		46 (+0)		25
Jan 11	22,656	22,936	1,459	  181	  754	73 (-1)		46 (-1)		14
Jan 10	23,244	14,414	  941	  156	  777	74 (-3)		47 (-3)		 9 
Jan 09	16,330	19,248	1,327	  126	  723	77 (-1) 	50 (-2) 	14 
Jan 08	13,573	12,588	  984	  161	  730	78 (+0) 	52 (-1) 	28 
Jan 07	14,434	18,261	1,482	  186	  755	78 (-4) 	53 (+4) 	10  
Jan 06	15,417	25,995	2,027	  161	  756	82 (+2) 	47 (-2) 	11  
Jan 05	17,577	28,283	2,083	  204	  784	80 (+3) 	49 (+2) 	15
Jan 04	23,698	23,372	1,701	  229	  792	77 (+4) 	47 (+1) 	15
Jan 03*	25,617	 8,801	  532	  169	  770	73 (-3) 	46 (-4) 	 5
Jan 02  19,906 	 7,550	  404	  163	  709	76 (+3) 	50 (+1) 	15
Jan 01   8,631	20,885	1,049	  139	  647	73 (+0) 	49 (+0) 	 5
Dec 31   9,728	17,605	1,090	  177	  641	73 (-2) 	49 (-1) 	11
Dec 30  19,927	21,403	1,123	  178	  665	75 (-2) 	50 (-2) 	 9
Dec 29  17,245	23,228	1,205	  173	  675	77 (+6) 	52 (+2) 	16
Dec 28  21,955	13,000	  670	  177	  666	71 (+1) 	50 (+4) 	14
Dec 27  22,616	16,164	  639	  115	  608	70 (-1) 	46 (-2) 	 7
Dec 26  10,965	14,844	  644	  123	  579	71 (-2) 	43 (+1) 	13
Dec 25   7,853	10,027	  463	   86	  522	73 (-1) 	44 (+5) 	10
Dec 24   7,054	11,229	  527	  134	  509	74 (+2) 	39 (+1) 	14
Dec 23  12,605	12,487	  613	  158	  541	72 (+6) 	38 (+1)		15
Dec 22  11,591	13,386	  531	  126	  524	66 (-1) 	37 (+2)		14 
Dec 21  13,011	13,558	  501	  121	  526	67 (+1) 	35 (+2)		17
Dec 20  13,288	10,082	  ---	   85	  581	66 (+3) 	33 (-2)		 8
Dec 19  10,231 	 8,212
Dec 18  10,049 	 8,594
Dec 17  10.614	11,194
Dec 16  10,171 	 9,999
Dec 15  10,775 	 8,773	  ---	   96	  508	66 (+0)		43 (-3)		 9
Dec 13  10,294 	 7,799	  ---	   61	  480	64 (-1)		42 (+0)		 9
Dec 12   6,986 	 5,989	  ---	   82	  468	65 (+5)		42 (+6)	 	 9
Dec 08   6,560 	 6,629	  ---	   72	  461	66 (-1)		38 (-1)		 7
Dec 01   4,464 	 5,120	  ---	   88	  439	35 (+1)		35 (+1)		14

Table 2: ICU Bed Usage, Weekly (reported every 2 weeks)
pre:
Date      		Bed Availability
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
31 January  	313 ICU beds, 27 COVID, 75 available
24 January  	322 ICU beds, 38 COVID, 72 available
17 January  	328 ICU beds, 54 COVID, 66 available
10 January  	331 ICU beds, 72 COVID, 29 available
03 January  	331 ICU beds, 76 COVID, 32 available
27 December	316 ICU beds, 71 COVID, 62 available 
20 December 	317 ICU beds, 60 COVID, 59 available
13 December 	319 ICU beds, 64 COVID, 39 available
06 December 	310 ICU beds, 67 COVID, 10 available <-- squeaky bum time here
29 November	318 ICU beds, 61 COVID, 25 available
Sourcea:
https://www.rkkp.dk/kvalitetsdatabaser/databaser/dansk-intensiv-database/resultater/
https://covid19.ssi.dk/overvagningsdata/download-fil-med-overvaagningdata
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/242ec2acc014456295189631586f1d26
https://covid19.ssi.dk/virusvarianter/delta-pcr

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Is DK estimating r0 anywhere, Pingui?

1/4 million cases a week, and assuming almost nobody getting Omicron gets it again, the pool of susceptibles dwindles weekly from the roughly 3.3 million at present, at which we have 250,000 infected. Next week, 3.05 million so we should see a drop in new cases, almost 8%. So then next week you could see 8% fewer new cases, 230,000. Dropping the pool to 2.75 million, which drops the cases bit more.

At some point the dilution of susceptibles in the population will lower r0 enough that it drops below 1.0, right? I mean you could enforce things... but nobody has the will.

So where are we on r0?