Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Modders are going to make a lot of use of the caravan system I can see it already.

Coastal city trade convoys across the new and old world.

Adventurer parties of a few heroes and a handful of regular units sent on "quests" in caves and ruins across the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I remember hearing that Herald lords can become greater daemons. How exactly does that work? Is it a dilemma triggered by hitting a certain level or is it buried in their skill tree somewhere?

As Demon Prince they at some point (based on levels I think) get an option to upgrade to Exalted versions of themselves, which resets them to half their level and gives them a completely different skill tree. Sounds like it works differently for monogods though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Had my first crash, when I... added a butcher to one of my stacks? :raise:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Around levels 12 to 16 or so Heralds will get the option to be consumed by an Exalted Greater Demon to summon them in. They seem to give half the xp they have earned to the new Greater Demon Lord.

Also Slaanesh Cav and Chariots have been super great for me so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

deep dish peat moss posted:

As Demon Prince they at some point (based on levels I think) get an option to upgrade to Exalted versions of themselves, which resets them to half their level and gives them a completely different skill tree. Sounds like it works differently for monogods though

I think it works the same.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there much use for the Lord magistrate? his buffs don't seem strong enough to be worth taking his worse-then-casters stat lines

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Man, is it just me or is Tzeentch quite strong? It seems like the enemy is already quite badly messed up by the time they finally reach my lines thanks to the sheer volume of magical shooting the horrors put out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Modders are going to make a lot of use of the caravan system I can see it already.

Coastal city trade convoys across the new and old world.

Adventurer parties of a few heroes and a handful of regular units sent on "quests" in caves and ruins across the world.

every factions trade should work like this imo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

every factions trade should work like this imo

Absolutely agreed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jadebullet posted:

Man, is it just me or is Tzeentch quite strong? It seems like the enemy is already quite badly messed up by the time they finally reach my lines thanks to the sheer volume of magical shooting the horrors put out.

Ogres krump em real good, what with being an army composed mostly of 54 speed hea y infantry.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well into my first game as Kislev, just nabbed my first soul (spent too long the first time in Slaneesh's realm and lost the race to Kairos).

Having fun but holy hell is the performance dogshit compared to TW2, especially on the campaign map but even in battles. I went from getting like 70+ FPS constantly at maxed out 1440p to 30-40fps at 1440p on high ish settings . It looks a little better I guess but nothing that warrants this kind of performance drop.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, the regenerating shields are absolutely ridiculous and give all their units infinite healing. If you're decent at micro you can kill literally anything with some of their faster units unless you're up against Slaanesh.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The only thing holding Tzeentch back are that most his units aren't practically tanky or fast, but the chaos knights with barrier? the soul grinder? you can just keep retreating every time the barrier breaks or just overwhelm with skirmish missiles and end up with a army roster that makes wood elves feel fun to play against.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I finally got one of my neighbours to confederate. I have no have no idea what happened it was just suddenly +4 for them.

Is there some kind of exploit with Miao that I'm accidentally using? She wrecks everything she gets into combat with in dragon form REALLY fast. Like way more than her weapon damage should be able to. It's like the animation is hitting more often than it should.
I also have 3 compasses in her army. It's hard to tell how much of a difference to magic they make.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is there much use for the Lord magistrate? his buffs don't seem strong enough to be worth taking his worse-then-casters stat lines

He's voiced by the Shogun 2 announcer.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Caster can't duplicate the +shooty benefits of Reloading Tactician, I think. Defending Tactician is better if you absolutely, positively have to hold a front with a well-timed buff and taking Caster down the full Red before you get their spells up could cramp your style.

Tactician + Yellow Line will make him far better at surviving fights then the Caster, who has no Yellow Line for precious +Defense buffs. Spellcaster offense is better and their yin or yang passive on cast duplicates the "stand behind the front and support them" functionality of Tactician but it's Medium Melee vs Squishy Caster at the end of the day. And that's a pretty soft Medium without tank items. 40-50+ Defense vs 30ish is pretty meaningful and that's about it.

Shakes up a bit with Longma(Caster) vs Warhorse(Shogunate), or the Shogunate can use a Sky Latern if you really want a set and forget Lord to proximity buff. Shogunate is probably mostly inferior unless you have astromancer/alchemists and demand soft min-maxing by not having a Caster Lord + Caster Hero in an army. Reloading Tactician might beat Caster passives but not good use of Caster spells so if you want to go full super shooty then Shogunate + Caster Hero for an army with full functionality.

Shogunate could probably use a Skaven Chieftain/HElf Everything style touch-up where he helps your empire run better if you level him to 10+ but I wouldn't throw a leveled one away.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I really like the caravan battles. I feel like this game is at its best when you have about 10 units of middling quality.

Is there a way to boost Slaanesh recovery and recruitment? I like the faction itself, but since you’re mainly fighting Khorne and Norsca, it’s a bit boring just mashing different melee units into each other for 90 turns.

Gonna restart my Cathay game after getting smashed by 40 units of those little fat bastards with laser beams on their heads.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This is somewhat funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36QBc9u74zQ

To be clear this is Legend, so if you don't like him feel free to not watch most of it, but the early part seems pretty reasonable no matter who's saying it. Specifically, it's a battle at Praag, and him bringing up just how hilariously nonsensical the capture points and their attached structures are on this map. Like, the key building location has multiple barricades tied to it, but the towers right next to it are tied to a completely different location. Specifically they're tied to a far away capture point much closer to the outer wall, but aren't located such that they provide any defense to that location. So in an incredibly strange design choice, they don't defend the point whose capture destroys them, and the point they can defend is far behind that one. So they basically don't do anything unless the enemy just wanders through the capture point without taking it. Multiple other instances of towers being tied to a point significantly further away than the one they're actually next to as well, and the Victory Point doesn't have anything tied to it. It's incredibly unintuitive for the player, and even understanding the situation doesn't actually help any.

Also that it's basically just a minor settlement map with walls added (as opposed to an actually cool map for Praag specifically), but if it was at least a decent map it'd be less of a problem. As he said, if the designers are trying to live up to the name "The Cursed City" they've succeeded, because the attached structure layout is godawful and nonsensical, and it's just a terrible map for the defender.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I appreciate how Slannesh's realm really makes you think for a second when considering the temptations, it's good theming.

There was definitely a time when I was going through the rings and had it offer me 25,000 gold and a bunch of levels for my lords to turn back. I got the soul but there was a moment or "well I could always come back later..."

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tell me more about building your own Demon Prince SLAMBO

I am delighting in thus far making a very Tzeench/Khorne prince with a two handed maul, meaning he's destructive to infantry, has barrier so can shrug off light damage w/e, is a dedicated hero killer, who flies and casts OP Tzeench magic.

It owns.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo one of the armies in Khorne's realm is a VC army of tier 1 and 2 poo poo. Late game Cathay over here just deleting it in a few volleys.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Skarbrand is horrifying to fight against,

more so when he pops a Potion of Healing :stonk:

Edit: So I'm playing the Survival Battles first time round just to say I have/to look at the pretty maps, but never doing them again afterwards. They're extremely tedious and I haven't even reached doomstack status yet.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 20, 2022

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Just came in from the freezing cold so I feel justified in restating my lamest complaint: why the hell are the Kossars sleeveless?

It looks proper daft, especially because they're wearing massive furs all over, but still have their (admittedly yoked) arms on show. If CA wanted them to seem hardy they should of gone whole hog and made them topless instead of trapping them in this incongruent middle ground.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Something's definitely hinky with butchers, maybe a sound file? It doesn't happen every time, thank god.

I'll see if i can find the crash log and/or I might verify file integrity tonight.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Vagabong posted:

Just came in from the freezing cold so I feel justified in restating my lamest complaint: why the hell are the Kossars sleeveless?

It looks proper daft, especially because they're wearing massive furs all over, but still have their (admittedly yoked) arms on show. If CA wanted them to seem hardy they should of gone whole hog and made them topless instead of trapping them in this incongruent middle ground.

They are the good norscans.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I beat the a chaos realm with 7 turns left on the rifts remaining. Can I just immediately jump back in?

I've left Nurgle and Tzeentch for last, although heard they're the worst ones.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

They are the good norscans.

If they were good they'd practice peoper cold weather safety!

More seriously everyone in norsca is consistently naked whereas in Kislev half the faction are dressed for the freezing North and the other half are auditioning for mr universe.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2022

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm also curious about this, I think it would be optimal to have a bunch of groupy demons following your lord around until you got a bunch of greaters.

Since the supply line penalty is so low I put out three new lords as Skarbrand starting around turn five and chain-sacked one of the hostile nearby settlements with them for 10-15 turns. Still works a charm. Got tons of equipment, favor, skulls, nice traits, and random mission clears on top of the xp for my lords to start out the campaign and they all popped the event to transform in short order.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Edit: So I'm playing the Survival Battles first time round just to say I have/to look at the pretty maps, but never doing them again afterwards. They're extremely tedious and I haven't even reached doomstack status yet.

Dearly wish I had autoresolved Tzeentch's just now. Playing Cathay so I ran out of crossbow ammo after the first stage and the only reinforcements they give you for stages 1-2 are halberdiers so I was just spawning sacrificial units to go and walk extremely slowly into walls of fire and slowly grind down the endless waves. Plus I had brought a couple artillery which could barely shoot anything with all the hosed up terrain. Took 45 actual minutes of my life to grind through it. I don't know how playing these AS Tzeentch would even work with a 90% ranged army all under ammo limitations for your best units.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

unsummon guys and resummon them

it heals them and gives them ammo

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

You can use supplies to heal/restock ammo/give winds/vigor your army. It's one of the rightmost icons on the bottom of the toolbar if I'm not wrong.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 20, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok looks like I definitely ran into some weird bug or something with caravans earlier, because now I can only send one at a time. I absolutely sent two at once, but I looked through the tech tree and there's no option to increase the number of caravans at once. I am 99% sure that was a weird fluke.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Electronico6 posted:

You can use supplies to heal/restock ammo/give winds/vigor your army. It's one of the rightmost icons on the bottom of the toolbar if I'm not wrong.

Once I found this button the game became a lot easier

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Ok looks like I definitely ran into some weird bug or something with caravans earlier, because now I can only send one at a time. I absolutely sent two at once, but I looked through the tech tree and there's no option to increase the number of caravans at once. I am 99% sure that was a weird fluke.

I have never been able to send 2

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Nurgle infections are tied to post battle casualties by number so farm those ogre camps and knoblars god drat where are skaven

e: does this mean that campaign mechanics are tied to unit sizes lol

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Twigand Berries posted:

Nurgle infections are tied to post battle casualties by number so farm those ogre camps and knoblars god drat where are skaven

e: does this mean that campaign mechanics are tied to unit sizes lol

I believe Khorne's kill mechanic doesn't account for unit sizes but I haven't checked.

I know one of the Ogre Big Names needs 2,500 kills in a battle, which is tough outside of Ultra.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I really like that settlement battles aren't a pushover anymore. Also I'm actually glad to have cavalry in sieges now. Pathfinding in tight areas and especially around walls still sucks though. Though since the maps are so large they really need to make the max camera zoom level higher.

Lightning strike is less necessary because of the reinforcement changes but it's still pretty stupid. It seems to count the armies you are leaving out of the battle for experience. I lightning strike auto resolved a solo skaven lord next to a 20 stack inside Hellpit and got 5 levels.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

I have never been able to send 2

You can have two caravans away from home at a time, but one has to be on a return journey. Having two caravan leaders generally means neither one will ever be idle because by the time one gets back home, the other one reaches their destination and the first one can start a new trip.

I've also never found a way to have more than that active at a time though

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I haven't started Ogres yet, but to Greaseass Goldtooth get his proper palanquin that he has for the model, or is he just a wheelbarrow boy the entire campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

jadebullet posted:

So I haven't started Ogres yet, but to Greaseass Goldtooth get his proper palanquin that he has for the model, or is he just a wheelbarrow boy the entire campaign?

Geasus never had a Palanquin, just a horde of gnoblars crowd surfing him wherever he wanted to go