Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

CommonShore posted:

They remove older episodes from the feed after like 6 months or so and the archives are only available on wOnDeRy pLuS, you know that app that also does mid-episode reads about murdering children and dissolving their bodies in acid.

Oh, poo poo. I hopped on when Tides started so I've never gone for the backlog, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Okay, will do.

The podcast is called Napalm in the Morning: The Vietnam War in Film.

It is billed as "2 Historians DIVE DEEP on films about the war(s) in Vietnam. Laughs and historical analysis await!"

I started out by listening to their first episode, a look at the movie Full Metal Jacket. I should be all over this; I was a Marine myself, I majored in History (with a concentration in the Vietnam War for grad school) and for comparison I did a ”where I watch”/review of the movie on another message board a few years ago.

The podcast was just bad, for the following reasons.

- It was an hour long summary with no analysis whatsoever. The hosts summarize the movie - "and then they do this, and then this happens." And that’s about all they do - this wasn’t a “deep dive,” it was a shallow skim at best. They also cite incorrect sources (or fail to cite sources) repeatedly. (Edit: To explain "failing to cite," they talk about how the movie was based on the book The Short Timers. They never mention that a LOT of the dialog came from a more famous book, Dispatches.)

- They’ve clearly never been in the military. That’s fine, you don’t have to be a former jarhead to know what the Marine Corps is, but they make all kinds of basic errors that could have been avoided by reading a Wikipedia article or two. Or, if you’re doing a military-themed podcast, get a guest who was in who can maybe help out. As it is, one of the co-hosts is a self-proclaimed “gun nut” (a big red flag) who made a big deal about identifying a rifle used in the movie. This really wasn’t important.

- There's little or no attempt to place the movie in any sort of historical context, either on the level of what the movie was about (the Tet Offensive in Vietnam) or when it was filmed (the militaristic Reagan era). If the hosts are, in fact, Historians (they're called "Dr" in the podcast listing) I have to wonder what they're teaching. You would think a Historian would do this; establish the situation. maybe compare it to other Vietnam movies from the same era, you name it. But they didn’t give more than a sentence or two of context.

- They don’t look at the movie from a “film” perspective. There’s no discussion of what it’s intended to symbolize or mean. Kubrick, who directed the film, is a master film maker, and they mention this a couple of times, but what did he bring to the film that makes it different or better? Yes, the sets were mentioned, but that’s not a “deep dive.” As far as any sort of “film school” analysis, it’s all barely touched on.

The hosts claim to be “funny.” It didn’t come across. The only humor they showed was playing some of the dialog from the movie, then laughing, then moving on to summarize the next scene.

All in all, they spent entirely too much time just summarizing the movie in a “Cilff Notes” manner, but didn’t give anything beyond that – and when they DID try to talk about war stuff they made all sorts of glaring errors. They would have been better off giving a brief summary and calling in people who know what they’re talking about, either as historians or film buffs or as people who know the military.

Vietnam war movies could be a great subject for a podcast. But not this one. It’s a waste of time, just skip it.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 16, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure any podcast that bills itself as funny isn’t. It’s a rule

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Film Podcasts are notoriously garbage. Seeing garbage like How Did This Get Made get huge convinced every two bit "Comedian" that they can slap a movie on for two hours, and then bullshit for an hour and rake in the cash. Going in on Vietnam was probably just their ill advised hook to differentiate themselves from one of the most over saturated markets there is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

no podcast that advertises "laughs" in the description is good

e. what's almost as bad as the never-funny jokes in my historical podcasts is the dumbass analogies. Like who is going to tune in to a podcast about, uh, idk Roman Britain, fail to understand the historical discussion you're offering, but then grasp it once you give a (for instance) Kim Kardashian analogy?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 16, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gaius Marius posted:

Film Podcasts are notoriously garbage. Seeing garbage like How Did This Get Made get huge convinced every two bit "Comedian" that they can slap a movie on for two hours, and then bullshit for an hour and rake in the cash. Going in on Vietnam was probably just their ill advised hook to differentiate themselves from one of the most over saturated markets there is.

I think you could do a good podcast about how Vietnam is portrayed in movies. You could cover subjects from John Wayne's stupidly gung ho Green Berets to anti war movies.

But this podcast is not the one to do it.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 10, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CommonShore posted:

no podcast that advertises "laughs" in the description is good

e. what's almost as bad as the never-funny jokes in my historical podcasts is the dumbass analogies. Like who is going to tune in to a podcast about, uh, idk Roman Britain, fail to understand the historical discussion you're offering, but then grasp it once you give a (for instance) Kim Kardashian analogy?

History podcast jokes only really work if they are dry. I think the English history guy is pretty funny but he says the joke and moves on in one fluid motion

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
a podcast where the hosts just replace a word in the title of a movie of tv show with the word "penis"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dalmuti posted:

a podcast where the hosts just replace a word in the title of a movie of tv show with the word "penis"

Thats pretty good actually

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dalmuti posted:

Tempted to make this podcast and use this exact title.

Episode 1: The Mary Penis Moore Show.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 17, 2022

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Last Tango in Penis

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Edward Penishands

wait

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CharlestheHammer posted:

History podcast jokes only really work if they are dry. I think the English history guy is pretty funny but he says the joke and moves on in one fluid motion

Dry, exactly, or droll. The History of English guy (my apologies if that's who you meant) will set up a Raymond Holt tier dry/droll remark for like 15 minutes and its the corniest poo poo ever but it consistently makes me crack up aloud whenever it lands.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Peter Adamson of History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps is excellent at hitting terrible puns without breaking stride.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Are you Peter Adamson

e: oh wait you said terrible, yeah I agree

busalover fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 17, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah this is one of the things I love about Anthony Kaldellis, he makes these random jokes, chuckles about it himself, then just moves on.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Just wanted to give a heads up - new Fall of Civilizations episode just dropped! The Vijayanagara Empire - which is new as all hell to me.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
This time he starts at the literal beginning of life on Earth. But it's pretty interesting so far

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I just listened to the entire thing on a long bus ride and really enjoyed it. Classic history podcaster moment when he literally says at the 1 hour 9 minute mark, “and that’s where the story Vijayanagara really begins.”

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a board game nearing the end of development on this episode's subject.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/334363/vijayanagara-deccan-empires-medieval-india-1290-13

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Are there any good podcasts on the history of the Christian church out there aside from Communio Sanctorum? I started listening to CS after seeing it recommended a lot but I was really put off by the way he talks about Jews and Judaism. In the first episode he paints the rabbis of Jesus' time as a bunch of squabbling out-of-touch relics and in the second he flat out describes Judaism as existing to pave the way for Jesus. I'm very interested in church history but not so much in being preached to and told that my religion is just so much scaffolding for the true faith.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eldoop posted:

Are there any good podcasts on the history of the Christian church out there aside from Communio Sanctorum? I started listening to CS after seeing it recommended a lot but I was really put off by the way he talks about Jews and Judaism. In the first episode he paints the rabbis of Jesus' time as a bunch of squabbling out-of-touch relics and in the second he flat out describes Judaism as existing to pave the way for Jesus. I'm very interested in church history but not so much in being preached to and told that my religion is just so much scaffolding for the true faith.

Depending on what you want, History of Philosophy has a good run on the early church. Roughly episodes 101 to 119, but you will probably want to listen to his earlier episodes on Plotinus given how much the early church draws on him. Of course, Peter Adamson focuses on, well, philosophy and theology rather than say political or social history.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm subscribed to but haven't listened to The History of the Early Church, which focuses on 30-451. It looks like they just baptized Constantine, but the last episode was September 2021. It looks like there's a couple other breaks in the feed so the host might be taking a break?

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Arrhythmia posted:

Depending on what you want, History of Philosophy has a good run on the early church. Roughly episodes 101 to 119, but you will probably want to listen to his earlier episodes on Plotinus given how much the early church draws on him. Of course, Peter Adamson focuses on, well, philosophy and theology rather than say political or social history.

I've been going through History of Philosophy slowly enough that I've just come to think of it as a Greek philosophy podcast lol. I might skip ahead and check those episodes out, or it'll be something to look forward to.

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'm subscribed to but haven't listened to The History of the Early Church, which focuses on 30-451. It looks like they just baptized Constantine, but the last episode was September 2021. It looks like there's a couple other breaks in the feed so the host might be taking a break?

That's the period I'm most curious about atm so that sounds perfect.

Thank you both for the recommendations!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Philosophy stops at Plato. Everything else is nonsense.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I got interested in the gnostics and neoplatonists a while ago, and found a Youtube channel covering christianity (mostly)
https://www.youtube.com/c/RyanReevesM/featured
maybe something for on the side

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Eldoop posted:

I was about to suggest Pontifacts, but that's about the Popes and not specifically early church stuff. Other people's suggestions sound better.

chagrin
Jan 31, 2007
Full of vinegar and baking soda
Timely because I wanted to thank whoever recommended Apocrypals a while ago. I'm only a couple episodes in but there's some good discussion of the context and history of the books of the Bible being discussed in the episode. I also find the hosts entertaining without being cringey.

On this topic, any recommendations for something that goes into the political, social, and theological history of the Reformation? It's something I don't know a lot about and it seems like there's just a ton of interesting stuff to cover. I've been reading MacCulloch's History of Christianity, and while I haven't yet gotten to that time period, he seems to focus too much on the theology/philosophy and not enough on the social and political for me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

5 and a half hours from Carlin on the triangle trade. I dunno, man.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

5 and a half hours from Carlin on the triangle trade. I dunno, man.

How many hours in before he tries to both sides slavery?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sydin posted:

How many hours in before he tries to both sides slavery?

Dang it, I was about to make that joke.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
"listen folk, I'm not about to say slavery was good, but imagine you're stepping into the boxing ring and the other guy is 500 pounds of pure muscle with gloves made out of iron? you're not going to be the bad guy for wanting every advantage you can muster because if you DON'T you're gonna get creamed. if you run a plantation back in those days you don't really have a choice, you're going to go out and get your iron gloves too!"

(I have not listened to dan carlin in several years, or roughly 4 episodes, but this feels accurate)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If the other boxer had gloves made of pure iron, I would simply point that out to the referee.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Declaring that you're doing an episode on slavery despite everyone telling you not to, then saying that you won't use modern or controversial sources because they are either too political or too complicated is one hell of a start to an episode :stare:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

egg tats posted:

"listen folk, I'm not about to say slavery was good, but imagine you're stepping into the boxing ring and the other guy is 500 pounds of pure muscle with gloves made out of iron? you're not going to be the bad guy for wanting every advantage you can muster because if you DON'T you're gonna get creamed. if you run a plantation back in those days you don't really have a choice, you're going to go out and get your iron gloves too!"

(I have not listened to dan carlin in several years, or roughly 4 episodes, but this feels accurate)

You have his voice down 110% :golfclap:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Declaring that you're doing an episode on slavery despite everyone telling you not to, then saying that you won't use modern or controversial sources because they are either too political or too complicated is one hell of a start to an episode :stare:
:psyduck:

Personally have fallen away from HH, and I guess this won't be the one that convinces me to come back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think there is anything that could ever make me listen to a Hardcore History episode again. Maaaayyybe if he did 30 minute self-contained episodes about ancient subjects, but even then his worldview is just not a lens I want to look at history through. Whatever historical subject might seem interesting, there's likely a great podcast already out there from someone whose politics I can respect more.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This made me check and make sure I was unsubscribed from Hardcore History.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

This made me check and make sure I was unsubscribed from Hardcore History.
Not sure exactly why but this made me giggle like an idiot.

Speaking of the subscription list, I'm afraid that Inward Empire, the enlightened pop history yin to Hardcore History's bloated yang, is never going to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

HH is definitely something I have and listen to due to inertia. The Pacific war one was ok but even that just felt overly long with some odd and poorly researched tangents. His "not-a-historian" defense is becoming too much of a shield to say bad poo poo. The Addendums aren't great either. The guy he got to talk about Iran was genuinely interesting, but his questions are always so inane and focused on bullshit. Then the thing with Max Brooks was ok if wasn't for all the liberal auto-fellatio coming from the two of them. There's just such a lack of nuance these days.

I'll listen to the new one, but I wonder if it'll kill it for me...