Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

RandolphCarter posted:

space ghost coast to coast is on hbo max, and it is still funny

hell yeah. gotta get on that shambrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

space ghost coast to coast is on hbo max, and it is still funny

Space Ghost and Mr. Show have had more of a developmental impact on me than anything else.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i just watched the Operation Hell On Earth episode/sketch last night and oof Bob in brown face.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im watching dont look up and why is leo's character such a loving beta are all the climate and virologists this loving worthless irl

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

im watching dont look up and why is leo's character such a loving beta are all the climate and virologists this loving worthless irl

Just because you're very smart with one field, doesn't mean you necessarily understand other stuff. I think the movie's depiction is true to life. Climate scientists are objectively correct and have good intentions, but those skills don't translate to affecting power.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I love you so much that it's time for you to go to sleep

because that's what it means to love a woman so much

:)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

now I'm just wallowing in a sea of Space Ghost, the Flipmode episode is still perfect

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The worst celebrity death of the last ten years was C. Martin Croker. He was so good playing off of George Lowe.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

he's a powerless lib that gets swallowed by the system and accomplishes gently caress-all until the climax where they delude themselves into thinking they gave it their best shot. he's the best part of the movie

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i say swears online posted:

he's a powerless lib that gets swallowed by the system and accomplishes gently caress-all until the climax where they delude themselves into thinking they gave it their best shot. he's the best part of the movie

that just makes me mad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

that just makes me mad

that means the movie made you feel something, that's a good thing

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I used to think “the story of Everest” was just a good sketch, but then I heard how angry shooting it made the audience and now it is fine art.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

i say swears online posted:

i mean, I think he DID actually give it his best shot (but also is human - and corrupted by capital)

the punchline is giving it your best shot DOESNT MATTER!
:dehumanize: :lmao: :lol:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i think it's reasonable to plot out a course of action that is solely limited to "i need to work within western media to accomplish my goals" when you've been brought up in a system where western media is completely dominant

like any one of us would probably be like "gently caress this, i need to go talk to president xi before literally anyone else" but can we really fault leo for going to the US president and then the US media?

but maybe i'm giving the film too much credit

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Nichael posted:

The worst celebrity death of the last ten years was C. Martin Croker. He was so good playing off of George Lowe.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lib and let die posted:

can we really fault leo for going to the US president and then the US media?

yea

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I'm a knife.

Knifin around.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/StevieVanZandt/status/1494798189450469380?s=20&t=9j6SJ2LubnL9t5T6tvbMEw

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that means the movie made you feel something, that's a good thing

It was also written by Bernie Bro Dave Sirota lol

Which is probably why it ends up roasting liberals and alt right Trump fans more than anything else.

The liberal media got especially outraged how they didn't get a glowing image in the movie.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still one of my favorite late night moments ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsNeVA4XqUc

Just perfect delivery lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

etalian posted:

Which is probably why it ends up roasting liberals and alt right Trump fans more than anything else.

The liberal media got especially outraged how they didn't get a glowing image in the movie.
Oh that's probably why I got a holier-than-thou tone from the movie which I felt was off-putting

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

which is really funny because getting a bunch of rich idiots to go 'oh well guess nothing can be done but at least we TRIED and CARE' is the most lib thing possible. Literally just libs looking in a mirror and getting mad

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/starwars_chars/status/1493070010566148096?s=21

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

jar jar never got the respect he deserved. the disney wars movies is our collective punishment

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

jar jar never got the respect he deserved. the disney wars movies is our collective punishment

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i just watched the way we were and its a super weird movie in that it romanticizes divorce and dead end relationships not by saying these are ideal life trajectories but by treating them like meaningful life experiences to be appreciated nostalgically as irreconcilable differences over which no one had any realistic control

its a movie that straight up celebrates the fact that no one develops as a character or learns anything and its so blatant in this message that its really obvious how influential it was because compared to say love story the characterization feels ridiculously modern

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

which is really funny because getting a bunch of rich idiots to go 'oh well guess nothing can be done but at least we TRIED and CARE' is the most lib thing possible. Literally just libs looking in a mirror and getting mad

The most lib thing possible was watching the movie where Elon Musk destroys the planet trying to mine the asteroid, and then writing articles citing the movie as a reason for why we have to depend on the business community to stop covid.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The most lib thing possible was watching the movie where Elon Musk destroys the planet trying to mine the asteroid, and then writing articles citing the movie as a reason for why we have to depend on the business community to stop covid.

yeah, a lot of the film went over the Lib media's head.

Like how it also roasted the cozy relationship the media has with the White House to push junk science or foreign policy disasters.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

etalian posted:

yeah, a lot of the film went over the Lib media's head.

Like how it also roasted the cozy relationship the media has with the White House to push junk science or foreign policy disasters.

I get why some people wanted to very reactively hate the whole movie for not being subtle, but it was as unsubtle as it could possibly be and people still didn't get it. The whole context surrounding the movie makes it way funnier than it would be on its own.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mark Rylance did an amazing job with the character. Just the perfect combination of Thiel, Musk, Zuck, and Jobs.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The scene where he totally dismantles Leo's character in a borderline fit is probably the most self-aware thing David Sirota has ever written.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-VjkVDbmDI

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 13:19 on Feb 19, 2022

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Mark Rylance did an amazing job with the character. Just the perfect combination of Thiel, Musk, Zuck, and Jobs.

He's always been an incredible actor but yeah the post-credits scene with what happens to the tech bro/1 percenter survivors was pretty hilarious.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The scene where he totally dismantles Leo's character in a borderline fit is probably the most self-aware thing David Sirota has ever written.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-VjkVDbmDI

Silver lining: the algorithm was wrong!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

Silver lining: the algorithm was wrong!

It only predicted he would die alone with 96.5% accuracy, so the model is sound.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i own the IP on the machine that predicts peoples' deaths but whoops they all seem to be on the same day and from the same thing: "comet." oh well full steam ahead on asserting my company's right to mine a comet for minerals

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Jackie Chan is a god

(and like all gods he has a complicated relationship with his children)

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

~~~2 tWisTed~~~

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1494824551913607179

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this sucks. I very unironically think The Riddler whips rear end and is probably one of Batman's best baddies because he's just a big dork who's obsessed with proving how smart he is even to his own detriment, which actually makes him Batman's best genuine 1:1 foil and rival despite him not typically being the 'high stakes' sort of antagonist.

Don't make him ~TwIsTeD~, he's a loving dork!!!! That's why he's fun you dumbasses!!!!