Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I didn't like the fact they dropped the involvement of the US government with Star-O. Flagg gave his life to get the hard drive, and the rest of the crew fought off Peacemaker to keep it. Then at the end they realize they could blackmail Waller with it, and that's it? It felt selfish for rest of the crew, especially for Harley who was closest to Flagg.

There's also a scene towards the end with them walking away from the score of dead civilians that felt gross to me. It felt like a ton of over the top gore and destruction and nothing was really fixed in the world except for the immediate issue with Star-O.

They're all rear end in a top hat villains who don't care about the world or else they wouldn't have ended up on the SS in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
That too

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I didn't like the fact they dropped the involvement of the US government with Star-O.

If they publicized the information it would be "Oh, the US Government did something evil again." followed by someone changing the channel. And also they'd all be dead. It's morally pure, but practically stupid. They did the important thing, which was

quote:

There's also a scene towards the end with them walking away from the score of dead civilians that felt gross to me. It felt like a ton of over the top gore and destruction and nothing was really fixed in the world except for the immediate issue with Star-O.

you know, save the entire rest of the city and help overthrow the brutal military dictatorship. It's far more than nothing, and nowhere near nihilistic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It even shows Bloodsport’s daughter getting to look proudly at her dad for what they did to save Corto Maltese. The ending was bittersweet but far from nihilism, just like this show.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

They're all rear end in a top hat villains who don't care about the world or else they wouldn't have ended up on the SS in the first place.

But don't we spend the whole movie seeing that they're not all bad and that they can become friends and do good?

It seems to me that Gunn tries to portray them as villains but also that they have redeeming qualities, and I don't think he's always able to pull it off.

This is why Vigilante doesn't work for me. He's introduced as an immoral psycho, and in this case he might be on the right side, but he doesn't better himself and it feels weird that the audience should be on his side.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Seeing as how he follows Peacemaker around like a puppy I think it's fair to assume Peacemaker's growth will probably extend over to him.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

You cant expect too much if any growth with Vigilante, he's a straight up psychopath, he has no empathy, he's not really going to change as a character. The only reason he'd likely stop killing innocents/ unnecessary killing isn't because he feels bad but because it might damage his friendship with Peacemaker or those in the team. His transgressions aren't really ignored or accepted by anyone, it's more he's a means to an end for a team that relies on cold blooded murder and little questioning of who the targets are, he's basically Amanda Waller's dream assassin. Peacemaker himself in I think the first episode starts to realise his friend is incredibly dangerous when Vigilante basically says he enjoys the killing whereas Peacemaker has his code and in his damaged mind has been doing what he must as a means to the end for the greater good, he doesnt do it for fun, but because to him it's his calling. It's quite likely that while Vigilante claims to be doing it to stop crime it's because that's Peacemaker's whole deal which he's latched onto because he idolizes him. Chris can grow and change because he's a good person deep down that has been severely damaged by abuse from his father. Maybe they will change it up in season two, but right now I think Gunn is just having Vigilante be the lovable almost puppy like psychopath that has to be kept in check by the rest of the team.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 19, 2022

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mulva posted:

If they publicized the information it would be "Oh, the US Government did something evil again." followed by someone changing the channel. And also they'd all be dead. It's morally pure, but practically stupid. They did the important thing, which was

you know, save the entire rest of the city and help overthrow the brutal military dictatorship. It's far more than nothing, and nowhere near nihilistic.

I guess at the end the hard drive felt pointless to me. Flagg was the moral center and it seemed like the rest of the crew were on his side until the end, when they used it for their own release.

Why not follow along with Peacemaker then, wouldn't that also end up with being released?

Also, I don't know how much they knew or cared about the local politics. They killed the crap out of the rebels, and it was again Flagg as the only one who knew and cared what was going on.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

They were very clearly pissed that Waller put Peacemaker there to murder them

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Just Chamber posted:

You cant expect too much if any growth with Vigilante, he's a straight up psychopath, he has no empathy, he's not really going to change as a character. The only reason he'd likely stop killing innocents/ unnecessary killing isn't because he feels bad but because it might damage his friendship with Peacemaker or those in the team. His transgressions aren't really ignored or accepted by anyone, it's more he's a means to an end for a team that relies on cold blooded murder and little questioning of who the targets are, he's basically Amanda Waller's dream assassin. Peacemaker himself in I think the first episode starts to realise his friend is incredibly dangerous when Vigilante basically says he enjoys the killing whereas Peacemaker has his code and in his damaged mind has been doing what he must as a means to the end for the greater good, he doesnt do it for fun, but because to him it's his calling. It's quite likely that while Vigilante claims to be doing it to stop crime it's because that's Peacemaker's whole deal which he's latched onto because he idolizes him. Chris can grow and change because he's a good person deep down that has been severely damaged by abuse from his father. Maybe they will change it up in season two, but right now I think Gunn is just having Vigilante be the lovable almost puppy like psychopath that has to be kept in check by the rest of the team.

thats rather absolutist. They can write characters how they want; there's nothing stopping vigilante from learning. Psychopathy doesn't make you incapable of learning, you just can't really make the same sympathetic connections most people can.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And Vigilante clearly has people he cares about and feels emotions. He just has a very warped sense of morality.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

But don't we spend the whole movie seeing that they're not all bad and that they can become friends and do good?

It seems to me that Gunn tries to portray them as villains but also that they have redeeming qualities, and I don't think he's always able to pull it off.

This is why Vigilante doesn't work for me. He's introduced as an immoral psycho, and in this case he might be on the right side, but he doesn't better himself and it feels weird that the audience should be on his side.

I don't think you have to be on his side to find him amusing. I think for psychopaths the best they can manage is convincingly appearing normal and refraining from doing acts they understand are regarded as bad. I don't think Vigilante can be taught the value of life and he has nobody around him with any right to teach him anything about it. Someone really could sit him down and explain to him some basics of human interaction though, ya know, useful murder skills for him to know for stealth.

Psychopath unfair though. Its more That Boy Aint Right

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also the point of Vigilante's character is that anyone who does what the Punisher does would be like him.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You guys do know we don't inherently have our sense of empathy in-built. It has to be taught for the most part. Remember all of the 'sharing is caring' and 'think about how they feel!' childhood lessons from tv and school not to mention getting hurt by someone and realising 'wow this sucks to have happen'?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I want these for the other 7 episodes now, but I don't know how to search for specific content on Twitter :corsair:

Relevant Tangent posted:

I skipped the intro after the first couple of times tbh.

Hhhisssssssssssssss :catstare:

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1494432659208085516

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I forget, what was Waller's motivation for planting the crazy diary in Peacemaker's trailer?

Also once the butterflies start dying off or get found out, aren't there going to be massive losses in the government and big business? I doubt it's the type of story Gunn would be interested in telling, but it's fun to think about.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

I forget, what was Waller's motivation for planting the crazy diary in Peacemaker's trailer?

once he takes out the butterflies they send in the cops and lone gunman him

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

grittyreboot posted:

Also once the butterflies start dying off or get found out, aren't there going to be massive losses in the government and big business? I doubt it's the type of story Gunn would be interested in telling, but it's fun to think about.

The second part definitely feels glossed over. Wasn't there a computer screen showing a massive worldwide infection? It'd be a shock when a large number of the population dies off suddenly.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Tunicate posted:

once he takes out the butterflies they send in the cops and lone gunman him

I can appreciate a show that explicitly shows killing senators and three letter agencies setting up some home grown terrorism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The second part definitely feels glossed over. Wasn't there a computer screen showing a massive worldwide infection? It'd be a shock when a large number of the population dies off suddenly.

that was 'suspected' butterflies so could be accurate or not

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tunicate posted:

that was 'suspected' butterflies so could be accurate or not

Also if each huge circle only represented one butterfly that's still not that many.

Watched the gag reel, never thought I'd see someone ask the T-1000 if he's heard of bukkake and blumpkins, but now I really really want to know what his answer was.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VagueRant posted:

I'm down for the internet to fall in love with Song/Goff and want an insane twin reveal in season 2 BUT I do feel like the guy who plays Murn isn't getting enough credit.

"EVERY TIME I TURN AROUND, ONE OF YOU IS DOING SOMETHING hosed UP!" is hands down one of the best cuts/deliveries in the show.

yeah his actore is genuinly great and i love how much range he can do with facial expressions. like when peacemaker yells at him that Odo was a psycho, you can see him visibly upset about it because he legit didn't plan for the dude to be a wannabe joker

i mean i think he will have more growth in season 2 but he is very clearly supposed to be the comic relief character.

https://twitter.com/davi_a86/status/1495045282857463808
https://twitter.com/davi_a86/status/1495044740013776910

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Peacemaker as the Doom guy cover

I love this one.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

VagueRant posted:

I'm down for the internet to fall in love with Song/Goff and want an insane twin reveal in season 2 BUT I do feel like the guy who plays Murn isn't getting enough credit.

"EVERY TIME I TURN AROUND, ONE OF YOU IS DOING SOMETHING hosed UP!" is hands down one of the best cuts/deliveries in the show.

I want the twin reveal to go:

Peacemaker: How are you alive?

Song2: I'm Asian. I moved my gall bladder up to take the place of my brain that the alien bug ate.

Vigilante: Told you!

Peacemaker: What? Really?

Song2: No, you ignorant gently caress-wits. I'm her sister.

The best part of that with Murn is that's the butterfly reacting that way. Like, I cannot loving believe these creatures. Maybe Goff-fly was right after all.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

He's not an immoral psycho, he's a law-abiding psycho which the DCEU is full of, frankly. Also he absolutely betters himself, he lets them talk him out of killing the vets. Also people who say he has no empathy are incorrect, witness the tears when he fucks up failing to kill Peacemaker's dad.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I love the part where Murn compares them to the Apple Dumpling gang.

Harcourt: Who are the Apple Dumpling gang?
Murn: Incompetent dinguses!
Economos: But they always triumph in the end...
Murn: gently caress YOU, JOHN!

It's the cheerful way Economos takes the insult compared to Murns sincere anger, gets me every time.

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy

jabby posted:

I love the part where Murn compares them to the Apple Dumpling gang.

Harcourt: Who are the Apple Dumpling gang?
Murn: Incompetent dinguses!
Economos: But they always triumph in the end...
Murn: gently caress YOU, JOHN!

It's the cheerful way Economos takes the insult compared to Murns sincere anger, gets me every time.

Also is kind of funny because the super bad guy mercenary has the apple dumpling gang as a readily accessible reference in his hijacked brain.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The butterfly could've watched it as there's a shot of him at home watching some old movie and enjoying a bowl of slime

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The butterfly could've watched it as there's a shot of him at home watching some old movie and enjoying a bowl of slime

Oh true, maybe butterflies' limited grasp of human expression leads them to more earnest less ironic/sarcastic toned old media. But then Murn is shown to have some grasp on sarcasm, perhaps as the most human[?] of the butterflies.

LadyThorne fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 20, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think Murn was determined to start experiencing human life/culture after he decided to basically commit suicide by starvation. That's what all of the talk about emotions and him watching cartoons was about. The rest of the butterflies we get to see looked down on humanity. Well, except maybe the one in the first episode. Or in other words...

Tunicate posted:

Perhaps the butterflies would have been successful if - instead of attempting an autocratic takeover and acting as literal parasites upon the working class- they had joined forces with humanity as equals to usher in a dictatorship of the proletariat.

Sadly their bourgeois nature - exemplified by their disdain for measures which would improve the lives of the general populace (populism) was their downfall, and caused the deaths of hundreds of innocents and also some cops.
:hmmyes:

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy

itry posted:

I think Murn was determined to start experiencing human life/culture after he decided to basically commit suicide by starvation. That's what all of the talk about emotions and him watching cartoons was about. The rest of the butterflies we get to see looked down on humanity. Well, except maybe the one in the first episode. Or in other words...

Certainly I would hope the butterflies appearing and saying publicly after getting out of their little spaceships, hey we blew up our planet with climate change maybe you stop doing that would have been as effective as their possess one senator plan [we are if I recall correctly never given an indication of political affiliation or ideology - the butterflies possesing people and turning them into moderate corporate dems would've been a good joke actually ]- also I guess there's still a shitton of them if we go by the map in that one episode.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

LordThorn posted:

Certainly I would hope the butterflies appearing and saying publicly after getting out of their little spaceships, hey we blew up our planet with climate change maybe you stop doing that would have been as effective as their possess one senator plan [we are if I recall correctly never given an indication of political affiliation or ideology - the butterflies possesing people and turning them into moderate corporate dems would've been a good joke actually ]- also I guess there's still a shitton of them if we go by the map in that one episode.

It's been a while, but I think that's the plot of BrainDead.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Can an image be a thread title

https://mobile.twitter.com/raxytto/status/1494834715332911104

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm really tripped out at the fact that the opening song is only from 2010 and not actually 80's glam rock.

Anyway, here is an acoustic version of the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFqBLpPiMw

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

itry posted:

I think it's more that Murn was seeking validation of his decision. I mean, it's not just suicide. Murn is going to exterminate his entire species through a slow, ugly death by starvation. So he's watching human TV programs with the idea that "These people, this culture really is worth me doing this horrific thing to myself and everyone I ever knew from my homeworld, right?"

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I was sort of thinking about other ways to get Annie Change back and you know actually, they could add her as Song or Goff to the hallucination ghost pile with Auggie.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The one thing I would have liked to see addressed (and god help me if it was and I missed it) but what was the butterfly life cycle on their planet? They've apparently evolved as intelligent parasites, but also have spacecraft for their nonhosted selves. Were their original hosts intelligent or not? It would be completely insane if they discovered their ability to burrow into a beings brain and access their memories and body and replace the functional brain by happenstance upon reaching earth

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 20, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I made a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5LM_2QENw

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pile of brown posted:

The one thing I would have liked to see addressed (and god help me if it was and I missed it) but what was the butterfly life cycle on their planet? They've apparently evolved as intelligent parasites, but also have spacecraft for their nonhosted selves. Were their original hosts intelligent or not? It would be completely insane if they discovered their ability to burrow into a beings brain and access their memories and body and replace the functional brain by happenstance upon reaching earth

Well they apparently flew to Earth in tiny butterfly-sized space ships. So whatever hosts they had on their home world probably couldn't survive on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Everyone posted:

Well they apparently flew to Earth in tiny butterfly-sized space ships. So whatever hosts they had on their home world probably couldn't survive on Earth.

But they said earth was a match for their planet