Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The sickly oceans and wind-swept WoR funeral march speak to the devastation pretty well, too.

Let's not leave our that Doomgaze, Phunbaba, and the eight (nine?) dragons are all released as a consequence of Kefka's actions. He'd used his light of judgment to cow people while Celes was stranded, but he's probably also entertained watching Phunbaba terrorize orphans. Everyone else exists just to die for his amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Did anyone use the L1 shortcuts in FF7R and if so how did you map them? I'm pushing into optional post game / hard mode stuff and have been exclusively using the menu so far, but I'm wondering if shortcuts would help me play a bit more efficiently (especially for Tifa).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it fair to call Yu Yevon a villain at all when he ceased being a conscious, thinking being long before we even see him?

Yes. It was his goal and plan that instigated everything and it being horrible and terrifying to live in Spira was what he wanted and what he did.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Party Boat posted:

Did anyone use the L1 shortcuts in FF7R and if so how did you map them? I'm pushing into optional post game / hard mode stuff and have been exclusively using the menu so far, but I'm wondering if shortcuts would help me play a bit more efficiently (especially for Tifa).

Pretty much never, shamefully

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only villain who truly succeeded in his plan was Marche :can:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its really simple kefka is an evil jester with a personality and yu yevon is a blob with no personality... kefka wins.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Looks like next time I play FF6 I'll be counting town populations in both the WoB and WoR and compare accordingly.

I did this for FF2 which is how I found out Emperor Mateus is responsible for killing literally half the world's population.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yu Yevon took a world that had airships, television, cars, skyscrapers and giant robots capable of blowing up the universe and destroyed it so hard that they went back to riding chocobos and living in straw huts. Yuna even straight up says that villages don't get much bigger than Kilika because Sin will show up and destroy them if they do. And he'd been doing this for thousands of years.

Yu Yevon absolutely destroyed Spira harder than Kefka did to FFVILand.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Right? There were only four towns left in the whole world at the end of FFII

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yu Yevon gets owned by a couple of Blitzball players, a voodoo belt lady, some hornless gently caress, and several competent people. Kefka requires a magically-engineered super soldier, a mechanically-apt king, and a gambler with the world's deadliest dice to take him down at minimum.

Kuja is undetermined because the other side has Steiner so Kuja never had a fair chance to begin with.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Kuja wrought a lot of damage for someone who doesn't wear any pants.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

steiner ftw

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Looks like next time I play FF6 I'll be counting town populations in both the WoB and WoR and compare accordingly.

I did this for FF2 which is how I found out Emperor Mateus is responsible for killing literally half the world's population.

Mateus is a severely underrated villain. A lot of people don't go back to older towns in that game but there's fewer and fewer NPCs as the game goes on because Mateus genocided them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm playing Dissidia NT and MAN are these cutscenes awkward as hell

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Mega64 posted:

are you counting moogles or no?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't understand Dissidia NT's DLC, a bunch of stuff just says not available and I can't find just a season pass to just buy all the I assume DLC characters and skins/weapons

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ardyn is also a villain who got everything that he wanted.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yu Yevon took a world that had airships, television, cars, skyscrapers and giant robots capable of blowing up the universe and destroyed it so hard that they went back to riding chocobos and living in straw huts. Yuna even straight up says that villages don't get much bigger than Kilika because Sin will show up and destroy them if they do. And he'd been doing this for thousands of years.

Yu Yevon absolutely destroyed Spira harder than Kefka did to FFVILand.

Yeah but my point is that the land itself seems fine in Spira, it's human civilization only that suffers. Meanwhile i always got the impression that if Kefka kept ruling the WoR would look like 2300 AD in Chrono Trigger. He's a blight on the planet itself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Were not all the scars on the calm land caused by sin loving poo poo up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Yu Yevon gets owned by a couple of Blitzball players, a voodoo belt lady, some hornless gently caress, and several competent people. Kefka requires a magically-engineered super soldier, a mechanically-apt king, and a gambler with the world's deadliest dice to take him down at minimum.

And yet, they still couldn't truly defeat Yu Yevon, and Sin comes back to ruin the Eternal Calm to say "Surprise fuckers, death is certain." Kefka is completely loving dead and gone. Sorry but the immortal blob who cannot be stopped from its rain of death will always be a better villain than one that didn't even achieve his goals.

And I know people will say "But he destroyed the world!" but remember Kefka's speech when you fight him. He wants to destroy hopes and dreams. He failed, because the party uses their hopes and dreams to give them the strength to defeat him. Kefka's plan failed, Yu Yevon's plan succeeded, Yu Yevon is the better villain, end of story.

Mega64 posted:

Kuja is undetermined because the other side has Steiner so Kuja never had a fair chance to begin with.

Maybe if Steiner was at level 1...no, wait, even then, Kuja doesn't stand a chance. Steiner is the best and strongest character.

e:

Frionnel posted:

Yeah but my point is that the land itself seems fine in Spira, it's human civilization only that suffers. Meanwhile i always got the impression that if Kefka kept ruling the WoR would look like 2300 AD in Chrono Trigger. He's a blight on the planet itself.

That's a fair point actually, though it's hard to say because Kefka ruled the world for a total of...six months? I forget how long Cid says Celes was unconscious. While the world is in bad shape, it does seem like Kefka wants to see people suffer, so it's probably unlikely that it would become completely incapable of supporting life (though he does say he wants to destroy life along with hopes and dreams, so who knows).

Yu Yevon's goal isn't really to see people suffer (although that's a consequence of his actions) so destroying the planet isn't really going to be on his agenda, just the two commands he gave Sin, which are destroy any town that gets to be too big, and destroy any town that contains machina weapons.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 19, 2022

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Party Boat posted:

I’m nearly done with my FF7R hard mode playthrough and the shortcuts are a godsend for more smooth and efficient combat, so much that I hope they add more in the sequel. That being said I mostly rely on them for melee chars Tifa and Cloud, off the top of my head these are the abilities I shortcut and what I use em for:

Cloud:
- Triple Slash (square): great multi hitting move that closes distances and tags multiple enemies, usually open with this
- Focused Thrust (triangle): builds good stagger when pressured
- Disorder (x): high damage transitional combo from operator -> punisher mode, make sure you end the punisher hits with holding square to get a brief berserk buff activated
- Counterstance (circle): high damage counter, this is probably the most important to have shortcutted

Tifa:
- Unbridled Strength (square): bread and butter for chi charges
- Focused Strike (triangle): stagger builder
- Divekick (x): good move to cancel into after launchers, essential for shortcutting imo
- Starshower (circle): great combo starter as it buffs the next move, hits multiple enemies

For Barret and Arerith I mostly just use the menu because of their play style, but I do like Focused Shot and Maximum Fury for Barret and Soul Drain and Arcane Ward for Aerith shortcutted.

Also I used to put the big damage abilities for stagger state on shortcuts (i.e. Infinity’s End for Cloud, True Strike for Tifa etc) but they aren’t used often so I just use the menu for those.

Hope this helps! I love the combat in FF7R, it’s surprisingly in depth and is actually super fun to try solo VR mission runs with characters. Bahamut solo speed running is a trip with Cloud!

Boy of Joy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 19, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Were not all the scars on the calm land caused by sin loving poo poo up.

The Calm Lands' desolation is caused by Sin and the Final Aeons fighting there, but Sin also carves the world a new asscrack with a gravity laser in the FMV before you fight him with the airship

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

imo "how well they accomplished their goals" is a bad way to judge whether a villain is good since it discounts things like "how well are they written" or most crucially, "how good is their theme music"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Procrastine posted:

imo "how well they accomplished their goals" is a bad way to judge whether a villain is good since it discounts things like "how well are they written" or most crucially, "how good is their theme music"

You're right, but someone specifically brought up "Kefka succeeded at his plan" as evidence for why Kefka is good, so if that is the standard for what makes a good villain, then Kefka fails at that standard while other FF villains don't.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Arist posted:

It wasn't so bad under Kefka, at least the Phantom Trains ran on time
It no longer exists under Kefka. All the people who died since Kefka took over, their souls are still wandering the planet and haunting other people to this day. Everyone will eventually exist as some specter with unfinished business who cannot ever cross over.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gologle posted:

Ardyn is also a villain who got everything that he wanted.

Sort of. He got most of what he wanted except sticking it to Bahamut.

If the Episode Noctis DLC came out and was finished, he'd have done that as well though and then history recognizes him as the true first king but c'est la vie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Scalding Coffee posted:

It no longer exists under Kefka. All the people who died since Kefka took over, their souls are still wandering the planet and haunting other people to this day. Everyone will eventually exist as some specter with unfinished business who cannot ever cross over.

Well, I thought it was funny, at least...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Procrastine posted:

sephiroth stays winning

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta be Kuja man, One Winged Angel is okay, Dark Messenger slaps

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Extreme is a theme that I feel rarely gets brought up in villain music discussions and I was almost going to say it's better than Kuja's, but relistening to Dark Messenger it really is the gold standard for FF villain music I think.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sephiroth stays winning

sephiroth is the best villain of all time. his sword is awesome and his hair is really cool too

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I meant "theme music" as in what plays in their cutscenes and not their battle theme fwiw. This is why Zeromus is a bad villain despite the FF4 final boss music being top tier.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sephiroth stays winning

Sephiroth gets Birth of a God as well. You can't even compete with this guy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Extreme is a theme that I feel rarely gets brought up in villain music discussions and I was almost going to say it's better than Kuja's, but relistening to Dark Messenger it really is the gold standard for FF villain music I think.

The Extreme is insanely good. The section that hits at about 2:40 in is one of my favorite moments in FF music.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The FF villain who most successfully executes their plan and achieves their goal is Ilberd in FFXIV.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Does Shadowbringer count as Emet's boss theme? There's also To The Edge.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sephiroth has three banger themes and is unstoppable

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

OhFunny posted:

The FF villain who most successfully executes their plan and achieves their goal is Ilberd in FFXIV.

:hmmyes:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yu Yevon is technically more successful in his goals of perpetuating his own existence forever via his dumb luddite church feeding him a constant supply of Final Aeons and suppressing knowledge of anything that could possibly fight them. He pulled that off for a thousand years to the point where he's a cultural establishment, while Kefka just aimlessly burns the world with a giant magnifying glass from atop his garbage tower until he got ganked after less than a year.

That said, Yu Yevon can hardly be said to be enjoying his victory. He's deranged and senile and his personality is eroded to the point he's basically just a tick, an embodied chunk of cultural inertia who doesn't even have enough consciousness to really understand its own actions, just perpetuating the cycle of abuse on pure practiced instinct. Kefka at least seems like he's having fun, he derives actual satisfaction and glee from slowly burning civilization to the ground in a grand act of nihilism.

Kefka burned bright and faded away, while Yu Yevon sold out and forgot why he he even got into the jrpg villain scene. It used to be about the villainy, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
All the music in ff14 slaps. You get to some minor boss event and you get this insane prelude remixed track that blows the roof off