Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If you were sent a dev kit you were also sent contact information for a team in valve dedicated to assisting optimizations or fixing errors for steamos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

In order for developers to get support from Valve they have to take their desk to Valve HQ and push it against other desks until someone accepts them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lol at the poor gamecube and switch emulation performance of the Aya Neo, which is more powerful than the Steam Deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUl3ubGe4UE&t=770s

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The United States posted:

lol at the poor gamecube and switch emulation performance of the Aya Neo, which is more powerful than the Steam Deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUl3ubGe4UE&t=770s

I’m not saying he’s completely wrong but it’s really weird that dolphin runs better on the Odin.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like there must be something going on with his device behind the scenes that's making performance worse somehow. Some background windows processes eating up resources, a bad dolphin config, or a hosed up power profile or something. There's no way that a 5-year-old phone SoC can outperform a 30-watt Zen 3 APU in CPU tasks.

Here's another video about the Aya Neo Next that focuses on emulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpL-gORBuTE

Also note that while this thing is definitely better than the Steam Deck at emulation, it's not gonna be better at running non-emulated games (natively or through proton) due to the weaker GPU, so it's not strictly a more powerful device (also, lol at calling an aya neo device a "steam deck ripoff")

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 19, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I feel like there must be something going on with his device behind the scenes that's making performance worse somehow. Some background windows processes eating up resources, a bad dolphin config, or a hosed up power profile or something. There's no way that a 5-year-old phone SoC can outperform a 30-watt Zen 3 APU in CPU tasks.

I just watched the RCG video and he said it had no issues with GameCube and like most of the wii library.

https://youtu.be/IwAKGs777-4

At 22:00

I dunno what wulf is on about.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm probably the weird one here. I'm looking at this as a portable pc for sure. But also more like a steam controller got a screen. But either way, my use case is expected to be just using on the couch or laying in bed. In in those scenarios, it really doesn't need to be that high end. I'll play some games locally, but as long as they have good controller support (or community support to make controllers work), I can always just use steam link from my main pc.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Nah, you're not alone. The Deck's basically gonna be a Moonlight vehicle for me.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Definitely gonna play a lot of games on this, and the smaller screen and portable nature means I don't need to push the hgihest frames at hte best quality. Those games that require that can still be played on my monster pc with its ultra wide monitor. But I can probably finally play through the witcher 3 for example.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I played Witcher 3 on switch and it was super fun.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I played Witcher 3 on switch and it was super fun.

I've heard its a pretty good game for handheld but the witcher 3 on switch, a modern miracle honestly, was a bit too ugly even for my stomach.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's super ugly but on a 6 inch screen you don't really notice it too much. Just like how the settings required to play a lot of games on the steam deck will make them super ugly but you won't notice too much on a 7 inch screen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah it was a bit blurry for sure but in portable mode I didn't care at all, I was just getting into the game and story.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

homeless snail posted:

You can run Proton right now, the numbers are known, there's not much overhead. Games that are native Vulkan frequently run better than on Windows, DX11 games via DXVK are usually plus or minus 5%
https://flightlessmango.com/

I have a Linux laptop with intel GPU and after clicking “Run this game with compatibility tool”, steam will pull the exact same game files and cloud saves as a windows install and run without any issues.

( At least the lower spec indies I’ve played work fine )

They update the proton layer on a weekly basis, so I have a lot of confidence in the software side of this.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 20, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah it was a bit blurry for sure but in portable mode I didn't care at all, I was just getting into the game and story.

it's surprisingly good because most of the fun stuff about the Witcher isn't the framerate-dependent stuff (i.e. the combat which sucks even at a high framerate)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The W3 looks great on the aya neo and runs really well. It’s a full 800p vs the 540 (or so) on the switch.

I’m not sure I’ll play through it again as I just did but it was an enjoyable portable experience.

It was also nice that my Pc save seamlessly transfers over.

Hell I had a 5 year old save from FC3 that I totally forgot about.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I don't recall reading anything about this, but is the deck supposed to be able to stream a game from another computer? Like a steam link?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Syves posted:

I don't recall reading anything about this, but is the deck supposed to be able to stream a game from another computer? Like a steam link?

Yes absolutely.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Syves posted:

Yes. Also, Steam Link is an app now. Your phone could probably do it

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You can also use Moonlight, Sunshine (or is it Open-Stream now?), Parsec ...

anatomi fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 20, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I haven't tried Moonlight with a Steam Controller, I'm assuming there's no interaction there and it just sees it as a gamepad? You probably would want to go through Steam remote play mostly so you can use steam input and get touchpad bindings and poo poo.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I hadn’t thought of the deck wrt streaming locally. That’s loving killer.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Has anyone made a DIY Deck for streaming use? I love the look of the Deck but can't justify it right now, and would only use it around the house anyway. Presumably an Android big phone/tablet plus a controller grip would be a pretty similar experience.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JammyB posted:

Has anyone made a DIY Deck for streaming use? I love the look of the Deck but can't justify it right now, and would only use it around the house anyway. Presumably an Android big phone/tablet plus a controller grip would be a pretty similar experience.

The Ayn Odin would be perfect for it. It’s only a 6 inch screen though but it’s 1080p.

The base price iirc is $249 and it can do a lot of emulation if that’s your thing.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I haven't used the app, and didn't even think of it for deck, but the Steam Link itself is super nice to stream certain games to the living room TV, or even as a general HDMI extender.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, if you want to stream to a living room, or even just do desktop broadcasting, the Steam Link is really really nice, and with everything hardwired the latency is next to nothing.

Streaming on a handheld strongly depends on what kind of wifi connection you are using. I'm not sure it'll be as killer as it sounds.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JammyB posted:

I stream steam all the time with either my Steam Link plugged into my TV or playing on my iPhone with a controller clip. it’s fantastic as long as you have a solid router and wired Ethernet where possible. It’s honestly good enough of an experience to pass on the Steam deck unless you are actually using the Deck outside the house.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Great, glad to hear that's viable - thanks for the ideas. Presumably the Deck Verified list could be useful for that type of setup too given the focus on controller support and text legibility.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

JammyB posted:

Yeah just grab a phone or whatever tablet and one of the clip on controllers and go nuts, steam link is available for iOS and android.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you have a smart TV then you can probably download Steam Link and play direct from there as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Valve launched its own website to check for Deck Compatibility.

https://bit.ly/35moVZO

My unsupported section isn’t that big tbh

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 23, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some big titles in there. Do all these games really not work, or have some of them simply not gone through testing?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"Unsupported games" are ones that have been tested and confirmed not to work

Untested games are below that, MarcusSA has 1950 yet to be tested

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also I guess lost ark would work if they flipped the switch for it. But some of those not working are VR games.

I’m sure a large chunk of that 1950 would work in the end.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rinkles posted:

Some big titles in there. Do all these games really not work, or have some of them simply not gone through testing?
No, not working means tested and found not to work

I found my list to be similar, I chalk it down to a few categories:

1) VR games (obviously unsupported)

2) MMO or Multiplayer games that must be using an unsupported anti cheat

3) Games that use some sort of third party launcher, like MMOs or Ubisoft games or F2P games

4) Everything else: old or buggy or for whatever reason they don't work

EDIT: Labeled the games to make things clearer, by "Multiplayer" I mean games with competitive multiplayer and thus should have anti-cheat, not coop

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 23, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quake 3 Arena of all things is unsupported, what's going on there

You could install a native source port of course but surely it should run in Proton

https://www.protondb.com/app/2200

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Outriders, Just Cause 2 and the Darksiders games were the standouts to me. That and Watch Dogs 2, but is that a Ubisoft Connect issue?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Watch Dogs 2 has multiplayer with EasyAntiCheat so if they don't let you bypass EAC when playing offline that's why

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Also I guess lost ark would work if they flipped the switch for it. But some of those not working are VR games.

I’m sure a large chunk of that 1950 would work in the end.

Lost Ark still wouldn't really. The controller support in that game is in a partial state. Even those in the lost ark thread that use a gamepad have mentioned needing to use the keyboard at times. Which is a deal breaker for being verified to deck. As said, vr isn't going to happen anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Lost Ark still wouldn't really. The controller support in that game is in a partial state. Even those in the lost ark thread that use a gamepad have mentioned needing to use the keyboard at times. Which is a deal breaker for being verified to deck. As said, vr isn't going to happen anyway.

I use it with a controller and it works 95% of the time and for the times I need to use the mouse the decks thumb pads would be perfect for it.

I don’t ever use the controller except to type but lost ark has a really good onscreen keyboard which I could type with.

Only real issue with LA is that it doesn’t support 16:10.